PDA

View Full Version : who is wealthier? (edited due to grammar)

Logic
2006-08-04, 12:46 AM
Batman/Bruce Wayne, or Iron Man Tony Stark?

Give a reason, and vote.

My vote is to Iron Man/Tony Stark, due to the Iron Man Armor (it has to cost more than the Batsuit, the Batmobile, the Batplane, the Batboat, and the Batcave combined) and Tony Stark is famous for developing weapons and Technology for the government, as well as owning real estate.

Beleriphon
2006-08-04, 01:15 AM
I'd have to go with Wayne. In DC it is one of the largest corporations in the world, they build the JLA watchtower and the moon base. And that plane, lets assume for a moment that its equally advanced as an F-22 Raptor it must cost upwards of 40 million. For just the plane.

Wayne Enterprises at one point was described as having a larger total worth than Lexcorp, which is the premier weapons manufacturer for DC. Or at least was at one point.

As for real estate Wayne owns a rather substantial portion of Gotham. Not exactly a small amount of land.

I'm going to have to toss my vote if for Bruce Wayne.

Edit: One last thought. Bruce needs to do everything under the radar. That usually means things cost way more than they otherwise would. While I'm sure that Stark Enterprises spent a fortune on the base of operations, Tony doesn't pay for that out of his pocket. Bruce probably pays for every toy, every little thing out of his own funds. And still manages to appear to be stupidly wealthy.

Dhavaer
2006-08-04, 02:40 AM
I'm going to support it for Wayne. Massive spacestattions FTW!

Also, it's 'wealthier'. 'Richer' is for the plebs.

KayJay
2006-08-04, 04:22 AM
Bruce is richer. Tony Stark has had problems financially, which is one of the reasons why he couldn't fund the avengers.

Jack_Banzai
2006-08-04, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Tony Stark > Bruce Wayne > Tony Stark.

Logic
2006-08-05, 11:59 PM
ok, but did batman/Bruce Wanye ever try to fund the JLA?
Stark did at one point fund the Avengers, and did so once again, at a later date.
So, perhaps Stark was not as wealthy as Wayne after the avengers dissasmbled, but now, who knows for sure?

Beleriphon
2006-08-06, 01:41 AM

More or less. And it was sort of this side line kind of thing, you know hidden in the tax receipts.

KayJay
2006-08-07, 07:51 AM
Stark did at one point fund the Avengers, and did so once again, at a later date.
So, perhaps Stark was not as wealthy as Wayne after the avengers dissasmbled, but now, who knows for sure?
Actually, he still can't afford to fund the avengers. That's why they're working from his own mansion instead of an actual base, and why they're flying a prototype quinjet which they had made beforehand.

sun_tzu
2006-08-07, 04:09 PM
Wasn't the JLA funded (in the start at least) by Olliver Queen (aka Green Arrow)?

Beleriphon
2006-08-08, 01:41 AM
Wasn't the JLA funded (in the start at least) by Olliver Queen (aka Green Arrow)?

Perhaps, although he might have hit his neo-commie hippie phase at that point.

Finwe
2006-08-08, 08:31 AM
Wayne Enterprises at one point was described as having a larger total worth than Lexcorp, which is the premier weapons manufacturer for DC. Or at least was at one point.

Didn't it acquire Lexcorp?

Jack_Banzai
2006-08-08, 02:20 PM
Didn't it acquire Lexcorp?

Yes. Prior to Lex's impeachment, Talia al Ghul executed a takeover of Lexcorp and subsequently gave over all of the holdings to Wayne Enterprises.

Kosmopolite
2006-08-18, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I'd probably say Bruce Wayne too. Mainly because of the main difference between the two companies (DC and Marvel). The former tends to create symbols. Icons. Stereotypes, a cynic might say. Superman is the hero. Batman is the anti-hero. (An even more cynical person might say that in the 'Big Three' Wonder Woman is just that - the Woman, but that's another thread).

Marvel, on the other hand, seems to base its characters in some semblance of a 'real' world (using the term loosely). Spiderman is probably the best example of this - the ultimate everyman. A geeky high school student who gets lucky. Is there an equivalent character in DC?

Regardless, Stark's company has peaks and troughs, whereas Wayne, as someone above said, always seems to be preternaturally wealthy.

Now, the level of realism you prefer in your comics is your business, but I'd say that when it comes to DC vs. Marvel, unless you're talking realism, DC wins every time.

((Hi, btw. First post.))

Steward
2006-08-18, 11:30 PM
Of course, Bruce Wayne's company is run by Lucius Fox, also known as Pluto, the god of wealth. The man can probably snap his fingers and spontaneously generate enough cash to buy a continent.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-08-24, 12:56 AM
Spiderman is probably the best example of this - the ultimate everyman. A geeky high school student who gets lucky. Is there an equivalent character in DC?
Well, in S:TAS Green Lantern (an amalgam of the comics' Hal Jordan and Kyle Raynor, named for the latter and looking like the former) began as a struggling cartoonist for The Daily Planet. Kyle was a bit older than Peter, though--mid-twenties or thereabouts. He recieved his power ring from Abin-Sur as he lay mortally wounded. It's not every day a dying alien gives you ultimate power.

...Well, okay, in the DC-verse it's damn near a daily occurence. Can't take two steps in Metropolis without tripping over an alien, it seems.... ;)

Okay, how about Gargoyles' David Xanatos? He's probably got enough money to rival fellow animated industrial giants like Stark, Wayne, and Luthor....

Kosmopolite
2006-08-24, 04:44 PM
If I can just counter...

Well, in S:TAS Green Lantern ... began as a struggling cartoonist for The Daily Planet ... [and was given] ultimate power.

Spider-man wasn't given Ultimate Power. In fact, someone beats the crap out of him on a regular basis.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-08-25, 01:08 AM
Spider-man wasn't given Ultimate Power. In fact, someone beats the crap out of him on a regular basis.
Hence the difference between DC and Marvel superheroes. DC heroes always seem godlike and larger than life, fighting with one hand and stifling a yawn with the other. Marvel heroes are frequently on the outside looking in, the hated, the outcasts, the losers in life's lottery. They live hard and often die hard.