PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to make an App

Jokasti
2010-05-11, 10:28 PM
So me and a few buddies have some extra time over the summer, so we decided to make an App company. We haven't even decided on a name yet- I like Artifact, another likes Graphite, and the third is deadset on Nose Computers (we nose computers being our slogan). We are tossing a few other ideas around but aren't set. So we had another issue: iPhone or Droid? I have an iPhone and love it, but believe the Droid to be better. We are leaning toward Droid right now because it is written in Java which two of us 'know', while Apples are in Obj-C. We are also throwing around some ideas, for example: a Loot Wars-esque game, a pseudo Pokemon fossil digging and traing and fighting game, and a strategy gamethat combines elements of Risk and Rome Total War. So here is what I ask the good people of GiantitP:
~What would a good company name be?
~Any app ideas?
Also, just tonight I got a book on programming for the Droid, will crack it open tomorrow.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-11, 10:34 PM
A dice roller app?

I like Artifact. Sounds cool to me.

Lycan 01
2010-05-11, 10:53 PM
I like Artifact. Its a cool and mysterious-sounding name. What about Archeotech? :smallbiggrin:

A dice roller app would be sweet. You can never have too many of those... A DM's Toolbox would be cool, too, with a DC calculator and stuff...

drakir_nosslin
2010-05-12, 12:41 AM
Give the android OS some loooove! And Artifact sounds sweet :smallbiggrin:

RS14
2010-05-12, 12:45 AM
A dice roller app?

I bet there are millions of these.

A character sheet app. (Which probably exists. Make it better than whatever is out there).

Set it up to use existing character sheet hosts, but parse it specially, and in really nice ways. Have several small pages with certain different things on them, e.g. a page for attacks, a page for defenses, etc. Have a built in dice-roller. Make it easy for a DM to switch between as many sheets as he wants. Use srd data to allow on-the fly generation and scaling of monster data sheets easily, with a few nice customizations. Let the DM add templates to the customizations, or host files describing these templates online.

Paper is entrenched. It will really need to be a killer app to beat paper character sheets.

-*-

A totally different idea--a *simple* but deep *tactical* Turn-based strategy game. The sort of thing that gets people addicted, so they play a turn in free time. Include some option for matchmaking with people within a small radius (is this possible?). Simple, easy to see graphics.

Soterion
2010-05-12, 01:14 AM
Artifapp. No, wait, that sounds wrong...

MCerberus
2010-05-12, 01:45 AM
Campaign manager app. Allow the user to enter in the PCs character sheets, keep track of loot, write down notes, even have an NPC corner.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-05-12, 01:52 AM
"Artifact Applications" has a nigh-flawless ring to it.

Lycan 01
2010-05-12, 02:16 AM
Heiroglyphics! :smallbiggrin:

Artifact can be the name, and you can make an app that has an Egyptian alphabet thing, so people can look up Heiroglyphics and stuff! See how that fits? Seriously, haven't you ever just wanted to write something down in funny symbols and stuff? :smalltongue:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-05-12, 02:58 AM
Artifact is much, much cooler than any other name you can come up with. Except Frangelico. Frangelico is cooler than anything that's not Frangelico. But that may just be the Frangelico in me talking.

Anyways... Think about what apps you want to make first. Only then decide on a platform, so it suits your target market. Many more people have an iPhone. Many more mainstream people have an iPhone. Droid is mostly used by tech geeks, or at least that was the impression I got from maybe 5 Droids I've seen around these parts. One in four has an iPhone. As in, one in four in the general population.

lesser_minion
2010-05-12, 06:28 AM
You might want to look at ObjC and Java and see which one you like better.

I'd like Objective-C more, since it's quite easy to learn the basics as long as you don't mind C. However, on Windows it's an unbearable pain to work with, and it isn't much easier on Linux.

It also takes a very different direction to Java, which might be an issue if most of you are already familiar with it.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-12, 08:39 AM
Doesn't Apple hate everyone who makes apps independently?
Make them for the Droid. 'cause then I can use them. :smalltongue:

EpicLvlKitteh
2010-05-12, 10:18 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. iPhone isn't a bad little device, but having the Droid does make things complicated when finding apps. :/

lesser_minion
2010-05-12, 12:23 PM

It's not so much hate as restrictions and paranoia. If it duplicates core functions, it's out. If it executes code downloaded elsewhere, it's out. If it runs into any legal trouble whatsoever, it's out. If testing finds a single issue, it's out.

In some ways it could be justified. In others, not so much. They seem to be getting better at it at least.

valadil
2010-05-12, 12:27 PM
Do you all have apples to run xcode? No? Then droid it is.

I vote nose computers. It's quirky enough to be memorable.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-12, 12:27 PM
Name idea: Technopaths (not great I know, but I such at names). Otherwise Artifact.

App ideas (all of which may exist): TV Remote, one that makes the Zubat sound to see how many nearby nerds freak out, some kind of voice-based language translator.

Jokasti
2010-05-12, 07:28 PM
Wow, this got a lot more responses than I thought it would in this timeframe, awesome! One of the guys reminded me of another few names we had that slipped my mind- Sparkify and BulletProof Productions. So, thanks for all the answers and let's see if I can respond to everyone:
Kyuubi: There are never too many dice rollers. Shouldn't be too hard to make.
Lycan 01: A DM's toolbox would also be cool, but
the other two guys haven't even heard of DnD. I'll just have to educate them. I'm thinking about making the dice roller part of the toolbox. And Heiroglyphics sounds cool too.
RS14: a character sheet, an SRD refernence, and a random encounter generator? All of those could go into the Toolbox. Also, if you have an iTouch, look up Strategery. Great app, like a simplified Risk, and colorful. We were thinking of making a minigame in the War game like this.
Soterion: I lol'd :smallbiggrin:
MCerberus: Also going in the Toolbox.
DJA: We are thinking of translating it to the iPlatform after we've built up a solid base in the Droid market.
LesserMinion: All of us prefer Java, but wouldn't mind getting used to ObjC as a secondary language eventually.
MS and ELK: Hate is a strong word here... I just think they prefer otherwise.
Valadil: all of us are PCs (except for my hippie sister but she doesn't share) I got a Mac Mini a few years back and couldn't get used to it. I probably still have it somewhere but have no idea where it is...And Zach was very happy to get one vote for the Nose.
KB: A remote, a noise maker and a translator? Sounds like a job for the Pomegranate.
On names: Archeotech and Technopaths are both cool and going on the list. Sorry, Frangelico.

Platinum Mongoose: I like it too!
Whew! Once again thanks for all the responses, and more app/name ideas are always awesoem.

RandomNPC
2010-05-12, 07:55 PM
you could always go back a step and instead of getting a catchy or trendy name, call the company "Trendy App. Creators" or some such. If you've ever read JTHM you'll see many examples of what I'm talking about. "Band Logo" "Trendy Clothes" and the like.

as for apps, um.... see a need fill a need?

hey! thats your new name! Filled Need. or Seen Need Filled. Need Fillers?...

nevermind, I cant make it sound not dirty.

Erothayce
2010-05-13, 01:39 AM
Go with Android so I can use whatever cool apps you guys come out with. :smallbiggrin: