PDA

View Full Version : What IS Nale's past with the Empress of Blood? (spoilers)

Morgan Wick
2010-05-09, 10:12 PM
In #719, Malack explains what Nale's crime against the Empire of Blood was: "He fought for us during your Glorious Ascendance two years ago, but then turned and tried to seize your crown for himself." (That's significantly longer than most empires on the Western Continent...) As much as Rich stomped on the theories as to the identity of the Empress of Blood herself, this does seem to lend credence to the ideas that it had something to do with Nale's father (as unlikely as it would be for Nale's father to be in charge of a bunch of lizardfolk - more likely would be that Nale wanted his own powerbase from which to go after his father, but that doesn't explain why he would suddenly decide to change continents and go after the Talisman), and in turn, to the Elan's father=Tyrinar theories.

However, the EoB not only appears to be a figurehead, but needs to be reminded of who Nale is - and we don't actually hear her say anything that suggests she knows who he is after Malack reminds her. And it's apparent Nale already had 5/6ths of the Linear Guild in place at LEAST when he made his own play for the throne. And Malack really, REALLY doesn't like Nale, especially considering he still seems to be in a position of power...

Is it possible Malack was originally the one fighting against Nale's father, but Nale somehow prevented him from possibly seizing the throne himself, so Malack got a massive dragon, installed her on the throne, and threatened Nale with it, and the EoB has very little to do with her own Glorious Ascendance? Perhaps he was originally Nale's right-hand man, who thought the fighting was his and his alone, resulting in mutual expulsion and Nale needing a new cleric, ie, Hilgya?

This is all really out-there half-assed thinking, but I'm now really, REALLY interested in Nale's past...

Snake-Aes
2010-05-09, 11:00 PM
In #719, Malack explains what Nale's crime against the Empire of Blood was: "He fought for us during your Glorious Ascendance two years ago, but then turned and tried to seize your crown for himself." (That's significantly longer than most empires on the Western Continent...) As much as Rich stomped on the theories as to the identity of the Empress of Blood herself, this does seem to lend credence to the ideas that it had something to do with Nale's father (as unlikely as it would be for Nale's father to be in charge of a bunch of lizardfolk - more likely would be that Nale wanted his own powerbase from which to go after his father, but that doesn't explain why he would suddenly decide to change continents and go after the Talisman), and in turn, to the Elan's father=Tyrinar theories.

However, the EoB not only appears to be a figurehead, but needs to be reminded of who Nale is - and we don't actually hear her say anything that suggests she knows who he is after Malack reminds her. And it's apparent Nale already had 5/6ths of the Linear Guild in place at LEAST when he made his own play for the throne. And Malack really, REALLY doesn't like Nale, especially considering he still seems to be in a position of power...

Is it possible Malack was originally the one fighting against Nale's father, but Nale somehow prevented him from possibly seizing the throne himself, so Malack got a massive dragon, installed her on the throne, and threatened Nale with it, and the EoB has very little to do with her own Glorious Ascendance? Perhaps he was originally Nale's right-hand man, who thought the fighting was his and his alone, resulting in mutual expulsion and Nale needing a new cleric, ie, Hilgya?

This is all really out-there half-assed thinking, but I'm now really, REALLY interested in Nale's past...
My take is simpler than that: Nale was mad at Daddie Tyrinar, and couldn't overthrow him. Schemed with mr malack to gang on dad Tyrinar and attempted to take over from there, but failed.

paladinofshojo
2010-05-09, 11:31 PM
This all would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that your basing it on pure speculation... First off, Nale/Elan's father can be someone other than Tyrinar considering the fact that we haven't been given any proof that he's him other than a flag with a T on it. Secondly, since it is debatable whether or not Nale/Elan's father is Tyrinar it can be debatable that he's anywhere near the Western Continent or even alive right now. Lastly, from what we can tell is that Nale and Elan's family has a Northern geneology, in that they are not natives of the Western Continent....

Almaseti
2010-05-10, 12:58 AM
But it's so dramatically appropriate! Elan's father being the one imprisoning his girlfriend's father? And think of the Star Wars references! Or just the irony of Elan impersonating Nale for a change! (Yes, I'm pretty sure that's irony, especially after Elan twice ending up in trouble because of being mistaken for Nale and Nale impersonating him)

Of course, everybody and their momma is expecting it now, so the Giant will probably avert it purposely just to mess with us.

snikrept
2010-05-10, 02:50 AM
I am guessing that Malack and Nale/Elan's warlord father have a history as well. "no one denies me, not father, not you, no one!" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html) The question is whose side was Malack on in Nale v. Daddy and who sold out whom :smallbiggrin:

SPoD
2010-05-10, 02:58 AM
(as unlikely as it would be for Nale's father to be in charge of a bunch of lizardfolk

Does no one remember that this is an integrated society? That humans and lizardfolk are living together with no apparent friction?

There's no reason that Nale's father couldn't have helped Malack put the Empress on the throne and they're ruling the shared human-lizardfolk kingdom together. When Nale moved against his father, he was also, by association, moving against the Empress and Malack (and vice versa).

SmaugTheYounger
2010-05-10, 04:37 AM
As the story progresses, a direct invovement of Nale's father in the history of the EOB seems ever less likely to me. Nale is just too damn chaotic for a real grand scheme. I think he fell out with his father, be it Lord Tyrinar or whatever, ran of to the next rebel army in hope of aquiring his own power base, failed miserably (that's why Malack wants him for treason) and had to form the LG instead.

My guess: Elan & co will shake the EOB guys for now - barely. And there may be other nasty suprises for Elan on the western continent. Nale must really have messed things up there.

The Pilgrim
2010-05-10, 05:26 AM
As the story progresses, a direct invovement of Nale's father in the history of the EOB seems ever less likely to me. Nale is just too damn chaotic for a real grand scheme. I think he fell out with his father, be it Lord Tyrinar or whatever, ran of to the next rebel army in hope of aquiring his own power base, failed miserably (that's why Malack wants him for treason) and had to form the LG instead.

Agreed.

Except that Nale is Lawful Evil, not chaotic (as stated by himself and because he is the evil opposite of a Chaotic Good). Even his mental quirks are easly predictable.

He is just too damn stupid for a real grand scheme.