PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Hierophant construction help

Sporge
2010-05-11, 01:46 AM
Firstly I'm allowed to use pretty much any wizards of the coast 3.5 material, not a restrictive DM but as a result throws some fairly broken things at the party too :-p

Ok, with that out of the way, I want to build an arcane heirophant using druid and sorcerer. I want some dragon themed stuff which definitely includes Dragon Wild Shape at 12th level. And I was planning on taking natural spell at 6th and I want craft contingency in there somewhere to be immortal druid via last breath... you know for the lulz... Companion spellbound is also a feat I really want to fit in, just cause it keeps my shared spells up more easily...

I was planning on going with druid 3/sorcerer 4/arcane heirophant 10/mystic theurge 3 for the level progression, I like keeping more spell casting.

I was planning on using silverbrow human from Dragon magic as the base race for dragon blood bonus on some spells... but I am at a dilemma, I can't decide between:
a. focusing my feats on keeping my character up to date with things using feats like practiced spellcaster, and natural bond and instead of taking a familiar using the variant in unearthed arcana to gain an animal companion at half druid lev, which my DM said would actually just enhance my current one from druid. this route is just to help keep my class features at full.
or b. Take the dragon blood sorcerer variant in RotD to get draconic heritage instead of the familiar, and then work on getting a ton of draconic heritage feats...

It was ruled that from what arcane heirophant says you don't already need a familiar to get the benefits of companion familiar. so getting something else is actually best.... I slightly considered getting a lot of metamagic and the accelerate metamagic thing from PHB2 but decided against it, just to situational...

I guess my main question can be broken down to are draconic heritage feats worth it in the end?

Also looking for suggestions on what my animal companion should be if there are any experienced druids in the house ;) Other sugggestions are most definitely welcome, thought I don't wanna hear all the reasons wizards are better than sorcerers, I happen to like sorcerers when not just plain.

Godskook
2010-05-11, 02:13 AM
This build needs early entry, its the only way you can justify Sorcerer casting for your arcane side.

Sporge
2010-05-11, 03:30 AM
the base attack bonus requirement kinda prevents early entry...earliest I see possible is at level 7 instead of after... I mean I could get a couple extra druid levels from it, but I like having arcane spells to throw out... and I don't wanna waste a feat that I won't use again to get in with less sorcerer... I mean yeah it keeps my companion more up to date, and gets me wildshape a bit earlier... and some higher level druid spells, but I lose sorcerer spells, and a feat that I really don't get that many of...

Jack_Simth
2010-05-11, 06:55 AM
the base attack bonus requirement kinda prevents early entry...earliest I see possible is at level 7 instead of after... I mean I could get a couple extra druid levels from it, but I like having arcane spells to throw out... and I don't wanna waste a feat that I won't use again to get in with less sorcerer... I mean yeah it keeps my companion more up to date, and gets me wildshape a bit earlier... and some higher level druid spells, but I lose sorcerer spells, and a feat that I really don't get that many of...
Solution (to the BAB problem, anyway) is to take Mystic Theurge before Arcane Heirophant (it has the same BAB as the Sorcerer). The Sorcerer-1/Druid-3/Mystic Theurge-4 gives you the BAB+4 needed (and if your DM permits Fractional BAB, you can cut down to three MT levels).

As for how?

One of the simplest ways is to play an Illuman with Improved Sigil (Krau) - Races of Destiny. Basically you get to pick two Divination spells that are treated as one level higher for all purposes except what spell slot is needed. Hence, 2nd level spells. Alternately, play human, and take Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell. Versatile Spellcaster lets you use two lower-level slots to cast a spell one level higher. Heighten Spell makes a spell one level higher. Hence 2nd level spells... and both feats will remain useful (Heighten Spell is remarkably useful for a Sorcerer, due to all the low-level Save or Lose spells).

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-11, 07:24 AM
Sorc-1/ Druid-1/Anything else*-1/Mystic Theurge-7/Arcane Hierophant-10

Heighten spell+ Versatile spell caster feats for early entry.
Your race must be Bamboo Spiritfolk to get into AH.

Take MT until you have the BAB to get in to AH, then finish off with MT levels.

*Wizard or Fighter will get you a feat, thief will get you a bunch of skills and a single cleric level can be so good that it has it's own handbook.

Optimystik
2010-05-11, 07:32 AM
Your race must be Bamboo Spiritfolk to get into AH.

RAW this does not work, because AH requires "Trackless Step class feature," and the BS version is a racial ability.

I'm with Jack - fractional BAB is the best way to handle this.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-11, 07:33 AM
Instead of using Sorcerer consider going Druid 8/ Suel Arcanamach 2/ Arcane Heirophant 8+, maybe with a level of Seeker of the Misty Isle and/or Sacred Exorcist. You'll need to use an Elf or Outsider to use racial weapon proficiencies to qualify for Suel Arcanamach. Be sure to use the Otyugh Hole in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will without spending wasting a feat on it.

DarthCyberWolf
2010-05-11, 04:02 PM
Note that following the first build you had (druid 3/sorcerer 4/AH yadahyadah), you won't have Wild Shape until level 9 so you can save Natural Spell for 9 instead of 6.

Critical
2010-05-11, 04:05 PM
Wizard entry with Wiz 1/Dru 3, using Precocious Apprentice feat is much much better. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-05-11, 04:10 PM
Bard 2/Druid 3/Green Whisperer 2/Arcane Hierophant 5/Sublime Chord 1/AH +5/GW +2 = 9th level arcane + 9th level druid spells.

Green Whisperer is a 5-level PrC in Dragon #311 that advances both bard and druid casting.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-05-11, 07:21 PM
Also looking for suggestions on what my animal companion should be if there are any experienced druids in the house ;)This is a dangerous thing to ask me :smallwink:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-11, 07:29 PM
This is a dangerous thing to ask me :smallwink:

I see what you did there

Hint google supermount D&D

Sporge
2010-05-12, 12:32 AM
I like the heighten spell and versatile spell caster combo.... both are actually useful beyond the entry after all. I think the best thing might be to just get all but one level of druid casting, I was planning to use wild shape and the animal companion after all, sooo I'm thinking druid 6/ sorc 1/ into arcane heirophant, then figure what to do after probably mystic theurge... but this would get me wild shape faster keep the companion up and still get 9th level spells at least on one side.

I don't think you can get in with only 1 wiz and 3 druid, you can get into mystic theurge that way though... and from there go AH... but still I want the Charisma WEEEE!