PDA

View Full Version : Initiative-based combatant(3.5, PEACH)

PersonMan
2010-05-11, 05:55 PM
Suggestions for a name?

Requirements
Tumble 6 ranks
Improved Initiative feat
Initiative bonus of +6 or higher

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Improved Speed +2

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Speedy Strike +1d4

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|

4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Burst Move, Improved Speed +4

5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Speedy Strike +2d4

6th|+6|+2|+5|+2|Speedy Block

7th|+7|+2|+5|+2|Improved Speed +6

8th|+8|+2|+6|+2|Speedy Strike +3d4

9th|+9|+3|+6|+3|

10th|+10|+3|+7|+3|Improved Speed +8

[/table]

Three-level Version
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Improved Speed +2
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Speedy Strike +2d4, Speedy Block
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Burst Move, Improved Speed +4
[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills:
Bluff(Cha), Knowledge(dungeoneering)(Int), Listen(Wis), Profession(Wis),
Ride(Dex), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex), Use Rope(Dex)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: An X does not gain any weapon or armor proficiencies.

Improved Speed: Starting at first level, an X gains this number as a bonus to their initiative. It stacks with those from any source, such as the feat Improved Initiative.

Speedy Strike: At second level and higher, an X can deal extra damage to those who are slow to respond. An X gains bonus damage equal to the amount shown on the table above to enemies that are below it in the initiative order.

Burst Move: Starting at 4th level, an X can take an extra move action on their turn. This causes them to 'lose' two points in the initiative order. They can be moved down the order through this loss. At 8th level, an X take an additional standard action, instead losing four points of initiative. This can only be done once per round, a number of times per day equal to the user's X level+their dexterity modifier.

Speedy Block: Xs defend themselves more easily against slow enemies. They gain a bonus to AC and to-hit rolls equal to their X level against enemies below them in the initiative order.
-------------
Alright, so, this was inspired by Fax's Ranger's Momentum ability. I'm not sure on the name for the class, or the name for the "Speedy Strike" ability. I want to add more abilities, as this class seems sort of 'meh' at this point, but am not sure what to add.

Temotei
2010-05-11, 06:07 PM
I'd say improved speed should give +2 at 1st level, +4 at 4th, +6 at 7th, and +8 at 10th.

+3d4 damage is kind of pitiful, but it is on every attack. Kind of low though. Perhaps giving speedy strike at 1st level and raising it every three levels from there would give a little more. Plus, you'd have something new related to offense at 1st level other than a very "meh" initiative bonus.

It's probably possible to abuse burst move. You have nothing restricting the use of it in an encounter or in a round. Adding a "once per round" clause could help. I'm also guessing the minimum you can have in initiative is 1.

EDIT: Also, BAB requirements stink. They're boring. Make the requirement Tumble 8 ranks or movement speed of 30 feet or more or something.

PersonMan
2010-05-11, 06:13 PM
Alright.

For Improved Speed, I was just worried about the bonus getting too high, but that's what I get after a few years of having people who balk at anything "overpowered" like a +8 to initiative....

Changing it now. There we go.

Siosilvar
2010-05-11, 06:54 PM
Suggestions: 3-level PrC. Gain +2 init and Speedy Strike at 1st, Momentum at 2nd, Burst Move at 3rd.

Speedy Strike: An X has honed their speed to the point where they can strike quick and hard against those slow to respond. Their first attack against an opponent in a round receives a damage bonus equal to 1d4 per 2 points of initiative the X is higher. This bonus damage is limited to 2d4 per X level.Do note that you can get this more than once per round, but only if you attack multiple opponents.

Perhaps an AC boost if you're higher? Ability to full-attack as a standard action at a cost of Initiative?

PersonMan
2010-05-11, 06:58 PM
Alright, I'll try both suggestions.

I'd like to avoid making it too complicated, though. So, probably just a static +X bonus to hit/AC if you're higher in initiative, rather than +X per Y you are above them, although it'd be pretty cool.