PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Level up time... I'm lost - Ranger 8

Aphaedon
2010-05-10, 05:53 PM
hey folks, I'm been worrying over this for a while. The campaign I play in has hit level 9 after nearly 2 years of play. I'm kind of stuck on what to take for my level 9, feat and and possibly class wise.

So after reviewing the stats below I could really really use some suggestions for feats specifically. And if you have good ideas for an alternate class would be nice too.

Core everything is fine, need approval for splat books though.

Some details about the character, he's very cold and calculating, and tends to be somewhat merciless when people cross him. Obviously the party scout and archer, can tank/melee reasonable well too with the Fighter 4/rogue 4, and Barb 7/Ranger 2.

The character details:

Elf
Ranger 8

Archery combat style
Favored Enemy: Human +4, Giant +2
Owl Animal Companion - spot 8, hide 12, MS 18, listen 14. Tricks: Guard, Seek. Feat: Either flyby attack or hover.

Str 14
Dex 20
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 12

HP: 52
AC: 19

Fort: 8
Reflex: 12
Will: 5

Skills: Ranks - Total(w/ bonuses)
Handle Animal: 5- 6
Hide: 11 - 18
Kn Nature: 5 - 7
Listen: 9 - 13
MS: 11 - 18
Search: 7 - 9
Spot: 10 - 14
Survival: 7 - 9
Tumble: .5 - 5.5

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
WF: Longbows

Kit:
+1 Longbow
MW, Longbow - 20 Fire damage (5 times only)
+1 Katana (great-sword dmg when wielded 2 handed)
Quiver of Ehlonna - variety of arrows (mundane, 1, whistling, bunting, rope cutting, silver)

Studded Leather, Masterwork
Ring Of Resistance & Protection (+1 saves, 1ac)
Boots of Stealth & Springing (+2 MS, Hide, Jump)

Current gold: 11700 (have a bunch more incoming from a couple of high levels we recently murdered, including an NPC specifically designed to kill me (all the gear is cursed though :( +2 longbow, true strike, cursed.))

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Starbuck_II
2010-05-10, 05:58 PM
What book resources do we have to help from?

Core only or all sources?

arguskos
2010-05-10, 06:01 PM
What book resources do we have to help from?

Core only or all sources?
From his post: "Core everything is fine, need approval for splat books though." :smalltongue:

IonDragon
2010-05-10, 06:02 PM
Scout and take the Swift Hunter feat. Scout is either from CScound or CAdv (AFB) IIRC the Swift Hunter feat is from the other of those two books.

arguskos
2010-05-10, 06:07 PM
Scout and take the Swift Hunter feat. Scout is either from CScound or CAdv (AFB) IIRC the Swift Hunter feat is from the other of those two books.
Scout is Complete Adventurer, Swift Hunter is from Complete Scoundrel.

Runeclaw
2010-05-10, 06:36 PM

Won't he need 3 levels of Scout before he can take Swift Hunter, though? The prereq is Skirmish +1/+1 AC?

Runeclaw
2010-05-10, 06:40 PM
You had Rapid Shot and Many Shot from your Ranger fighting style, correct? I didn't seem that specifically listed but perhaps you were just assuming they were implied.

Get some Energy Damage on that Longbow.

Gnaeus
2010-05-10, 06:40 PM
Won't he need 3 levels of Scout before he can take Swift Hunter, though? The prereq is Skirmish +1/+1 AC?

Yes, but it is well worth it, might as well start now.

Mongoose87
2010-05-10, 06:48 PM

Yes. It's a long-term plan. I have to wonder if the OP would ever see it, though, considering it took two years to reach eighth level.

IonDragon
2010-05-10, 06:55 PM
Yes. It's a long-term plan. I have to word if the OP would ever see it, though, considering it took two years to reach eighth level.

9th level. :smallbiggrin: Gotta be fair.

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-10, 06:58 PM
Ask for a retrain? Ranger is ok, but... eh. Info for retraining is in PHB 2.

