PDA

View Full Version : opinions wanted

Angrist
2010-05-11, 10:37 PM
I am trying to make a homebrew PrC, it' a five level class for artificers called a Necroficer that allows them to cast infusions on undead. I'm worried that it might be a little too powerful, what do you think?

hit die: d4
skill points 2+int

1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Create Undead, cast infusions on undead
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 + 1 level of infusion class
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 + 1 level of infusion class
4th +2 +1 +1 +4 + 1 level of infusion class
5th +2 +1 +1 +4 Animate dead

naturally you would have to change some construct based infusions to new undead based infusions, like repair damage toughen undead.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-11, 11:15 PM
I am trying to make a homebrew PrC, it' a five level class for artificers called a Necroficer that allows them to cast infusions on undead. I'm worried that it might be a little too powerful, what do you think?

hit die: d4
skill points 2+int

1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Create Undead, cast infusions on undead
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 + 1 level of infusion class
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 + 1 level of infusion class
4th +2 +1 +1 +4 + 1 level of infusion class
5th +2 +1 +1 +4 Animate dead

naturally you would have to change some construct based infusions to new undead based infusions, like repair damage toughen undead.Depends on what 'create undead' and 'animate dead' actually do. That, and if 'cast infusions on undead' just works like using them on constructs.

Doesn't seem too powerful if those class abilities aren't overpowered. After all, you lose a lot of feats in those 5 levels.

IonDragon
2010-05-12, 01:17 AM
Probably belongs on the home brew board, no?

Pluto
2010-05-12, 01:54 AM
I don't get it. Specifically, I don't get levels 2-4.
But the part where the capstone is a spell you can already use at ECL 6 is a bit confusing, too.

I'm trying to think of a way that affecting undead would make an artificer somehow more powerful and I've... I've got nothing.

Can't you already cast onto their tattered rags of clothes? What's changing here? Why would you give 2 levels, 5 HP, 10 skill points and a bunch of exp for it?

edit:
If you wanted to just replace every instance of the noun "construct" from the artificer class with the word "undead," I don't think anything meaningful would change. I'd do that instead of using a PrC -- less of an awkward transition of themes, that way. And there's no reason to burn levels on a class if you don't have any idea of class features you want to use for it.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-12, 09:34 AM
A lot of work will have to go into making this a worthwhile PrC for an artificer.

However, you may want to turn this into an alternative class feature, instead (being able to create undead instead of constructs [custom templates you can use?], and granting the ability to affect incorporeals normally), if only because you'll end up with something like the planar shepherd otherwise.

onthetown
2010-05-12, 09:38 AM
You could add the +1 for the levels that don't have unique class abilities, but why not add the +1 to all the levels and come up with unique class abilities? Maybe work their way up to being able to cast infusions on all undead. Start with skellies, zombies, etc and at the last level be able to cast on liches or something.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-12, 09:55 AM
You could add the +1 for the levels that don't have unique class abilities, but why not add the +1 to all the levels and come up with unique class abilities? Maybe work their way up to being able to cast infusions on all undead. Start with skellies, zombies, etc and at the last level be able to cast on liches or something.As mentioned, you can just cast the infusions on clothes they're wearing or on objects they're carrying. It'd be useful only in the case of incorporeal undead or if you're not controlling the undead and it's not wearing anything (eww).

Angrist
2010-05-12, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate the advice.