PDA

View Full Version : Not Your Typical Dungeon Crawl IC

industrious
2010-05-09, 06:03 PM
The room that the five entered was sparsely decorated; aside from the chairs set facing the setting sun, the only real feature in the room was a map, showing the length and breadth of the known world. They had come here for different reasons, and from different lands, but all recognized each other as fellow guild members. All bore the seal of SEUL on their garments. And all knew the face of the only other person in the room.

Marcus Blackstone was not a handsome man. His hair had gone gray ten years ago, his face was unshaven, and he bore several nasty scars, including one that appeared to be from a noose. His voice was quiet and hoarse; his speech slow. But his gaze was level, and his hands neatly crossed behind his back as he nodded towards the seats. One of the Three who led SEUL, his accomplishments were legendary. And he had a task for you.

"Please sit down. Before I explain why you are here, state your name and abilities."

Derjuin
2010-05-09, 07:43 PM
Kinadia bows her head, and with a smile replies to Marcus, "I am Kinadia, a healer of body and mind, and mender of hostilities. I wield magic to close wounds and repair damage, and calm emotions." With that, she takes her seat.

Tyrael
2010-05-09, 07:52 PM
The second of the five to sit is a young woman wearing a leather mask of some kind with glass lenses embedded in front, extending down to a metallic cylinder that hangs from her chin strangely. The odd mask covers her entire face and leaves only her eyes peering out of the lenses, and its straps curve around her bald skull to tie in the back. A skin-tight black bodysuit and corset emphasize the extremely buxom shape of her body and covers her from throat to toe, but leaves her arms bare. She wears two long black gloves that extend to her toned biceps, and her only other adornment appears to be a satchel bag hanging from one shoulder. Little of her bald head can be seen outside the mask, but what parts can be seen are covered in hideous burns.

Her voice, however, is a startling contrast to the allure of her body as she harshly rasps through her mask, "I'm Iskellia, and I can move things with my mind..." she lowers her voice at this last bit, followed by an odd chuckle.

Simba
2010-05-09, 11:00 PM
Vernon

When Vernon enters he seems to be busy counting or calculating something. He looks up for a split second to say: "Hi Marcus", then sits down and continues to work on whatever he is busy with right now.

Vernon is still quite young, but has already a good name in the society. His drive to find out the truth behind mysteries and understand things is legendary. He is also known for being a geek's geek. His clothes are mismatched, but practical as he seems to wear whatevers serves best at any given moment.

Averagedog
2010-05-10, 12:28 AM
Kangar walked in after the third man and wiped something off his face with a loud snort.

"Ello guvner, *cough* *ahem*, Hello Master Blackstone, haven't seen yeh since that last fight long ago since I first joined this fine organization. er, if yeh don't remember, I'm Kangar Thunderfist, the brute that beat the faces of ne'erdowells in the tavern, that is before I joined with SEUL"

Kangar takes a heavy seat on the chair, his legs danging a little as it wasn't designed for people of his shorter stature. Kangar is a dwarf, a rather scarred and cut up dwarf with shaggy manelike hair and gray eyes. He wears fine adamantine chain shirt and an adamaintine pair of gauntlets on his fist. Underneath his armor he wears a Vest with the SEUL insigna intertwined with the name and picture of his father's tavern.

Ella
2010-05-10, 01:29 AM
Tilda takes a seat, and raises her hand to her face to check on her masks positioning, and looks at the group assembled in the room. She is wearing a brightly coloured green dress that sparkled, her hair up, powdered and adorned with matching feathers, this compares strangely with the fact she is also barefoot.

She takes a seat next to Vernon, and peers around the room examining the people carefully before speaking up.

"So Marcus, felt it was time for me to take another break from my research? I am Tilda, and I am for the most part a researcher of antiquities, I also quite the deft hand when it comes to applied necromancy. "

She smiles behind her mask, watching for any reaction from the assembled group.

"I suppose while we are getting to know each other I should mention this, I am infact dead."

Simba
2010-05-10, 01:37 AM
Vernon

At her last words Vernon looks up and says, in a rather toneless and matter-of-fact way: "Miss Tilda, did you become undead voluntarily or was it done to you against your will?"

He looks at her with wide, curious eyes, taking in all the details he can see.

Ella
2010-05-10, 01:51 AM
"Choice, my biggest interest has always been the acquiring of knowledge. Its so easy for the longer lived races, the elves do not realise just how easy they have things in that regard."

She turns to look the young man in the eyes.

"It was a cost of continuing my work, and not one I regret paying."

"So were you not going to introduce yourself to the group young man?"

Simba
2010-05-10, 02:03 AM
Vernon

Blushing, Vernon turns away from Tilda and says: "My name is Vernon Truthseeker. I seek knowledge, just like Lady Tilda does."

Derjuin
2010-05-10, 03:29 AM
Kinadia blinks as Tilda mentions her undeath, and starts to open her mouth. Her eyes trail back to Marcus and she shakes her head slowly, mumbling "She can't be bad if the Society allowed her entrance..." Her smile returns and she chimes in, "I also seek knowledge; this is what led to me joining the Society, after all!"

Ella
2010-05-10, 08:44 AM
"So Marcus apart from showing us your talent at assembling unlikely groups of people in the same room, I am rather curious about what your goal is."

She relaxes back in her chair, enjoying the fact that she had revealed the parts of herself that normally worried the irrational, without anyone desparately digging in their pockets for religious symbols. Perhaps she really was in the company of true knowledge seekers.

"Its the lack of little sandwiches that lets me know this might be serious, so what is it."

Averagedog
2010-05-10, 10:31 AM
Before Marcus can say anything, Kangar Interjects his own opinion.

"Yer Undead yeh pretty lady???' his mouth agape, "Aren't yer supposed to be all icky and falling apart yeh? I had a saying that the only good undead is a dead undead if you know what I'm saying. I crush many a skull with these fists, and not just living ones. As long as you don't touch me, we can be good friends yeh?" Kangar grins a gap toothed grin.

Ella
2010-05-10, 12:11 PM
"I wont touch you, well not in an undead way anyway. You needn't worry friend dwarf there are some cases where I would even hold the undead in place for you to dispatch it."

Averagedog
2010-05-10, 01:33 PM
"Good, we undehstand each otheh then." Kangar says beaming, cracking his knuckles in anticipation of the job at hand.

industrious
2010-05-10, 11:01 PM
As the five sit down, and begin their discussions, Marcus clears his throat. The room instantly becomes silent.

"This will be a six-man group. The five of you, and one other, who has already begun the journey to the dig site. Observe."

The windows blank out, and instead of the setting sun, now show an impressively detailed map of an area. At times, his hoarse, scratchy voice is hard to make out, but he speaks slowly enough that this is not a pressing issue.

"This valley lies in the foothills of the Euclid mountains, a two week journey north of west. About three months ago, a five-man expedition discovered it, along with a set of ruins-here." He gestures at a symbol on the map. "As per standard protocol, they set up a dig site, and began to transmit findings back to us. Three days ago, these message suddenly stopped. We wish for you to find out what happened to the team, and attempt to recover any of their notes on the ruin. Tilda, any further writings about the ruin would be most helpful. Because." His voice tightens, and he his forced to gasp for air.

"We believe that these ruins are a relic of the Times Before. And it is imperative that we recover what we can from such ancient structures. That is what SEUL was originally founded for, and that's what we must do. Are there any questions?"

Tyrael
2010-05-10, 11:41 PM
Iskellia raises her hand. "What are the Times Before?" she asks, curious as a child.

Ella
2010-05-11, 12:30 AM
"And when do we leave?"

Tilda gives turns to look at Iskellia and smiles, it was a good thing to see such interest from the young, after all someday they would be the ones running the society.

industrious
2010-05-11, 12:51 AM
Marcus fumbles for a seat on the window sill.

"As you know, the modern era is not one for others to envy. Small splintered kingdoms, some nothing more than collections of barbarous tribes, each constantly bickering and fighting with each other. Starvation is commonplace in the countryside, and in the cities. Monsters roam freely in the wilderness, and our magic is new enough that we have not eliminated this problems.

But there was a time when all this was not true. A Golden Age of peace and prosperity. Where melons were the size of wagons, and the futile struggle of man against man was ended. Where cities reached into the abode of the gods, and we were masters of sky and sea and land. The Times Before. To find the knowledge of the Ancients, even a scrap of information would help the world achieve its former glory. To understand their secrets, their culture."

Averagedog
2010-05-11, 08:24 AM
"So uh, what happened to these people from the times before?" Kangar ask, not really willing to be left out.

