PDA

View Full Version : Blindsight as a Class Feature

Hendel
2010-05-11, 12:12 PM
I think I have seen it before, but I am looking for a class or prestige class that offers Blindsight, not blindsense, as a class feature.

In the event that does not exist are there any items that give Blindsight (again, not Blindsense, I know about those)?

Volthawk
2010-05-11, 12:20 PM
Well, grab telepathy (for example, from Mindbender) and then take the Mindsight (Lords of Madness, page 126) feat. Done.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-05-11, 12:23 PM
Well, grab telepathy (for example, from Mindbender) and then take the Mindsight (Lords of Madness, page 126) feat. Done.

Not actually Blindsight, but it is a close equivalent. You should be able to buy a Helm of True Darkness (or something like that), which gets you some 60 ft. of Blindsight for a little coin.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-11, 12:29 PM
From the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff):
Blindsight
Eye of Gruumsh 5, ecl 11, Complete Warrior, 5', 10' at level 8
Scout 20, Complete Adventurer, 30'
combat awareness, feat, PHB2 - 5'
Henshin Mystic, PrC, Oriental Adventures
Shade Hunter 10, ecl 15, FR: Champions of Ruin, 30'
Slime Lord, PrC, Player's Guide to Faerun
Blindsighted, weapon enhancement, Underdark
Blindfold of True Darkness, item, Arms and Equipment Guide, p.130, Grants 60' Blindsight and immunity to gaze attacks, but negates allother vision
Tentacle whip, symbiote, Eberron Campaign Setting - the symbiote has blindsight 60 feet and can communicate what it "sees" telepathically
Cerebral hood, symbiote, Fiend Folio - see above
Necrocarnum Circlet, soulmelt, Magic of Incarnum, 30' for undead only
Shadow Mantle, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum, 5' or more, see text
Orthos, vestige, ecl 17, Tome of Magic, 30'
Umbral Disciple 7, ecl 12, Magic of Incarnum, 10' per essentia
Scorpion Wraith 4, ecl 9, Eberron: Secrets of Xen'drik, 60' limited use, see text
Devil's Sight, feat, Fiendish Codex II, grants darkvision and limited use blindsight 30', see text

Person_Man
2010-05-11, 01:00 PM
Also note that there's a very cheap magic item in the Magic Item Compendium (Veil of Something) that grants Blindsight. So there's really no reason to invest in levels of a specific class to get it.

Hendel
2010-05-11, 01:11 PM
From the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff):

Excellent resource you just led me to there. Thanks!

It was the 20th level Scout ability that I had seen and could not recall. I was looking at doing this without the use of items and while 20th level is a lot to invest, the Scout would work well with what I am considering.

WoodenSword
2010-05-11, 01:15 PM
I had a DM once use that for his PC, who was a blind Samurai. He was, by the DM given Blindsight instead of regular sight, but he was still a "blind swordsman"

Hendel
2010-05-11, 01:27 PM
I had a DM once use that for his PC, who was a blind Samurai. He was, by the DM given Blindsight instead of regular sight, but he was still a "blind swordsman"

That was the kind of build I was looking into, but it is really hard to deviate from the normal in D&D and still stay effective. You can do it, but it will require some levels or feats or some items. Like I said, I was looking for ways to do it as a more inate ability and less dependant on an item(s).

Like the little girl on Avatar or the ranger mentor to Drizzt or the fictional kung-fu master of legend, etc...

sonofzeal
2010-05-11, 01:34 PM
I'd go with Combat Awareness. It's pretty easy to get, pretty balanced, pretty useful, and the whole Combat Focus line of feats is fun. It also means that you maintain some of the weaknesses of blindness, and have to navigate by sound most of the time.

The one thing I'd do as DM is let you maintain combat focus 24/7, or at least let you reactivate it by waving your sword around once every minute or so.

