PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul or Cleric?

Window459
2010-05-10, 07:37 PM
So I'm dmpc a healer for my game group cause well they need one, they are all lvl 5 and are a Dragonborn Bard, a Catfolk Warmage and a Elf Duskblade, so should i be a cleric or a favored soul they pretty much just want me there to be heal bot and not affect combat too much outside of heal so which should this guy be??

arguskos
2010-05-10, 07:38 PM
inb4 Healer?

If you seriously don't want them to DO anything but heal, then make it impossible for them to do anything BUT heal by making them a Healer.

If you want this NPC to be able to, I dunno, defend themselves, make them a Favored Soul who took nothing but cure and vigor spells or something.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-10, 07:40 PM
I would say a healbot cleric. No, it's not the most optimized, but you're not a player. Do healing, some buffing, maybe make up for certain Knowledge: deficiencies. But don't steal the spot light.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-10, 07:40 PM
Y'know, clerics don't HAVE to go 'Zilla. Full Plate is a pretty effective method of defense, or can at least be justified as such...he can just be a super-tanky cleric who does nothing but Cure.

Last Laugh
2010-05-10, 08:03 PM
So I'm dmpc a healer for my game group cause well they need one, they are all lvl 5 and are a Dragonborn Bard, a Catfolk Warmage and a Elf Duskblade, so should i be a cleric or a favored soul they pretty much just want me there to be heal bot and not affect combat too much outside of heal so which should this guy be??

Cleric is fine, look into Radiant Servant of Pelor (Cdiv I believe) Automatically maximizes healing magics, and empowers them.

Why do they need one tho? With the dragon shaman and a Wand of Lesser Vigor/Wand of Cure Light Wounds the should be able to slog through dead bodies for hours on end.

Level 5 Cleric of Pelor. Be any race you want
Domains: Sun, Good/Healing/Other Pelor Domain.
Feats:
Extra Turning
Augment Healing
Travel devotion would enable the cleric to get where he is needed
Reach Spell + Divine Metamagic Reach Spell would let him heal at a range of 30 feet, and you have plenty of turn attempts to burn.

Extra turning is the only feat requirement for Radiant Servent of Pelor.
This cleric can become a RSoP at seventh level. once he has the 9 ranks in Kno(religion)
Edit: I am dumb.

Optimystik
2010-05-10, 08:04 PM
Healer is perfect for a DMPC - you'll never get tempted to steal the spotlight, because chances are you can't.

Il_Vec
2010-05-10, 08:10 PM
Why do they need one tho? With the dragon shaman and a Wand of Lesser Vigor/Wand of Cure Light Wounds the should be able to slog through dead bodies for hours on end.

what dragon shaman?!

krossbow
2010-05-10, 08:24 PM
Healer is perfect for a DMPC - you'll never get tempted to steal the spotlight, because chances are you can't.

HEY, that unicorn companion can hurt someone! :smallbiggrin:

Amphetryon
2010-05-10, 08:25 PM
Water Shugenja with Order of the Gentle Rain. Healing will be everything.

Prodan
2010-05-10, 08:30 PM
Overall build: Bard 9/Virtuoso1/Sublime Chord2/Virtuoso8

Last Laugh
2010-05-10, 08:31 PM
what dragon shaman?!

Ooops. :o

Dragonborn =/= dragon shaman.

Window459
2010-05-10, 08:54 PM
Ooops. :o

Dragonborn =/= dragon shaman.

i was kind wondering your thought process there for a sec lol

Thurbane
2010-05-10, 10:27 PM
Unfortunately, Cleric is better than Favored Soul at just about anything.

Which is a shame, really...

Gerrtt
2010-05-10, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately, Cleric is better than Favored Soul at just about anything.

Which is a shame, really...

Not at using spell-less class features to fly!

Kosjsjach
2010-05-10, 11:23 PM

+1 to this, for exactly the reason stated. Sure, you could make the ultimate healer with Cleric/RSoP... but it'd be too easy to be awesome, which no-one wants from a DMPC.

The Healer class fits the flavor to a T; healing is all they can do. Also, consider the Touch of Healing reserve feat for 3rd level.

gbprime
2010-05-10, 11:56 PM
If you want the DMPC to be a source of knowledge skills as well, then go with cloistered cleric. Lowers the combat profile, still has all the oomph to carry things like Augmented Healing and Touch of Healing, which sounds like everything you need.

Akal Saris
2010-05-10, 11:59 PM
If you're playing a Healer, you could even check out my handbook! It's more information about the Healer than you ever wanted to know.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-11, 12:52 AM
Radiant Servant of Pelor is a good choice, but you don't want more than five levels of it. Taking the 6th level actually decreases your healing output, so use Morninglord of Lathander from Player's Guide to Faerun to finish out the build. Take the Sun and Healing domains, and use the PH2 spontaneous domain casting ACF for the Healing domain. You'll need Improved Turning for Morninglord and Extra Turning for Radiant Servant, and I'd also get Augment Healing and Touch of Healing. Your other feats are sort of open, maybe get Reach Spell with Divine Metamagic for it so you can heal at a distance. Shield Specialization and Shield Ward from PH2 wouldn't be a bad choice, and Sacred Healing and Sacred Radiance in PH2 are also useful. I'd make the final build a Human Cleric 5/ Morninglord 1/ Radiant Servant 5/ Morninglord 9, with Augment Healing and Improved Turning at 1st, Touch of Healing at 3rd, and Extra Turning at 6th. The character will have the added benefit of being able to kill most undead in a single turning attempt.

Window459
2010-05-11, 01:10 AM
thank you everyone for the advice all of it has been very helpful in my planning:smallsmile:

Thurbane
2010-05-11, 02:58 AM
Not at using spell-less class features to fly!
Non-magical flight at 17th level is hardly worth writing home about...a Dragonborn can do it by level 6.

taltamir
2010-05-11, 04:53 AM
clerics... because flavored souls suck :P
both in execution AND premise.

Y'know, clerics don't HAVE to go 'Zilla. Full Plate is a pretty effective method of defense, or can at least be justified as such...he can just be a super-tanky cleric who does nothing but Cure.

very well put.

Also, have you considered giving them access to some of the better (and cheap) healing items? Healing belt, wand of lesser vigor, etc?
You might not actually need a healbot.

If I am not mistaken, the duskblade is a type of arcane caster... I know bard has healing capability, and the warmage is definitely an arcane caster... you could just say that there are arcane healing spells (do NOT turn one of them into a healbot!) and give all 3 of them the ability to cast some basic healing spells.
This would make them a little bit more self sufficient. Yet doesn't really make them more powerful (since healing items are cheap and plentiful AND magic is more powerful when it is ending your enemy then healing yourself)