PDA

View Full Version : ((Batman and RObin))  Now Batman discusion

Ing
2006-07-04, 06:00 PM
Ok if you think the movie sucked sign the petition just by giving a post saying "here here" or the likes. if not...keep on walking.

because really this movie is worse than anything else... even teh Adam West Batman isn't as bad because they were TRYING to be funny, here its just....a mess.

you know what sign the pitition and feel free to list what other superhero or comic movie you thought sucked. i'll start

Joel Shoemockeer is a frikking idiot. and Catwoman sucked too

NEXT!

Beleriphon
2006-07-04, 06:06 PM
*raises hand*

Tarlonniel
2006-07-04, 06:28 PM
*keeps on walking* ;)

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-04, 06:45 PM
I liked Batman and Robin. Then I grew up and my mother thought it might be a good idea to rewatch some film she'd thought was bad years ago. Whenever it came on T.V.. You'd think after watching it twice she'd learn her lesson...

The Adam West Batman wasn't bad, it just knew its limitations.

i.e.: being serious in that outfit

anti-shark sprays hurt my brain

Caillach
2006-07-04, 06:53 PM
anti-shark sprays hurt my brain

No, no, it was the shark repellant bat spray!
Hahahaha! I loved it when the shark exploded when it hit the water. ;D

"But there was something fishy about that shark, and where there's fish there's a...Penguin!" Hahahaha!

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-04, 08:16 PM
No, no, it was the shark repellant bat spray!
Hahahaha! I loved it when the shark exploded when it hit the water. ;D

"But there was something fishy about that shark, and where there's fish there's a...Penguin!" Hahahaha!

I tried finding the tattered batman anual I read it in but could only find a 1967 one (my father's), or maybe it was in there but I missed it, oh well.

Smashymcsmash
2006-07-04, 08:55 PM
Yeah. I didn't like it.

Joel Schumacher even apologized for it.

To each his own.

TinSoldier
2006-07-04, 10:13 PM
*Keeps walking because TinSoldier didn't think that it was that bad...*

CelestialStick
2006-07-05, 01:20 AM
*Keeps walking because TinSoldier didn't think that it was that bad...*
Woot! I am stunned, but Batman and Robin is winning even on this anti-Batman-and-Robin thread! Woot! ;D

As for the original Batman movie, the one with Adam West, I believe he called it Bat-shark-repellent. One of the running jokes of the Adam West Bat-franchise is that everything was a Bat-something: Batmobile, Bat-computer, Bat-utility-belt, Bat-poles, Batargang, and let's not forget my personal favorite, Bat-thermal-underwear! :D

Ing
2006-07-05, 12:40 PM
people watch teh batman Subzero movie and then tell me if Batman and Robin even compares as a Batman...no a move in general

oh and btw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Films_considered_the_worst_ever

not that it makes it true, but it does show that there is a strong loathing of some movies

oh and CS, just admit you love anything that makes Batman look like an idiot.

Tarlonniel
2006-07-05, 01:47 PM
I saw Subzero, and enjoyed it.

Just like I enjoyed Batman and Robin. ;D

Caillach
2006-07-05, 03:56 PM
I don't have a huge problem with it. It just wasn't super. There are worse movies out there.

Steward
2006-07-05, 05:36 PM
I finally realized what was wrong with this movie.

It didn't use Batman as he could have been used. Really, this movie was about the villains. Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze got to have the most fun in this movie. If the directors were smart, they would have cut out Batman altogether and made a brilliant comedy about Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy. As it is, the enjoyable parts I could find were the ones where the villains take the center stage.

Ing
2006-07-05, 05:41 PM
what kinda asyilum makes the women bunk with the men patients? especially if one has a good motive and intention of killing the other?

worst implied snowman rape since the movie Jackfrost

Steward
2006-07-05, 06:25 PM
what kinda asyilum makes the women bunk with the men patients? especially if one has a good motive and intention of killing the other?

Here's a Riddler riddle for you:

What kind of asylum allows its inmates to just walk out whenever they feel like it?

Answer? Certainly!

Arkham Asylum, of course. The only prison that actually builds a personalized escape tunnel into each cell for the inmate's convenience.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-07-05, 06:57 PM
To be fair, B:TAS had its fair share of goofs around the asylum too. I recall watching the first ep with the Ventriloquist. At the end when he's carving himself a new Scarface dummy, I'm thinking, Why in hell are they letting a bunch of squirrelly a-holes have access to woodworking equipment and sharp blades? ???