Ella
2010-05-11, 08:54 AM
"And who has command of this mission in the field?" Tilda asks once Marcus finishes his explanation, while she always finds his views and passion on the very reason for the existance of the society, she was eager to get going. This mission was intriguing, and the sooner they left the sooner they could either rescue or recover the previous expedition.

She had a rather sneaking suspicion that the real reason for her inclusion in the group was if, the very worst had happened she was capable of information retrieval from the lips and minds of the dead.

Toliudar
2010-05-11, 10:45 AM
There is a swirl of dust in the corner, and then a halfling is standing there, blinking. She's dressed in long, flowing robes, with flat sandals on her feet. She has striking features and long dark hair, but dust and age seem etched into the lines of her face.

"My apologies for my unavoidable delay. My name is Elzbeta Caracul, and I am a sculptor - of materials and magic. I am relatively new to your organization, so I hope you won't mind the occasional dunderheaded question."

The halfling woman glides over to the chairs to take a place with the others. She examines the map.

"If there are no other plans to expedite the two week travel, I may be able to assist, if there are just the six of us."

Thanks for trying to write me in later, Industrious. I'll try to catch up.

Derjuin
2010-05-11, 08:50 PM
"A true Golden Age that is," Kinadia says, her voice trailing off. She turns inward for a moment, doing what looks like a bit of thinking.

People in the past achieved real peace. What ended such a golden thing? I wonder, also, if peace can be achieved in this era...

When she next looks up, she notices a new face in the room, belonging to a halfling. After her introduction, Kinadia waves in greeting, then turns to Marcus. "We know nothing of the other team's disappearance? Whether it was due to hostilities or becoming trapped in the ruin?"

industrious
2010-05-11, 09:03 PM
"We don't know what happened. To either those who lived in the Times Before, or to our expedition team."

Marcus then smiles-slowly.

"As for who is in command...all of you are of equal rank in SEUL. Therefore, command of the team will be given by seniority. The oldest person in the room, aside from me, of course, is in charge."

Ella
2010-05-11, 09:22 PM
"Well then how about people start putting their gear together." Tilda is unsure of her own age, it all stopped seeming relevant at some point, perhaps Del would know but if she wasn't in charge it was the dwarf and he seemed to have quite the right attitude where action counted.

"So Elzbeta, you said you had a way to assist us make the journey?"

Averagedog
2010-05-11, 09:45 PM
"Are you sure age is the best indicateh of leadehship and wisdom? Who is the eldest in this room? I hope yer not talking about meh..." Kangar says.

He turns to the newcomer gnome and says while scratching his chin nonchalantly, "Why Telerport when we can walk to the site? We can see so much on the way. This is assuming we don't have to get there very fast."

Tyrael
2010-05-12, 12:24 AM
"That depends how far away it is," Iskellia rasps in response to Kangar. "I don't like walking places anyway. After a while all the scenery is the same."

Simba
2010-05-12, 12:46 AM
Vernon

Having listened to all that was said sofar, Vernon speaks up now: "A team has dissapeared, that should be reason enough to hurry, right? It might be too late to save them, but they could be in dire straights, waiting for a rescue while we stroll through the countryside, taking in all we can see. How about planning a stroll for our way back? We should get going as quickly as possible."

Derjuin
2010-05-12, 01:20 PM
Kinadia nods her head in agreement with Vernon. "I agree; it would likely be in the greatest interest of the lost team if we got to the site as soon as we could." After a pause, she asks to Marcus, "Do you have any more information to part with on this, or may we take our leave to prepare?"

Toliudar
2010-05-12, 05:07 PM
Elzbeta

The halfling nods at Tilda, and is about to respond when Kangar speaks up about teleporting.

"I'm not one for missing the scenery, but if there is a chance that this is a rescue mission, I have a way to conjure magical horses to ride, that travel faster and more steadily than any horse, even over mud or water. A journey of two weeks might take us only three or four days. It's very draining for me, and I'd appreciate a chance to rest at the end of the process, but I'd be happy to help out in this way."

Elzbeta, feeling that she has disturbed the flow of conversation enough, turns back to listen to Marcus.

If we assume that walking would take us 2 weeks, Phantom Steeds travelling for 13 hours can probably get us there in 2 days, maybe 3.

Ella
2010-05-13, 02:25 PM
Tilda gets up and heads to the door, when she reaches it she turns back and nods at the assembled group. "Everyone prepare yourselves we leave in half an hour or, the first second after that that our travel is ready."

She then leaves and heads towards her rooms.

Toliudar
2010-05-13, 02:43 PM
Elzbeta

The old halfling hefts an eyebrow at Tilda's quick departure, but says nothing. For someone who faced an eternity of existence, she was a hasty one. Elzbeta turns back to the others.

"I haven't even had time to unpack. I believe can have the, ah, horses, ready for you downstairs in a few minutes."

Unless there's anything else to discuss, Elzbeta nods, and another vortex of dust forms around her. She lifts up and floats out the window.

Six phantom steeds, ready to go when y'all are.

Tyrael
2010-05-13, 05:09 PM
Iskellia

The masked woman shrugs indifferently, then stands up and walks out the door as well, heading to the appointed meeting place.

I've got pretty much everything I need that I can think of, so I'm good to go.

Averagedog
2010-05-13, 07:55 PM
Kangar crinkles his nose in disgust.

"Horses," He mumbles, "never liked em, never liked meh...I'm ready to go whenever everyone else is readeh to go."

Kangar takes out some polish and starts to clean his gauntlets, almost religiously.

Simba
2010-05-14, 09:58 AM
Vernon

"I'll go and get the gear together, then. Should not take too long."

He walks to his room, checks the contents of the pre-packed bag and adds some stuff, then heads to the foodstores to pick up some rations for the road. About 45 minutes afterwards, he is ready to go, waiting for the others next to the horses.

Ella
2010-05-14, 10:28 AM
Tilda finds herself in her small room next to the labs, everything is tidy and in its correct place. That was one of the biggest advantages to her familiar Del sharing the room with her, despite the faint smell he gave off that got worse if he stayed a wolf form for too long.

"Del we are leaving, adventures, now. I assume you have a decent array of gear packed.

She couldn't help but chuckle a little seeing nothing but the portable hole she used for storing more troublesome research specimens waiting on the end of her bed. The little demon had done well and was currently sitting next to the portable hole in the form of a toad.

"Well lets get gone."

She picks up the portable hole and folds it up, putting it inside her spell component pouch, and then picks up the toad and tucks it down the front of her blouse before leaving.

Arriving outside she sees Vernon gives him a slight nod in recognition.

Simba
2010-05-14, 10:31 AM
Vernon

"It is good to be on the road again. I really miss the feeling when I am here. I have to admit, though, that there are times when I feel like being here when I'm out there."

Ella
2010-05-14, 10:42 AM
"It is quite amusing, I prefer taking direct action when it comes to acquiring knowledge, getting out there or down into the laboratory and getting my hands dirty, metaphorically that is."

She reaches to her chest to adjust Del.

"So tell me, what sort of adventures have you had so far, you have the look of youth about you but at the same time the confidence of someone who has done this before."

Simba
2010-05-14, 10:49 AM
Vernon

"I have been on quite a few missions already, over the last 10 years or so. I was born in this building, you see, born into SEUL, so to speak. My parents both work for SEUL. My father leads expeditions while my mother organises things here, at base. Being the curious person I am, I had to know more, always. I was never happy with knowledge alone, I need to understand. That's what drives me, deep inside. Knowledge is only half as useful without understanding. At least that's the way I see things."

Ella
2010-05-14, 11:22 AM
"Born into SEUL, very interesting that is, its an amazing society when you really look at it would you believe when I started my work here I was already dead and desparately hunting for somewhere that I would be allowed to perform my research in peace rather than pieces.

Just be careful with your driving ambition, trust me on this sometimes when you let it consume you unusual things can happen say exchanging life for potential to learn more. The reason I prefer knowledge to understanding is purely because I know that the more knowledge I gain, the more it fits together to form understanding over time, it might seem like splitting hairs but it makes sense from a certain perspective.

So is your desire to understand the reason you don't seem too uncomfortable with my status?"

Simba
2010-05-14, 11:27 AM
Vernon

"I see no reason to be 'uncomfortable with your status', as you put it. I am pretty liberal in my fews as I don't want to judge what I see or find before I know it well enough to have an opinion. By your own words, you decided to seek a longer lifespan in order to be able to learn more. You are no lich, no vampire, so I see no reason to fear you. It is a decission I would not want to make for myself, at least right now. I am still young, you see?"

Ella
2010-05-14, 11:54 AM
"Young enough to show instinctual wisdom rather than crusty old opinions unwilling to look at the world as it is, rather than how you learnt it to be back in your day. Now I wonder where the rest of the team is, because I have no idea how long we get to keep these horses and have no intention of finding out when there is a chance this is still a rescue mission."

Toliudar
2010-05-14, 12:20 PM
Elzbeta settles in the courtyard, a respectful distance from the crusty dwarf, and begins creating shimmering horse-like beasts. For the imperious Iskellia, perhaps a creature of pure black smoke. For Vernon, a friendly looking chestnut mare. Kangor said he didn't like horses...so, perhaps something in the form of an ox would suit him better. For the hasty Tilda, a sleek creamy horse with long slender legs fading to tufts of mist. Kinadia, she didn't have a good sense of yet, so simply created a simple grey stallion. If they were to be spending all day with these creatures, perhaps a sense of aesthetic comfort might make up for the lack of physical amenities.

Simba
2010-05-14, 12:28 PM
Vernon looks the mare meant for him over, then nods: "Nicely done!"

He swings himself onto the beasts back and smiles: "Come on, Adventure awaits us, maidens to be rescued and treasures to be unearthed. And friends to save, of course!"

Derjuin
2010-05-14, 12:48 PM
Kinadia hurries to her room, grabbing her walking stick and ...nothing else. She proceeds to the meeting place, and finds a grey stallion created for her. As she looks the steed over, she nods in appreciation to Elzbeta. "A fine mount indeed! Thank you very much," She says with a quick bow.

She smiles as Vernon finishes his rally, giving a quick cheer afterwards as she mounts the stallion.

Ella
2010-05-14, 01:27 PM
Tilda walks over to her horse and examines it carefully, amazed.

"What a gorgeous horse, just the thing to make a trip faster and the magic involved is most impressive."

She climbs onto the horse slowly easing herself up giggling a little when Del whispers from her chest.

"Treasures to rescue and maidens to unearth indeed."

Tyrael
2010-05-14, 02:28 PM
Iskellia circles around the inky smoke horse warily. She doesn't seem entirely sure what to make of it, but when she tentatively pokes it, her hand passes through like mist. Her eyes widen under the mask, and she lets out a chidlike gasp of wonder. She waves her hand through the horse a few more times, and then seems to decide on something.

Suddenly and silently, the young woman floats into the air, her arms spread as though in flight as she rises upwards a few feet and settles tentatively on the back of the shadow beast. Upon finding the saddle solid enough to sit upon, she jerks in surprise, but the shadow beast only turns its head back and gives her a smoldering look.

Iskellia looks over at Elzbeta, her expression unreadable behind the mask except for her wide bright-green eyes. "What is he?" she rasps, and a torrent of questions bursts forth. "How did you do that? Is it like smoke? Is he real? Can I keep h--" she breaks off suddenly, descending into a painful coughing fit that doubles her over in her saddle. She fumbles for her mask with trembling hands and presses it tightly to her face, sucking huge gulps of air for several moments until the hacking coughs subside.

Iskellia slumps forward wearily in her saddle, still clutching her mask in one hand as she wheezes raspily, idly stroking the shadow horse with her other hand.

Toliudar
2010-05-14, 04:36 PM
Elzbeta

The halfling thought to ask if she could help in any way with the younger woman's coughing, but sensed that such inquiries might be better suited to a later date.

"The shaping of shadow and light, earth and air are all the same, once you get the hang of it. I have a sense that you yourself are working with shaping in a purer form than even me. As for the horse...you're welcome to keep him - indeed, no one else can ride him. But he will vanish by soon tomorrow morning."

Casting about for a way to broach the obvious subject without actually doing so, Elzbeta ventures.

"I've never seen a design like your mask. It might be of tremendous help to my people, out in the desert. I take it that it helps to filter out...dust and the like?"

Tyrael
2010-05-14, 05:27 PM
Iskellia gives a weary snort and shakes her head. "Something like that," she croaks through the mask. "It lets me breathe its own supply of clean air, but..." her voice grows weaker. "...if the seal...isn't tight, then...the outside air... gets in...

She trails off and gasps deep, raspy lungfuls of air for a few moments. Iskellia shakes her head slightly and resumes, her voice back to its normal strength. "I never saw a mask like this either, before I had it. It was a gift," she adds.

Averagedog
2010-05-15, 08:59 AM
Kangar approaches the Ox thoughtfully made for him by Elzbeta. He stares at it sideways puts his hands on his hips then stands straight and stares at the Ox's eyes. The Ox stares back unblinking.

"Well, it is betteh to get this oveh with now eh?"

The Ox doesn't Respond. Kangar finds a wooden crate, drags it over to the Ox, gets a little distances, then sprints. He silently counts down, jumps onto the box, then jumps off of the box to land securely on the Ox's back, pack and all strapped to his back.

Jump Check:
[roll0]

industrious
2010-05-15, 06:15 PM
The phantom steeds truly are wonderful. Tireless, inhumanely swift, and surprisingly comfortable to ride, despite the lack of saddle. Although the lack of noise the steeds make is unnerving, to say the least. There is something amazingly familiar about a steed having the decency to pant or whinny.

Journeying north, the SEUL rescue team, after a hard day's ride, finds themselves on a vast and desolate plain, and are camped in the shadow of the mountains. Night has fallen, and at least one person has nearly fallen asleep atop their mount. Furthermore, having not eaten all day, some find their stomachs in active rebellion against making another move before they are sated.

Toliudar
2010-05-15, 06:47 PM
Elzbeta

Elzbeta drifts softly down off of her ghostly brown pony, sending it fluttering back to the shadows with a casual flick of her hand. As she reaches the ground, Elzbeta bends and scoops up a double handful of the dry, cracked earth, holding it to her nose and inhaling rapturously.

"Ah. Close. Closer than I've been for some time."

She has taken no food or water over the day, but seems unaffected by this. Instead, she takes off her shoes and digs her feet into the loose earth.

Mmmmm. Yes. Better."

She drizzles some of the earth over her robes, chanting. Her skin, already dark, flares black for a moment, while her deep brown eyes turn a bright, reptilian yellow. She turns with a faint smile to her companions and speaks with a formal tone.

"Thank you all for a most enjoyable day of travel. I do my best sculpting at night, and do not sleep very much. My eyes are good in the darkness. If you wish, I would be pleased to keep watch first."

Elzbeta is using Dust Magic to cast extended versions of Mage Armour, Dragonsight and Endure Elements. This should give her, among other things, 130' darkvision and 65' blindsense. Thanks to her ring of sustenance, she doesn't need to sleep much. More than Tilda, of course, but less than some others. I'm assuming that puttering in the dirt for part of the night can still count as restful activity.

Tyrael
2010-05-16, 12:28 AM
Iskellia

Tired and exhausted at the end of a long day of riding, Iskellia slides off her smoky steed, shivering. "C-cold," she chatters as the vast plain's winds sweep around, chilling her through her thin suit. "I'll g-get...some firewood...or something"

Shivering in the nighttime chill, she sets off to Search around for something that might make a good campfire.

[roll0]

Derjuin
2010-05-16, 02:02 AM
Though she seems physically tired, Kinadia hasn't made a gripe about lack of food or water since the trip began, and has in fact not had any of either. She slides down from her stallion, and offers to help Iskellia look for firewood.

Search:
[roll0]

Ella
2010-05-16, 05:43 AM
Tilda feels fine but knows that one of the things that makes people so interesting is all those needs they have, after all she had them herself once. She felt excited though, she was somewhere new and exciting.

Sitting down crosslegged she reaches down to get Del out of her clothes and puts him on the ground infront of herself. "Del time to make yourself useful, return to your true form please."

Once Del resumes his usual form as a small she sends him into the air to look around and investigate the area for any threats or areas of interest.

spot[roll0]

Toliudar
2010-05-16, 01:16 PM
Elzbeta

Smiling companionably as the others settle in, Elzbeta finds a low mound of earth and scoops it up into a loose cone. Perhaps they wouldn't mind. Who first? Kinaidia. The titian sun-priestess already looked like her body had been carved out of the earth. Elzbeta pulls out a small canvas bag of tools and lovingly pulls out what looks like a broad trowel.

Slowly, the cone of earth began to rise and take shape. A human shape. A beatific woman, arms raised and palms upward to the sun, but her face tilted a bit to the side and downwards, as if caught between potentiality and imperfection. A simple, rippling shift that flows into the ground from which the statue seems to spring.

After about twenty minutes and a scraping of earth away, Elzbeta put away her tool. She turns now to a slight magic to finish it off. The earth tones of the dirt and sand gradually transform into vibrant flesh tones, and the shift a shimmering series of floral yellows. Finally, the hair. Hair was always hard. Trying to get the sense of lightness and flow from sand - it was fighting the medium. Still, she did what she could with a few dramatic shadows and a pair of exaggerated highlights.

