PDA

View Full Version : Image comics

Ing
2006-07-02, 09:56 PM
Image comics.... overly nilhistic fad of the 90s or a publishing house with a place in the comic industry...

you decide

Beleriphon
2006-07-03, 02:04 AM
I always enjoyed Spawn. As much as I'm loath to admit it, but Spawn is cool. He's a neat character, doing exactly what he was supposed to do, even though he doesn't realize it at first.

Edit:

Also enjoyed Astro City, that was a good book.

Ing
2006-07-03, 12:35 PM
I too enjoyed Spawn at first, but i think his whole moral struggle was kinda poorly framed out. but granted they got better at writing as they went on. Spawn i could see his whole character was about a Damned man, exceptable...but the slew of other "superheros" who were overly grotesque or grusome kinda pushed it for me...i pined for a paladin like Superman or a pucca like Spiderman in that continity to lighten things up abit. don't know if it ever came about but i certanitly left before it did.

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-07-03, 10:46 PM
Thomas Covenant > Spawn.

Beleriphon
2006-07-04, 01:49 AM
Thomas Covenant > Spawn.

True, but keep in mind that when Image started I was only 13 or 14, thus I was drawn into Spawn's crazy world. That and you couldn't go wrong with Gen 13 for the average 14 year old male. Looking back they are abysmal comics (being Gen 13) that totally rip off X-Men, but the women wore less clothing so it didn't matter. ;D

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-04, 03:44 AM
Walking Dead?
Invincible?

I for one welcome our new comic overlords.

Once they got rid of liefield, things could only go up for Image, and they did.

KayJay
2006-07-05, 08:27 AM
Invincible is great, I don't follow any other Image comics, but I really look forward to this one.

Smashymcsmash
2006-07-05, 01:30 PM
Good Image comics(imho):

Sleeper
Supreme(when written by Alan Moore)

Tokeloshe
2006-07-05, 01:56 PM
Image Comics: It's been a while since I have read one, but the impression I got from way back was; The trouble with dark is, is if you go too dark, nobody can see.

Skyserpent
2006-07-05, 05:29 PM
I dunno, the crossover bothered me to no end...

Batman Spawn... Noooooooo...

Ing
2006-07-05, 05:32 PM
i was wondering that myself...how did that work out at all?

that said, am i the only one who thinks Ultimate Marvel has a lot of the same problems IMage's "gritty" stuff has....seems like everyone is a jackass there...except SPiderman...because frankly everyone else being a jackass is just tio hurt him

case in point, did not Wolverine have sex with MJ while bodyswiped with Peter? that is an incredibly dickish thing, and say what you want about regular 616 Logan he would never DATE RAPE A 15 YEAR OLD GIRL!!!!

WHY DOES NO ON IN MARVEL ULTIMATE HAVE ANY MORAL FIBER AT ALL

save maybe...
Wasp, Thor, SPiderman, Cyclops, and the Late Beast

plus Magneto is a an abusive father ****

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-05, 05:58 PM
WHY DOES NO ON IN MARVEL ULTIMATE HAVE ANY MORAL FIBER AT ALL

Hey, its designed for angsty teenage kids.

plus Magneto is a an abusive father ****

Again, meant to appeal to kids.

Ing
2006-07-05, 08:25 PM
but but...so were the orignal comic books....i just

but shouldnot these comics also (and i know i'm soinding like Celestick now) help teach the children moral fortitude? that's kinda what the hero story is about...that they ultimatly do the right thing (something no one in the Ultimates seems capable of...amazing how those jerks havn't managed to destroy the whole world on their own bungling...its like the justice friends if they were hyper voilent steroid users)

sigh oh well...at very least they got me interested and reminded at how stupid comics can be.

it truely is a unique form of story telling...

i want to see how ultimate DOc Ock comes back...after destroying his arms it seems like they've written themselves into a corner as far as he's concerned

How did SPawn meet up with batman??? ((did batman die and go to hell?))

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-06, 12:16 PM
but but...so were the orignal comic books....i just

but shouldnot these comics also (and i know i'm soinding like Celestick now) help teach the children moral fortitude?

i want to see how ultimate DOc Ock comes back...after destroying his arms it seems like they've written themselves into a corner as far as he's concerned

No, those comics are for teenage kids who are sick of moral fortitude.

Doc Ock's tentacles are mechanical, he can make more.

Ing
2006-07-06, 12:58 PM
chicken or the egg...chicken or the egg

how can he get out to make more if he lacks the arms to break him out of high security metahuman prison?

and how did Batman meet up with Spawn? how in the cosmos would that work out.... and no body better dare say hypertime

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-07, 07:26 AM
chicken or the egg...chicken or the egg

That argument is so dumb, of course the egg came first, creatures have layed eggs long before there have even been chickens, and the first chicken's parents weren't chickens they were whatever chickens evolved from.

