PDA

View Full Version : Street performers, pan-handlers, etc.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-09, 09:36 PM
Okay, I recently got fired, so I've decided to get out on the street and make some money (no, not like that) I've considered playing music, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to beg. Does anyone else have any experience with this kind of stuff? (once again, not like that) the reason I ask is because there is a large group of street performers and panhandlers who refuse to share tips until I have something to contribute

Crimmy
2010-05-09, 09:40 PM
If you really (and I mean really) need to get a job and get some money, why don't you try doing something you already know how to, that's uncommon, and then, while doing that, try and learn something new?

It's the most logical step.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-05-09, 09:50 PM
Learn what the rules are, because some places will bust you pretty bad for busking (street performing), and then learn how to entertain. Get used to rough days. Find a low-cost method of entertainment that you can practice. Make sure you have a way to keep up a nice appearance. And get prepared for some rough days. Be ready to work your way slowly but surely.

Mountain_Faerie
2010-05-09, 10:04 PM
You are setting yourself up for a tough path, friend. There is a lot of competition on the streets and you could easily go for days without making anything, whether you are performing, begging or playing music. There is the can collecting rig, but you can't mooch into anyone elses area. A lot of guys collect daily so they can survive. They don't take kindly to others in their turf.

I would strongly suggest putting in applications to various businesses because once you are on the streets it can be vary difficult to get back off of them.

Winter_Wolf
2010-05-09, 10:21 PM
Don't beg. Seriously. You can find something to do that's more than "please give me money just because I want it." Good luck with the performing, if where you live is even remotely like where I live, you'll probably be expected to apply for a license of some sort to "set up shop" on a curb somewhere. Otherwise you'd better be wilier than Wile E. Coytoe, not to mention more sensible!

But seriously. Don't. Beg. Even if your music is absolute CRAP, I'd give you money for playing crap before I gave you money for begging. Because while your skill might not be "enough", I believe in rewarding effort over rewarding people shaking a tin can in my face.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-05-09, 10:36 PM
I think the best option for you at the moment would be to find your nearest temp agency, and have them find something for you until you can get another job that's a longer term solution.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-05-10, 03:34 AM
If you do decide to beg, here's a few pretty creative signs I've seen:

"I'm like Obama. I also want change."

"Need money 4 weed." With a picture of a Canadian flag except the maple leaf was replaced by you-know-what.

"Need money for an operation to treat hangover."

2010-05-10, 04:42 AM
figure out who you are right now and what type of work fits that, then do it. its harder than it sounds and first but not as hard as it seems when you think about it too much; just dont get too specific or focused on degrees and the like.

mucat
2010-05-10, 04:45 AM
If you've got a significant talent, and if neither the local cops nor the established street performers run you off, you might really enjoy trying to make a living as a performer. Good street performers can do a lot to make a town more fun to spend time in.

If you're physically able to work, though, don't beg. A town can only support so many beggars, so leave that to people who really have no choice. Do day labor; you might not find work every day, but be persistent and ypu'll get enough days' work to live on.

For white-collar day labor, get your name into every temp agency in your town. For blue-collar...well, I'm on the opposite coast from you, but around here, you either stand in the parking lot of a hardware store and wait to be hired by a contractor, or you go to Labor Ready, which is essentially a contractor's temp agency. Google tells me you've got Labor Ready in Alabama too, though the closest one to you is in Birmingham. There might be something similar, by a different name, somewhere closer by.

Give some thought to what else you can do that most others can't, and start advertising your services as a freelancer. One of the hidden advantages of spending time unemployed is that you establish a baseline: "how much money can I make when I don't have a regular job?" The answer might be surprisingly high, which then means for decades to come, you won't feel quite as stressed when the economy threatens to take your "real" job away.

Hazkali
2010-05-10, 05:05 AM
In some places you might need a licence to be a busker- check with your local council (or equivalent) to see. I think in places in Britain a requirement is to show you're reasonably talented with your instrument.

I n-th the suggest to get to the local job agencies. Make sure they get a copy of your CV, and go to them every one or two days to check back. Depending on your skills the work you'll get may be highly irregular but it'll be work.

Whilst you are doing that, do you have the option of collection a jobseeker's allowance or similar?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-10, 08:27 AM
Wow, you were fired quickly. My condolences.

Aren't you in school? Why not merely get another job elsewhere? You shouldn't be in a position where you have to beg for money if you're still in school. Focus on your studies and get good grades; you'll be a lot better off in the long term for having done so.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-10, 08:55 AM
Dude, you're still in high school and living with your parents aren't you? :smallconfused: Why in god's name are you resorting to begging instead of just applying for a new job? Or heck, you don't even need a job. You can't put "busker" on a job application when you get around to writing a resume.

valadil
2010-05-10, 10:09 AM
A couple years ago I read about a dude in Michigan who lost his job and resorted to begging. He hated it. Even when he did get money he wasn't contributing anything. So instead of asking for change he went around with a hefty bag and picked up garbage off the street. He wore tee shirts that said he was trying to be productive during his unemployment. Didn't even hold up a coffee cup full of pennies or ask people for spare coins, but he made a lot more money that way than he did by begging.

So my advice is that if you really don't think you can get a real job again and you're going to resort to mooching off the kindness of strangers, at least be useful about it.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-10, 04:02 PM
I know, I'm not gonna actually beg, just do something performer wise, I'm just asking if anyone else has done this kind of stuff.

arguskos
2010-05-10, 04:17 PM
I know, I'm not gonna actually beg, just do something performer wise, I'm just asking if anyone else has done this kind of stuff.
So, more as a form of using your free time, then? Seems interesting, though likely to get you widely hated by the local buskers who do this for a living.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-10, 04:24 PM
though likely to get you widely hated by the local buskers who do this for a living.

That's the reason I ask. There are a group of buskers who perform outside of where the game shop used to be. Back when it was in business, I'd watch them during our breaks from DnD. Now, I usually avoid downtown because of the memories, but I ended up down there Saturday. I asked them if anyone could play downtown with them and they said "If you have something to contribute."

Telonius
2010-05-10, 04:33 PM
It can work, if you're good enough (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html).

SDF
2010-05-10, 04:36 PM
It can work, if you're good enough (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html).

I'd generally make more than that out with some of my friends. Of course we only went out Friday and Saturday nights in the summer during the bar rush. (Drunk people sometimes throw down a good chunk of change) Not something you are ever going to make a job wage at. We only ever did it strictly for fun, and I wouldn't recommend doing it for any other reason.