Amphetryon
2010-05-10, 06:59 PM
Rogue and take Craven. :)

Saph
2010-05-10, 07:06 PM
So after reviewing the stats below I could really really use some suggestions for feats specifically. And if you have good ideas for an alternate class would be nice too.

Well, if you're levelling up every 2 years, anything that requires multiple levels is obviously a bad idea. Ranger 9 gets you Evasion, so I'd stick with that.

Feat-wise, nothing jumps out at first sight. Improved Rapid Shot from Complete Warrior removes the -2 penalty on Rapid Shot; good if you stand still and shoot a lot. Woodland Archer from Races of the Wild gives a couple of decent options.

gibbo88
2010-05-10, 07:07 PM
There any RP info that you've been using to aim him so far? Take that into account. Look in...Complete Warrior...I think for a couple of archery-based prestige classes maybe.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-10, 07:20 PM
Maybe psychic warrior, for extra feat and one use of helpful power / day? I'm fairly sure you'd get decent mileage out of that. It seems you could grab Psionic Shot and Greater Psionic Shot in one go, though I have no idea how good those feats are. You can find all that stuff in the online SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/).

What about Rapid Shot and Many Shot?

IonDragon
2010-05-10, 07:26 PM
Greater Manyshot is also pretty decent if you have to move around a lot. It is always nice to have your options open.

Barlen
2010-05-10, 07:50 PM
I would second Ranger 9, if your that close to evasion you really should take it. Going scout into swift hunter (min 3 levels of scout, but 4 is better since you get an extra feat) is also a good idea but if your leveling slowly then do that starting at ecl 10.

Also try switching your longbow to a composite longbow of equal enchantment (same proficiencies and the weapon focus feat still works for it) and make use of your +2 str bonus.

Aphaedon
2010-05-10, 08:38 PM
Epic reply post!

Thanks for all your responses so far. :)

You had Rapid Shot and Many Shot from your Ranger fighting style, correct? I didn't seem that specifically listed but perhaps you were just assuming they were implied.

Get some Energy Damage on that Longbow.

yep have Rapid shot, Many shot, precise shot etc as per the ranger abilities.
And yes I really really need energy damage, suggestions ? as I said earlier I have around 11700 Gold with 2-3k more incoming. so unfortunately that restricts me to a +2 weapin unless I can pick up enough in the next few sessions to net me a +2 bow w/ elemental dammage (preferable cold for this part of the campaign)

Yes. It's a long-term plan. I have to word if the OP would ever see it, though, considering it took two years to reach eighth level.

This. 2 years to bust into 9th. I will probably still go the scout/swift hunter route. Its just 3 levels is a looong time right now.

Ask for a retrain? Ranger is ok, but... eh. Info for retraining is in PHB 2.

Retrain probably wouldn't go down too well, then again, our bard dipped into sorcerer just for the familiar, then retrained it for free and kept the familiar o.O

Rogue and take Craven. :)

Reasoning for rogue, and what doess Craven do exactly/what book is it in ?

Well, if you're levelling up every 2 years, anything that requires multiple levels is obviously a bad idea. Ranger 9 gets you Evasion, so I'd stick with that.

Feat-wise, nothing jumps out at first sight. Improved Rapid Shot from Complete Warrior removes the -2 penalty on Rapid Shot; good if you stand still and shoot a lot. Woodland Archer from Races of the Wild gives a couple of decent options.

Levelling is slow, not sure how that might speed up as we just did a globe trot tot he other side of the world to help an NPC get his soul back, with not really way of knowing how we get home. Evasion is handy indeed.
My ranger does stand and fire (mostly due to rapid shot and the extra attack). Case in point, last session my Anti-self fails to entangle me and I stood there and killed him in 2 rounds :( I am however willing to go the scout route for movign around the battlefield with greatermanyshot if my GM allows the feat.

There any RP info that you've been using to aim him so far? Take that into account. Look in...Complete Warrior...I think for a couple of archery-based prestige classes maybe.

