PDA

View Full Version : Half-Drow and Drow Paragon Class <3.5>

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 12:03 PM
Can Half-Drow take the Half-Elf paragon class, then take Drow Paragon, since TECHNICALLY drow are elves. Just stronger (?).

The reason I asked this is for the following build concept:

Race: Deepwyrm Half-Drow
Class: Devoted Domain (essentially, 1 domain) Wizard 9/Half-Elf Paragon 3/Drow Paragon 3/Archmage 5

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-12, 12:04 PM
Only if raised in Drow Society.

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 12:06 PM
Only if raised in Drow Society.

So my build, by canon and by RAW is kosher?

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-12, 12:07 PM
By Canon, sure... if there are also other Half-Drow (or even better Half-Elves) around for them to gain the Half-Elf Paragon.

By RAW... not according to the Half-Elf Paragon as written, but certainly by RAI.

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 12:11 PM
By Canon, sure... if there are also other Half-Drow (or even better Half-Elves) around for them to gain the Half-Elf Paragon.

By RAW... not according to the Half-Elf Paragon as written, but certainly by RAI.

My wizard is from the fringes of Drow society as a member of a dead house that relly isn't dead

RAI?

Cog
2010-05-12, 12:12 PM
Divided Ancestry (Ex): Unlike other racial paragons, half-elves can take levels in more than one racial paragon class. After gaining at least one level as a half-elf paragon, a character can take either elf paragon levels or human paragon levels (but not both).
It's explicitly either the Elf class or the Human class. Would the Drow class be broken to take? Not at all. It's not within the rules, though.

Edit: RAI means Rules as Intended.

Greenish
2010-05-12, 12:12 PM
My wizard is from the fringes of Drow society as a member of a dead house that relly isn't deadDon't those get hunted down?

RAI?Rules As Intended.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-12, 12:13 PM
My wizard is from the fringes of Drow society as a member of a dead house that relly isn't dead

RAI?

RAW = Read as Written
RAI = Read as Intended.

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 12:15 PM
Don't those get hunted down?
Rules As Intended.

1. Under normal circumstances. The clan is Dragonblooded, and thus is "Untouchables" (in our drow society, Untouchables are ancient clans)

2. Ahhhhh

Kylarra
2010-05-12, 12:34 PM
Is it really worth losing 3 caster levels for some really minor abilities?
Why 9 levels of wizard?

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 01:36 PM
Is it really worth losing 3 caster levels for some really minor abilities?
Why 9 levels of wizard?

3? I thought only 1 or 2

Kylarra
2010-05-12, 01:38 PM
3? I thought only 1 or 2
Drow paragon loses 1, assuming you're male, else you lose 3:smallwink:
Half-elf loses 2.
1+2=3

Akal Saris
2010-05-12, 01:39 PM
By the strictest possible reading of the rules, maybe no, but I believe any sensible DM would allow it. Especially since the build itself isn't very optimized.

Oddly enough, yesterday my friend came up with the idea of a gestalt wizard/half-elf paragon, advancing half-elf, human paragon, and elf paragon with levels of wizard and fighter for full casting, to get 26 Int by level 8. So this immediately reminded me of his idea.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-05-12, 01:51 PM
I remember when I played a half-drow though that character wasn't the traditional half-drow. She was 100% Elf just half of that elf was Drow.

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 01:54 PM
Drow paragon loses 1, assuming you're male, else you lose 3:smallwink:
Half-elf loses 2.
1+2=3

can I get 9th level spells? Considering as to how INT will be my only good score

Kylarra
2010-05-12, 01:59 PM
can I get 9th level spells? Considering as to how INT will be my only good scoreYes, but it still begs the question.

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 02:00 PM
Yes, but it still begs the question.

Our homebrewed Mind over Body. Does the same thing, only pemanently (as in, INT to HP EVERY LEVEL)

Greenish
2010-05-12, 02:04 PM
Our homebrewed Mind over Body. Does the same thing, only pemanently (as in, INT to HP EVERY LEVEL)So, Faerie Mysteries Initiate (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Faerie_Mysteries_Initiate)?