Elzeta took a step back, her toes curling into the earth, deep in thought. Well, it would be a start. Turning to Kinaidia, she shrugs.

"Well? What do you think?"

Combining the craft skill, sand shaper ability and a touch of Prestidigitation.

Averagedog
2010-05-16, 02:19 PM
Kangar stoically got off, saying nothing of the ache in his lower back and shoulders. He did some stretches to limber up, then unpacked his bag of holding and rummaged for his tinderbox. Finding it he brought it to Kinadia and handed it to her wordlessly.

"I'll take last watch if no one minds. I'm usualleh up and about earleh for my Calisthenics."

Simba
2010-05-17, 12:53 AM
Vernon

Vernon gets off his mount, obviously tired, then sets up camp as good as he can. "I can take all watches after the first one if you want. I don't need much sleep, anyway. Seeing that we can cover most of the night easily maybe double watches would be a good idea."

Another Ring of Sustenance here.

industrious
2010-05-17, 09:21 PM
Iskellia and Kinadia are lucky in their search. Some prior party had left a stack of the stuff behind; there is more than enough to have a cheerful blaze aflame within the next ten minutes, as the flint and tinder had gotten misplaced in the journey, and a mad little scramble for the instruments took place.

Del reports back to his mistress that there is nothing to be seen in the area, but Elzbeta notices something else. There is something approaching the camp.

Toliudar
2010-05-17, 09:53 PM
Elzbeta

Elzbeta's head swivels around, her yellow eyes bright.

"We are not alone."

There is a swirl of wind and dust, and Elzbeta lifts slowly into the air to get a better view. She raises a hand in greeting towards the...whatever that's approaching.

Using Summon Elemental to bring in a small air elemental, who then picks Elzbeta up.

industrious
2010-05-17, 10:10 PM
Elzbeta

The desert halfing knows that something is out there, she can feel it, but her eyes see nothing but grass.

Therefore, the sudden impacts slamming into her chest come as a complete shock to her.

Attack Roll 1:[roll0]
Attack Roll 2:[roll1]

Damage Roll 1: [roll2]
Damage Roll 2: [roll3]

Toliudar
2010-05-17, 10:25 PM
Elzbeta

The halfling cries out with fear and pain. She wobbles in the air but does not fall.

Both attacks hit. Does Elzbeta have any sense what just hit her? Sword, tentacle, big rock, etc?

Initiative, casting Nerveskitter: [roll0]

Seeking clarification before declaring an action. She picked up something moving towards them using blindsense. My understanding of blindsense is that I can see what square someone is in, but not exactly where or what they are. So...relative to me, where is the thing that just hit me, and how big is it?

industrious
2010-05-17, 10:28 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Ten feet in front of you. It's Large. And that was some sort of blunt impact. Make a relevant knowledge check for more information.

Everybody else make initiative rolls in the OOC thread.

Toliudar
2010-05-18, 12:24 AM
Elzbeta

Elzbeta gestures upward, and abruptly shoots fifty feet up into the air. Gesturing and uttering a sharp phrase, Elzbeta sends a ball of dust back down at the creature, coating it with sparkle.

Elemental withdraws 50' straight up and 10' away from the whatever. Elzbeta casts glitterdust, centring it at the space where she sensed the thing that attacked her. Will save DC 18 or blinded.

industrious
2010-05-20, 01:20 AM
Will Save:[roll0]

The spell goes off, and the glitterdust outlines what appears to be a roiling cloud of gaseous vapor.

Simba
2010-05-21, 08:37 AM
Vernon

Raising his trusty Snakebow, Vernon shouts: "It's an invisible stalker!"

Then he shoots at the creature, 3 arrows streaking towards it in rapid succession.

Can I shoot this round already? I assume the bow is ready to use while the place is not secured. Plus we had a short warning.

Full Attack with Serpent bow, using Improved Artifact Affinity, Artifact Strike, Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot:

attack 1: [roll0] damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] plus [roll3]

attack 2: [roll4] damage: [roll5] plus [roll6] plus [roll7]

attack 2: [roll8] damage: [roll9] plus [roll10] plus [roll11]

industrious
2010-05-22, 10:13 PM
Vernon's arrows pierce through the elemental's form, and it howls as its corporeal body dissipates into a fine mist.

Continuing watch for the entire night, the group finds the rest of the evening to be uneventful. The morning comes, and aside from various small creatures running through the brush, the party is alone.

Toliudar
2010-05-22, 11:02 PM
After her desert eyes confirm that the strange wind-creature is indeed gone, Elzbeta descends slowly to the ground. She smiles broadly at Vernon.

"A warrior as well as a scholar, I see. Thank you so much."

She glances with some disappointment at the ground, and then looks around at her companions.

"Much as I might enjoy sleeping out in the honest soil this evening, I...I have no idea why a fog creature would be attacking us, and I don't intend to sleep out in the open. I can create a small place apart, a place very difficult to find. I will be sleeping there tonight...and maybe in the future. You are all welcome to join me."

Pulling out a slender coil of rope, she tosses one end up, and it catches in the air about 20 feet up. She drifts upward and out of sight - and after anyone who wishes joins her, the rope slithers up and also vanishes.

--

The morning dawns clear, and the dark-skinned halfling reappears, spiralling down to the ground.

"I trust you slept well? Same again today, then?"

Once the others have finished breakfasting, Elzbeta summons another set of steeds and mounts up.

Derjuin
2010-05-22, 11:21 PM
Kinadia places a hand on Elzbeta's shoulder and utters a word of healing. "Cure Moderate Wounds!" Afterwards, she gladly follows her into the hidden realm to sleep.

After emerging, she immediately begins praying, forgoing breakfast altogether. After about an hour of prayer, she finds new steeds ready for the next leg of the adventure. "Thank you for supplying these wonderful steeds for us, Elzbeta. They are truly a great boon." She says with a smile, as she mounts the grey stallion again.

She meditated to get her spells for her Apostle side back; same layout as the previous day. Actually, so long as I don't mention anything specific, it should stay the same.

Roll for CMW: [roll0]

Tyrael
2010-05-23, 12:17 AM
Hmm, so much for RP-around-the-campfire.

Good call on cutting the combat short, though. The game was really slowing down.

Iskellia

After the momentary excitement, Iskellia settled down to bed with everyone else. The loud rasping of her mask's breathing proved a minor annoyance during the night.

The next morning, the young woman clambers out of her bedroll with a groan. Eating breakfast seems to be a rather complicated affair through her mask involving valves and airtight chambers, but she eventually fills her belly.

Rising up and packing her belongings, she appears ready to depart with the rest of the group when they are.

Toliudar
2010-05-23, 09:59 AM
Elzbeta

The halfling smiles and sighs with relief at Kinaidia's touch.

"That's much better, thank you."

Ella
2010-05-23, 11:24 AM
Tilda gets Del to switch back to toad form and slips him down the front of her travelling gown. In the morning the night befores events with the invisible stalker seemed so unusual to her, what on earth was it doing attacking a group, and here of all places.

She walks over to her horse, and despite its magical nature she pats it and gives it a good rub down before climbing onto it.

"So how many more days do you think until we reach the site?"

industrious
2010-05-24, 09:55 PM
Onward and outward the group rides. The mountains that loom over them grow closer and closer; the paths grow more and more faint. Finally, they come to a crossroads.

Here, the path splits in two. And while there is neither sign nor post to mark the way, at the fork of the road, an old man lies asleep, his walking stave resting over his chest.

Tyrael
2010-05-24, 11:36 PM
I've seen this somewhere before....:smallamused:

Iskellia stops and stares down at the old man disdainfully.

Simba
2010-05-25, 12:34 AM
Vernon

Vernon looks at the old man, curiousity alight in his eyes: "I wonder what this means..."

Toliudar
2010-05-25, 04:01 AM
Elzbeta

Having learned that a little preparation may be in order when meeting strangers, Elzbeta weaves a pair of simple protections for herself. She calls out to the sleeping man: "Hello? Hello! We're looking for directions, I believe. Can you help us?"

Casting Protection from Evil and Dragonskin on herself before shouting out.

Ella
2010-05-25, 03:54 PM
Tilda stops with the group and simply sits still waiting to hear the mans reply, at the same time she whispers to Del. "Old man asleep on the road, be prepared for anything."

Averagedog
2010-05-26, 09:54 AM
Kangar was up and about far before anyone else, limbering up and doing his morning exercises to make sure that he would be at the top of his brawling game by the time the rest of the group was ready to go. He ate a meal of rations made from home and prepared himself mentally for the ride...