Ing
2006-07-05, 07:32 PM
I figured that he was allowed special privleges because he was a modle and seemingly non-violent inmate.

it's probably the minimum security wing, note the whole hospitles not filled with Jokers and Crocs. it also has just kleptos and people who think they're Lincoln.

Beleriphon
2006-07-05, 07:34 PM
I figured that he was allowed special privleges because he was a modle and seemingly non-violent inmate.

it's probably the minimum security wing, note the whole hospitles not filled with Jokers and Crocs. it also has just kleptos and people who think they're Lincoln.

Ing has a point. Arkham is also a normal asylum for those who aren't criminally insane. Thus meaning that if you can escape your cell it can be pretty easy to eascape the whole place.

Steward
2006-07-05, 07:56 PM
To be fair, B:TAS had its fair share of goofs around the asylum too. I recall watching the first ep with the Ventriloquist. At the end when he's carving himself a new Scarface dummy, I'm thinking, Why in hell are they letting a bunch of squirrelly a-holes have access to woodworking equipment and sharp blades? ???

I was referring to Arkham Asylum as a whole, not just the one from the movie. Honestly, if there was a prison as mismanaged as that one then you'd have an explanation as to why criminals don't mind being sent there.

Ing has a point. Arkham is also a normal asylum for those who aren't criminally insane. Thus meaning that if you can escape your cell it can be pretty easy to eascape the whole place.

That doesn't justify it at all. Would you want a helplessly insane mental patient running around on his own? He could hurt someone or get hurt himself, which is why there are security guards in the first place?

Ing
2006-07-05, 08:17 PM
well there have been a number of reasons given to Arkhams poor conditions

1) Johnathan Arkham is either apathetic or insane himself
2) its built on a gateway to hell
3) most of its employees are doubly employed half by the hospital and half by inmates themself

4) (possibly if Arkham Living Hell is cannical) Shark the "Boss" of Arkham has more control over the place then most of the doctors and for the right cut can get nearly anyone out or anything in.

Steward
2006-07-05, 10:26 PM
So, there's no real reason for Batman (or the police) to continue to put dangerous criminals in Arkham at all.

Ing
2006-07-05, 11:05 PM
given the often overlooking of real life serial killers by law enforcement, is it really THAT big a stretch to believe Arkyham is criminally missmanaged.

Jarl
2006-07-06, 12:14 AM
I guess it depends on the Arkham. I recall that in Batman Beyond, they let a kid who could control machines in the common rec room where he melted the TV or something like that. It's been a while, so I'm not 100%.

-Of course, even at it's worst, Arkham is rarely as bad as a certain other hospital named Arkham, though they could easily be the same place, or maybe the same but different alternate timeline/universes...

Ing
2006-07-06, 08:39 AM
I'm of the theory that Gotham== rebuilt and renammed Innsmouth

and to their favor in BB, they didn't know he had psychic powers...they just thought he hyjacked a powerful peice of construction equipment for a joyride

Steward
2006-07-06, 03:42 PM
given the often overlooking of real life serial killers by law enforcement, is it really THAT big a stretch to believe Arkyham is criminally missmanaged.

No, but it's a really huge stretch to believe that Batman, Commissioner Gordon, Mayor Hill, and the District Attorney would continue to put dangerous people like Harley Quinn, Two-Face, and the Joker in a prison that cannot hold them.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-06, 05:43 PM
No, but it's a really huge stretch to believe that Batman, Commissioner Gordon, Mayor Hill, and the District Attorney would continue to put dangerous people like Harley Quinn, Two-Face, and the Joker in a prison that cannot hold them.

Ah but that's just before you realise that they WANT them to escape.

Carmen
2006-07-06, 05:44 PM

Do any of those guys have any say in the matter? I would think the judges and/or the Department of Corrections would be the people responsible for actually putting the baddies in Arkham over and over and over again.

I think it's a two-part bribe. Part one goes to the judge to approve the insanity defense (most of Batman's enemies seem to know the difference between right and wrong, they just don't seem to care), and part two goes to some clerk in the Department of Corrections to ensure that the villain goes to Arkham instead of some other institution that takes security seriously.

