PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Paladin Order

Falconer
2010-05-09, 09:03 PM
Quite a simple premise: I'm brainstorming ideas for a sort of religious/chivalric order of paladins for an upcoming game.

But, suffering from a sudden bout of unimaginative-itude (unimaginativity?:smallconfused:), here I am, looking for ideas from my fellow playgrounders. I would like you, ladies and gentlemen, to assist me in my noble task. What should the order's name be? What is their purpose? Do they have any particular religious tenets? Are they hiding any dark, world-shattering secrets?

Thanks,
Falconer

waterpenguin43
2010-05-09, 09:07 PM
That depends. Which god do they worship? I could come up with something.

Falconer
2010-05-09, 09:13 PM
Really, it's very much a blank slate, though personally I prefer to give them a unique sort of religion and have fun developing it in-game ("I'm sorry, sir, but it violates my beliefs to loot corpses/enter dungeons/[insert thing most adventurers do"])

waterpenguin43
2010-05-09, 09:18 PM
Really, it's very much a blank slate, though personally I prefer to give them a unique sort of religion and have fun developing it in-game ("I'm sorry, sir, but it violates my beliefs to loot corpses/enter dungeons/[insert thing most adventurers do"])

Okay........

These are counter-materialists, and thus they find the idea of taking treasure from monsters, evil or not, repulsive.
So.....
The Order of True Gold
The Order of Inner Treasures
The Immaterial Inquisition

Temotei
2010-05-09, 09:24 PM
Okay........

These are counter-materialists, and thus they find the idea of taking treasure from monsters, evil or not, repulsive.
So.....
The Order of True Gold
The Order of Inner Treasures
The Immaterial Inquisition

I like the first option for a name. The third one's not too bad though.

tribble
2010-05-09, 09:25 PM
The Ascetics of Wrath

The Guardians of Asceticism

The Ascetic Hand

The Geared Closets

Yes, the last one is inspired by dwarf fortress.

Temotei
2010-05-09, 09:29 PM
The Ascetics of Wrath

Ascetic of Wrath could be a rank title, possibly. The order could be called "Ascetic Wrath."

The Ascetic Hand

Not bad.

Cuaqchi
2010-05-09, 09:30 PM
Vassals of the Soul
Really this can work for any good order...
Warriors of the Shimmering Mantle
Ooh, shiny armour...

Really anything can work, however the key to making the name stand out is either have a measue of simplicity that any layman can remember or have a grand and imposing title that makes your foes dread your presence, and the perfection it represents.

Temotei
2010-05-09, 09:32 PM
Vassals of the Soul

Fixed that. :smallcool:

Cuaqchi
2010-05-09, 09:32 PM
Whoops... Thanks

Morth
2010-05-09, 10:35 PM
The Order of the Amber Lance!

All must be given a lance made of amber as an symbol of membership. Make them decent healers to boot. :)

paddyfool
2010-05-10, 07:13 AM
I'd strongly recommend having a look at Fax Celestis' paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551). Using this one as a model, you can then have a series of orders based around different mantles that they'll usually take.

It's slightly stronger and more versatile than the core Paladin (maybe a weak Tier 3, rather than a middling Tier 4), but not by much: the class becomes a slightly better group- and self-buffer, but is still nowhere on a par with full casters with regards to this, and is otherwise about the same. The real benefit of using this version is that it makes a Paladin character much more customisable with regards to which specific abilities you get, and which specific doctrine you wish to espouse. Also, if the player avoids a few mantles like Purity (or Authority, when playing an evil Paladin), it ceases to be quite such an obvious focus of group contention.