PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed tactical feats [3.5]

Lateral
2010-05-11, 07:30 PM
Okay, so one of my favorite types of feats are tactical feats- feats that have more than one thing you do with them. Unlike, say, Cleave, which does just its one trick, tactical feats have three related 'maneuvers' that each do a specific thing. Here's a list of a whole bunch of tactical feats:

http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf

Pages 168-171

Anyway, I had some time on my hands so I decided to make a few. More coming and ideas appreciated. Also, PEACH for balance.

Arrow Springer
Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Shot on the Run, Weapon Focus (Bow [any]), Tumble and Jump 5 ranks.

You may use the following 3 tactical maneuvers:

Arrow Wind- As a swift action once/round, you may fire one arrow at BAB without provoking an AoO. This may only be used in a round in which you make no non-AoO attacks.

Rolling Spring- Whenever you succeed all Tumble checks you make to move without provoking opportunity attacks, you may make a jump check as a standard action vs. DC 15 at the end of that move. On a success, you jump straight up 5 feet in the air and make an opportunity attack with your bow at -2 BAB at all targets that you made a check against. This counts against your AoO's for the round.

Up Where the Sun Don't Shine- Whenever you succeed on a Tumble check to go through someone's square, you may make a non-opportunity-provoking opportunity attack at -2 BAB against the foe. If you do, you must succeed on a Jump check (DC 20) or you stop moving and fall prone in a square adjacent to the target (their choice). This AoO does count against your AoO's that round. If the attack hits, the target is nauseated for 1d3+1 rounds, then sickened for 1d3+1 rounds (Fort negates nausea but not sickness; DC= 10+1/2 HD+Dex mod).
Hammer Crusher
Prerequisites: Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Specialization (warhammer), Strength 18, BAB +11

You may use the following 3 tactical maneuvers:

Maul Hailstorm- Whenever you make a Full Attack while wielding two warhammers, you may take a -2 to any of the attack rolls. If an attack with the penalty hits, the target is pushed 5 feet and you may move into the square they once occupied (if you don't, the attack ends there).

Hammer Fury- As a full-round action, you may make one attack at a -4 penalty. If that attack hits, make a second attack at full BAB- if that hits, they take 1/2 damage, are pushed 15 feet, and fall prone.

Variable-Speed Corn Muffins! Peanut Butter Fish Filets!- As a full-round action, you may make an attack at a -5 penalty. If it hits, the target takes no damage, but is confused for 1d3 rounds and then staggered for 1d4 rounds after the confusion (Will save for confusion, Fort save for stagger; DC= 10+1/2 HD+strength mod).
Currently working on a monster one based on Multiweapon Fighting, and another one involving tower shields. Please tell me what you think, help with balance, and donate ideas. Thanks!

Pechvarry
2010-05-11, 10:07 PM
Arrow Wind- As a swift action once/round, you may fire one arrow at BAB without provoking an AoO.

Does this grant an additional attack? Or are you spending a swift action to denote a single attack to not provoke AoO? It looks like it's saying spend a swift action to get an extra attack at full BAB, which is worth a feat by itself.

Rolling Spring- Whenever you succeed all Tumble checks you make to move without provoking opportunity attacks, you may make a jump check vs. DC 15 at the end of that move. On a success, you jump straight up 5 feet in the air and make an opportunity attack with your bow at -2 BAB at all targets that you made a check against. This does not count against your AoO's for the round.

I don't like the last line. Not only is this a feat that relies on combat reflexes, it's a very potent ability. This has the potential to be a LOT of free attacks. And you'd still have your standard action for sayyyyy Greater Manyshot. Having it cost AoOs is a small cost, and at least creates tension with the 3rd ability.

Up Where the Sun Don't Shine- Whenever you succeed on a Tumble check to go through someone's square, you may make a non-opportunity-provoking opportunity attack at -2 BAB against the foe. If you do, you must succeed on a Jump check (DC 15) or you stop moving and fall prone in a square adjacent to the target (their choice). This AoO does count against your AoO's that round. If the attack hits, the target falls prone and is stunned for 1 round, then sickened for 1d6+1 rounds (Fort negates, make 2 saves; on successes, you still fall prone).

you shoot them with an arrow and they auto-fall down? I know melee never get nice things and all, but this seems a bit much. Especially if your group doesn't use any rules for scaling tumble DCs (it's easy to make the 25 needed to pull this maneuver off). Any one of the negative effects is enough power for this feat (when you consider there are 2 other good uses), and that's assuming there's a save. I'd go with Nausea + 1d6 rounds of sickened. Save to negate nausea but sickened regardless. That should be enough to convey the "i've been nut-shot" feeling. Also, what's the DC based on? I'd suggest (DC 10 + half HD + dex mod).

Maul Hailstorm- Whenever you make a Full Attack while wielding two warhammers, you may take a -2 to any of the attack rolls. If an attack with the penalty hits, the target is pushed 5 feet and you may move into the square they once occupied (if you don't, the attack ends there).

Hammer Fury- As a full-round action, you may make one attack at a -4 penalty. If that attack hits, make a second attack at full BAB- if that hits, they take 1/2 damage, are pushed 15 feet, and fall prone.

Cool. I'd say something about auto-prone again, but I feel you have a high opportunity cost in this 2nd ability. And the 1st ability is basically knockback. All seems well to me.

Variable-Speed Corn Muffins! Peanut Butter Fish Filets!- As a full-round action, you may make an attack at a -5 penalty. If it hits, the target takes no damage, but is deafened for 1d10 minutes, confused for one round, and dazed for 1d6 rounds AFTER the confusion ends. (Will save for confusion, Fort saves both the others.

Awesome name. Daze for 1d6 rounds is horribly potent for an at-will. The rest, I don't mind. I'd consider simplifying and taking out as many saves as possible. You don't really want your DM having to make 3 saves every time you act. Fort save for deafened; Will save for confuse and if they're confused, they get dazed for the following round. Or just remove the Daze component and make the confuse 1d3 rounds. For some reason, 1d4 feels too high but that's up to you. Anyway, 1 attack roll and 2 forced saves is plenty. Additionally, you need to define what the DC is based off of again. Probably (10+half HD+str mod).

Lateral
2010-05-12, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the input! First off: Arrow wind does grant an extra attack, but you're right, it's probably too strong for a 3-part feat. Maybe, "you may only do this in a round where you do not use any other non-AoO attacks"?

Rolling Spring was supposed to cost a standard action, lemme just change that. Also, ok. I'll make it so they count as AoO's.

About Nut-shot: Ok, you're right. It's not melee, really, it's point-blank shooting, but still. I'll tone it down a little, I just wanted to really convey that "GAH! MY NUTS!" kinda feeling with it.

Thanks again!