When the party encountered the old man snoring at the sign post, Kangar's first reaction was wondering where the old man's children were to take care of him. But when some of his companions suddenly tensed, he realized that all may not be what it may seem. He got off of his horse, and took his position in front of the party, ready to tackle the old man if need be.

He heard Elzbeta's call to the old man and decided to voice his own concerns.

"'ey Old man!" Kangar shouted, "Where are yeh children? Aren't theh around teh take care of yeh? No respectable old man should be lehft alone. Theh should be respected by their children and their children's children and their children's children's children and their.... oh nevermind, I think you got teh point if yeh heard."

industrious
2010-05-26, 09:12 PM
The old man doesn't respond to any of their actions.

He will not wake. murmurs a voice. High-pitched, and feminine, it rises from below the ground and faintly echoes through the air.

Not until all his descendants are dead, and their ashes scattered to the winds.

Derjuin
2010-05-26, 09:57 PM
Kinadia blinks after hearing the voice, and looks around for the source. "His...descendents? Does someone among us know who he is...?" She looks around to the others, puzzled.

Ella
2010-05-26, 10:03 PM
"You know that sounds like a hell of a lot more fun to me, lets take this quest instead." Del whispers quietly to Tilda, with him close to her skin she can feel his toad heart faint little beat against her skin, and in the heat his rough skin troubles her a little.

Tilda feels shocked, the idea of murdering a group of people to save one person from sleep seemed rather unbalanced at least in her opinion.

"Kinadia, is there anything you can do for him? I would hesitate to attempt to use my powers to assist him unless we know others cannot."

Toliudar
2010-05-26, 10:04 PM
Elzbeta

Elzbeta is somewhat taken aback by the news delivered from below.

"Doesn't sound very...familial. And all I was looking for was directions."

Elzbeta concentrates. Briefly, she rises up off of the ghostly horse, and has a bit of an aerial look-see.

Based on the detailed map that we saw, and the foothills ahead, can Elzbeta hazard a guess as to which way to proceed from here?

Tyrael
2010-05-26, 10:15 PM
"Well, he's clearly of no use," Iskellia rasps through her mask. A nudge from her heels, and her shadow beast continues trotting down the road.

Derjuin
2010-05-27, 12:08 AM
"I can try," Kinadia says, scooting down from her stallion. She walks over to the man and kneels beside him, her hand resting on his shoulder.

"Dispel Magic!" she chants.

Averagedog
2010-05-27, 10:42 AM
"Maybeh this man is cursed" Kangar said stating the obvious, "we should probably inform the clerics of the next town we happen across to spread news of this... ((kangar struggles with this word)) a-nom-ol-y" he said pronouncing each syllable slowly.

Simba
2010-05-27, 12:55 PM
Vernon

Vernon shrugs: "If we can't help him maybe someone else can. A cleric sounds like a good choice. We should really tell the next temple we find about it."

industrious
2010-05-28, 10:18 AM
The dispel has no effect.

No, the voice whispers. He stays here.

Kangar, make a Will Save.

industrious
2010-05-30, 12:38 PM
Kangar frowns for a moment, walks up to Kinadia...and with a word, sends a gout of flame at the young woman.

Everybody roll initiative.

Touch Attack:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
DC 19 Fort Save or be dazed for 1 round.

Tyrael
2010-05-30, 04:29 PM
Wait, who's Kangar? Is that the old man?:smallconfused:
[roll0]

Derjuin
2010-05-30, 05:41 PM
"AH! What..?!" Kinadia shouts, recoiling in pain from the attack.

[roll0] Fort save

[roll1] Initiative

Toliudar
2010-05-30, 09:57 PM
Elzbeta

Kinaida's cry draws Elzbeta's eyes downward again.

Initiative: [roll0]

I believe Kangar is our friendly dwarven brawler, possibly now possessed.

Spellcraft: [roll1], trying to determine whether Kangar just cast a spell or used some other ability.

industrious
2010-05-30, 10:08 PM
Elzbeta:

Correct on all counts.Also, that spell was Orb of Fire.

Ella
2010-05-30, 10:15 PM

Tilda realises with shock that something horrible must be happening to the dwarf to change him so much instantly, possession perhaps either way this was her area of knowledge.

Tyrael
2010-05-31, 01:24 AM
Iskellia, not having enough experience with the dwarf to conclude otherwise, assumes that the dwarf has indeed betrayed them all. She wheels her shadowy mount around even as she begins gathering her unique energies.

[roll0]

Nat 20, wooo!

industrious
2010-05-31, 04:42 PM
((Elzbeta, then Iskellia can act, but we have to wait for Vernon afterwards.))

Tyrael
2010-05-31, 08:19 PM
Iskellia

The masked young woman simply raises her hand and makes a disdainful flicking motion, as though swatting a bug. Suddenly, an enormous pressure slams into Kangar's chest attempting to blast him back and slam him on his back in the dirt. Another mysterious force seems to be wrestling for control of his limbs as he begins to float harmlessly into the air.

Free Action: Quicken SLA: Armament 7d6 (Kangar is flat-footed). [roll0], [roll1], [roll2]
Immediate Action: [roll3]
Immediate Action: [roll4]
Standard Action: Telekinetics: [roll5]. If he fails the Grapple, he is lifted 60ft off the ground.

Toliudar
2010-06-01, 01:27 PM
Elzbeta

Elzbeta gestures for her helpful air servant to zip back down again. Wary of Kangar's fists, she reaches out and taps the dwarf on the back.

"Kangar is possessed! Iskellia, can you convey him away - sometimes, these spirits are tied to a place, and if we're able to move away, we will be safe."

Air elemental: full round movement to move directly above Kangar.

Elzbeta: Defensively (Concentration [roll0]) cast Protection from evil on Kangar.
In case he evades contact, touch attack: [roll1]

Tyrael
2010-06-01, 01:42 PM
Sorry, moving him will take a Standard Action to zip him 120ft, so I'll wait till next round. :smallyuk:

industrious
2010-06-01, 02:00 PM
Will Save:[roll0]

"Kangar" laughs off the attempt.

"Fools. Leave this place."

Toliudar
2010-06-01, 10:42 PM
"I'd be delighted. But we'll be needing to take that dwarf with us."

industrious
2010-06-02, 09:39 PM
"Then go. And leave the man alone, for this is his punishment for cheating me. I will not be denied my revenge."

Kangar feels an abrupt freezing sensation as the spirit leaves his body.

Tyrael
2010-06-02, 09:58 PM
Seeing Kangar go slack, Iskellia abruptly lowers her hand and the dwarf drops back to the ground with a thump.

Simba
2010-06-03, 01:47 AM
Vernon

Vernon, obviously totally surprised by the things going on around him, looks up to see Kangar drop back to the ground.

Initiative: [roll0] - 40 (for being offline) = -15

Sorry, I was offline for the last 5 days and had no time to get to a computer.

Ella
2010-06-03, 02:03 AM
Tilda races to the fallen dwarf, falling to her knees next to him.

She reaches down the front of her blouse and brings out Del, she reaches out to him to help him get back up. "Are you alright friend dwarf?" she asks.

Averagedog
2010-06-05, 12:54 AM
Kangar wakes up with a start. His eyes fly open as he starts sputtering and wheezing feeling like someone sucked all the air from his lungs.

"Whuh happened?" The confused dwarf asked. The last thing he remembered was saying something to the sleeping old man. The Dwarf brushed himself off then stood up ready to continue on the journey.

Did Kangar's body actually take damage btw?

Toliudar
2010-06-05, 08:05 AM
Elzbeta

The halfling shakes her head, confused by the extent to which rage leads to such foolishness. With a gesture, she rises into the air again, still trying to match the landscape in front of her with the detailed map that they'd seen yesterday. She floats back to settle on her mount. Glancing at the others, she points down one of the paths.

"This way seems the most probable course. Unless one of you knows the way, I'd suggest we head that way."

Tyrael
2010-06-05, 11:41 AM
Iskellia nods and croaks, "Let's go, then. We're wasting daylight."

Ella
2010-06-05, 11:55 AM
Tilda gets back to her feet, heads over to her horse, and climbs back onto its back, she pats Del through her shirt to make sure he is safe and secure. "So lets get going, because I for one do not find the idea of scattering ashes to be anything similar to what our goal is."

She rides forwards slowly to allow the group to catch up.

Simba
2010-06-06, 12:35 PM
Vernon

Vernon gets back on his own horse and follows Tilda, silently shaking his head.

industrious
2010-06-06, 02:39 PM
Kangar has taken 23 damage.

As the group continues on its way, they eventually come to a small hamlet at the base of the hills. The villagers shrink back at your approach; cringe at your presence. You get the sense that you are not welcome there...at all.

