PDA

View Full Version : Stuppor heros

Ing
2006-06-21, 02:24 PM
i was thinking of starting either a comical farce parady story...maybe in the form of a web comic.

premise, its a superhero type world...but my focus is on superheros who have powers with incredible down sides

main ch aracter is decided to be Captian Burnvictim man...he has all the powers of the human toarch...save fire proofing.

afterseeing the crackerjack job we did with the butterfly superhero anyone have some sugestions for incredibly painful, stupid, or self detremental or preverted super powers that could be used? feel free to use stupid ideas used in real life Marvel or DC...god knows there's many there, or your own brainstorms...

brainstorm! my minions, brainSTORM!

so far i have

For Heros!

Captian Burnvictim Man : pyro kenisis...no fire proof
Mr. Resesatate : has died and come back more than any other superhero
Ironlung Man: poleo victim in a military grade X battle Iron Lung armor
the Visible Man : he's...extreamly vissible
Nemesis Boy : everyone "just dosnt' like him"
Ugly Girl : her face can paralize, turn to tstone...or cause you to explode...every victory is a defeat to her self image!
The INcredible Eddible Man : he's....oddly delicious
Redundent man : has over 500 superpowers...unfortuantly they all escentually heat things up
What's-ez-name : oppisite of visible man...is extreamly forgetable. no one remembers him after a day regardless of how many times they've seen him before. possibly the twin brother of Visible Man. no one knows for sure as Visible Man of course insists that he has no brother...whether this is true or a side effect of Whats-ex-name's power is unknowable!

Were-Sandwich
2006-06-21, 02:25 PM
The visible man.

Ing
2006-06-21, 02:29 PM
hmmmmmmmm say is his superpower being incredibly visible? like even people who are normally blind can see him...(but just him)...even if they are totally blind or have no eyes? would say if he were on a stealth bomber would he show up on radar just flying through the air in a sitting position?

I LIKE IT

jots down/steals

EDIT: added irony if HE HIMSELF is blind or visually chalanged

Jacklu
2006-06-21, 02:40 PM
Nemasis man: Has the ability to make anyone his mortal enemy, just by meeting them. I'm not kidding, people can't help but hate him. And not because he's a jerk or anything, he just produces an energy field that causes people to loath him.

The incredable edible man: Incredably delicous, especially to himself.

Ugly girl. So ugly that she can cause anyone to fall to their knees and weep with just one look. Of course, this includes the other super heros.

Ing
2006-06-21, 02:47 PM
Nemasis man: Has the ability to make anyone his mortal enemy, just by meeting them. I'm not kidding, people can't help but hate him. And not because he's a jerk or anything, he just produces an energy field that causes people to loath him.

i offically cracked up reading Nemasis man...he's in. i can just picture making him with Jimmy Olson or Robin's personality. he's the guy they send down the coridor to scout/trigger traps. they'll make him wear a bright red uniform with a target around his heart...cause they 'just don't like him' oh god that was funny as all hall

Runolfr
2006-06-21, 02:56 PM

Cursed by Satan, perhaps?

"Let that ill-gotten donut be forever on your head!"

Idiotbox90
2006-06-21, 03:28 PM
What's-His-Name: His super-power is that everyone forgets who he is. Whenever he shows up for a meeting, he has to re-introduce himself. Bad guys never always forget to set a trap for him when they attack the team. He hasn't recieved a birthday present since he was eleven and his power activated. The morning after is always really awkward.

Keebler_the_Elf
2006-06-21, 03:38 PM
How about someone who is super stable, and nothing can knock them over, but they have no extra resistance to harm. So someone could run into them and they wont fall over, but it would hurt like crazy!

The human carry-all. His pokets can hold anything inside of them, but he has no extra strength to move any of it.

Anything like that works well... Mat the super strong super hero who gets around in a mind-linked wheelchair cause he has no arms of legs. Someone who can fly but is afraid of heights. Or can fly up but not down.

Also, the human lightbulb, someone that always glows, very bright. They have no other powers. Imagine how tired they would always be.

Emperor Demonking
2006-06-21, 03:43 PM
A man who can instantly kill all those, he can see. Problem is he's blind.

A man who can summon lions, can't control them but can summon them.

Were-Sandwich
2006-06-21, 03:46 PM
Wrecking Ball: A man with the ability to beak anything he touches with his bare hands. Problem is he can't control it. Imagine going to the toilet.

uranium194
2006-06-21, 04:35 PM
How about

Magnet Man - everything metal he touches becomes the polar opposite (thus not able to control it)
Ice man - extremely hypothermic
Birdman - Afraid of heights

Just a few paradies of some old favs. ;D

Beleriphon
2006-06-21, 04:48 PM
Well, any of the Mystery Men work really well here.

You might also want to try The Incredible Plant Guy. His only power is that he can make plants grow, but can't make them stop.

Tag line:
Remember that crazy tree city? Yeah, that was me trying to get a little girl's petunia to grow... just a little.

ElfLad
2006-06-21, 05:13 PM
HydroGuy! He can talk to fish. But they don't listen.

Eladrinstar
2006-06-21, 05:55 PM
Mercury Woman: Her power is to heat or cool the air to chilly (but not cold) or warm (but not hot). Mercury(as in the element) fills her eyes when she does this, and after she activates her power she runs around trying to scrape the mercury out.

Bluelantern
2006-06-21, 06:07 PM
Clawman = he has claws just like wolwerine, but no healing factor, that must hurt...

Bloody Mary =Can shoot blood out of her nose ;D

CelestialStick
2006-06-21, 06:08 PM
Mercury Woman: Her power is to heat or cool the air to chilly (but not cold) or warm (but not hot). Mercury(as in the element) fills her eyes when she does this, and after she activates her power she runs around trying to scrape the mercury out.
That's actually pretty gross.

