PDA

View Full Version : Full Metal Alchemist

Ebonwoulfe
2006-06-23, 09:32 PM
Anyone else on the board a big fan of Hiromu Arakawa's work?

Anyone a moderate fan?

Anyone a big hater?

Anyone like manga who has never heard of Full Metal Alchemst?

Eukrin
2006-06-23, 10:48 PM
I've read books 1-7, but that's about the limit of my exposure to FMA, aside from rabid fans who really rather scare me; I'd like to avoid them...

It's a neat story and I rather like the concept behind it.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-06-23, 11:02 PM
yes; I am a huge fan of FMA. I completed reading the manga, watched the Americanized anime (I LOVE Lusts voice!) and the original Japanese. I have to say that it is the one that got me into watching anime. I never really cared for it that much until someone had me sit down and watch about 4 episodes. I was insatiably hooked. The storylines are great, the characters are all well rounded, and there are no overwhelming plot holes. Sensei Arakawa did an awesome job...

Eukrin
2006-06-23, 11:05 PM
That's good to hear. It's also good to hear that there seems to be an ending to it; my sister often gets into anime/manga series that never seem to end, like DBZ and Inu-Yasha, and that always drives me crazy.

I just heard too much good about it from a few sources I trust, so I splurged and bought 1-7 on sale at an anime convention. I figured, if I ended up not liking them, I could give them to my sister, and she'd squeal and love me forever.

But I like them too much. They're MINE. ;D

CelestialStick
2006-06-23, 11:17 PM
Anyone else on the board a big fan of Hiromu Arakawa's work?

Anyone a moderate fan?

Anyone a big hater?

Anyone like manga who has never heard of Full Metal Alchemst?

I think I saw an ad for Full Metal Alchemst on Cartoon Network. "Manga" has always sounded like tropical fruit to me. ;)

Thray
2006-06-24, 12:25 AM
I've read up to the latest release. I follow the series obsessively...it's my second favorite manga (Death Note recently took 1st place. Light Yagami is just too awesome, even compared to Ed)

Dispozition
2006-06-24, 01:18 AM
I need to see it some time. I've heard it's very good. I myself prefer Ghost in the shell and the Hayao Miyazaki stuff.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-06-24, 02:14 AM
You know what really got me fed up with FMA?

People insisting that's where my Screen name came from.

I know, that's a silly thing to bother me, but I've had this screen name all over the web for 10 years. >:(

Thray
2006-06-24, 02:33 AM
You know what really got me fed up with FMA?

People insisting that's where my Screen name came from.

I know, that's a silly thing to bother me, but I've had this screen name all over the web for 10 years. >:(

I can't see where that comes from, seeing as FMA has no character named Merlin. It seems a bit silly to assume anything related to alchemy has to do with FMA.

RationalGoblin
2006-06-24, 01:30 PM
Never heard of it.

EDIT: What is it? ???

Ing
2006-06-24, 02:02 PM
I think I saw an ad for Full Metal Alchemst on Cartoon Network. "Manga" has always sounded like tropical fruit to me. ;)

no that's a Mango...and its a male form of Manga. you see to reproduce the fruit form Mango and the book form Manga coppulate....the Manga buds and produces spoors which are spread to the wind. those that land in tropic areas grow into the male Magnos, and those that land in Japan grow into Manga's the female form.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-06-24, 03:40 PM
no that's a Mango...and its a male form of Manga. you see to reproduce the fruit form Mango and the book form Manga coppulate....the Manga buds and produces spoors which are spread to the wind. those that land in tropic areas grow into the male Magnos, and those that land in Japan grow into Manga's the female form.

Wow, do you have too much time on your hands! =)

silvadel
2006-06-25, 02:36 AM
18 episodes from the end of innuyasha on cartoon network...

FMA and really anything bones is quite good.

Sad though how little anime is coming out on cartoon network these days and that G4 stopped anime unleashed.

Beleriphon
2006-06-25, 02:47 AM
I have the complete series on 2 DVDs in the original Japanese. I sat down and watched them over a weekend. Its a good show. Good show.

CelestialStick
2006-06-25, 02:51 AM
Can't we just stipulate that this name comes from Full Metal Jacket and all go home? ;)

Beleriphon
2006-06-25, 02:54 AM
Can't we just stipulate that this name comes from Full Metal Jacket and all go home? ;)

Ya know thats the first thing I thought of when seeing the serieis title for the first time. I just can't imagine somebody screaming at Ed that God has a hard on for marines though.