Ing
2006-07-06, 08:21 PM
well there are a few that are guininly insane

the Ventriloquist and Mr. Scar Face: Guy's not in control of what his other half does

Harvy Dent/Two Face: same deal, Harvy has no apparent control over what Two Face does

Harley Quinne: something's just not right with that girl

Mad Hatter: has a varying but often loose grip on reality, manic depression and obsession

Edward Nigma: is obsesive compulsive

Joker: is a sociopath...but generally it seems they keep him just because they're fascinated with studying him rather than an earnest attempt to cure him

Firefly: is a pyromaniac

Penguin: is not criminally insane but he may be OCD, though often he goes to prison

Poison Ivy: obsessive

Croc: has some anti-social tendencies...but this dosn't make him legally insane, its reveled at least once that he gets off on mercy pleas and by playing sympathy stories.

Mr. Fries: is seemingly bi-polar and chronic depressent.

so yah a lot are legally insane, others fake it, and some have an insanity which seems to get them put in Arkyham even though other cities wouldn't see that as releavent to their crimes

Carmen
2006-07-06, 09:32 PM
I always thought that all of Batman's traditional foes were mentally ill, but still sane enough that they really ought to be in prison, not a hospital.

Given that they still send them to Arkham, I kind of have to wonder about Gotham's mentally ill criminals that don't dress up in funny outfits. Do they end up in Arkham as well, or do they end up in the prison system like they do in the real world?

Steward
2006-07-06, 09:49 PM
Do any of those guys have any say in the matter? I would think the judges and/or the Department of Corrections would be the people responsible for actually putting the baddies in Arkham over and over and over again.

Why would the Department of Corrections (the entire Department of Corrections!?) want random sociopaths like the Joker on the streets? They have even less of a reason than Batman to let him go since they don't interact with him personally.

I think it's a two-part bribe. Part one goes to the judge to approve the insanity defense (most of Batman's enemies seem to know the difference between right and wrong, they just don't seem to care), and part two goes to some clerk in the Department of Corrections to ensure that the villain goes to Arkham instead of some other institution that takes security seriously.

Who pays for this? I can see Rupert Thorne or the Penguin doling out bribes like this, but they don't get sent to Arkham and don't have any reason to want to spend all of their money getting the Joker out of prison every few weeks. And I really don't think that the police lets the insane asylum inmates keep the money they steal.

I always thought that all of Batman's traditional foes were mentally ill, but still sane enough that they really ought to be in prison, not a hospital.

Some of them are mentally ill, but it would be a bit risible to send Ventriloquis and Harvey Dent to an actual prison without curing them of Mr. Scarface and Two-Face.

Ing
2006-07-06, 10:55 PM
Some of them are mentally ill, but it would be a bit risible to send Ventriloquis and Harvey Dent to an actual prison without curing them of Mr. Scarface and Two-Face.

huh what r u trying to say here?

Kontonshin
2006-07-06, 11:09 PM
I think the legal definition of insanity, insofar as its primary purpose seems to be to demonstrate that the accused is incapable of either a) understanding the consequences of his/her actions, or b) understanding the moral implications of his/her actions, is somewhat more narrow than a lot of garden-variety, DSM-IV approved flavours of f**ked-in-the-headedness.

Ing
2006-07-06, 11:15 PM
no it also includes, are not capable of controling their actions

someone who has black outs, or MPD is usualy considered criminally insane and commited rather than imprisoned because they were literally unable to make a conscious decision in regards to their crime

Steward
2006-07-06, 11:22 PM
huh what r u trying to say here?

Not all of Batman's nemeses are aware enough of their crimes to warrant a sentence at Blackgate Penitentiary and it would be really stupid to send someone like Scarface or Two Face there without curing them.

Ing
2006-07-06, 11:27 PM
ah yes, thought you were saying it would be proper to send them to Blackgate...which confused me.

Beleriphon
2006-07-07, 03:25 AM
At a functional level none of Batman's enemies are sane, by any stretch of the imagination. In fact a decent, nay bad, attorney could probably pull of the insanity plea.

In fact a number of the rogues gallery seem to feed of of the rivalry with Batman. The Joker in particular seems to play off of the idea that he is some kind of twisted counterpart to Batman. Without Batman most of these criminals wouldn't exist, and in some cases have no reason to exist.

As for Arkham itself, I've always assumed that its better equipped to handle the likes of the Joker or Two-Face then say Levenworth, its just that the inmates are by and larger smarter than the average car jacker.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-07-07, 05:29 AM
It is very possible someone in the system is on the take (crooked judges? dirty cops? asylum doctors who see their charges as career-making APA theses rather than human beings?) ...or maybe Gotham's budgets are slashed to the bone and they simply can't afford decent prison and asylum facilities.

Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot, aka The Penguin, is actually fairly sane, albeit homely, and ostensibly went legitimate later in the series (though he's been known to fence stolen property and arrange furloughs for old friends). In the comic he ran for mayor of Gotham against Hamilton Hill, and won. The Riddler uncovered some dirt on Mayor Cobblepot, but was found half-dead on Hill's porch in Bludhaven with a knife in his back before he could share it.

Mr. Freeze is arguably sane, although a terribly tormented man, but is placed in Arkham because it's the only facility that can accomodate his unusual requirement of a freezer cell. (This may explain the budget crunch: a profusion of special-needs criminals. In "Love is A Croc" Killer Croc lives in a huge tank of water that I bet cost a lot to keep up.)

Harvey Dent, in the comics, has been treated successfully with plastic surgery, but has a bad habit of rescarring part of his face and returning to crime.

Arnold Wesker has tried to go straight, has even been gainfully employed by Waynecorp, but he can never seem to quite shake the spectre of Mr. Scarface. One episode showed a plot by some old cohorts right out of Psycho II. They made intimidating phone calls and left notes, as well as bringing in a midget in a Scarface suit, to torment Wesker till he popped his cork and was driven back to crime.

It's debatable if Scarecrow is actually crazy or just a huge jerk. Prof. Jonathan Crane lost his job at Gotham University for whipping out a gun and shooting at a plant-pot in the middle of a classroom lecture. A flying fragment nearly put out a student's eye. He sought revenge on the regents who made the decision to terminate him.

Beleriphon
2006-07-07, 06:02 AM
It's debatable if Scarecrow is actually crazy or just a huge jerk. Prof. Jonathan Crane lost his job at Gotham University for whipping out a gun and shooting at a plant-pot in the middle of a classroom lecture. A flying fragment nearly put out a student's eye. He sought revenge on the regents who made the decision to terminate him.

Well comicwise Crane actually is nuts, and killed his mother and has this Oedipus complex right out of Psycho. He's the prototypical serial killer, if one could claim such a thing, as opposed to Joker who falls in the mass murderer category. Joker is still insane, but he isn't a serial killer.

Ing
2006-07-07, 09:17 AM
He's both

he's a psycological emotional sadist and he's also a jackass.

he commited his first murder in highschool and apparently spent much of the time torturing small animals such as birds

turkishproverb
2006-07-29, 02:39 AM
This movie replaced plan 9 from outer space as the worst movie ever.

Jarl
2006-07-29, 03:02 AM
The Joker could be a perfectly sane sadist who engineers his crimes to appear the works of madmen.
Or he could be completely... batty.

-... no, no, he's crazy. Also brilliant. And, aside from, say, Bat-Mite, the only person in Batman's Rogues Gallery aware he's fictional.

Beleriphon
2006-07-30, 02:49 AM
The Joker could be a perfectly sane sadist who engineers his crimes to appear the works of madmen.
Or he could be completely... batty.

-... no, no, he's crazy. Also brilliant. And, aside from, say, Bat-Mite, the only person in Batman's Rogues Gallery aware he's fictional.

So the Joker has broken the fourth wall? When?

Jarl
2006-07-30, 02:58 AM
I can't find a reference in the comics, but on the show he would occasionally hum his theme music. He also talks to the camera (though his constant running commentary/external monologue on all his actions might explain this).

-That's "Batman: The Animated Series", the good one, not Adam West or the psuedo-Anime one they have out now.

Beleriphon
2006-07-30, 04:22 AM
I can't find a reference in the comics, but on the show he would occasionally hum his theme music. He also talks to the camera (though his constant running commentary/external monologue on all his actions might explain this).

-That's "Batman: The Animated Series", the good one, not Adam West or the psuedo-Anime one they have out now.

I may be familiar with it.

Ing
2006-07-30, 11:51 PM

Yes, but the Joker also does things to complete the joke/gag, and if that includes some monologue he openly states it. It's kinda blurry whether he knows he's in a comic or if he's just insane and sometimes talks to himself.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-07-31, 01:34 AM
He's a walking cartoon. More so than other B:TAS characters, I mean. For example, in the episode with the toxic garbage barge, Joker's panning across the harbor with the periscope, calmly passes Batman standing on the prow, then does a quick Avery-style double-take and focuses on Batsie before he reacts. All that's missing is a boing! sound effect. I laughed. Crazy or not, the guy has great comic timing.