Brett Wong
2006-06-21, 06:14 PM

Ugly girl. So ugly that she can cause anyone to fall to their knees and weep with just one look. Of course, this includes the other super heros.

I think that ugly girls costume should be normal cloths but she wears a paper bag over her head with 2 holes for eyes.

Madmal
2006-06-21, 06:23 PM
Metamorph.- has the ability to control anything but (as ausual here) can't control the duration or the form he takes

-he may spontaneously transform into godzilla while the heroes travel in a little sub....
-clothes also change, especially on embarrasing situations....
-he can turn into something usefull, but not at the time when it's useful

edit.- oh, yeah! he also has identity crisis

CelestialStick
2006-06-21, 07:34 PM
-he may spontaneously transform into godzilla while the heroes travel in a little sub....

Well that would put them all in Davey Jones's locker, wouldn't it? ;)

Sneak
2006-06-21, 08:35 PM
Average Strength Man! I think the name says it all.

Average Man! Think Moist von Lipwig. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Discworld_characters#Moist_von_Lipwig) So average looking, with no distinguishing characteristics, so no one ever really pays any attention to him. Works as a disguise.

fetfet
2006-06-21, 09:06 PM
Tree Man! turns into a tree.

The problem is that he's a tree.

[hr]

Bad Joke man! tells jokes that hurt people. Like this

Ok, so ,what is, a mouseseses favourite game? Par-cheezy
*cricket noise*
Uh...

Bluelantern
2006-06-21, 09:09 PM
A man who can instantly kill all those, he can see. Problem is he's blind.

A man who can summon lions, can't control them but can summon them.
good idea, but how about another more funny animal? maybe something that will always attack him (but not killing) and bite in the head, while he cry like a little 10 year old girl

Flabbicus
2006-06-21, 09:10 PM
Tree Man! turns into a tree.

The problem is that he's a tree.

[hr]

Bad Joke man! tells jokes that hurt people. Like this

Ok, so ,what is, a mouseseses favourite game? Par-cheezy
*cricket noise*
Uh...

Call him Dendriform Man!

dendriform- having the shape or form of a tree

Ing
2006-06-21, 10:56 PM
all good sugestions keep them going

so far i have drawn up the concept art for captian burn victime man, Ugly girl (a typical hot scanty super heroine costume...with a paper bag over her head), Nemasis boy, and the visible man,

i also like Whats-his-name...i can seem him fitting in.
the wrecking ball is a good one but i really love the idea of a strong man in a wheel chair. i think i'll give him a superpower like invulnrability...sadly in a freak farm accident he was quadro paralized before he got his powers...nothing can harm him...but he can't move anything bellow his neck.

i'm gonna merge treeman and plant guy into one to get the Amazing Fertalizer

the summoning lions idea...is the name Sigried Roy in too bad taste for that character?

Madmal
2006-06-21, 11:10 PM
I also like Whats-his-name...i can seem him fitting in.

you mean my guy, Metamorph? or Average man?

i may post some more, if i get inspirated (getting addicted to One Piece, and it has some hillarius moments that may work as inspiration)

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-22, 01:28 AM
I always thought Edward Scissorhands was a misfit superhero of sorts--he has giant blades for hands, for the love of all that's holy. How does he...umm...how to put this delicately...spank his monkey or wipe his butt?

There was also a character in the old DC books called Matter-Eater Lad...supposedly he could eat anything, even non-food items. All well and good, but...what goes in has to come out, and I don't want to have to be around this guy three days after he eats, like, a steel door or something. "Aw, Matt, you stopped up the john! That's the third time this week! There's water everyplace! Can't we hire some sort of super plumber or something to deal with this?!?"

Somewhere in my BDC notes I have sketches of a female pirate character...with pegs for boobs.... :-/

Teron
2006-06-22, 03:04 AM
The Wonder Twins.

ElfLad
2006-06-22, 03:09 AM
Swifty McFast. He can run really fast, but his mind works at normal speed. Thus, slow reflexes. Runs into things a lot.

Ar-Sakal
2006-06-22, 04:02 AM
Hmmmm.... heroes with stupid powers... can you pencil in half of DC's and Marvel's characters or would you get sued?

If you could get sued, there is always Lawyerman, the most daring and tenacious lawyer out there...

verloren
2006-06-22, 04:06 AM
I think they do a good job of Stupor (http://www.leasticoulddo.com/index2.php?date=20060620) powers as they are.

But I've always loved Elementals. Like IceMan - A being of pure ice with the power of fire.

Tokeloshe
2006-06-22, 05:06 AM
Sugar Man: Turns into pure sugar when wet.

Salt Woman: Also known as Lot's Wife.

Kool-Aid Kid: Has the strength of a thousand Internet trolls, and about the same level of intelligence. His powers come from drinking Kool-Aid.

Cassandra: Has the power of knowing the future, but nobody ever believes her.

SalSar_Thiran
2006-06-22, 10:07 PM
you mean my guy, Metamorph? or Average man?

i may post some more, if i get inspirated (getting addicted to One Piece, and it has some hillarius moments that may work as inspiration)

No he means the "Whats-His-Name", He is described on the first page.

Ing
2006-06-22, 10:27 PM
What's-His-Name: His super-power is that everyone forgets who he is. Whenever he shows up for a meeting, he has to re-introduce himself. Bad guys never always forget to set a trap for him when they attack the team. He hasn't recieved a birthday present since he was eleven and his power activated. The morning after is always really awkward.

what's-his-name would be the perfect spy...but of course he has to keep a video tape of every meeting so that the other heros don't kill him when he walks in and acts all familar. naturally any confusion that might (and will be) caused by this is blamed on Nemesis boy.