CelestialStick
2006-06-25, 02:55 AM
Ya know thats the first thing I thought of when seeing the serieis title for the first time. I just can't imagine somebody screaming at Ed that God has a hard on for marines though.
I try not to imagine such language at all. ;)

Beleriphon
2006-06-25, 02:57 AM
I try not to imagine such language at all. ;)

I find its best not to as well. I suppose it would be easier to imagine Wilem Dafoe getting right stoned with Charlie Sheen instead.

CelestialStick
2006-06-25, 03:42 AM
I find its best not to as well. I suppose it would be easier to imagine Wilem Dafoe getting right stoned with Charlie Sheen instead.

LOL. There is nothing like a good Vietnam War movie to get everything as crude and depressing as possible.

Beleriphon
2006-06-25, 04:04 AM
LOL. There is nothing like a good Vietnam War movie to get everything as crude and depressing as possible.

That only leaves Apocalypse Now for the classic Vietnam War movie trifecta. I can't seem to come up with a snappy tie in for Full Metal Alchemist though, I don't think Brando or Sheen lend well to mockery in that one.

CelestialStick
2006-06-25, 04:21 AM
That only leaves Apocalypse Now for the classic Vietnam War movie trifecta. I can't seem to come up with a snappy tie in for Full Metal Alchemist though, I don't think Brando or Sheen lend well to mockery in that one.

What's the third one of the trifecta? I'm think The Deer Hunter, which as I recall was actually the first of the Nam movies.

Did you know that Apocalypse Now is also a retelling of Robert Conrad's Heart of Darkness?

Did you know there's a great satire of Apocalypse Now called Pork Lips Now? It's absolutely hysterical! ;D

Beleriphon
2006-06-25, 11:20 AM
Did you know that Apocalypse Now is also a retelling of Robert Conrad's Heart of Darkness?

Oh yes, I had to read it in high school. If Robert Conrad weren't already dead I'd probably kill him. That man is a monstrously dull writer. That being said Apocalypse Now is great movie. If you can stay awake through its 3 1/2 hour length.

Ebonwoulfe
2006-06-25, 01:39 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a successful Knowledge: Fruits check

I'm glad there's some fans of the show on here. Since everyone else offered, I got into it while watching Cartoon Network's [adult swim] block, and I would always sit down and watch FMA after my rommate finished watching Inu Yasha. Of course, there were the random questions: Why is the younger brother bigger and a suit of armor? Why does Ed have a mechanical arm and leg? Why doesn't he finally just get it over with and make sweet love to Winry?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

So they started the series over at the beginning, and dangit I watched every one. And I was happy.

So then I find the translated into American manga, and I swallow my pride and buy it.

For those who don't know, FMA is about two brothers (Ed and Al) who tried to use alchemy (transmuting stuff) to bring back their dead mother. Well, brining back the dead is bad news bears, and the younger broter (Al) gets demolished by the forces associated with the transmutation. Ed just loses a leg by the same forces.

Well Ed decides that he knows enough that, since Al is freshly dead, he can still catch his soul and put it into another object. In trade, he gives up his arm, but manages to get Al fixed into an animated suit of armor.

The crux of the story is finding the power to get Al back into his original, fleshy body.

Faticus
2006-06-25, 03:18 PM
Full Metal Alchemst is the work of the Gods ;D

Zeful
2006-06-25, 03:34 PM
I like it, all the characters seem real enough so you want to strangle Ed for figuring certain things out.

Khallazar
2006-06-25, 04:27 PM
Coooolll an FMA Topic...

I love FMA!!! It's one of the best animes I've ever seen since Saint Seya...

By the way...

I think I saw an ad for Full Metal Alchemst on Cartoon Network. "Manga" has always sounded like tropical fruit to me.

Actually, there are many mangas here in Brasil (yeah I'm from Brasil) and they are pretty tasty!!!

I've the hole 51 charpters here but unfortunately they have Portuguse transaltion so...

CelestialStick
2006-06-25, 11:30 PM
Oh yes, I had to read it in high school. If Robert Conrad weren't already dead I'd probably kill him. That man is a monstrously dull writer. That being said Apocalypse Now is great movie. If you can stay awake through its 3 1/2 hour length.

