PDA

View Full Version : Animal Pricing <3.5>

theos911
2010-05-10, 05:42 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to price standard animals. I made an old gnome paladin animal trainer and after using my animal friend feat for a badger(of whom i gave warbeast template and it is pretty awesome as badgers go), I was wondering what animals I could buy with my left over starting gold. I'm looking for a way to accurately price the animals in the MM. Thanks

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 05:45 PM
Just like the price of a Big Mac is different in different countries, the price for an animal would vary depending on the place, demand, and how tough the animal was.
-Xavez

IonDragon
2010-05-10, 05:46 PM
AFAIK there's no rule for it, so that's something you're going to have to run by your GM.

I've seen a few of these threads pop up from time to time, and I don't remember any definitive answers being provided. In large part because a guard dog is 25g and a riding dog is 150 and they use the same statistics.

A side point, while having many minions is a powerful way to go, it tends to slow down the game and be rather unbalancing. I'd recommend sticking with one or two really cool ones instead of a flock of semi-useful ones.

theos911
2010-05-10, 05:52 PM
Well, my gm (this is the first game i will be playing with him) seems rather lenient and I know him semi-well. As long as there is good reason for it, he'll probably not have a gruff with it. I understand that it slows down combat, but in this case it's ok. It's a 2 man party. My gnome with 8 str and 8 dex, and an alcoholic monk. We all know how monks are, so I figure the more minions I have the better. The monk is my best friend anyway, so he won't mind my petting zoo slowing this down a bit. There has to be some way to determine even a rough estimate price. Any ideas?

IonDragon
2010-05-10, 06:00 PM
Just ballpark it then? HD*HD*10g?

HD^2 x something is probably a good idea.

theos911
2010-05-10, 06:06 PM
ok so using a guard dog, not using riding since it's more expensive since its rider trained and all.

hd=2

2*2=4

price of 25g/4 = about 6gp

So i'm going to try HD*HD*6gp and see how it works

I think gp multiplier could change if the HD increase past a certain point like to 10 gp is HD 4 or more and so forth. And for rare things an increase to the effective HD being multiplied is in order.

Currently designing system will post complete system... later

ok lets take a tiger, 6 hd, thats over 4 so lets use 10gp for a multiplier. They are not rare as a being, but are pretty uncommon in most places, so lets boost effective HD by +1.

That gives us 7*7*10=490gp Add in two tricks come and down(pretty much mandatory for such a large creature) it takes you to about 550gp about 25gp per trick

Ravens_cry
2010-05-10, 06:08 PM
Wasn't their prices for slaves in one book? Politics aside, maybe one could base it off that.

Kosjsjach
2010-05-10, 06:12 PM
AFAIK there's no rule for it, so that's something you're going to have to run by your GM.

I've seen a few of these threads pop up from time to time, and I don't remember any definitive answers being provided. In large part because a guard dog is 25g and a riding dog is 150 and they use the same statistics.

A side point, while having many minions is a powerful way to go, it tends to slow down the game and be rather unbalancing. I'd recommend sticking with one or two really cool ones instead of a flock of semi-useful ones.

I don't think this is entirely true. When it came up in discussion the last time on this forum (at least that I read), the consensus was that a guard dog uses the stats for a small dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dog.htm), while a riding dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dogRiding.htm) was just that. A small animal can guard just fine; it just won't be able to do much else.

In response to the OP's question, the Arms & Equipment Guide has a bunch of prices for eggs, newborns, and the price of hiring someone to train it. It's a 3.0 book, though, so be aware.

theos911
2010-05-10, 06:20 PM
And I have arms and equipment looking there now

sofawall
2010-05-10, 06:25 PM
Doesn't the Warbeast template have a price for animals? If not, Magebred? One of the two.

theos911
2010-05-10, 06:38 PM
Warbeast prices are in MMII, I don't have that on hand.

theos911
2010-05-10, 07:02 PM
hmmm.. found an issue

Owlbear for example 5HD

5*5*10=250gp

Arms and Equipment guide gives price as 3,000gp

Something is off here...

OH NVM forget it i didn't notice owlbear's have an int of 5

ok so forumla works for int 1 or 2 things

rational thought is an extra thousand or few gp lol

IonDragon
2010-05-10, 07:14 PM
IMO the prices are coming out a little too low. A level 2 character would be able to start with a level 5 pet for example. May want to bump up that multiplier or possibly add in an additional *HD.

theos911
2010-05-10, 08:04 PM
ok here is my estimate of price multiplier by HD

0-2 5gp
3-4 12gp

I haven't tested these yet they are estimates

5-6 36gp
7-8 90gp
9-10 225gp

and so forth multiply previous multiplier by 2 and then add half of original multiplier. Don't forget to increase HD amount based on rarity.

This may end up being too much :smallfurious::smallwink::smallfurious:

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-10, 09:27 PM
IMO the prices are coming out a little too low. A level 2 character would be able to start with a level 5 pet for example. May want to bump up that multiplier or possibly add in an additional *HD.

A character can easily buy a horse earlier on, which is a 3HD animal. Animals, being NPCs, do not level up normally. Moreover, they take time to raise and train for basic tasks. The 100gp +75gp per HD for warbeast creatures of 4 or more HD that the MM2 mentions seems fairly reasonable. Bear in mind that the template adds a hit die.

When making exotic or powerful creatures available, one might be tempted to skew prices based on availability. However, prices could easily be normalized based on HD with the rationale that creatures are simply gathered by magical means and the price reflects the costs to acquire spellcasting services.

obnoxious
sig