I got one, but i need a name for him.
his idea is that he's the poster boy for "the universe exists to hurt me". his back story contains a parady of every bad and tragic thing that has ever happened to a super hero. i need a name for him though...once i get that i will post his origin story for critique and hillarity

keep em comming

EDIT: interestingly there IS actually a comic character called "Sugar Man" he dosn't turn into sugar but he does kinda look like a coco puff (tm)

bluish_wolf
2006-06-23, 12:19 AM
It would be even better if what's-his-name chronically suffered from amnesia, so not even he knows who he is.

Beleriphon
2006-06-23, 09:51 AM
I have a new one.

Call Centre Guy. He constant hears voices in his head, but they're real. They're calls to tech support from thousands of call centres around the world. He has the answers, but he can't respond.

Tokeloshe
2006-06-23, 10:06 AM
Taxman and VATboy: The only two characters that Batman actually fears. They have a preternatural knowledge of international tax law and all of the loopholes available, but they work for the government. Weaknesses? Well how useful is knowing a whole bunch of tax law when fighting a evil genius bent on taking over the world?

Sneak
2006-06-23, 10:32 AM
A man who gets any good, non-sucky superpower (you can choose what the power is) from eating strawberries.

Don't you know it, he's allergic to strawberries.

dorsey
2006-06-23, 05:32 PM
I got one, but i need a name for him.
his idea is that he's the poster boy for "the universe exists to hurt me". his back story contains a parady of every bad and tragic thing that has ever happened to a super hero. i need a name for him though...once i get that i will post his origin story for critique and hillarity

Murphy. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphys_law

Ing
2006-06-23, 09:24 PM
Murphy...that is brilliant

need a super hero name

yet me give you his backstory

"he's an alien...his planet was destroyed in his infancy he was launched in a shuttle to earth...parents and family died, last of his kind. he was raised by 2 kindly farmer folk..they were shot dead by a mugger infront of a movie theater...he was sent to live with his aunt and uncle in new york. his uncle was killed by a burgler. then his aunt at a family reunion was gunned down by the mafia, killing all of his adopted family. around that time the gunmen kidnaped him and preformed henious experiments on him including replacing his bones with a spaceage plastic "just for ****s and giggles" he survived and ran away. things began to go well for him, he had a girl friend, and a best friend. his best friend was killed...brutally, beaten with a lead pipe by a nazi clown who was also the ambasador to kablepastan and therefore got away with it somehow. his girlfriend was killed by a supervillian by being thrown off a bridge...she came back to life as an evil entity, whom he had to kill. she came back agian, agian went evil, slaying..blah blah blah. they now have an on agian off agian relationship always ending because she's either evil or dead and reuinited when she inevitably resurects. his best friend was then resurected by said villian who killed his girlfriend the first time, brainwashed into being evil and then ODed and drugs and died. his hometown was then nuked by a crazed cyborg, killing everyone he knew and loved (includng his girlfriend...agian). and i think that brings us to the present, where he's a nervious wreck afraid to touch or even look at anyone in fear that they'll die horribly

(ok did i forget any tragic super hero stories to refrence in his? i need a superhero name for him but Murphy is definitly his real one)

ps: drew up Burnvictime man, Ugly gal, Nemesis boy, Visible man, and What's HIs name (or should it be WHats-ez-face?). they appar to be rough paradies of the human tourch, power girl, jimmy olson, and the Question respectivly....i'll post them sometime if anyone cares enough and if i'm not too lazy to use a scanner...needless to say they came out great and hillarious

dorsey
2006-06-24, 01:53 AM
"he's an alien...his planet was destroyed in his infancy he was launched in a shuttle to earth...parents and family died, last of his kind. he was raised by 2 kindly farmer folk..they were shot dead by a mugger infront of a movie theater...he was sent to live with his aunt and uncle in new york. his uncle was killed by a burgler. then his aunt at a family reunion was gunned down by the mafia, killing all of his adopted family. around that time the gunmen kidnaped him and preformed henious experiments on him including replacing his bones with a spaceage plastic "just for ****s and giggles" he survived and ran away. things began to go well for him, he had a girl friend, and a best friend. his best friend was killed...brutally, beaten with a lead pipe by a nazi clown who was also the ambasador to kablepastan and therefore got away with it somehow. his girlfriend was killed by a supervillian by being thrown off a bridge...she came back to life as an evil entity, whom he had to kill. she came back agian, agian went evil, slaying..blah blah blah. they now have an on agian off agian relationship always ending because she's either evil or dead and reuinited when she inevitably resurects. his best friend was then resurected by said villian who killed his girlfriend the first time, brainwashed into being evil and then ODed and drugs and died. his hometown was then nuked by a crazed cyborg, killing everyone he knew and loved (includng his girlfriend...agian). and i think that brings us to the present, where he's a nervious wreck afraid to touch or even look at anyone in fear that they'll die horribly

jeebus, talk about mental complexes.

I can think of some doozies, but they all revolve around a certain rhyme for "luck"...

How about the Mighty Misfortune Man?

Or the Setback Kid?

CelestialStick
2006-06-24, 02:23 AM
Taxman and VATboy: The only two characters that Batman actually fears. They have a preternatural knowledge of international tax law and all of the loopholes available, but they work for the government. Weaknesses? Well how useful is knowing a whole bunch of tax law when fighting a evil genius bent on taking over the world?
So far Captain America has been immune to the powers of VATboy but not, alas, to the Taxman.

Ing
2006-06-24, 01:20 PM
i don't get it...how is Cap immune from tax powers?

keep the sugestions comming

Steward
2006-06-24, 07:25 PM
Spider-Dude can change into a spider! But he can't change back...

Doctor Electricity can manipulate all electronic devices around her. Unfortunately, she's Amish.

Endogamous Larry is HIS OWN GRANDPA!

The Living Paradox is and is not.

and finally...

