PDA

View Full Version : Looking for just a little help. (3.5e)

Loxagn
2010-05-10, 02:17 PM
Running a 3.5 game, and I wanted to make a necromantic-focused Sorcerer. More importantly, a minion-type necromancer.
Problem is, I'm somewhat worried that there might be a severe issue of 'I have no real idea how to build this and I very well might suck horribly at it'.
I'm aware I rolled extremely well, my DM absolutely insisted I not re-roll.

Human Sorcerer 1
Stats Rolled:
Str 8
Dex 16
Con 15
Int 18
Wis 16
Cha 18
Flaw rolled: Noncombatant (-2 to melee attack rolls)
Feats: Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane, get a free 2nd level spell slot and spell. I chose Command Undead, obviously)
Spell Focus (Necromancy)
And one other I haven't decided upon.
Weasel familiar.

Now, my other party members are going to be a crusader and a rogue, plus one other of a class that I don't know yet. Remember, I don't want to outclass anyone, but I don't want to be useless, either.
Any advice I could get is of much use.

Prodan
2010-05-10, 02:20 PM
Have you considered playing the Dread Necromancer class? It's a spontaneous caster with a preselected spell list which makes it easier to play for someone who wants a necromancy focused caster.

Incidentally, suggest you switch Con and Wis.

Also, take Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell. You can snag that second level spell using two decent feats. This works because the Dread Necromancer knows every spell on his spell list, even if he can't quite cast them yet. It's also better in the long run.

Eldariel
2010-05-10, 02:21 PM
Have you considered playing the Dread Necromancer class? It's a spontaneous caster with a preselected spell list which makes it easier to play for someone who wants a necromancy focused caster.

And Charisma-focused to boot. It's basically exactly what you want in a can. Much, much better than Sorcerer in this particular job (not much else, of course, but who cares when this is what you want). It's from Heroes of Horror.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 02:29 PM
If you can, replace the Noncombatant flaw with something else. Many necromantic effects require a touch attack. Speaking of which, you may want Weapon Finesse (touch attack) for that last feat, effectively giving you +4 on touch attacks (-1 changes into +3)

Loxagn
2010-05-10, 02:52 PM
I'm aware of the Dread Necromancer, but it has some things I don't want to deal with, for characterization reasons. I know it seems silly, but I'd actually like to stay away from it.

Is there any other viable method of doing this?

On another note, what would you advise me to take as far as spells known?

PId6
2010-05-10, 03:06 PM
For PrC options, 2 levels of Pale Master (LM) is good for the free Animate Dead, though it'll cost you a caster level (and while you're there, you might as well take the remaining 8 levels and get a cohort along with a few nice abilities). You need Knowledge (Religion) 8 to get in though, so you'd probably have to spend a feat on either Education (PGtF) or Knowledge Devotion (CC) to get it as a class skill and get in in a timely manner.

goken04
2010-05-10, 03:20 PM
I'm aware of the Dread Necromancer, but it has some things I don't want to deal with, for characterization reasons. I know it seems silly, but I'd actually like to stay away from it.

Ask the DM to let you refluff it. Mechanics-wise, Dread Necromancer is going to be the best for what you want to do. If it's an issue of flavor, see if your DM will let you change it.

Otherwise, just pick necromancy spells. If you're going to go with trying to get the touch spells off, consider the Battle Sorcerer from UA.

Loxagn
2010-05-10, 03:27 PM
Okay, I found the Pale Master, and all I can say is 'wow'. This class may be exactly what I'm looking for. Many thanks, to all.

And yeah, I think I'll see about re-rolling that flaw. Thanks.

PId6
2010-05-10, 03:50 PM
Noncombatant is a great flaw for a non-gish sorcerer, matched only by Inattentive and certain Dragon flaws nobody ever mentions; no need to reroll it. You really don't want to go into melee; undead minions are there for a reason, right? The best necromancy debuffs are ranged touch anyhow: Ray of Enfeeblement/Clumsiness, Enervation, Ray of Exhaustion, etc.

Also, Battle Sorcerer is a trap; don't ever take it for any reason whatsoever. It trades away the single most important resource a sorcerer has (spells known) in exchange for negligible benefits (a bit of extra HP and base attack) that only matter even minimally if you don't PrC out (which you should). The one time I've taken it was for a gish character that used it to get early entry into Swiftblade, and even then I regretted the decision. It's just bad.

Icewraith
2010-05-10, 03:59 PM
If you can, replace the Noncombatant flaw with something else. Many necromantic effects require a touch attack. Speaking of which, you may want Weapon Finesse (touch attack) for that last feat, effectively giving you +4 on touch attacks (-1 changes into +3)

Touch attacks already use dex to hit.

PId6
2010-05-10, 04:02 PM
Touch attacks already use dex to hit.
No, ranged touch attacks use dex to hit. Regular touch attacks use Str. But that's okay, because ranged touch attacks are superior in any case and you do not want to go into melee.

Doc Roc
2010-05-10, 04:02 PM
Pale master is pretty much trap-tastic. I recommend almost any other PrC.

PId6
2010-05-10, 04:11 PM
Pale master is pretty much trap-tastic. I recommend almost any other PrC.
It's not that bad. The entry requirements eat feats like a hungry cannibal eats missionaries, and the lost caster level sucks, but the class features aren't nearly that bad. Animate Dead for free is nice, the immunities are decent, and the free cohort is certainly not bad for a Cha-based caster. Granted, its touch attacks and Control Undead aren't worth using, but as far as PrCs go, it's flavorful, fits the concept, and is decent enough mechanically if used right. Certainly better than something like *shudder* True Necromancer.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-10, 04:15 PM
Take the Corpsecrafter feats, from Libris Mortis. And Undead Leadership as well. When your minions say, "He made me the man death-beast I am today," THEY MEAN IT.

And don't forget the Fell metamagic feats. Fell Drain is particularly nice.

If one of your undead has levels in commoner, give it the Infested With Chickens flaw, just so you can make zombie chicken nega-bombs.

Dr Bwaa
2010-05-10, 04:21 PM
Here you go. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=5m12rntju5edo8hbrlnsjehmq3&topic=5584.0)

Doc Roc
2010-05-10, 04:23 PM
I think the spell I like the most for making undead is Create Dread Warrior, from Unapproachable East. It's a faerun book, but very famous for a couple of extremely popular PrCs, and some great feats.

Loxagn
2010-05-10, 08:59 PM
Like I said, I'm partying with lower-tier classes, I'm a full caster, I've got stats that are nothing short of awesome, and I think I could stand to lose a caster level for some extra undead-ness that doesn't end in lichification. I'll be taking Pale Master.

The corpsecrafter feats look great though, I'll be taking those for sure. And at any rate, I re-rolled for a flaw that gives some more roleplay opportunity, so I'm good.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. ^_^