Toliudar
2010-06-06, 03:00 PM
Given the response of the villagers, Elzbeta raises her hand, requesting that the group halt and back off away from the hamlet to consult.

"It would seem to me that all that we would do by imposing ourselves on these good folk is to cause strife. The rules of hospitality are not understood by all. May I suggest that we give this place a wide berth and continue on with our urgent mission?"

Tyrael
2010-06-06, 05:21 PM
Iskellia nods tersely and spurs her horse onwards past the village. The young woman seems to be speaking less and less as the day wears on, but her rasping breaths through the mask seem to carry a hint of wheezing. It's clear that the journey is taking a larger toll on her than she'd like to admit.

Averagedog
2010-06-07, 12:12 AM
"Aye" Kangar says agreeing with Elbeta, "I'm not for being taken over by a nasty ghost again."

Ella
2010-06-07, 10:42 AM
Tilda simply nods in agreement with Elzbeta's proposal, it made sense to continue.

Simba
2010-06-07, 10:52 AM
Vernon

Seeing the wounds Kangar has suffered, Vernon offers his services to heal him:
"Friend Kangar, would you object to a magical treatment in order to heal your wounds? I can not guarantee success, but I can try. It is a wand I baught e few months back, it usually works quite well for me. It will do no harm, of course. What say you?"

If Kangar agrees, Vernon produces a wand from his pockets and points it at the dwarf. After a few seconds he looks somehow puzzled, then his face alights as Kangar's wounds begin to slowly close.

If Kangar agrees he gets both charges of Vernon's Eternal wand of Lesser Vigor:
UMD roll: [roll0] --> failure
UMD roll: [roll1] --> critical success, Fast Healing 1 for 11 rounds (plus maybe extra rounds for the natural 20 rolled)

Averagedog
2010-06-07, 04:34 PM
Kangar agrees happily with some words of thanks.

((Any healing Kangar receives is maximized automatically))

industrious
2010-06-07, 10:10 PM
At last, the group arrives at their fellow SEUL member's encampment. Canvas tarps and tables piled high with plates, lanterns, and other assorted archeological equipment. Three smaller white tents mark their comrade's resting places; looking inside, one can see worn bedrolls, albeit those of good quality, and another lantern for each tent.

A beaten trail that leads further uphill leads to the ruin. But it is late, and the last thing you wish is to explore such a place in the night, without rest. The stars twinkle through the treetops, and a soft breeze keeps the night air cool. A pastoral scene, if not for the remnants of civilization around you.

Tyrael
2010-06-07, 10:42 PM
Dismounting from her shadowy steed, Iskellia wearily stumbles into a tent, her mask gasping loudly. Too tired and sore from the long journey to think about anything else, she collapses onto the first available bedroll and is asleep within seconds.

Simba
2010-06-08, 01:39 AM
Vernon

All signs of weariness seem to disappear from Vernon as he sees the camp. Without losing time he jumps off his horse and starts searching the camp for clues of the missing group's whereabouts.

search: [roll0]

Toliudar
2010-06-08, 08:25 AM
Elzbeta is also delighted to reach their destination. She too realizes that even her eyes would be better by day, and so she drifts up into the air, tosses up a rope, and vanishes.

She will fly up about 60', set up a rope trick and climb in. Since no one came in with her last night, she figures she's on her own tonight.

Ella
2010-06-09, 08:36 AM
Tilda smiles at the scene they arrived to see, it was so calm and relaxed. She reaches for Del and holds the imp turned toad in the palm of her hand out infront of herself.

"We have arrived Del, and it is time to find out what happened here." She whispers to her familiar.

She starts to walk around the base, using Del's ability to detect magic and detect good due to his demonic nature. She starts at the tents and slowly walks around the campsite.

Using the spell like ability detect magic and detect good.

industrious
2010-06-12, 12:04 AM
Vernon's search reveals that several day's worth of rations and excavating equipment has vanished, and that there are a relatively fresh set of tracks leading to the path. Obviously, the group was last going to the site.

Tilda's imp senses no magic, nor any good. The place is deserted.

Simba
2010-06-14, 12:38 AM
Vernon

"It seems they have gone to the dig, taking the equipment needed for their work and some food, and did not come back."

Tyrael
2010-06-14, 01:59 AM
The loud rasping of Iskellia's mask can be heard from inside one of the tents, like a strangling woman on life support. Her snores remind the party of the latenes of the day and how tired they are from the journey.

Simba
2010-06-14, 02:04 AM
Vernon

"I will keep first watch, who will take over at midnight? I don't need much sleep so some rest will do until then."

Ella
2010-06-14, 12:27 PM
Tilda wonders over to Vernon. "Why would you want to take a watch at all when I don't sleep and my familiar is so clever at keeping watching?"

Toliudar
2010-06-14, 01:28 PM
Elzbeta dreams in the colours of a desert sunset.

Simba
2010-06-15, 12:51 AM
Vernon

"I need but an hour or two of sleep, lady. WHat else should I do but keep watch. Maybe we can pass the night in converse to make it shorter and easier."

Ella
2010-06-19, 09:02 PM
"So tell me Vernon, what do you feel the best case scenario for the people that went missing is?"

Tyrael
2010-06-20, 05:18 AM
Iskellia's loud rasping breath through her mask changes, then with a wheezing cough she jerks awake, roused by the conversation taking place outside. The young woman stumbles outside and walks over to Tilda and Vernon. "Sorry, I almost forgot," she apologizes, her voice as harsh and hoarse as ever. "What are we doing for watches? This place is creepy..."

industrious
2010-06-20, 01:41 PM
Iskellia is correct. There is something about the abandoned campsite that invites the imagination down darker shores. A canvas rustling in the wind becomes a terror by night. Everyone shares that same fear of the dark, and for the same reasons.

The night sky is starless, and the moon is gone from the sky. Every sound is magnified, every scent heightened.

Tyrael
2010-06-20, 02:20 PM
Iskellia shivers despite herself. "Maybe we should take watches in pairs," she croaks.

Simba
2010-06-21, 01:36 AM
Vernon

"Aren't we already doing that? Tilda and I have first watch and I will wake someone for 5th watch if she feels alone"

"Best case? They are in a place that in itself is not dangerous, but hard to come out off. We find them and free them, all unharmed. Best case, as I said. Unlikely, but a possibility. I fear for worse."

Ella
2010-06-21, 01:53 AM
"I hope we find them too, say, would you like to meet Del."

Tilda reaches down and picks her familiar in toad shape out of her top and places him on the palm of her hand.

"I feel like I should warn you all about him, he has talents that will be most useful to us when we are searching for the missing party however he is both coarse and rude. He likes to think of himself as a big bad demon rather than an obedient familiar, and I let him think that as long as he is good.'

Simba
2010-06-21, 01:57 AM
Vernon

Vernon takes a long look at the toad-thingy, curiousity written on his face: "Hi. Interesting. Nice coloring, here on the sides."

Ella
2010-06-21, 02:04 AM
"He is a quasit demon, they are able to change their form at will but I am afraid he lacks the useful wolf shape and instead switches between bat, toad and his native form."

She strokes Del gentley.

"He is actually an ace up our sleeves though, as the phrase goes one of his special abilities that makes a familiar like him so useful is they can cast the commune spell. He is possibly as useful as an entire infernal library if you want to know the right things."

Simba
2010-06-21, 02:36 AM
Vernon

"That can come in extremely handy."

Tyrael
2010-06-21, 03:28 AM
Iskellia shivers and eyes the quasit warily. "He can talk to..." She rasps, then breaks off into a fit of wheezing coughs. After a few moments, she recovers herself and gasps, "...other demons? I thought demons were supposed to hate and kill normal people."

Clutching her chest, she makes her way over to the campsite's darkened fire and stretches her hand out. A few pieces of wood float up from the ashes, then blur with speed as they rub together at eye-watering speed. They burst into flame, and as more kindling floats over to the fire, Iskellia manages to bring forth a crackling campfire. Sitting down on a log, she gestures for Vernon and Tilda to join her.

Simba
2010-06-21, 03:30 AM
Vernon

Vernon moves over to the fire, sitting down beside Iskellia. "Thank you."

Tyrael
2010-06-21, 03:45 AM
Iskellia stares quietly into the flames, her mask still wheezing audibly as a faint shudder runs over her frame. Slowly, the woman raises a slender hand up in front of her face, gazing at the silhouette it makes against the campfire. Another shudder runs over her, and as the sounds coming out of her mask stop and start jerkingly, it becomes clear that she is holding back sobs inside her expressionless mask.

Simba
2010-06-21, 03:56 AM
Vernon

"Lady, is there anything I can do for you?"