Crash Test Dummy cannot die. However, he is twice as susceptible to injury as anyone else. So you can throw him into the path of a buzz saw and he'll be sliced open but he'll still be alive (and in considerable pain).

Finwe
2006-06-24, 09:16 PM
I think that ugly girls costume should be normal cloths but she wears a paper bag over her head with 2 holes for eyes.

Nono, a tube-top and short shorts :P

Beleriphon
2006-06-24, 11:29 PM

Nietzschian Wonder should be this fellow's name. His super power is that the as things get worse for him he gets stronger, but his power that get stronger is to bring bad luck on himself. Thus things can only get worse, but for fun you need to make him a total optimist. His tag line should be "It could be worse" and it promptly gets worse.

Ing
2006-06-25, 01:39 PM
Niezche i like it. ok so far we have 4 potentially powerful yet still awkward heros and 2 that are seemingly useless to the untrained eye.

Heros

(useful)
Captian Burn Victim man
Niezch
Whatz-ez-face
Ugly Gal (sometimes goes by The Medusa)

(uesless...aka sidekicks)
Nemesis boy
the Visible man

any more sugestions? anything for villians?

Idiotbox90
2006-06-25, 01:52 PM
How visible is the Visible Man? Can he be seen if he hides behind a wall? Does clothing block his powers?

Ing
2006-06-25, 02:00 PM
he can be spoted almost instantly. ill give a run down of his powers

1) he has an aura that makes him glow brightly...even brighter in dark, enough to illuminate most around him and makes hidding behind things very hard
2) this aura allows anyone to spot him in the midst of a crowd or other semi-hidden event
3) through unknown mystical means everyone within 100 feet can automaticly see him...even if they are blind and cannot see anything else, they can still see where he is.
4) no stealth technology works on him. if he's in a stealth plane, he will come up on radar, though the plane will not.
5) he had to remove his personal web site because every search on every engine brought it up as the #1 result...regardless of what search was actually done.

Tomb_Raven
2006-06-25, 02:22 PM
Copy-Cat: can make loads of clones of himself ala mirror image however has an extreame fear of crowds.

or

Monologue Man: talks the bad guy to death by monologueing... :P tunr hte tables fight fire with fire but of course he always gives away t he groups weaknesses.

Raven

Theodoxus
2006-06-25, 02:36 PM
Cancre McBride - aka - Schadenfreude

Has the misfortune to misstep, stumble, stub his toe or somehow deal pain to himself in ordinary circumstances. This has the effect that everyone around him notices, and immediately begins laughing at him. No matter how serious the damage, no medical help ever arrives because even the medical staff can't stop laughing at his misfortune.

His power is so great that it can even cause a monologing villian to stop mid sentance and uncontrollably laugh at him.

For instance: Captain Burnvictim Man and Ugly Girl have been captured by Stupendous Dog, the arch villian pet of Overcautious Evil Spectator Kid. Just as Stupendous Dog is beginning his monolog about how he'll freeze CBM and get plastic surgery for UG, Schadenfreude walks in, banging his shin on the doorframe, tripping over his own feet and lands spread-eagle, in pain, next to CBM.

Stupendous Dog just starts rolling around laughing hysterically - completely forgetting the presence of the heros. This gives Schadenfreude the opportunity to collect himself, cut CBM and UG free (while managing to nearly slit his own wrists - sending more gales of laughter from Dog) and all three escape before SD manages to catch his breath.

Theo :)

Tokeloshe
2006-06-25, 02:43 PM
Superwhiner: Can leap over entire continents in a single bound, can catch a flying bullet and crush it into diamonds (thereby changing its chemical composition) and can run at the speed of sound. Only one problem, He can do all of that, but he spends so much time whining that he never actually does anything.

ElfLad
2006-06-25, 04:47 PM
Stupendous Dog gives me an idea. Have a sidekick pet that has genuine, nonsucky powers... but all controlled by a normal, instinct-controlled, animal mind.

Like a dog that can fly, but just uses it to chase birds or a super-strong cat that scratches the sofa out of existence.

gumkus
2006-06-25, 04:58 PM
The Shy Man – incredibly shy. The problem is – his penis is longer than his leg. Think about wearing jeans. That’s what makes him so evil. The ultimate villain. Chicks adore him (longer-than-his-leg!). He’s gay and he loves halflings.

Fat Chick – 300 kg, anorexic. Oh, and has giant boobs, great for smashing cans.

Elvis Girl – looks like him, sings like him, has his chest hair. A woman. Always pissed off – hates fans. And... “I’M NOT A MAN!”. Btw - looks great in tight, white pants.

***** Guy – Shy Man’s biggest enemy. Tall, handsome, strong, can fly but NEVER wears tights. You know – his the opposite. I mean – his short. Really. Extremely heterosexual. His favorite word is “boobs”. Always crashes into something because he was staring at a woman. Anyway – his too short to satisfy anyone, still a virgin.

The Half-Wingded Man – has only one wing. Doesn’t fly but comes in useful as an air conditioning... sometimes.

The BBC Guy – great suit, stupendous british accent. Knows all the news and can create a hologram next to his head showing what has recently happened. But exists only above his waist (there really is NOTHING under that shiny desk behind which the presenters sit (or stand – hard to tell due to the lack of butt)). One last thing – he always looks you in the eyes, taking only brief breaks to cast a glance on some papers he carries all the time.

The Diaper Man – has a huge peeing problem. But can drink a lot.

The Immortal Man – 400 years. Can’t even walk, practicly deaf and blind. Often used as a shield...

... stay tuned for...
... The Wig Man (with his electric power)...
... The Upside Down Babe (with a bra problem)...
... and more!

Idiotbox90
2006-06-25, 05:34 PM
That post both disgusted and inspired me.

