PDA

View Full Version : Wizard/Paladin Synergy Feats <3.5>

WoodenSword
2010-05-11, 01:39 PM
I realise that I recently (today) posted a build that used Wizard and Paladin. Well, in likeness of such, here are a couple feats that flow on this relationship:

Intellectual Knight
You are a genius, both a master of tactics and magic, which makes you a deadly adversary
Prerequisites: Sword of the Arcane Order
Your Paladin casting is based on Intelligence instead of Wisdom. Also, you can add your intelligence on top of charisma to saves.

Mage-Knight (Tactical)
Your ability to flow from magic to melee and back becomes quite a deadly talent
Prerequisite: Sword of the Arcane Order
In combat, you may choose from one of the following maneuvers. One per round:
Arcane Armor- You cast an abjuration spell that increases your AC by an additional +4/Paladin and Wizard level (Max of +5 each)
Dispelling Smite- Whenever you smite a spellcaster, their spells gain an addition arcane spell failure as if they were wearing fullplate and a tower shield for 1d6+1 rounds
Magical Backlash- By sacrificing one spell slot, your weapon deals Typeless damage equal to 1/2 CLd8+CHA+INT reguardless of whether or not you hit. If you are hit after using this maneuver, the foe who attacked you takes half of the damage.

deuxhero
2010-05-11, 01:46 PM
I like the second. I'd say Dispelling Smite is horribly broken, but it's 5 a day at level 20, and a spell caster that is hit by a Paladin rightfully should be punished.

Note that the Mystic Fire Knight (which require the same deity as SotAO) sub levels (it's in a preview somewhere) also give an anti-caster smite that is very similar.

edit Preview down the page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20051104a).

ErrantX
2010-05-11, 01:52 PM
I realise that I recently (today) posted a build that used Wizard and Paladin. Well, in likeness of such, here are a couple feats that flow on this relationship:

Intellectual Knight
You are a genius, both a master of tactics and magic, which makes you a deadly adversary
Prerequisites: Sword of the Arcane Order
Your Paladin casting is based on Intelligence instead of Wisdom. Also, you can add your intelligence on top of charisma to saves.

I'd change this to be like the Serenity feat, change all Paladin abilities to key off of Intelligence.

Mage-Knight (Tactical)
Your ability to flow from magic to melee and back becomes quite a deadly talent
Prerequisite: Sword of the Arcane Order
In combat, you may choose from one of the following maneuvers. One per round:
Arcane Armor- You cast an abjuration spell that increases your AC by an additional +4/Paladin and Wizard level (Max of +5 each)
Dispelling Smite- Whenever you smite a spellcaster, their spells gain an addition arcane spell failure as if they were wearing fullplate and a tower shield for 1d6+1 rounds
Magical Backlash- By sacrificing one spell slot, your weapon deals Typeless damage equal to 1/2 CLd8+CHA+INT reguardless of whether or not you hit. If you are hit after using this maneuver, the foe who attacked you takes half of the damage.

Arcane armor is way stronger than Abjurant Champion's ability, which is arguably pretty dang strong. By word as written, that looks like a shield spell could increase your AC by +14. Yikes.
Dispelling smite effectively takes an arcane caster out of a battle. Completely. In a single hit. TOO STRONG! If it cast a dispel magic on their highest level buff (if applicable) that'd be fine though.
Magical Backlash is fine, albeit complicated.

-X

WoodenSword
2010-05-11, 02:09 PM
I'd change this to be like the Serenity feat, change all Paladin abilities to key off of Intelligence.

Arcane armor is way stronger than Abjurant Champion's ability, which is arguably pretty dang strong. By word as written, that looks like a shield spell could increase your AC by +14. Yikes.
Dispelling smite effectively takes an arcane caster out of a battle. Completely. In a single hit. TOO STRONG! If it cast a dispel magic on their highest level buff (if applicable) that'd be fine though.
Magical Backlash is fine, albeit complicated.

-X

1. Serenity feat? which book is it from?!

2a. It's meant to be a tank-based ability, not for Sword and Board guys
2b. Okay. maybe they could lose one spell slot?
2c. It's for guys like me, who's d20 is marked 1-10 twice (in english, my rolls consistantly suck, minus the one time in one throw of my throwing axe I rolled 6 consecutive Nat. 20's on 2 separate d20's) and are first target of opponents, reguardless of what I play

hamishspence
2010-05-11, 02:16 PM
If he's talking about the Serenity feat in Dragon Compendium- it allows the paladin to use Wisdom instead of Charisma for:

Divine Grace, Smite Evil, Turn Undead, Lay on Hands

But that's all it does- it doesn't affect spellcasting.

WoodenSword
2010-05-11, 02:21 PM
If he's talking about the Serenity feat in Dragon Compendium- it allows the paladin to use Wisdom instead of Charisma for:

Divine Grace, Smite Evil, Turn Undead, Lay on Hands

But that's all it does- it doesn't affect spellcasting.

ah...Mesee...

Adding that one to my paladin/wizard build

peacenlove
2010-05-11, 07:21 PM
In this web enchantment (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) There is the High one warrior wizard subtitution level which combines wizard and paladin abilities. They are weak but nice grounds for ideas to steal :smallbiggrin:

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 01:58 PM
In this web enchantment (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) There is the High one warrior wizard subtitution level which combines wizard and paladin abilities. They are weak but nice grounds for ideas to steal :smallbiggrin:

I knew that. That's why I made these feats