I still prefer Pork Lips Now. ;D

AmoDman
2006-06-26, 12:36 AM
I've never even watched any manga.

p.s. Joking, but seriously, I don't read a lot of manga. Do watch some anime, though. FMA is a great series, in that respect.

bluish_wolf
2006-06-26, 05:18 AM
It's Fullmetal Alchemist. Two words. Not Full Metal Alchemist.

I don't know if it's in the manga, but did anyone catch the D&D reference in the TV show? If you pause and read one of the books near the beginning, it's a D&D sourcebook.

Ebonwoulfe
2006-06-26, 08:47 AM
You know what I just realized?

What is the significance to Ed being named the "Fullmetal Alchemist"? There must be some significance, but I can't grok it.

(two words, huh?)

bluish_wolf
2006-06-26, 09:17 AM
I don't know if it's in the manga, but did anyone catch the D&D reference in the TV show? If you pause and read one of the books near the beginning, it's a D&D sourcebook.

Here it is: http://kenshinrogie.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fullmetal-alchemist-ep3-alchemy-and-herbalists.jpg

What is the significance to Ed being named the "Fullmetal Alchemist"? There must be some significance, but I can't grok it.

I suppose it just sounded better than "The Crippled Alchemist" or the "Fullprosthetic Alchemist"

Gralamin
2006-06-26, 10:05 AM
FMA is truely great. I'm rewatching it right now (japense subbed version).

It amazes me how the author can keep the character so consistent.

DASLAYARGH
2006-06-26, 10:13 PM
FMA's alright, but i don't like it anymore cause somebody ruined it for me... (Not by like telling me what would happen next. In another way you don't wanna know...) :-/

Ing
2006-06-26, 10:37 PM
the alchamists are named after their specialty. Ed's appears to be using metal and silicate (hence his manifestation of his staff) other alchamists are named after a smiliar manner

CelestialStick
2006-06-28, 03:14 AM
Here it is: http://kenshinrogie.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fullmetal-alchemist-ep3-alchemy-and-herbalists.jpg

I suppose it just sounded better than "The Crippled Alchemist" or the "Fullprosthetic Alchemist"
In American you'd have to call it "Disabled Alchemist." ;)

Piedmon_Sama
2006-06-28, 04:45 AM
the alchamists are named after their specialty. Ed's appears to be using metal and silicate (hence his manifestation of his staff) other alchamists are named after a smiliar manner

Right on. Roy Mustang combusts oxygen to make fireballs, hence he is "The Flame Alchemist." Colonel Armstrong uses a mixture of Alchemy and his own brute strength, hence he is "The Strongarm Alchemist."

I totally love FMA, though I've only read one volume of the Manga (4, I heard that was where it diverged from the anime but found it continued pretty much the same.) I've seen the whole series though, and it's on my to-buy list for DVDs just behind Neon Genesis Evangelion and Berserk (53 episodes as compared to 26.)

My favorite characters are Colonel Armstrong and Scar (it goes back and forth between the two a lot. Scar is a great character, and a sympathizable anti-hero, Armstrong has sheer off-the-wall charisma.) The second favorite is Greed though. (A friend of mine once perfectly summed him up as the James Dean of the Homonculi.)

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-28, 12:46 PM
I've only seen a few episodes and it's a little confusing. Ed's shortness both in temper and stature are generally amusing though. It's just a touch odd that the huge suit of armor talks like a little kid, but y'know it makes sense seeing as he is a little kid. I like the show in general and the characters are quite believable, if a tad melodramatic.

FMA's alright, but i don't like it anymore cause somebody ruined it for me... (Not by like telling me what would happen next. In another way you don't wanna know...) :-/

Would a yaoi fangirl be involved in this little fiasco by any chance?

Krytha
2006-06-28, 02:34 PM
FMA is one of my recent favourites. Don't touch the anime with a ten foot pole though... They always seem to find a way to ruin it. The manga on the other hand... can't wait for the next one.

Shigeki
2006-06-28, 02:36 PM
Heh... big FMA fan here. Bring back Maes Hughes!

Ebonwoulfe
2006-06-30, 07:29 PM
The anime is pretty good, I don't know why you wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Using your logic, if you had diamonds and gold, just because the gold was slightly less valuable you wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I would take both, thank you!

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-07-29, 04:38 AM
1st question: can't "grok" it? That is hilarious!

also, it is a play on what his specialty it, as was said. It was also kinda-an injoke from the Fuhrer seeing as though his brother was a suit of armor...