If he lacks the arms he isn't a meta-human, they'll probably downgrade the security eventually. Or maybe Ultimate Carolyn Trainer will break him out.

Beleriphon
2006-07-07, 07:40 AM
and no body better dare say hypertime

I think Spawn showed up in Gotham and nearly made Joker and some other members of the rogues gallery into hellborn warriors.

At some level its like how Spiderman keeps bumping into Ghost Rider.

Ing
2006-07-07, 03:18 PM
but Spiderman and Ghost rider exist in the same universe

Gotham isn't even in the same multiverse as Spawn, much less country.

Beleriphon
2006-07-08, 01:35 AM
but Spiderman and Ghost rider exist in the same universe

Gotham isn't even in the same multiverse as Spawn, much less country.

Well I meant from a compartive purpose stand point. Both Spawn and Ghost Rider provide a similar service to the world, the same way that Batman and Spiderman do the same thing in terms of criminals.

Old_el_Paso
2006-08-02, 05:04 PM
Actually, according to some crossovers, both the Marvel and DC universes are the same universe. Like Batman meets the Punisher, where Punisher almost kills the Joker but gets stopped by Batman.

anphorus
2006-08-04, 12:38 PM
I thought it was implied that Wolverine only tried to have sex with 15 yo MJ, I'll need to take a look at that issue again.

As for Doc Ock, after his arms are destroyed you see another set of arms in the Cellar in the Hobgoblin arc. So there is definatly still another set out there.

I've never really read any image comics except Invincible, but I'm a big fan of that.

Jack_Banzai
2006-08-04, 01:21 PM
I thought it was implied that Wolverine only tried to have sex with 15 yo MJ, I'll need to take a look at that issue again.

Not only is it only implied, it's not even necessarily intercourse, he might have tried to 'fool around' a bit. As for date raping a 15 year old girl, he certainly could have done it using Spider-Man's super-strong body but he apparently didn't.

I don't think that the Ultimate Marvel characters exist without any moral fiber, but there are very few black and white morality characters in the Ultimate storylines. Even Captain America can be a bit of a horse's rear here and there. Nick Fury (granted, the Grand Theft America storyline sullied my perception of him a lot) seems to genuinely care about his people and the innocents he is sworn to protect. Tony Stark has elected to put his wealth to good use rather than just play the money game for the rest of his life.

The beauty of the Ultimate universe is that the characters are for the most part fleshed out in believable ways considering the current social climate of the world. Black and white, good and evil morality hardly ever enters into the world of the ordinary person - why should it be any different for the extraordinary?

In the Ultimate universe there are people all along the spectrum from cynicism to idealism. Peter Parker is the quintessential idealist prone to fits of self-pity and impotent rage. Hawkeye is the ultimate cynicist, his personality defined by years of fruitless conflict with the seemingly-unstoppable USSR and other foes. In short he acts exactly like an embittered, tired but still dutiful soldier, just like he would in real life.

Just my opinion. As for Doc Ock....

how can he get out to make more if he lacks the arms to break him out of high security metahuman prison?

You forget that Doc Ock is not only a supervillain but also a pretty impressive genius. Remember that the big damage he inflicted on SHIELD during the Ultimate Six didn't have anything to do with his arms, but rather his hacking and subsequent shutdown of SHIELD's computer systems using SHIELD's stolen protocols. The man has a mind that is brilliant and unfortunately totally bent. He can find a way out.

Anyway, back on topic. There aren't a lot of great Image books out there, in my opinion. All of the ones I really loved are gone now (The Replacement God springs instantly to mind.) As far as I can see, Image has pretty much relegated itself to being a sort of second class Dark Horse.

Extra_Crispy
2006-08-12, 03:09 AM
I used to collect lots of image comics when they first came out, were talking almost all their titles, some of my favorites were:

Brigade -- Gotta love a comic that kills a main character in the 3rd comic of the 4 part intro story, and then the first comic of the regular series they kill another one, or should I say Battlestone's (the learder of brigade) brother shootes her in the head. Neither of the characters came back though there was an established goverment project called Project Born Again.

Supreme: Think super superman (His body automaticaly adapted to anything that hurt him and made him tougher) add a high dose of attitude (he said multiple times that he was a god, and killed people because they needed to die) and you have Supreme

Freak Force: The misfits that were not good enough to be lone heros but fit together pretty well. Had some great lines, interesting characters, with well rounded personalities and history. ex: Mighty man had a alternate idenity kinda like Shazzam, but the other "normal" person was a woman

There are so many others but they are boxed up and I have not read them in quite a while, time to go diving through them again :)