Kylarra
2010-05-12, 02:05 PM
Our homebrewed Mind over Body. Does the same thing, only pemanently (as in, INT to HP EVERY LEVEL)
That is not an answer to the question. The question was why are you swapping 3 caster levels for:

Improved Spell-Like Abilities

At 1st level, a drow paragon gains one additional daily use of each of her innate spell-like abilities.
Improved Darkvision (Ex)

At 2nd level, a drow paragon's darkvision range increases by 30 feet.
Light Sensitivity (Ex)

A 2nd-level drow paragon's light blindness is lessened to light sensitivity. Instead of being blinded by bright light, she is merely dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Ability Boost (Ex)

At 3rd level, a drow paragon's Dexterity score increases by 2 points.
Bonus Feat (Ex)

At 1st level, a half-elf paragon gains a bonus feat. The character must meet the feat's prerequisites normally.
Divided Ancestry (Ex)

Unlike other racial paragons, half-elves can take levels in more than one racial paragon class. After gaining at least one level as a half-elf paragon, a character can take either elf paragon levels or human paragon levels (but not both).
Elven Vision (Ex)

At 1st level, a half-elf paragon's visual acuity improves to match that of an elf's. A half-elf paragon's racial bonus on Search and Spot checks increases to +2.
Persuasion (Ex)

A 2nd level half-elf paragon's racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather information checks increases to +3. She gains a +2 racial bonus on all other Charisma-based skills.
Ability Boost (Ex)

At 3rd level, a half-elf paragon increases one ability score of her choice by 2 points.

3/4 BAB vs 1/2 BAB, is negligible, a grand total of +1 over the same 6 levels
Half elf (D8) is an average of 6 more hp and drow (D6) is 3 more hp for a total of 9 hp;
Both get 2 more skill points per level, but that's marginally useless considering you're already a wizard with int focus.

So what in that box is worth delaying your 9th level spells by 3 levels?

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 02:06 PM
So, Faerie Mysteries Initiate (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Faerie_Mysteries_Initiate)?

Can't see the page....

Greenish
2010-05-12, 02:09 PM
Can't see the page....Weird, works for me. Anyhow, you take the feat, have sex with an elf for 15 minutes and you can use your Int mod instead of your Con mod when determining your hitpoints.

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 02:11 PM
Weird, works for me. Anyhow, you take the feat, have sex with an elf for 15 minutes and you can use your Int mod instead of your Con mod when determining your hitpoints.

WHAT?!

seriously, can I skip the intercourse part?

Kylarra
2010-05-12, 02:13 PM
Weird, works for me. Anyhow, you take the feat, have sex with an elf for 15 minutes and you can use your Int mod instead of your Con mod when determining your hitpoints.Well it has to be another elf with FMI, to be fair. It's not indiscriminate.

Greenish
2010-05-12, 02:20 PM
Well it has to be another elf with FMI, to be fair. It's not indiscriminate.To be exact, it has to be a gray elf, high elf, tallfellow halfling, wild elf, wood elf or someone from Celene, Lendore Isles or Verbobonc with the same feat.

On the other hand, you only have to do it once, ever.

[Edit]:
seriously, can I skip the intercourse part?It's just a quarter of an hour, just lie back and think of England.

WoodenSword
2010-05-12, 02:24 PM
To be exact, it has to be a gray elf, high elf, tallfellow halfling, wild elf, wood elf or someone from Celene, Lendore Isles or Verbobonc with the same feat.

On the other hand, you only have to do it once, ever.

[Edit]:It's just a quarter of an hour, just lie back and think of England.

Let's say it happened in the DISTANT past

Greenish
2010-05-12, 02:28 PM
Let's say it happened in the DISTANT pastNow you've gone and made Legolas sad.http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/061/5/5/Legolas_Desktop_Screenshot_by_Sarathesourpatchkid. jpgShame on you!

Kylarra
To be exact, it has to be a gray elf, high elf, tallfellow halfling, wild elf, wood elf or someone from Celene, Lendore Isles or Verbobonc with the same feat.Well by definition the requirement of needing the same feat applies the racial limitations, but yes.

The Cat Goddess
Let's say it happened in the DISTANT past

You also have to meet the same requirements as your partner...

So no, not for a Drow or Half-Drow usually... at least not one raised in Drow society.

Greenish
2010-05-12, 03:39 PM
Well by definition the requirement of needing the same feat applies the racial limitations, but yes.I meant that it doesn't necessarily have to be an elf.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-12, 03:43 PM
I meant that it doesn't necessarily have to be an elf.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that he (the player's character) would also have to meet the racial/regional requirements of the feat.

Greenish
2010-05-12, 04:14 PM
Yes, but what I'm saying is that he (the player's character) would also have to meet the racial/regional requirements of the feat.I wasn't denying that, or even responding to you. :smallamused:

Kylarra
2010-05-12, 05:14 PM
I meant that it doesn't necessarily have to be an elf.You're actually the one that said it was an elf first, so I blame faulty initial information!

Greenish
2010-05-12, 05:25 PM
You're actually the one that said it was an elf first, so I blame faulty initial information!Touché. .....