Poison_Fish
2006-07-29, 02:27 PM
I've seen the whole series though, and it's on my to-buy list for DVDs just behind Neon Genesis Evangelion and Berserk (53 episodes as compared to 26.)

Though this isn't FMA, here is my suggestion about Berserk. Read the manga, it's still going and goes past a plot point. The show(As funny as the dub is sometimes) will leave you disappointed. I will not say how for plot and spoiler reasons.

Then again, in other eyes, the show may be worth it. Just my two cents.

on topic. I like FMA. I use it as an example of a show that may not be over the top amazing, but regardless of most opinions, is damn well done.

Daedrous Avari
2006-07-31, 03:50 PM
Well, well well. Finally, something I can post a long post at! :D

I've seen the entire Americanized Anime, loved that. Bought like... The first 10 manga, read those.

Now now now, see, I didn't long post at all!

The Demented One
2006-08-01, 10:46 PM
Truth be told, I rather prefer the anime to the manga. None of the silliness with panda bears, and the homunculi are neater.

Zeful
2006-08-02, 01:09 AM
There are a couple of really cool episodes of the VG cats.

Fullmetal Botanist (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=188)
And
Get 'em Ed! Get 'em! (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=168)

jewellissa
2006-08-02, 12:23 PM
Quote:

I have one thing to add to this. I cant remember in which one (maybe both) the President himself gives Edward his Alchemist name. It is because Edward uses his metal hand basically in his hand to hand alchemy fighting but it is also a reminder thaa Alphonse is not human and is fully metal. If anyone (anyone they didnt "trust") relized that there was no person in the armor they would obviously realize how Al lost his body and he would immediately be distroyed along with Edward. Al because he is unnatural (see the guard in the similar situation at the reasearch facility) and Edward because he created a homonculus (which is illegal). So it is also a reminder of how much he owes the government and how much he is a "dog of military".

Daedrous Avari
2006-08-10, 03:49 PM
Cuz he's got metal stuff!

The president? It's more like germany, so it'd be the Fuhrer. Or the dictator.

B-Man
2006-08-10, 05:23 PM
I LOVE FMA!!! the manga is incredible!!! ...but VIZ has ruined both the manga... stupid americanization... >:(

Poison_Fish
2006-08-10, 07:01 PM
I LOVE FMA!!! the manga is incredible!!! ...but VIZ has ruined both the manga... stupid americanization... >:(

And pray-tell, how has viz screwed it up?

I haven't bothered reading it other then I've been told it's good.

B-Man
2006-08-10, 10:38 PM
its just the whole thing about editing it for the american teen... dropping the honorifics at the end of the person's name... and the censorship... but FMA IS a good manga (cant say that i like the anime too much, its just too different from the manga), i just dont think that VIZ has done a good job with keeping the original text in the series

Poison_Fish
2006-08-11, 04:37 PM
The censorship I don't know about, but the honorific would confuse a lot of audiences. If Viz's goal is to not only attract diehard manga fans, but also regular comic book audiences, I can see the sense in making a decision to drop the honorifics.

I say, get what you can get. I have no problem reading things that come straight from Japan, but I know certain parts of the language don't play as crucial as a role in some stories then others. I imagine this may do the same.

Now a massive mistranslation I can understand, and have seen quite a lot of.

Beleriphon
2006-08-12, 01:04 AM
its just the whole thing about editing it for the american teen... dropping the honorifics at the end of the person's name... and the censorship... but FMA IS a good manga (cant say that i like the anime too much, its just too different from the manga), i just dont think that VIZ has done a good job with keeping the original text in the series

You do realize that the purpose of a translation isn't to litterally translate what is said right? The idea is to convery the concepts of what the characters are saying, not the literal words. In many cases, keeping honorifics in this case, has little impact of the average American audience its removed because it will only confuse the readers.

I take examples of Homer's epics, when translated directly into English they are hard to follow and understand. Not because of any mistranslations but because they don't make any sense in a modern, or even North American context. A good translator will do their best of find equivilent ideas, or barring that dropping the original cultural idea because it isn't in any way relevent to the audience being translated for.

As for censorship and what not, well that I don't necessarily agree with. However, given that most comics are marketed at the 12 to 18 demographics its understandable that the company doing the North American distribution wants to make the book applicable to their target audience.