PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] soulknife/lurk

mobdrazhar
2010-05-10, 06:17 AM
Hi guys i was hoping that you could help me as i want to make a soulknife/lurk character for a planscape game that i'm in and was hoping you could help me out. i have access to PHB1 & 2, MM1, DMG1, BoVD, Fiendish Codex 2, CWar, CMage, CArcane, CDivine, XPH and CPsionic.

with those books in mind any help would be appriciated. i was thinking Thri-Keen for race.

katans
2010-05-10, 06:32 AM
Hi there,

both the soulknife and the lurk are frankly bad as written (barring the lurk augment that deals WIS damage without a save). See if you can talk your GM into houseruling / Gestalt'ing both first.

At which level do you want to play?

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-10, 06:33 AM
Soulknife 1/Lurk x. And preferably ditch Thri-Kreen because the LA and RHD hurt.

(Alternatively, Soulbound Weapon Psychic Warrior 2/Lurk x.)

mobdrazhar
2010-05-10, 06:37 AM
sorry thought i said. it would be lvl 12. thri-keen was just an idea i had. if you had any other ideas for race would be awesome. he won't mod any of the classes at all.

ghost_warlock
2010-05-10, 06:41 AM
You're probably best off sticking with a single class, as you're already going to be handicapped by 2 racial HD and a +2 Level Adjustment if you go with thri-kreen. That's 4 levels of mediocre already.

Between lurk and soulknife, lurk is the stronger of the two (though neither is particularly powerful). The psychic rogue variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) on Wizard's website is strictly better than either.

If you're dead-set on lurk, you might see if your DM will allow you to use one of the Mind's Eye variants (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) on Wizard's website.

Otherwise, the lurk handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1376.0) will probably have a few tricks you can cash in on.

true_shinken
2010-05-10, 07:15 AM
Like was already said, stick to soulknife or lurk, not both.
The best feature of both classes is to damage mental ability scores without a save; soulknife only gets it as 13th, though.
I have a lurk/chameleon in my party and he kicks major ass, though this is because Chameleon is simply that awesome.

Mongoose87
2010-05-10, 07:48 AM
I second the Psychic Rogue.

Person_Man
2010-05-10, 09:12 AM
Third vote for Psychic Rogue. I also have a homebrew Jedi Soulknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92407) you might want to look at. (In fact, pretty much EVERYONE has a homebrew Soulknife. It's a popular concept with lousy crunch).

You could also play a human Rogue 1 or 2/Psychic Warrior X or Rogue 2/Something 3/Warmind X. Take the Able Learner feat, and you get Rogue Skills for the rest of your career without actually having to take levels of a Skill Monkey class. And 1d6 of Sneak Attack is all you need for the Craven and Staggering Strike feats.

Kylarra
2010-05-10, 09:27 AM
If you really want thrikeen, try to get LA buyback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm), by level 12 you'll have already hit both buyback points for a +2 LA, so see if you can start with the lower exp total and no LA. It won't obviate your two RHD, only energy drain shenanigans or a lenient DM can do that, but it'll at least help a bit.

mobdrazhar
2010-05-10, 05:08 PM
thanks for the help guys. will have to speak to my dm about the wotc psychic rouge variant. sounds like a plan. oh and the LA +2 on the thri-keen is no issue as he will just let me wipe that because of the level we are at. but as i said if anyone has any better ideas for races it would be appriciated.

Draxar
2010-05-10, 05:17 PM
thanks for the help guys. will have to speak to my dm about the wotc psychic rouge variant. sounds like a plan. oh and the LA +2 on the thri-keen is no issue as he will just let me wipe that because of the level we are at. but as i said if anyone has any better ideas for races it would be appriciated.

Hypothetically a Warforged Scout with the Psiforged feat could do well, if he'll allow Warforged.

Though if you do that you'll want to homebrew the scout slightly as the base version is a little underpowered. The version of the race I'm playing at the moment is the following:

Attributes Strength -2, Dexterity +2, Charisma -2, Wisdom -2

A warforged scout's base land speed is 30'. Warforged scouts are small creatures, with all that entails.

Unlike most Living Constructs, warforged scouts retain low-light vision and darkvision 60'

Warforged scouts have a +4 racial bonus to hide and move silently and a +2 racial bonus to listen, search and spot checks. A warforged scout who merely comes within 10' of a concealed trap can make a search check as if it was actively searching. Warforged scouts were designed to travel into hostile territory and return unscathed.

Warforged scouts receive the martial weapon proficiency feats for the Longbow and Shortbow (including composite versions) and the exotic weapon proficiency feat for the hand crossbow. All warforged scouts are trained to attack from range and fade away.

That's assuming you have the Eberron book or something else with Warforged (and thus the Living Construct) rules in it.

arguskos
2010-05-10, 05:18 PM
If he's wiping LA... grab Lumi instead! It's a positive energy race from MM3, and if this is a planescape game, it even fits right in, as they're the only native sentient life on the Positive Energy Plane really. :smallamused:

mobdrazhar
2010-05-10, 05:52 PM
i may be able to get my hands on a copy of Eberon so i'll definately look into that

nyarlathotep
2010-05-10, 06:47 PM
If he's wiping LA... grab Lumi instead! It's a positive energy race from MM3, and if this is a planescape game, it even fits right in, as they're the only native sentient life on the Positive Energy Plane really. :smallamused:

Not quite the highest level of Eidolons are sentient too but only appear in the Bastion of Broken Souls.

Draxar
2010-05-10, 07:01 PM
i may be able to get my hands on a copy of Eberon so i'll definately look into that

Cool. If you do, the main thing you want that's not it what I've given you is the rules for Living Constructs (though remember you get Low Light Vision, which Living Constructs usually don't), also Composite Plating, Light Fortification, and natural slam attacks (though those will drop from 1d4 to 1d3).

Also, just remembered: Psiforged, the feat, is in Magic of Eberron. Essentially it means you have crystals incorporated into your construction, and get more power points. Magic of Eberron also has some other funky stuff for warforged psionicists.