PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find A New Comic Book

ChubsMcGee
2006-08-02, 02:53 AM
So every time I go to the comic book store I wander the racks looking for a new comic. Sure I have my staple comics, mostly Iron Man, and the new Steam Age Transformers. But I want a straight steampunkish comic. Or just something a little less heroey and a little more surreal. So anyone got any suggestions? I know that eventually I will find it, I am not sure exactly what it will be, but when I find it I will know.

Poison_Fish
2006-08-02, 03:23 AM
You could always turn to manga.

Ok.. I myself need to check out the American comic book world a bit more if I am really to offer advice.

Jarl
2006-08-02, 05:39 AM
It's not American, it's not manga, it's... oh, it is American, I think.
It's the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!
Forget everything you knew about the movie? You ever seen Batman Forever, Batman and Robin? Yeah, same deal with "LXG".
Basic premise: Mina Harker, Alan Quartermain, Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, and Doctor Jeykle and Mr. Hyde have to team up to stop an evil "Doctor"* from using stolen Cavorite to bombard London! But why stop there, when they also have to deal with the insiduous Professor Moriarty and the deadly Invaders from MARS!**

*Not Doctor Fu Manchu at all, honest.
**Coincidentally, not actually from Mars, but aliens who invaded Mars and were repelled by John Carter, Gullivar Jones, and the Sorn.

-Each one is loaded to the gills with references, overt and obscure, not only to Victorian literature, but eventually to the entirety of fiction, sans comic books.

Artisan
2006-08-02, 11:30 AM
League of extraordinary gentlemen in fantastic. In fact, just find anything with Alan Moore on the cover and buy it - it'll be a good read.

WampaX
2006-08-02, 12:04 PM
I think Mr. McGee is looking for something new and current, released on a regular basis, not packaged in a TPB. That doesn't discount that the TPBs aren't a good choice, but its tough to go back to the racks week by week and find "new" content for the TPB series.

I would have suggested Girl Genius (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/), but Phil Foglio has taken it from print and gone completely to the web (save for the collections for sale).

ChubsMcGee
2006-08-02, 04:11 PM
I have been reading some of girl genius, a friend of mine has been buying the collections. I will try the League though. And while I like girl genius, and the setting, I want something a little more serious. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old_el_Paso
2006-08-02, 05:41 PM
If you're in for a good laugh and won't be offended easily I suggest Sidekick by Image comics.

Logic
2006-08-04, 12:33 AM
manga is not intended for you if you like Iron Man. the story telling and plots are totally different.

BTW, manga and ANIME are 2 completely different types of styles. whereas manga is usually in print (as well as decent) Anime is for whiney emo children.
How many shows does one need to make about being a cheerleader (trainer) for some half cocked monster that says only its name?

Beleriphon
2006-08-04, 01:09 AM
BTW, manga and ANIME are 2 completely different types of styles. whereas manga is usually in print (as well as decent) Anime is for whiney emo children.
How many shows does one need to make about being a cheerleader (trainer) for some half cocked monster that says only its name?

Correcty, anime is a style of animation that uses elements of the comic art form. For example there are still images set against moving backgrounds. There are also plenty of manga about whiny emo kids.

There are also plenty of fine animes, meant for adult audiences. Akira for example, also a really a good manga. If you really want to find some good mangas, and you like Iron Man, try taking a look at some of the mecha ones. They tend to feature similar styles of story telling, of course that depends a great deal about what you like about Iron Man.

Jack_Banzai
2006-08-04, 02:27 AM
Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra.

It will blow your freaking mind. Funny as hell and a really interesting read.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-08-04, 02:47 AM
I say if you can't find what you want on the shelves, go rogue and write your own, like I did.

Mr. Moon
2006-08-05, 06:11 PM
I don't read alot of Western comics. The only ones I've read are Batgirl: Silent Running, wich I'm not so fond of, and 1602, wich is basicly the Marvel world in 1602, and possibly Marvel's best work so far. My faveourit comic book is Wolfriders, by Wendy and Richard Pini. I'm not entirely sure if it's Manga or Western, but nontheless it's very good.

Basic Plotline: Cutter is the young cheif of the Wolfriders, a small clan of elfs who have bonded with the wolfs of the World of Two Moons. Other decendants of the High Ones, who crashed on the planet houndreds of years ago, are scaterd throughout the world, including the Sunfolk, the Gliders and the Gobacks. Humans also live on this planet, many but not all sworn enemies of the "demons" who have landed on this planet, as well as Trolls and Preservers, who came to the World of Two Moon's with the High Ones. Many of these clans don't know of each other, that is untill Cutter begins his quest to find and unit the elfs of The World of Two Moons.

There are also plenty of fine animes, meant for adult audiences. Akira for example, also a really a good manga. If you really want to find some good mangas, and you like Iron Man, try taking a look at some of the mecha ones. They tend to feature similar styles of story telling, of course that depends a great deal about what you like about Iron Man.

I agree. Just because the only Anime you may have seen is Pokemon, doesn't mean it's the only one out there. Naruto, InuYasha, Gundam Seed and .Hack are some examples of Anime for older veiwers.

Also, Anime is often inspired by a Manga, so if your thinking of buying a Manga book, see if you can find and watch the show first.

Beleriphon
2006-08-06, 02:19 AM
I agree. Just because the only Anime you may have seen is Pokemon, doesn't mean it's the only one out there. Naruto, InuYasha, Gundam Seed and .Hack are some examples of Anime for older veiwers.

Also, Anime is often inspired by a Manga, so if your thinking of buying a Manga book, see if you can find and watch the show first.

True very true. My favourite complaint is about the Dragonball series. People say its so stupid, that it makes no sense. There is a reason, its a comedy show, like Everybody Loves Raymond but with flying transforming giant ape men.

If you want a good read, and something to hang on to find V for Vendetta. Its an absolutely brilliant book.

Mr. Moon
2006-08-06, 08:47 PM
Personaly, I'm a big fan of MAR, but it's a bit imature of the first few novels. It gets better by the third book, however.