Anorex: She's super thin. In a fight she is almost impossible to hit. When viewed from the proper angle, she can't be seen. Her catch-phrase is "I'm sooooo fat!"

Whirling Death: His power is that he can spin at incredibly high speeds. Sadly, he has motion sickness. His nickname is Hurling Death.

Lightning Rod: He has the power to call down a lightning bolt from the heavens whenever he says a word with the letter E. The electricity will not injure him, although it will cause tremendous pain. Those touching him will be affected by the lightning as well.The bolt will always find a way to hit him, even if he's inside, underground, or wearing a protective rubber suit. Speaking of protective rubber suits...

Trojan Man: He has the power to appear at just the right moment to hand out... well, you know.

Heavy-Weight: He appears normal, but is actually ways 25 tons. This weight does not affect his strength, but does make it so he can't sit in chairs, sleep in a bed, walk on most floors, or lean against a wall.

Nil_IQ
2006-06-25, 06:50 PM
I had to register just for this post :)

A lot of people have suggested someone with "invunerability with a catch" type powers. I'd like to take the opportunity to add myself to this group of people.

For a name i'd suggest something that gets across the message he isn't quite indestructable... but almost. Something like "Nigh-Invunerable man", "The Nearly Unstoppable force" e.t.c.

For actual powers I can think of two possibilities, I guess its up to you guys to decide which is funnier:

Invincibility with no complementary powers: Essentially he is invincible.... but that's it. He can't actually be killed, but he can still feel pain, be rendered unconcious e.t.c. Most often used as a human shield or diversion by his companions.

Invincibility with really common weakness: Superman's weakness is kryptonite. Achillies' weakness was his heal. What about a hero who's vunerability is being shot by a bullet made of.... lead? Or maybe only part of him is invincible? I like the idea of a hero who can take a nuclear explosion to the face, but is crippled by a kick to the crotch.

I also thought up "Disintegration man" whilst reading this thread. His power is to turn to dust. The only problem is he can't turn back unless someone adds water to him. Also, if not all of the dust can be gathered together he will be proportionally smaller when he reforms (or possibly with missing limbs if that would be more humorous). He is mainly used to infiltrate buildings by pouring him through the window or air vent (along with a pre-opened bottle of water), or spy on someone by hiding in their ashtray.

Let me know what you think.

CelestialStick
2006-06-25, 06:59 PM
It would be even better if what's-his-name chronically suffered from amnesia, so not even he knows who he is.

They already made that show--it's called John Doe. ;)

Edit: Oh, and it looks like they're remaking it too on ABC Family Channel, under the name of Kyle XY.

I had to register just for this post :)

A lot of people have suggested someone with "invunerability with a catch" type powers. I'd like to take the opportunity to add myself to this group of people.

Invincibility with really common weakness: Superman's weakness is kryptonite. Achillies' weakness was his heal. What about a hero who's vunerability is being shot by a bullet made of.... lead? Or maybe only part of him is invincible? I like the idea of a hero who can take a nuclear explosion to the face, but is crippled by a kick to the crotch.

They've sort of done this one already too, except that in addition to having a vulnerability to the common lead bullet, he's also vulnerable to everything else--it's Batman Mary Sue. ;)

dorsey
2006-06-25, 09:21 PM
I think I've got one.

The Fearless Not-Quite-Leader

Think of Sean Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as far as looks and charisma go. He's the guy that has the poise, attitude, etc. to be the "team leader" of whatever group of superheroes that he is associated with at the time. Unfortunately, he is nothing more than a common street bum who just has a knack - a "superpower", if you will - for talking big. He always comes up with some crazy plan - just crazy enough to work, mind you - that inspires those around him, but usually ends up killing half the team, crippling the other, and destroying whatever city/planet/alternate reality they are trying to protect. Upon being forcibly removed from the remnants of the team, he goes to the local corner store, buys a bottle of cheap vodka and waits for his next "assignment".

Also, while I am thinking of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, how about an Atlantean descendant who is allergic to water?

mikoto
2006-06-25, 09:25 PM
Lead-Man
He is made of lead but has no extra strength to compensate for the extra weight of the lead.

Ing
2006-06-25, 10:24 PM
I think I've got one.

The Fearless Not-Quite-Leader

Think of Sean Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as far as looks and charisma go. He's the guy that has the poise, attitude, etc. to be the "team leader" of whatever group of superheroes that he is associated with at the time. Unfortunately, he is nothing more than a common street bum who just has a knack - a "superpower", if you will - for talking big. He always comes up with some crazy plan - just crazy enough to work, mind you - that inspires those around him, but usually ends up killing half the team, crippling the other, and destroying whatever city/planet/alternate reality they are trying to protect. Upon being forcibly removed from the remnants of the team, he goes to the local corner store, buys a bottle of cheap vodka and waits for his next "assignment".

Also, while I am thinking of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, how about an Atlantean descendant who is allergic to water?

BRILLIANT...i can just imagin every panel on him he has a new supergroup, all the others having died or been maimed.

Idiotbox90
2006-06-25, 11:24 PM
Somehow, I can't help but feel the deaths of every team the Fearless Not-Quite-Leader lead were caused by Nemesis.

Theodoxus
2006-06-25, 11:34 PM
The Procrastinator!

Has all the classic superpowers: can fly, superstrong, some kind of ranged attack (eye beams, superbreath, whatever), is charismatic as all get out - but when a crisis comes on the scene, he's too busy to get to it.

"Help! GoblinExtreemo has set a nuclear bomb to go off in Megalotropica Prime!" Procrastinator, we neeeeed you!!!"

"I'll be there in a minute, little lady, just gotta finish reading this killer webcomic, and then get to the final level of Zelda... but right after that, I'll be there in a flash."

20 minutes later, all that's standing in the former city is a few toppled buildings and the Procrastinator, mad that his Nintendo got melted, but not so mad he'd actually hunt down the culprit.