Person_Man
2010-05-11, 01:48 PM
That was the kind of build I was looking into, but it is really hard to deviate from the normal in D&D and still stay effective. You can do it, but it will require some levels or feats or some items. Like I said, I was looking for ways to do it as a more inate ability and less dependant on an item(s).

Like the little girl on Avatar or the ranger mentor to Drizzt or the fictional kung-fu master of legend, etc...

Slime Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150827) is actually a pretty good PrC. Grants Supernatural Alter Self (which can be easily abused), a paralyzing touch, Extraordinary Blindsight, and a bunch of Slime-like abilities and immunities. It'd be easy to re-fluff as a blind martial arts master/oriental trickster spirit.

WoodenSword
2010-05-11, 01:52 PM
Slime Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150827) is actually a pretty good PrC. Grants Supernatural Alter Self (which can be easily abused), a paralyzing touch, Extraordinary Blindsight, and a bunch of Slime-like abilities and immunities. It'd be easy to re-fluff as a blind martial arts master/oriental trickster spirit.

Maybe, but for Toph (blind hottie from Avatar: Last Airbender), a monk homebrew feat is a better option. maybe a "Blindsense 30'" feat?

Draz74
2010-05-11, 02:04 PM
Pshhh. Toph does NOT have Blindsense or Blindsight ... that's TOTALLY Tremorsense.

So ... six levels of Horizon Walker? Doesn't fit her backstory very well.

Panigg
2010-05-11, 03:00 PM
Tome of Battle Diamond Mind stance Hear the Air.

Blindsight out to 30 feat.

P.S: It's Level 5.

Hendel
2010-05-11, 03:09 PM

P.S: It's Level 5.

Sweet!! Even better!

Greenish
2010-05-11, 03:09 PM

P.S: It's Level 5.Blindsense, not blindsight. "Level 5 stance" means that you can get it at level 18 the earliest if you don't have Initiator classes.

Hendel
2010-05-11, 03:10 PM
Blindsense, not blindsight. Level 5 maneuver means that you can get it at level 18 the earliest if you don't have Initiator classes.

Okay, not so good then.

Panigg
2010-05-11, 03:17 PM
Wups. Blindsense, right.

JaronK
2010-05-11, 03:20 PM
The easy way is to use the Blindfold of True Darkness. It's cheap as heck and grants 30' Blindsight (but you can't use normal vision).

JaronK

Jair Barik
2010-05-11, 03:30 PM
If yoiu are thinking something to do with being blind perhaps a permanencied form of the Psionic power Synesthete would be call. It lets you feel light or hear light. It can also be used to see sound if you are blinded. Its a pretty cool power and is only level 1 (with a 10 minute/level duration)

Dilb
2010-05-11, 04:22 PM
Blindsight, 5 ft radius (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#blindsight5FtRadius). It requires much less BAB than combat awareness (4 vs 12), but requires 19 WIS.

Mando Knight
2010-05-11, 05:12 PM
You could also be an Awakened Porpoise, but that's just silly. :smalltongue:

Jair Barik
2010-05-11, 05:40 PM
On these very forums at this very moment players are discussing the most interesting things you can do with an elephant as your character in 3.5.

I would hardly called awakened porpoise silly :smallbiggrin:

IonDragon
2010-05-11, 05:45 PM
Obscure and incomplete reference: In Ravenloft, there is a Cleric PRC with full casting progression and some cool special abilities. It's in one of the splat books, but I can't recall either what it's called or what the book is called :smalleek:

EDIT: Capstone ability is Blindsight

Mando Knight
2010-05-11, 06:07 PM
On these very forums at this very moment players are discussing the most interesting things you can do with an elephant as your character in 3.5.

I would hardly called awakened porpoise silly :smallbiggrin:

Well, unless it's high enough level to cast Overland Flight, an awakened porpoise is mostly useless outside of an aquatic campaign... at least it doesn't have that pesky "suffocating" trouble that awakened sharks have in the air.