Tyrael
2010-06-21, 11:26 PM
"Not unless you can turn back time," she rasps gratingly, punctuated by an intense coughing fit. She looks over at him, the flames reflected eerily in her mask's goggles.

Simba
2010-06-22, 12:59 AM
Vernon

"That, I am sorry to say, my lady, I can not do."

industrious
2010-06-22, 11:12 AM
The night passes slowly, but it ends, as it always does. The terror that grips one by night is always forgotten by day. It is hard to be afraid in the morning.

Toliudar
2010-06-22, 12:44 PM
Elzbeta rolls up to sit with her back to the notional wall in her strange wild-space, and gathers her thoughts for a time. She struggled, as always, to open herself to new experiences, to new images. Expiate old grief with new joy.

Since they were heading into a dangerous unknown, she also did her best to prepare herself with magics for sight and protection.

After a time, she climbs out of the space, retrieving the rope as she did so. Gently, she and her air servant drift downward to greet the others who are early risers. Or those who, like Tilda, simply don't sleep.

"Good morning. I trust that your sleep was undisturbed? I had expected dreams of men sleeping at crossroads, but no such visions came to me."

As had been her wont, Elzbeta took no breakfast, but simply began poking around in the tents.

Elzbeta casts Endure Elements, Dragonsight and an extended version of Mage Armour before descending.

In the camp, she will cast detect magic, and use that and dragonsight to confirm that there's nothing unusual, magical invisible, etc hanging around there. Search: [roll0]

Tyrael
2010-06-22, 03:03 PM
Iskellia wakes up in front of the ashes of the campfire. The sight of the burnt, airy flakes of wood gives her another shudder of terror as old memories take hold of her. The rising inferno of flames, the screams...

The young woman seizes her skull and curls into a fetal ball, moaning softly until the mental barrage passes. Slowly, as she begins to hear the sound of birds again, Iskellia slowly climbs to her feet and begins rustling around in her pack for some breakfast.

After breaking her fast, she looks up as Elzbeta floats down to greet the camp. Iskellia shakes her head in response. "I haven't slept well in years," she croaks hoarsely.

Toliudar
2010-06-22, 03:26 PM
Elzbeta looks steadily up at the masked young woman. It took no great mind to see the great and ongoing pain in her. She simply nods.

"The holy words of my people say 'Persevere in patience and constancy.' It is the very difficulty of this task that makes it worthwhile.

With a small bow, she returns to her examination of the camp. Who knew what might be obvious in the daylight, that had been obscured from even her eyes at night.

Ella
2010-06-23, 06:49 AM
Tilda looks across at Vernon and smiles, she had at the very least she felt made a friend, someone on the expedition she trusted not to turn on her at the first sign of her powers.

"So where do we begin the investigation? I propose that we all get ready and prepared before we treck investigate too deeply, I have a feeling that anything that could remove them from this camp without leacing a single trace must have some power are haven't thought of."

industrious
2010-06-23, 07:38 PM
Elzbeta's search turns up no further clues. Their initial hypothesis that the former expedition simply took off into the ruin one day and did not come back seems to hold up.

Simba
2010-06-24, 12:54 AM
Vernon

"I suggest we head for the ruins. Whatever happened to them did not happen here. As we did not find the expedition's notes on finds here they propably took them along. I would have liked to take a look at them before going on."

Vernon looks around once more, searching for the notes on the dig any respectable explorer would have.

Tyrael
2010-06-24, 04:24 AM
Iskellia nods silently, not wanting to strain her delicate lungs overmuch so early in the day. Or maybe we'll meet whatever it was that killed them all in the first place, she thinks privately to herself.

The young woman moves to the tent and gathers up her bag, then stands ready to travel once more.

Toliudar
2010-06-24, 08:33 AM
Having completed a brief survey of the tents, Elzbeta nods. She brings back her little personal cloud, and floats up about 10' to get a better view of their path ahead.

"It's good to have scholars who might have some insight into what the previous group was doing, how they'd proceed. All set."

Ella
2010-06-27, 08:22 AM
Tilda fixes her gown one more time, straighting it and fiddling with it, she pulls on some gloves and slips Del back down her front.

With that she looks around at the group around her and strides off towards the dig site.

industrious
2010-06-28, 10:14 PM
The dig itself is inside the hill. Originally covered by untold eons of accumulated dirt and mud, a landslide had uncovered the site itself. The path itself ends at a cave, where tool marks indicate the work the survey team had done. The group enters the cave, and through the cavern's twists and turns, eventually find themselves in darkness, the cave's mouth nowhere to be seen.

Toliudar
2010-06-29, 12:25 AM
Elzbeta

The halfling pulls to a halt. Her dragon-eyes are not at all bothered by the darkness, but the prospect of being lost or trapped down here does not catch at her fancy.

"Interesting, in a not-at-all-appealing manner. Kangar, I've heard that dwarves have a special affinity with stone. Are you able to tell if the rock of the cave we are in is similar to the stone when and where we entered. It seems likely that either the stones have shifted, or else we have been subtly transported somewhere else entirely."

Ella
2010-06-29, 12:34 PM
"Del, detect magic and good all the way, tell me if you find anything no matter what." Tilda whispers down at him.

She continues to walk forwards, into the cave while the formation might be interesting her interest was in the researchers missing and hopefully living. She reaches into her pack and withdraws a robe, the intricate patterning holding undead she is able to pluck from it. She places it over her armour and contemplates just how useful a skeletal wolf or goblin could be.

industrious
2010-07-01, 09:42 PM
The rough natural caves have since shifted to impossibly smooth-cut stone. The floor has become far more smooth and flat as well. While there seems to be plenty of small indentations in the floor, it is nowhere near as rough as otherwise.

Simba
2010-07-01, 11:49 PM
Vernon

Vernon is fascinated by the dig site, walking wide-eyed and looking at ecverything, examining the walls....

Tyrael
2010-07-02, 02:38 AM
The rasping breath of Iskellia's mask is harsh and echoes creepily inside the dark cave. Suddenly, a small click is heard and the round glass lenses of her mask become brightly illuminated, shedding a 15ft cone of light in front of her as she walks.

Ella
2010-07-03, 03:37 PM
Amazed by the scope of the cave, Tilda kneels down and runs her hand over the stone trying to feel if there are any clue to its creation.

Toliudar
2010-07-03, 10:10 PM
Elzbeta

Seeing that the others had the examination of the floor and walls well in hand, Elzbeta and her servant drift up to the ceiling for a closer look.

Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
Detecting magic as she goes. Spellcraft: [roll2]

industrious
2010-07-07, 02:06 PM
The walls of the now-obviously artificial cavern are adorned with several painted signs, colored in brilliant yellows and deep blacks. Runes of some strange and unknown formation are repeated in blocks, straight lines of symbols. An oft repeated symbol is that of a small black circle, surrounded by three arcs.

Yet there are some symbols that are far more easily discernable. A stylized skull with two crossed bones, enclosed in a bolt of lightning. A man, lying on the ground. They are obvious in their purpose. Turn back they say. Turn back now.

Tyrael
2010-07-07, 02:24 PM
Iskellia shakes her head disdainfully and keeps going, the beams of light in her mask lighting the way.

Toliudar
2010-07-07, 03:30 PM
Elzbeta continues bobbing along at ceiling height.

"How silly is that," she adds. "They trap us in the cave and then tell us to turn back."

As a precautionary measure, Elzbeta chants a protective spell. Her skin turns black, cracked and scaly. Her fingers lengthen into claws, and she begins to look very much like a stout kobold floating on a cloud. She keeps pace with the others below.

Elzbeta casts Dragonskin (Black) and then plays with her hat of disguise to make herself look like a kobold.

Darkvision, lowlight vision and 60' blindsense is still active. Spot and Listen: [roll0] [roll1]

Simba
2010-07-08, 01:06 AM
Vernon

Vernon, lantern in his hand, seems to be totally oblivious of the dangers that might be ahead. The symbols on the walls seem to have caught his attention and he walks along slowly, hands almost brushing the walls, muttering to himself as he tries to make sense of what he sees: "This... now, looks here, this looks, like...no, not quite, but...not sure..."

Search [roll0]
Decipher Script [roll1]
Knowledge (history) [roll2]
Knowledge (arcana) [roll3]
Knowledge (dungeoneering) [roll4]
Knowledge (religion) [roll5]
Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) [roll6]
let me know if another roll is more apropriate.

Ella
2010-07-08, 01:10 AM
"I have prepared something that might help trigger any upcoming traps, that is if you are interested." Tilda runs her fingers over her robe of skeletons.

From the robe she grabs a thread and pulls off a skeletal goblin, triggering the magics within the robe and creating a goblin skeleton under her control.

