PDA

View Full Version : Starwars Saga Introduction? or How to bring someone new into RPGs?

druid91
2010-05-12, 12:16 PM
OK I have convinced my mom to try and play Star-Wars Saga, this will be her first time trying a roleplaying game without me being a horrible Dm/Gm by attempting to make everything up on the spot. The first time was with D&D 3.5 but I don't think she really figured that out. Partly because I was doing all the work, I made her character and everything. She had no idea what anything on the character sheet meant.

So my question is, what is a good way to introduce an almost completely new player to a game.

One advantage I might have is I might be able to convince the oldest of my little sisters to play, and she has played with me and my dad before. She isn't too good with the math but she understands the general idea of roleplaying, and does pretty good in D&D when somebody else handles her math.

I was thinking of doing something akin to the Tutorial level in KOTOR for a quick run through to get the idea down. This would be after a rudimentary explanation of what to do.

So any advice?

Grynning
2010-05-12, 12:43 PM
Time to pimp AKA_Bait's guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474
it's also in the stickied post of notable threads.

As for teaching your mom to play SW: Saga - First thing, just explain the basic mechanic of "roll d20, add the correct numbers, high numbers good." Most adults can grasp that pretty easily. Then break down action economy - swift->move->Standard. I've found if you don't explain that early people tend to get really confused later.
I'd also advise you to just give her some time to read the book. Depending on her learning style she may figure out a lot by doing that (assuming she wants to).

druid91
2010-05-12, 01:54 PM
Thanks and I read that guide a while ago before Dming for my Dad.