With my skills at the moment the only real PrC I qualify for is Wildrunner (level9 feat/skillpoints pending).
As for RP info. he really really catches on fire a lot. I mean, LOTS. has been fireballed 3 times in one day on seperate occasions and associatse that with pelor for some reason, also a preist of pelor healed him for 3-4 damage after paying for good healing. Not to mention has been dragon breathed numerous times, and gnawed on a few times by one or three dragons. He doesn't mind springing potentially fatal traps either, for the most part.
So I guess fire protection would be handy. Also I'm forever using longstrider to keep upw ith the barbarian, and also being able to run off turn and shoot if we ever retreat, or chase after stuff, or jump on the backs of dragons etc >_>

Maybe psychic warrior, for extra feat and one use of helpful power / day? I'm fairly sure you'd get decent mileage out of that. It seems you could grab Psionic Shot and Greater Psionic Shot in one go, though I have no idea how good those feats are. You can find all that stuff in the online SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/).

What about Rapid Shot and Many Shot?

psychic warrior ? I'll have a look, not sure how my GM feels about psionics though can always ask if it feels right.

I have rapid shot & many shot from class abilities (Ranger Archery Combat Style).

Greater Manyshot is also pretty decent if you have to move around a lot. It is always nice to have your options open.

Greater manyshot would be really nice I admit. I cannot remember off the top of my head if it increases the range over 30ft of manyshot.
That's one fo the few drawbacks I don't often get within 30ft of a target. Skimisher would obviously make me jump into the middle of enemies a whole bunch more.

I would second Ranger 9, if your that close to evasion you really should take it. Going scout into swift hunter (min 3 levels of scout, but 4 is better since you get an extra feat) is also a good idea but if your leveling slowly then do that starting at ecl 10.

Also try switching your longbow to a composite longbow of equal enchantment (same proficiencies and the weapon focus feat still works for it) and make use of your +2 str bonus.

Evasion would be handy yes, springing traps and getting fireballed so much.
If I take ranger again and decide to go swift hunter, whats a good level to bail out of ranger ?

I should also note, my GM has some odd houserules such as longbows/comp longbows are essentially the same thing, so all longbows/comp longbows are 110ft range, feats apply to both types of longbows. oh and he's a fan of the AD&D elves longetivity of 2000 years. More as I remember them.

sop yes +2 bow (inc elemental effect) with +2 str bonus is about all I can afford right now +3 would require another 7-8k gold.
that being said I have a +2 cursed bow, true strike 1/day, that I could probably get enhanced for a price, I can get the curse removed next time I get to a fair that buys all sorts of random ****, and sell well curses off items.

Also I'm probably going up against fire stuff soon so I might grab me a frost effect on a bow when I purchase one.

-----
Well this is certainly one way to spend a Cisco class >_>

Amphetryon
2010-05-10, 09:07 PM
Rogue for Sneak Attack; Craven allows your Sneak Attack to be increased based on character level. It's quite good.

Sinfonian
2010-05-11, 01:24 AM
Rogue for Sneak Attack; Craven allows your Sneak Attack to be increased based on character level. It's quite good.

Minor Nitpick: Craven provides a bonus to Sneak Attack that scales with level (+1 per character level), while not actually advancing the Sneak Attack dice.

I think it's a good idea, though.

(I don't mean to make too much of the distinction, but it seemed unclear to someone who might not have been familiar with it.)

stenver
2010-05-11, 01:31 AM
Everything, i mean EVERYTHING, you need to know about swift hunter:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0

However, you said that you like to keep it long range, so:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-11, 01:38 AM
Spell Compendium has some amazing Ranger spells to help your archery, and you tend to get good spells in general but not enough of them. See if you can switch your PHB Ranger levels to Mystic Ranger (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) (page 91), in which case you should stay single-classed and get for your 9th level feat.