"Do not fear, this will allow us to trigger any traps without risking damage to ourselves."

industrious
2010-07-10, 11:37 PM
There are no traps as of yet.

Vernon's analysis of the symbols reveals only halting clues as to its purpose. The death's head symbol needs no explanation, but a closer examination of the more abstract circle-and-arcs yields little. He dimly recalls speculation by one of the SEUL senior lecturers that the symbol signified apocalypse and doom in the Times Before. Furthermore, he recognizes part of the runes engraved and painted onto the walls; something to do with...life. Apocalypse and life. Rather dueling themes.

The walls of the cavern are made of some strange smooth gray stone. Interestingly enough, it appears to be one continuous surface, instead of individual quarried pieces. Vernon has never seen its like before.

Tyrael
2010-07-15, 10:26 AM
Iskellia rolls her eyes behind her mask and continues, caring little about architectural nuances.

Toliudar
2010-07-15, 12:02 PM
Elzbeta continues to drift along above.

industrious
2010-07-15, 09:59 PM
Finally, the team comes to a set of dull metal doors, set at an angle into a small hill made of that same strange smooth stone. A rusted set of iron rings dangles at its center.

Toliudar
2010-07-15, 10:30 PM
Shahada floats back down to the ground, and her air elemental disappears.

"Before we discuss whether, and how, to open such large doors, perhaps it would be good to know what's waiting for us."

A moment later, an earth elemental about the size of a footstool appears next to the doors.

"Duck into the floor under the door, come up on the other side of the door, and take a look around, then come right back. I want to know what's on the other side."

Tyrael
2010-07-16, 02:17 AM
Iskellia starts forward, eager to crush the doors in one go...then stops as Shahada summons her elemental. Iskellia lies back in midair, crosses her arms and pouts as she waits for the creature to return with news.

Let's move this game along, I want to kill something!

Simba
2010-07-16, 02:40 AM
Vernon

Vernon holds back, eyeing the door with naked curiousity, hands twiching nervously.

industrious
2010-07-16, 09:25 PM
Shahada floats back down to the ground, and her air elemental disappears.

"Before we discuss whether, and how, to open such large doors, perhaps it would be good to know what's waiting for us."

A moment later, an earth elemental about the size of a footstool appears next to the doors.

"Duck into the floor under the door, come up on the other side of the door, and take a look around, then come right back. I want to know what's on the other side."

The elemental returns, and speaks slowly, in a gravelly voice.

"'A long corridor...filled with green light...bare stone like the outside...dark beyond the first hundred feet..."

Tyrael
2010-07-16, 10:44 PM
"Now what?" Iskellia rasps.

Ella
2010-07-16, 10:48 PM
"I am not entirely sure" Tilda replies.

"Should I send my new pet racing down the tunnel looking for traps?"

Tyrael
2010-07-16, 10:54 PM
Iskellia shakes her head. "We can do that ourselves," she points out, sucking in a painful gasp. "This...this door, is it locked?"

Toliudar
2010-07-17, 03:22 PM
Elzbeta

the halfling shrugged, and backed away from the door.

"Let's find out, then."

Pointing to her little elemental, she gestured to one of the doors.

"Open that door, please."

industrious
2010-07-17, 03:45 PM
The door opens in fits and starts, as the rusted hinges resist the elemental's tugs.

The corridor beyond is long and narrow, and made entirely of the same smooth stone outside. The ceiling is crossed with a network of pipes, and lurid green light beats down upon the ground in narrow overhead strips. About one hundred feet in, the strips light ends.

Tyrael
2010-07-17, 04:03 PM
Iskellia continues forward, her mask's glowing goggles lighting the way.

Toliudar
2010-07-17, 09:43 PM
Shahada thanks the elemental with a nod, and then gestures up at the pipes on the ceiling.
"Well done! I'd like you to walk up there via the walls and ceiling. I'd like to know if the pipes are hotter or colder than the air around them, and if you can follow one of them into the wall, tell me where they come from."

The small elemental nods, and disappears into the wall.

industrious
2010-07-17, 10:28 PM
The elemental nods, and clambers up the sides.

Before it can return, however, Iskellia continues walking forward, and fails to notice a slender wire at ankle-height. To be fair, though, it is far slimmer than any seen in the present day.

There is a gentle ping, and a small ring skids across the floor. What happens next can only be described vaguely like a flameless fireball. Shards of metal lance from some hidden recess within the wall, and both Toludar's elemental and Iskellia are caught in the blast.

Reflex Save DC 20 for half of [roll0] damage.

Tyrael
2010-07-18, 01:07 AM
Wait a minute. Iskellia is WALKING forward? I'm pretty sure I specified that she was floating. :smallconfused:

Iskellia starts forward, eager to crush the doors in one go...then stops as Shahada summons her elemental. Iskellia lies back in midair, crosses her arms and pouts as she waits for the creature to return with news.

industrious
2010-07-18, 10:19 AM
Iskellia continues forward, her mask's glowing goggles lighting the way.

This is why.

Tyrael
2010-07-18, 10:37 AM
Sigh, whatever. I still disagree, but I'll suck it up for sake of continuing with the story.

Iskellia leaps backwards as the fireball flares into life around her. A howl of terror bursts involuntarily from her throat as the inferno surrounds her, cooking her alive. She drops to the floor and rolls around wildly, her hands clutching her mask, screaming hoarsely as the stench of burnt rubber and roasted flesh fills the air.

[roll0]

Toliudar
2010-07-18, 01:52 PM
Elzbeta's elemental dissolves into a hail of pebbles and dirt from the blast, and then vanishes completely. She winces at Iskellia's writhing, but has no good way to immediately alleviate her suffering. But DOES have a way to find out if there are more similar shenanigans ahead.

The halfling's brow furrows, and another small cloud appears in front of her.

"Go down that tunnel, skimming the ground in the middle of the passage. Keep going until you reach the end, a side passage, or a living creature, then come back and report what you see."

The elemental darts off along the floor down the passage.

Even a successful save would have trashed the earth elemental.

The air elemental moves at 200'/round. Spot [roll0] Listen [roll1]

industrious
2010-07-19, 09:14 PM
The elemental returns quickly, and reports that the corridor ahead is clear.

Toliudar
2010-07-20, 01:45 AM
Elzbeta nods patiently and repeats her instructions.

"Thank you. How long was the tunnel? Now, go back and keep going until you come either to a split in the passage, the end of the passage, or a living creature, then come back and tell me what you saw."

industrious
2010-07-20, 09:27 PM
The creature goes forth once more. You hear a swinging sound, then silence.

Five minutes pass. Then ten. The air elemental does not return.

Tyrael
2010-07-20, 09:53 PM
By this point, Iskellia has recovered from her initial pain and horror, but the stench of burnt flesh still hangs ripe in the air as she grates, "It's surely dead by now. Now what?"

Simba
2010-07-21, 12:48 AM
Vernon

"Maybe we should do this the conventional way, you know? I will go first and check."

Moving slowly, Vernon moves ahead, checking for traps and other special things in front of them.

[roll0]

Toliudar
2010-07-21, 09:24 AM
Elzbeta remains silent, perhaps saddened by the sudden, if temporary, death of two servants. With a gesture, she creates another small cloud, and allows it to lift her up again. Remaining about 10 feet off of the ground, she follows Vernon.

Roughly how long was the gap in time between the elemental's departure and the swinging sound?

Tyrael
2010-07-21, 11:00 AM
With scarcely a thought, Iskellia hovers 10 feet off the ground and drifts afterVernon and Elzbeta.

industrious
2010-07-22, 10:00 PM
The corridor ends at a pair of loosely connected double doors, made out of a strange, grey material. Far lighter than metal, yet nearly as hard as wood. And smooth, eerily smooth.

Opening the doors causes the swinging sound. And even though the group is far underground, they can hear the wind...

Simba
2010-07-29, 02:50 AM
Vernon

Looking for traps and taking his time with it, Vernonr slowly walks forward to examine the door and whatever lies beyond. If nothing special happens he stops before crossing over into the next room.

Search Check: 1d20+21

Toliudar
2010-07-29, 09:15 AM
While Vernon takes the very prudent measure of examining the doors and doorways, Elzbeta lands about 20' back from the doors and summons another earth elemental.

"Hello, and thank you for coming. Please move down into the floor, past the doors that you see over there, and back up on the other side. Walk forward a bit in the corridor, and see if there's anything moving around. After you've gone about thirty feet, walk back through the doors to us and tell me what you saw."

Simba
2010-07-29, 09:22 AM
Encore:

Search Check: [roll0]

industrious
2010-07-31, 06:45 PM
The elemental soon returns, and relays what it saw.

"The corridor beyond is empty, master. The wind is coming from behind a metal screen."