Theo

Sign_of_Fourteen
2006-06-25, 11:49 PM
The Cynic

His power is simple - to always see the worst in everything. No matter what actually happens, the Cynic sees the worst possible outcome. This is coupled with a sort of 'bad luck field'.

In essence, whenver the Cynic does something, anything at all, it is doomed to go wrong. If it can go wrong, it will, and others are influenced to act in that way. For example, if the Cynic makes a mistake at work, his boss will be psychically influenced to take offense and punish him for it. It takes great strength of will to resist this sort of manipulation.

However, the Cynic may transfer his bad luck to someone else with a touch. Through physical contact, he may imbue another person with his bad luck field, which also grants the Cynic respite - he doesn't suffer from his power as long as someone else has it. Unfortunately, the swap wears off after one hour, the bad luck always returning to the Cynic.

So, hopefully that works. It has a use, it's just incredibly irritating to have. On reflection, I guess it's kind of like Murphy, but he can transfer his misfortune to others!

I also had an idea for someone who gives off and attracts deadly radiation, but can't control it... the idea was that the character would be a socialite, but I rejected that one as too obvious.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-26, 02:59 AM
The Procrastinator!
Has all the classic superpowers: can fly, superstrong, some kind of ranged attack (eye beams, superbreath, whatever), is charismatic as all get out - but when a crisis comes on the scene, he's too busy to get to it.
This was actually the plot of a sketch on The Amanda Show, with Amanda Bynes as a female superhero pretty much exactly as you decribed.

The Cynic's powers sound similar to Black Cat's ability to affect probability curves in the Spiderman comics.

Crack Whore. A sexy supervillianess who has the uncanny ability to seduce her enemies and sleep with them...thus giving them a strange mutant strain of v.d. (which she is immune to) that causes their bodies to develop cracks and their extremities and eventually entire limbs to fall off.

Ing
2006-06-26, 03:13 PM
Somehow, I can't help but feel the deaths of every team the Fearless Not-Quite-Leader lead were caused by Nemesis.

regardless of his actual fault...he will be blamed for it

Crack Whore. A sexy supervillianess who has the uncanny ability to seduce her enemies and sleep with them...thus giving them a strange mutant strain of v.d. (which she is immune to) that causes their bodies to develop cracks and their extremities and eventually entire limbs to fall off.

that's a keeper...least for a one shot gag vilian

wow somes of these sugestions are....disgusting...and not in a good way. i'm looking for super powers that seem like the might be useful but have a kinda-obvious or hidden down side. example pyromania is good..unless your not fire proof
petrification is good...but your face is ugly as hell
aninimity is good...but sucks that you are always alone

somes are just jokes though but keep the sugestions comming.

some vilians

the Monologue = evil genius...noted for never speaking to anyone directly, always does an aside or monologue. example:

minion: sir, intruders in the base, your orders?
Big M: "...he asked of me. i pondered this for a second, how would i react, how indeed. what would be the proper course of action, how best should i crush these pesky gnats..."
Minion: oh for christs sake....sir, they're moving quickly...sir?
Big M "...i made my decision, death would be too good for them, by the time i was done they'd beg me for death "take them alive" i ordered, "i want to see them broken and beg at my feat. bring them to me!"

new problem is that i like Whatz-ez-face's costume so much it seems cruel to keep him to a joke comic. CURSES

Idiotbox90
2006-06-26, 03:20 PM
Enhanced senses is always an easily exploitable power. You can see in the dark, but you get blinded in sunlight. You can hear someone coming from a quarter of a mile, but god help you if a baby starts cying five feet away. You can sense someone from a distance by touch, but you're screwed if they touch you. Just take Mr. Sensitive from X-Statix and remove the suit.

ElfLad
2006-06-27, 12:58 AM
LaserEyes: He can shoot lasers from his eyes! And they always ruin his #$%^ing contact lenses.

dorsey
2006-06-27, 01:46 AM
LaserEyes: He can shoot lasers from his eyes! And they always ruin his #$%^ing contact lenses.

No coincidence that he has 20/4000 vision, so when those contacts are gone... blind as a Batman.

Ing
2006-06-28, 01:45 PM
so...cyclops? minus the fancy visor?

ElfLad
2006-06-28, 01:50 PM
And he's practically blind, unlike Cyclops.

More like Superman's heatvision, but he actually needs the glasses.

Runolfr
2006-06-28, 01:53 PM
The Brewster Rockit comic (http://www.comicspage.com/comicspage/main.jsp?catid=1876&custid=69&file=20060626csbre-a-p.jpg&code=csbre&dir=/brewster) just started a series of pertinent strips this week.

Ing
2006-06-29, 01:26 PM
yes but its...kinda diffrent...i can't say how though

uranium194
2006-06-29, 01:40 PM
Possible villian

Cant keep a Secret Man: Everytime he commits a crime he has to go and tell someone or people about it.

Ing
2006-06-29, 01:55 PM
AKA the riddler

ElfLad
2006-06-29, 02:05 PM
The Fly! He can fly through the air! About as fast as he can walk.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-06-29, 02:53 PM
The Cynic

His power is simple - to always see the worst in everything. No matter what actually happens, the Cynic sees the worst possible outcome. This is coupled with a sort of 'bad luck field'.

In essence, whenver the Cynic does something, anything at all, it is doomed to go wrong. If it can go wrong, it will, and others are influenced to act in that way. For example, if the Cynic makes a mistake at work, his boss will be psychically influenced to take offense and punish him for it. It takes great strength of will to resist this sort of manipulation.

However, the Cynic may transfer his bad luck to someone else with a touch. Through physical contact, he may imbue another person with his bad luck field, which also grants the Cynic respite - he doesn't suffer from his power as long as someone else has it. Unfortunately, the swap wears off after one hour, the bad luck always returning to the Cynic.

