PDA

View Full Version : NeverEnding Dungeon - Magnus (HunterofJello)

NeverEnding DM
2010-05-11, 06:29 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=205411)

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 02:37 AM
Furious at suddenly waking up in a strange room Magnus stands up and Magnus slowly looks around to get a bearing on his surroundings. He checks his gear for any damage, and readies himself for a fight, if need be.

He inspects the walls and room, while quietly listening to the dropping water and any other possible sounds as best he can. He then swings his Spiked Chain around the room to make sure nothing invisible is standing near him.

Search [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

He looks carefully at his surroundings to see if he can identify any familiar structures or cave patterns.
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) [roll2]
Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering)[roll3]

Magnus carefully approaches the door at C-4 and carefully looks it over to see if there is anything different about it that might even shine some light on his current situation.

Search[roll4]

Finally, he walks next to the door, presses his ear against it (assuming he didn't notice something dangerous about the door) and attempts to listen to anything that might be on the other side.

Listen [roll5]

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-12, 02:42 AM
Nothing at all interesting. The room appears to be an underground cavern, carved out of solid rock.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 02:57 AM
[[Guess I hear nothing too.]]

Magnus opens the door slowly while standing against the wall. He looks into the area outside the room carefully.

Spot [roll0]

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-12, 03:17 AM
The corridor outside is unlit. Any interesting vision modes?

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 03:26 AM
[[Nope.]]

Magnus retrieves the lit torch from the room and begins walking down the corridor with his spiked chain in hand and trying not to make too much noise.

most silently [roll0]

qoalabear
2010-05-12, 03:56 AM
You pull on the torch, and
It comes free of the sconce. Seems safe enough.

Your new light illuminates the passage, revealing the hall runs to the south and east. Your chain clinks fairly loudly as you step into the hallway.
To the east: After 10', the corridor splits north and south. After 30', there's a door on the north wall. The corridor continues outside of your sight.
To the south: After 20', the corridor splits east. It stops 30' from you at a T-intersection.

Which way are you going?

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 04:42 AM
[[Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by the map directions you gave. Does it look like this?]]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Hunterofjello/map.jpg?t=1273657126

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-12, 04:56 AM
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4074/nedfloor1start.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/nedfloor1start.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 06:38 AM
Magnus swings his chain back over his shoulder to make less noise. He walks 10ft east towards next to the door to the north while looking east and south down the hallway.

He checks the door for traps and then (probably) put his ear to the door to listen to anything inside.

Search [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

qoalabear
2010-05-12, 07:24 AM
I'm a tad confused where you are. Are you moving 10' east to the 4-way intersection? And moving towards the door that leads north?

Looking south from the 4-way intersection, you see a door as in Term1nally's map. Looking north, the path turns right after 20'.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 07:36 AM
[[ohp, i thought that path was a door]]

After putting his face up against it, Magnus realizes what he thought was a door was actually a hallway. He walks 20ft east and repeats the process checking and listening.

Search [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

qoalabear
2010-05-12, 07:47 AM
Ah. Yes, the little rectangles on the walls are doors, not the cutoff hallways.

Halfway to the door,
The floor drops away from under you.

Make a reflex save.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 09:21 AM
[[wow, no search check?]]

reflex save [roll0]

[[ouch, forgot to use Cunning Insight. hope this doesn't kill me]]

qoalabear
2010-05-12, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, your search check didn't find anything despite the really high roll. There's a search DC, but it's up there.

You fall 20' into a 5'-wide pit.
[roll0]

HunterOfJello
2010-05-12, 12:49 PM
Magnus shakes himself off, lets loose a series of profanities and pulls out his rope and grapling hook. He throws the grapling hook up towards the top of the pit until it latches on properly.

He then spends some time trying to climb back up.

(repeat climb checks in case of failure)
climb [roll0]
climb [roll1]
climb [roll2]
climb [roll3]
climb [roll4]
climb [roll5]
climb [roll6]
climb [roll7]

Once he's back on the top, he rolls up his rope and puts it back into his bag along with the grapling hook. He pulls out his spiked chain again, then walks up to the door.

He first scans the space in front of it, then checks out the door and listens inside.

search (space) [roll8]
search (door) [roll9]
listen [roll10]

qoalabear
2010-05-12, 04:28 PM
You can take 10 on things like that to save on time. You also would need to roll Use Rope to place the grappling hook, but I'll just say you took 10 on that one since you'll barely reach the DC14 with the silk rope bonus.

I also assume you want to come out on the east side of the pit? :smallbiggrin:
You climb out easily and make it to the door.

You find no traps. It's difficult to make out much through the sliding slab of heavy metals that passes for a door in here.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-14, 02:52 AM
Magnus opens the door with his back against the wall next to it. He leans over and peers inside.

spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]

qoalabear
2010-05-14, 04:33 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||L||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south and E1 north. You are outside A5 south.
In the room there is an ugly looking, blue scaled, lizard thing with fire in it's mouth!
Initiative: [roll0]

HunterOfJello
2010-05-14, 06:02 PM
Initiative [roll0]

qoalabear
2010-05-14, 09:01 PM
He breathes a gout of flame at you that clings to you even as it singes your flesh.
[roll0] (Ref. save for 1/2, minimum 1)

If you take any damage (I see no evasion or fire resistance), you're entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled). You're limited to half-speed.

He then retreats to the far corner of the room (E1).

HunterOfJello
2010-05-14, 11:27 PM
Reflex [roll0] (Don't know the DC)

Magnus charges at the enemy and attacks with his spiked chain. (Or just closes the distance.)

attack (charge) [roll1]

damage [roll2]

-2 AC

qoalabear
2010-05-15, 12:01 AM
You fail the save.

Since you're entangled, you can't charge. Or attack it, apparently. I guess you close the distance. Where to?

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||L
2|||||
3|||||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south and E1 north.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-15, 12:41 PM
If that's the case, then Magnus stays outside of the room and moves to where B6 would be in the hallway.

qoalabear
2010-05-15, 07:58 PM
You take ongoing fire damage from the lizard guy's breath. [roll0]
The fire and entanglement will last for [roll1] more rounds.

You wait just outside the door, but he doesn't seem to pursue.