PDA

View Full Version : eee PC Netbook Tech Help?

Liriel
2010-05-11, 07:53 PM
We got an eee pc netbook running win xp stuck in a reboot loop. No new installs.

Basically, I went to turn it on to check something and boom...the lovely black screen of start in safe mode...last known config...normally.

None of the options work.

Asks me what boot option and all do the same, win splash loading screen, blue screen return to options.

eee PC Netbooks don't have any disk drive to do a reloading.

Any good techies out there who can lend a hand?

Our D&D campaign is tomorrow! The netbooks are a godsend to it!

Crimmy
2010-05-11, 08:01 PM
It's precisely what happened to my PC, 'xcept it was not a Netbook, but a desktop.

Now, as for the solution, you can always try backup of your files via enslaving your HD to another PC, and then taking everything you want out of it.

However, given the fact that you cannot simply tear open said netbook, I can only suggest repairing via the original installation disk for your version of XP.

Liriel
2010-05-11, 08:38 PM
Yeah...I was afraid of that what with the whole no disk drive problem. :smalleek:

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-12, 12:42 AM
First, most computer manufacturers these days build their systems with a recovery partition. There should be a way to get your netbook to boot to an option to restore it to factory settings. (You WILL lose data if you do this, but if you're dead in the water anyway, working and no data is better than not working and no data, right?) You may have to check your literature to find out how to do this.

Otherwise, a quick google search on "reinstall the OS on a eee netbook" turns up several user forums describing how to make bootable recovery thumb drives*. Hopefully you have a desktop available that you can use to facilitate this.

*Specifically, this thread (http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=69238), posts #4 and #5 seemed to be pretty helpful to the OP.

Liriel
2010-05-12, 05:01 PM
Thanks, will give that a whirl and see if it helps!

KilltheToy
2010-05-12, 07:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, what model is your Eee PC? Mine is sort of important to me, so I'd enjoy knowing what kind you have so that if we happen to have the same kind I'll have this thread to tell me what to do should the same thing happen to me.

Syka
2010-05-12, 07:26 PM
My Toshiba has no disk drive so I just picked up an external disk drive, about 60+ dollars, and it was very worth it. You could probably borrow one from someone or pick one up and recover that way. They just use a USB drive and (technically) don't need to have software predownloaded.

Recovery partitions also work well, although (as stated) you lose all non-backed up data.

Liriel
2010-05-13, 02:19 AM
Just out of curiosity, what model is your Eee PC? Mine is sort of important to me, so I'd enjoy knowing what kind you have so that if we happen to have the same kind I'll have this thread to tell me what to do should the same thing happen to me.

1000HD Eee PC