PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer...

Eon
2010-05-09, 09:15 PM
I'll get right into the problem...

On my computer (I'm using another one...) I use Internet Explorer because I never cared to upgrade, but now I'm worried. A day or two ago, I attempted to get online but the home page wouldn't load. I tried to go to another website and I got the "Internet Explorer cannot display page" message. Confused I tried another. Same result with all of the websites I tried. :smalleek: I have run AVG and Windows Defender scans more than once with no sucess. All of the other computers in the house work right and online games work on my computer.

What do I do??:smallconfused:

Haruki-kun
2010-05-09, 09:22 PM
inb4 Firefox.

Try clearing your cache. If that doesn't work, download IE's installer from another computer into a Flashdrive or CD and use it to reinstall IE there.

And then use IE to download Firefox or Opera.

Soterion
2010-05-09, 09:22 PM
Is it connected to the internet?

Jack Squat
2010-05-09, 09:23 PM
Are you connected through an ethernet cable or wireless?

Try disconnecting and reconnecting. If that doesn't work, restart the computer.

If that still doesn't work, download Chrome, Firefox, or Opera on another computer, and transfer the setup file via disk/jump drive, and install on the computer, and see if that works.

Eon
2010-05-09, 09:32 PM
Is it connected to the internet?

Internet works on games and updates still.

Where can I clear the cache?

(I swear I'm getting a new browser after this. it probably won't happen but...)

edit: wireless and how much memeory is a browser?

Jack Squat
2010-05-09, 09:34 PM
Where can I clear the cache?

Open up IE. Go to the tools menu and choose "Delete Browsing History"

Eon
2010-05-09, 09:39 PM
Open up IE. Go to the tools menu and choose "Delete Browsing History"

I think I have it set to do that automatically when IE closes...

Haruki-kun
2010-05-09, 09:58 PM
I think I have it set to do that automatically when IE closes...

Yeah, but the cache is not the same as the browsing history. Just try it out.

SMEE
2010-05-09, 10:02 PM
Check the internet options to see if there's no proxy set or something like that.

Runestar
2010-05-09, 10:05 PM
inb4 Firefox.

Try clearing your cache. If that doesn't work, download IE's installer from another computer into a Flashdrive or CD and use it to reinstall IE there.

And then use IE to download Firefox or Opera.

I am actually getting a tad frustrated with firefox. It seems somewhat slower these days. :smallconfused:

Erloas
2010-05-09, 10:17 PM
I'm going to guess that you just didn't get a good configuration from your router. With my belkin router I sometimes have to reset it to get the net working, sometimes I just have to disconnect and reconnect to it.
Sometimes it can be fixed just releasing/renewing the IP address.

I'm assuming you've restarted your computer to see if that fixed the problem? That will reset a lot of the IP configurations and get a new one (you can do it without restarting... but its a little complicated for people that don't know computers really well). And you can try restarting your router as well.

As for IE vs other browsers... Well I started using Opera recently and I can't tell any appreciable difference (well other then the build in spell-checker). A few little things are better and others are worse. I tried FF a few years ago and found about the same thing and just never bothered reinstalling it on my new computer. I still have to use IE periodically because some things just don't load right with Opera (PA's weekly videos, and other video related pages seem to have some issues at times too, probably as much a flash issue as it is Opera)

Haruki-kun
2010-05-09, 10:28 PM
As for IE vs other browsers... Well I started using Opera recently and I can't tell any appreciable difference (well other then the build in spell-checker). A few little things are better and others are worse. I tried FF a few years ago and found about the same thing and just never bothered reinstalling it on my new computer. I still have to use IE periodically because some things just don't load right with Opera (PA's weekly videos, and other video related pages seem to have some issues at times too, probably as much a flash issue as it is Opera)

I've tried Opera, IE, Firefox, and Safari at School Computers. Also had a run-in with Chrome.

In my experience, Opera is the most stable and fastest browser. However, Firefox is just really nice and comfortable, what with Add-ons and all that.

Still, there's some things that just don't work because people won't bother programming them into browsers other than IE. It happens once every eight bajillion years, but when it does, you just open up IE, do what you have to do, then return.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-09, 10:44 PM
I use IE for one thing and one thing only, webcomics. Not all webcomics autoupdate, and re-adding them to favourites will delete the old one. It's easier then having a pile of identical bookmarks or having to go in and delete the old one each time, like in Firefox.

Prime32
2010-05-10, 06:34 AM
Still, there's some things that just don't work because people won't bother programming them into browsers other than IE. It happens once every eight bajillion years, but when it does, you just open up IE, do what you have to do, then return.Not exactly. Rather, Microsoft adds extra stuff which isn't in the HTML specification, while not supporting some official stuff correctly.

The idea is that it forces people to design their page for IE or for other browsers.

Lioness
2010-05-10, 08:39 AM
In my experience, Opera is the most stable and fastest browser. However, Firefox is just really nice and comfortable, what with Add-ons and all that.

I love Opera, and I don't really want to get in a browser war. But it was stable, but recently just randomly closes. Whether it's starting to become incompatible with XP, or I'm opening too many tabs, I dunno.

Just not completely stable anymore

valadil
2010-05-10, 10:11 AM
I use IE for one thing and one thing only, webcomics. Not all webcomics autoupdate, and re-adding them to favourites will delete the old one. It's easier then having a pile of identical bookmarks or having to go in and delete the old one each time, like in Firefox.

Try an RSS reader. If you already have a gmail account, google reader is a good start.

Haruki-kun
2010-05-10, 10:23 AM
Whether it's starting to become incompatible with XP, or I'm opening too many tabs, I dunno.

XP is nearly 10 years old. In computer years, that's like two hundred years.. And it's beginning to show its age. A lot of new software simply doesn't work so well. And constantly updated software is like that, too.

lesser_minion
2010-05-10, 12:59 PM
Opera just went through a massive update, and I'd be surprised if it didn't show.

However, it shouldn't be randomly exiting on you - especially if you're using Windows 2000 or newer (The latest version of Opera is supposed to run on ten-year-old hardware. Whether it does or not is anyone's guess).

Opera should still support platforms that are far older than Windows XP, so it certainly isn't that (Opera should be vaguely usable on any hardware released in the last ten years). I'd be surprised if Linux 2.4 was unsupported, and that's far more ancient than Windows XP.

Jokasti
2010-05-10, 01:11 PM
Chrome is the best.
That is all.

Mando Knight
2010-05-10, 01:17 PM
I love Opera, and I don't really want to get in a browser war. But it was stable, but recently just randomly closes. Whether it's starting to become incompatible with XP, or I'm opening too many tabs, I dunno.

Just not completely stable anymore

XP is dying. It should have been dead when Vista came out, but Microsoft messed that up and had to release Windows 7 as a fix to that (it actually counts itself as a revision of Vista rather than an entirely new OS for some purposes). XP still works if you've got good in-house tech support, but other than that it's older than dirt as far as electronics go and should be replaced. 7 years isn't just old, it's ancient for computers.

Tavar
2010-05-10, 01:21 PM
Ah, IE. The one program that's never worked on my Laptop, even though it comes standard.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-10, 01:29 PM
Try an RSS reader. If you already have a gmail account, google reader is a good start.
Explain this voo-doo magic to me, please?:smallconfused:

lesser_minion
2010-05-10, 01:55 PM
Explain this voo-doo magic to me, please?:smallconfused:

He's talking about feeds like this one (http://xkcd.com/atom.xml).

It's not particularly useful advice, since most browsers have a feed reader that reads feeds anyway (with the exception of Firefox, which has a feed reader that extracts article links and throws everything else away).