Marc Hamill is reputed to get so into it in the v.o. booth his face goes red and his neck veins bulge. I'm talking consummate actor here.

Beleriphon
2006-08-03, 06:32 PM
Yes, but the Joker also does things to complete the joke/gag, and if that includes some monologue he openly states it. It's kinda blurry whether he knows he's in a comic or if he's just insane and sometimes talks to himself.

Its not like he's Deadpool, who actually knows he's in a comic book.

Steward
2006-08-03, 11:25 PM
Its not like he's Deadpool, who actually knows he's in a comic book.

It's arguable that the Joker does know that he's in a comic book. I'm pretty sure that he is aware of the way the fictional world works. He's no Deadpool, but then again, the only other person who is Deadpool is Deathstroke.

Ing
2006-08-06, 11:56 PM
New topic. Is Joker actually skilled in fisty cuffs or is he a wimp without evil gas and henchmen?

Steward
2006-08-07, 12:31 AM
New topic. Is Joker actually skilled in fisty cuffs or is he a wimp without evil gas and henchmen?

It really depends. On B:TAS, he was able to go mano-a-batto with Batman, but he never struck me as being more than above average in his physical ability. Most of the time he relied on his completely unpredictable attack patterns and deception to stay in the game.

In 'The Batman', he was much more formidable physically and could fight at least as well as Batman. I think they gave him a power-up there because they didn't want to use Harley Quinn.

Beleriphon
2006-08-07, 03:42 PM
And in the comics, generally speaking, he's as skilled as one would expect in personal combat. So not very, at least not above most people. Batman should be able to wipe the floor with Joker, and does if he can get to the mad clown. So there's the trick, Joker knows that physically he can't compare to most heroes so he doesn't try to do so.

Ing
2006-08-07, 09:57 PM
And in the comics, generally speaking, he's as skilled as one would expect in personal combat. So not very, at least not above most people. Batman should be able to wipe the floor with Joker, and does if he can get to the mad clown. So there's the trick, Joker knows that physically he can't compare to most heroes so he doesn't try to do so.

Batman hiimself admits that Joker is mad fast though...the guy is surprisingly spry

Jarl
2006-08-08, 12:34 AM
Not to mention crazy. It's the difference between fighting a thug and fighting a guy that's dusted and everything.

-It tends to vary, though.

Ing
2006-08-08, 10:01 PM
The question is....

can a gay cowboy be a killer clown?

Steward
2006-08-08, 10:03 PM
The question is....

Hey, why not?

ShipWrecked
2006-08-30, 01:23 PM
"here here!"

Beleriphon
2006-08-30, 09:55 PM
Hey, why not?

My crude photo manipulation says yes.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/beleriphon/Superheros/heathnjoker.jpg

Ing
2006-09-01, 08:27 PM
My crude photo manipulation says yes.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/beleriphon/Superheros/heathnjoker.jpg

HOLY THE KILLING JOKE BATMAN!

Caillach
2006-09-04, 01:40 AM
The question is....

well seeing as he's not really a gay cowboy, and is really just an actor I think he'll do fine. ::)
I am sorry to have to be the one to break it to you Ing... I know this must be hard for you to hear, but I think that it's something you should know...movies aren't real Ing.They are made up, you know... pretend, like honest politicains, or two for one deals.
I know it hurts to hear it now, but you'll thank me for it later. ;)

Ing
2006-09-07, 11:25 AM
well seeing as he's not really a gay cowboy, and is really just an actor I think he'll do fine. ::)
I am sorry to have to be the one to break it to you Ing... I know this must be hard for you to hear, but I think that it's something you should know...movies aren't real Ing.They are made up, you know... pretend, like honest politicains, or two for one deals.
I know it hurts to hear it now, but you'll thank me for it later. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Obnoxious&x=0&y=0

Caillach
2006-09-16, 06:34 PM
Actually I was jokeing too. But hey, if you're not in the mood that's cool.
sorry for pissing you off.

Ing
2006-09-18, 02:19 AM
Actually I was jokeing too. But hey, if you're not in the mood that's cool.
sorry for pissing you off.

You joked, I returned fire in kind.

MAN THE TORPEDOS!