Ruinix
2010-05-11, 12:17 PM
lets see.

for feats i recomend:

-woodland archer. is from races of the wild.
-mounted fight --> mounted archery, and ride ur companion
-improved precise shot. i know u get it from lev 11 ranger but keep it in mind if u take a PrC or another class.

for items:

on ur bow i strongly recomend ...

+++++++spliting. is from champions of the ruin, is a +2 enhancement and double all ur attacks and damages. is awesome. some Dms are just jerks and dont alowed like mine :( but take ur shot with ur dm.

-the best bane of all banes, mage bane on ur bow. give +2 to hit and +2D6 to damage agains any spell caster or even any spell like abillity creature :D and is a +1 enhance

-wounding.

-any energy, i recomend sonic, cause is the less resisted of all energies damages.

++++++FORCE. is a +1 (if i recall well) lower 1 type of dice of the damage but by pass ALL DR and by pass arrow deflection spells, and hit incorporeals as their be in our plane.

____

for clases and PrCs.

beast master for get a better Animal C. and ride him to the battle.
cragtop archer. from races of the wild is a amezing long range archer.
bloodhound. it makes u a better hunter/ranger/traker.
eldeen ranger. get some nifty bonus to favored enemy
ocult slayer is another nice option against casters.

Greenish
2010-05-11, 12:44 PM
Spell Compendium has some amazing Ranger spells to help your archery, and you tend to get good spells in general but not enough of them. See if you can switch your PHB Ranger levels to Mystic Ranger (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) (page 91), in which case you should stay single-classed and get for your 9th level feat.Going to Mystic Ranger loses your animal companion. Want to have one tagging along? No problemo, Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a[/URL) is probably stronger than your default one would be.

If any of your companions is a crafter, you'd just have money to have a Force Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) crafted. If your DM is prepared to make it cheaper by dropping the enhancement bonus to +1, hug him!

Ruinix
2010-05-11, 12:50 PM
almost forgot. take 1 deep targeteer fighter from dragon magazine. give Dex to ranged damage.

Runeclaw
2010-05-11, 04:39 PM
Also I'm probably going up against fire stuff soon so I might grab me a frost effect on a bow when I purchase one.

Yes, that makes sense. I'm guessing your attacks probably hit pretty well but your damage is low, so +1D6 damage is better than another +1 enhancement.

Featwise, Improved Rapid Shot sounds good. Improved Critical could be fun with the x3 (and help you get an occasional lucky shot improving your damage).

Runeclaw
2010-05-11, 04:46 PM
any energy, i recomend sonic, cause is the less resisted of all energies damages.

Which property adds sonic damage? The only ones I see are Thundering and Roaring, both of which only add the damage on critical hits.

lsfreak
2010-05-11, 05:08 PM
The biggest problem with energy damage enhancements is they're not particularly good off at higher levels. Might not seem important now, especially at the rate you're leveling, but in the long run it might be better to get some frost arrows and go with a different enhancement on the actual bow. Splitting from Champions of Ruin is the best, but is +3 and thus far too expensive for you right now; Collision is a good fallback. It's in MIC or SRD or XPH and adds a flat +5dmg for +2, and thus is multiplied by critical hits, helps break through DR, and is not vulnerable to the ever-present energy resistance once you reach higher levels.

I believe it's Screaming that adds sonic damage.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-11, 05:45 PM
Psychokinetic (+1): +1d4 force damage
Screaming (+1): +1d4 sonic damage

Both in the Magic Item Compendium.

nedz
2010-05-11, 06:03 PM
If you use your spells and find the durations too short then you should consider Practiced Spellcaster. This will make your caster level 8 at 9th, rather than 4.
At 9th you only have a few spells, though you will get more (I would say soon, but) eventually.
Hopefully you have [SpC] since the spells are better than just the ones in the PH.

Barlen
2010-05-17, 01:31 AM
Epic reply post!

Evasion would be handy yes, springing traps and getting fireballed so much.
If I take ranger again and decide to go swift hunter, whats a good level to bail out of ranger ?

Ranger 11 does get you Imp precise shot from Combat style mastery so after that you have a natural break point.