So, hopefully that works. It has a use, it's just incredibly irritating to have. On reflection, I guess it's kind of like Murphy, but he can transfer his misfortune to others!

My idea on a similar theme was someone who could predict the future with accuracy directly opposite to his self confidence. When he got things right he'd start thinking he had powers then his powers would decrease and he's be wrong again so he would get depressed and his power would increase.

Tokeloshe
2006-07-01, 09:38 AM
The Paladin: He is the ultimate knight, a champion of chivalry, a knight who was brought from a mythic realm by accident complete with all of the powers generally reserved for high level paladins.

Unfortunately, shortly after entering this world he used detect evil. Needless to say, he didn't see too many people who didn't glow red. Smite evil is really quite effective if what you define as being evil, is more or less current day society.

Friendly_Nut
2006-07-01, 11:33 AM
Hi!
I registered just to post here, too. This thread is hillarious.

So, how about the crazy inventor (or mad scientist)?
He invents all kinds of useful things for the super hero party (like q did for 007 in the bond movies), but he's so paranoid that he builds in horrific booby traps. Or he's not paranoid but really forgetful, so he can't remember what the gizmos do and the heroes have to try it, to find out. ;D

My other idea at this time is a psyciatrist, who can instantly make anyone he touches sane, but he gets whatever mental illness he removes from the patient/villian.

I'm sure I will give this topic some more thought in the next few days, maybe a stirke of genious will hit me and I can post other ideas.

Xenuite
2006-07-02, 06:05 AM
I can't remember where I read about him, but he was in a series of books geared towards young teens. I don't even remember his name, only that he was kind of a villain.

But the gist of his power was he had extremely bad luck, on an epic scale. Like, when his power first manifested, a helicopter flew into his office building, killing nearly everyone there.

His secondary power: He's completely invulnerable.

So planes are literallly falling out of the sky just to hit this guy, and he's completely immune to any damage it causes.

If I had to name him now I'd call him "Collateral Damage Man"

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-02, 10:38 AM
How about "Dis-illusioned Emo-man". He's super strong but has decided that there's no real point anymore and the world doesn't like him saving it anyway.

Or Captain UN, he was created by a multinational super soldier project but the villians always win before the UN gets through the deliberations required to send him on a mission. They haven't even agreed on what colour to make his costume.

Indecisive man, has a massive variety of powers and has amazing intelligence at coming up with stratergies but can't decide what his super hero name should be or what costume to wear or which of his powers to use at which time.

Tokeloshe
2006-07-02, 11:44 AM
Mighty Right: He is always, always, absolutely convinced on what he is saying. He is also always, always wrong. How he has survived this far is a mystery.

His uniform is a contrast of horrible shades of orange and pink, his symbol is a pink triangle, and he is straight, though claims to be a lesbian.

He also, not only wears his shoes on the wrong feet, he has also somehow managed to put them on inside out.

Beleriphon
2006-07-02, 11:50 AM
The Dungeonmaster!

The guy has the powers of a real dungeonmaster from D&D. That is that he can change the world on a whim, but its all determined by the roll of the dice. So if he's hanging around with one of the other guys that makes bad luck occur...

beholder
2006-08-01, 03:11 PM
I always thought Edward Scissorhands was a misfit superhero of sorts--he has giant blades for hands, for the love of all that's holy. How does he...umm...how to put this delicately...spank his monkey or wipe his butt?

He doesnt have a pet monkey, and not all of us beleive in animal cruelty!

Toolverine:scredrvers,hammers, and spirit levels spring out of his knuckles

Beleriphon
2006-08-02, 11:20 PM
I was thinking: The Pink Elephant, you know like the phrase. As in he has the power to make everbody actively make people ignore his presense. All the time. They all know that he's there, but will not acknowledge of that fact he's there, even though he's wearing a gaint plush elephant costume.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-08-03, 03:48 AM
I was thinking: The Pink Elephant, you know like the phrase....They all know that he's there, but will not acknowledge of that fact he's there, even though he's wearing a gaint plush elephant costume.
No, no, you're thinking of "the elephant in the room". Pink elephants are a reference to the hallucinations alcoholics experience (the DTs). Winos walk by Pink Elephant on the street, see him, toss away their hootch bottles, and walk away whistling innocently (a classic gag in the old Warners cartoons).

He doesnt have a pet monkey, and not all of us beleive in animal cruelty!
Um...either this is a humorously ironic joke, or someone doesn't quite understand slang. "Spanking the monkey" is a common euphamism for autoerotiscism. You know, what Pee-Wee Herman was arrested for about 15 years ago in a movie house.... :-[

Dhavaer
2006-08-03, 05:51 AM
If I had to name him now I'd call him "Collateral Damage Man"

Hey! I stole that name from someone first! I'm reasonably certain I was the first person to use it here, anyway. My Collateral Damage Man also had two powers:

1: Complete and Total Invulnerability.

2: The ability to destroy everything in a 500m radius around himself. Not anything, everything.

Ground Zero Man would also be a respectable name for him.

Beleriphon
2006-08-03, 06:26 PM
No, no, you're thinking of "the elephant in the room". Pink elephants are a reference to the hallucinations alcoholics experience (the DTs). Winos walk by Pink Elephant on the street, see him, toss away their hootch bottles, and walk away whistling innocently (a classic gag in the old Warners cartoons).

I know that it was originally used for hallucinations that drunks experiences, but it the phrase is often used in conjunction with "the elephant in the room". Besides its funnier if he's pink, rather than just being an elephant.

Extra_Crispy
2006-08-05, 02:10 AM
Hay I resemble burn victum man ;D. You should name him Extra Crispy ;)

Heres one Kinetic strobe
Can stop all motion in an area but has no control over it and it turns on and off ever second.

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-05, 10:23 AM
[quote author=Emperor_Demonking link=board=comicbooks;num=1154060860;start=0#8 date=06/21/06 at 15:43:33]A man who can instantly kill all those, he can see. Problem is he's blind.
quote]

Wouldn't he kill The Visible Man.

The Glyphstone
2006-08-06, 02:21 PM
Indefinite Man! He's faster than...something fast. Stronger than...something strong. And able to leap over...something tall...in a low number of bounds.

Basically, no one knows exactly what he's capable of - even himself. He can be incredibly powerful, or utterly useless, with no real way to predict which it'll be - could change day-to-day.

Alternative names: RandoMan or Unreliable Man.

Artisan
2006-08-07, 04:35 AM
Copyright Infringment Man!: With the power of...hey, wait. Where are you taking me? I want my lawyer!

Self-Referential Man: With the power to break the 4th wall!

Gecko Man! Gecko Man!
Does everything what a gecko can!
Sticks to walls! Eats fruit flies!
To keep them moist he licks his eyes!
Eeeew! Do you have to gecko man?

Gecko Man! Gecko Man!
Friendly neighbourhood Gecko Man!
Can he stick to a roof?
Check him out! There's your proof!
Far out! Keep sticking Gecko Man!

Adapted to survive
In all enviroments
They are known to thrive
On every continent
(except Antarica)

Gecko Man! Gecko Man!
Sounds like here's an echo, man!
Swiftly defeats every foe!
They're no match for his adhesive toes!
Fear not! It's just the Gecko Man!

(Gecko Man!
Gecko Man!
Gecko MAAAAAAAAN)

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-08-09, 02:09 AM
He also makes a couple bucks on the side shilling for Geico. ;D

Why am I suddenly reminded of the episode of The Emporer's New School where Kuzco was turned into a red-eyed tree frog by Yzma and decided to become the Incan world's first amphibious superhero?

There was also a character called Mondo Gecko in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comic books published by Archie Comics--a skateboarding, headbanging teenage mutant lizard.

Anna Graham. Obsessed with wordplay, she leaves clues to her upcoming crimes in the forms of anagrams. Edward Nygma's third cousin, twice removed.

Eddie Krueger. Freddy's geeky 98-lb. weakling son, who is a serial killer like his old man--but not particularly good at it. His victims usually overpower him and kick his butt. Once he tried to kill a hooker outside of Reno, Nevada, who ended up pulling a switchblade on him, stealing his wallet, and leaving him locked in the trunk of his Pontiac Sunbird for three days. Wears thick glasses and has a severe lisp.

Ing
2006-08-10, 12:58 PM
He also makes a couple bucks on the side shilling for Geico. ;D

Why am I suddenly reminded of the episode of The Emporer's New School where Kuzco was turned into a red-eyed tree frog by Yzma and decided to become the Incan world's first amphibious superhero?

There was also a character called Mondo Gecko in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comic books published by Archie Comics--a skateboarding, headbanging teenage mutant lizard.

Anna Graham. Obsessed with wordplay, she leaves clues to her upcoming crimes in the forms of anagrams. Edward Nygma's third cousin, twice removed.

Eddie Krueger. Freddy's geeky 98-lb. weakling son, who is a serial killer like his old man--but not particularly good at it. His victims usually overpower him and kick his butt. Once he tried to kill a hooker outside of Reno, Nevada, who ended up pulling a switchblade on him, stealing his wallet, and leaving him locked in the trunk of his Pontiac Sunbird for three days. Wears thick glasses and has a severe lisp.

Actually Eddie's apperances pretty much matches the unvanquished Zodiac killer.

ravenkith
2006-08-17, 05:41 PM
Now here's an idea that I came up with independently for a Marvel superheroes game a very long time ago:

Captain Expendable:
Powers: Regeneration (up to and including from the dead) Heightened Senses (Touch).

Since the original game had you roll up your powers, this combination was pretty amusing, and fun to play.

Other Character: Get out there and fight him, dammit!
CE: NO! It hurts! A lot!
OH: But you can't die!
CE: I said no!
OH grabs him and throws him at the bad guy.
OH: I don't care; as long as he's hitting you, he isn't killing one of us.

Of course, the best would be to combine Captain Expendable and Nemesis boy into one hero, called Captain Expendable, or may Weeble, if you don't like CE.

His empathy powers cause people's disposition towards him to decrease two steps, so the villains absolutely hate him, to the point where they have to attack him, and can't stop physically hitting him til he's dead (at which point he regenerates), normal people will spit on him or throw a kick or beer bottle in his direction, and the other heroes just generally disrespect him.

CE: Oh no! A grenade!
OH throws CE on the grenade, it explodes wounding him, and causing him twice as much pain as it would a normal human. "About time you did something useful,"

He should always wear a red shirt and black pants. He was Polish.

I actually had a character in the stupor heroes game system who could (and did) mate and reproduce with inanimate objects, causing them to come to life. Unfortunately, they were always insanely jealous about him, and were dependent on him for their newfound life...had to have it at least 1 every 24 hours.

He started out with washing machines, but eventually, during a battle with a giant space monster, he got with the Empire state building, who basically ended up running the character from then on...(I retired him, cos it was beyond ridiculous).

A friend of mine had a gigantic Pogo penis (a real power from the actual game) and heightened sensitivity (not bad, just increased a little),...was actually a female character...

Not a problem when pogo penis wasn't on...but when it was...OW!

Was called Shemale....

The last guy was called Chartreuse Arkansas. I forget what his powers were - they were pretty tame in comparison. Something about pissing Sam Adams...(honestly...who's going to drink it? not me...the beer is **** to start with)

Ing
2006-08-18, 01:05 AM
Sam Adams...always a good choice