PDA

View Full Version : Portal for Free till the 24th.

Breltar
2010-05-12, 03:28 PM
That is right, free... as in you keep it, forever.

http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

Now also works on Macs.

Cogwheel
2010-05-12, 03:32 PM

Now also works on Macs.

They're mad. Mad I say. I own this, but still.

It's almost as if Valve thought there wasn't enough proof of their awesomeness floating around.

chiasaur11
2010-05-12, 03:35 PM
They're mad. Mad I say. I own this, but still.

It's almost as if Valve thought there wasn't enough proof of their awesomeness floating around.

I am stopping random strangers and telling them of the good news.

Which, you know, crazy, but:

Portal. Free.

Aragehaor
2010-05-12, 04:02 PM
I'm ashamed to say i dont own portal.

Though im happy - No Overjoyed - No Im Exploding with overjoyed happiness! - No! even that is not accurate! I know not of words that can describe my unlimited joy over this wondrous event!

My Previous mistake of not taking ownership of portal has been rectified!

I love you, Valve.

DemonicAngel
2010-05-12, 04:19 PM
Wait.
Portal... as in The with capital T Portal?
that game with the physics puzzles and the awesome gameplay? that Portal?
for free?

I think my own world has just fallen into a portal. this must be anther universe Oo

Rhydeble
2010-05-12, 04:40 PM
I officialy hate valve

I have some really important tests coming up next week, and I haven't opened my books that much, and now THIS.... WHY?

Totally Guy
2010-05-12, 04:44 PM
Nice. I wonder if my mac can do good graphics... Guess I'll find out.

SparkMandriller
2010-05-12, 04:46 PM
So what's wrong with it?

PanNarrans
2010-05-12, 04:46 PM
Well.

I suppose now I have no excuse.

Wheeeee!

shadow_archmagi
2010-05-12, 04:56 PM
STATEMENT: "Portal is free until the 24th"

QUERY: Of the two following meanings, which closer resembles the truth?

INTERPRETATION ONE: "If you buy portal today, for the price of zero dollars, then you will own portal, just like other people who paid money for it"

INTERPRETATION TWO: "If you download portal now, you can play it for a few weeks. Then, on may 24, the trial will expire, and you'll have to decide that portal is worth 10 dollars to keep playing."

AlterForm
2010-05-12, 04:59 PM
So what's wrong with it?

You have to use a Mac! Do-ho-ho-ho-hoh!

I kid, I kid.

RS14
2010-05-12, 05:04 PM
STATEMENT: "Portal is free until the 24th"

QUERY: Of the two following meanings, which closer resembles the truth?

INTERPRETATION ONE: "If you buy portal today, for the price of zero dollars, then you will own portal, just like other people who paid money for it"

INTERPRETATION TWO: "If you download portal now, you can play it for a few weeks. Then, on may 24, the trial will expire, and you'll have to decide that portal is worth 10 dollars to keep playing."

You get to keep it after the 24th. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14910927&postcount=32)

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-12, 05:27 PM
This is great news! Finally I can play this game!

...wait, the only computer I have that can download it (laptop) doesn't have the power to play it, and the only computer I have with the power to play it (desktop) isn't connected to the internet.

....Is there any way to solve this problem (other than connecting the desktop to the internet, which I cannot do).

AlterForm
2010-05-12, 05:29 PM

...wait, the only computer I have that can download it (laptop) doesn't have the power to play it, and the only computer I have with the power to play it (desktop) isn't connected to the internet.

....Is there any way to solve this problem (other than connecting the desktop to the internet, which I cannot do).

Hmmm. You could try to piggyback the desktop through the laptop. Would take a couple feet of ethernet cable and jumping through a few hoops with Windows.

Pretty sure Steam needs to be connected to the internet at least once before you can download or play anything, however.

Erloas
2010-05-12, 05:53 PM

Well you can download it on the laptop and then create a backup, copy the backup to your desktop (LAN, burned DVD, thumb drive, etc) then install it on the desktop from the backup. However at that point you would have to connect the desktop to the net at least long enough to log into Steam once to verify the account and set the game to offline mode.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-12, 05:56 PM
Well you can download it on the laptop and then create a backup, copy the backup to your desktop (LAN, burned DVD, thumb drive, etc) then install it on the desktop from the backup. However at that point you would have to connect the desktop to the net at least long enough to log into Steam once to verify the account and set the game to offline mode.

Well drat. Looks like it's time to harass my mom until she gets the password for our connection somehow (she lost it, so no new computer can connect... unless anybody knows how to figure out the password and such from a computer already connected?).

RS14
2010-05-12, 05:57 PM
Please explain your network layout. Wireless?

Generally you can search for the model name of your wireless router and "default password" or something similar. This will net a default router password, which will probably allow you to log (if you haven't changed it) in if you point your browser to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. Then there will be some wireless settings tab where you can specify the password for your wireless network. Possibly it will show you the existing password.

Wireless routers generally also have several ethernet ports in the back. No password is required to connect the computer physically to these.

Mando Knight
2010-05-12, 06:00 PM
THIS IS MADNESS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgrsNBu51nU#t=1m15s)

AlterForm
2010-05-12, 06:08 PM
Please explain your network layout. Wireless?

Generally you can search for the model name of your wireless router and "default password" or something similar. This will net a default router password, which will probably allow you to log (if you haven't changed it) in if you point your browser to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. Then there will be some wireless settings tab where you can specify the password for your wireless network. Possibly it will show you the existing password.

Wireless routers generally also have several ethernet ports in the back. No password is required to connect the computer physically to these.

You could also perform a factory reset on your router. Probably a small, recessed button on the back of the box that requires a pen or similar instrument to depress. Hold it until the lights blink or something, and the router will be as it was the day you pulled it out of the box.

Erloas
2010-05-12, 06:14 PM
Most of the time you can open up the properties for a wireless connection and under the security tab they will have type, encryption, and security key. Normally the security key is masked, but they have an option to show the security key without the mask.

Otherwise its easiest to just reset the router to the default settings and reset the password. Its usually a little inset hole that says reset by it and has to be pushed with something small like a paper clip.

RS14
2010-05-12, 06:36 PM
You could also perform a factory reset on your router. Probably a small, recessed button on the back of the box that requires a pen or similar instrument to depress. Hold it until the lights blink or something, and the router will be as it was the day you pulled it out of the box.

I don't recommend this unless you know enough about the router to reconfigure whatever you break by resetting it.

AlterForm
2010-05-12, 06:47 PM
I don't recommend this unless you know enough about the router to reconfigure whatever you break by resetting it.

It is an admittedly desperate tactic, but about the only things any user of any experience below "very technical" would have changed would be the router name, password, forwarded ports, and maybe the channel frequency.

Still, +1 for my plan being "not recommended."

nooblade
2010-05-12, 06:59 PM
Here's hoping the download hassle is worthwhile. Figures it would take 1-4 hours.

I keep hearing good things about Portal, but my instincts tell me that there isn't much to it (for the admittedly rare person like myself) beyond the Physics gimmicks (here's betting that university courses in Kinematics will feature the cubes as projectiles) shown in the demonstration video and some internet memes (go to the store and buy your stupid cake already). So now I guess I'll test my instincts.

Breltar
2010-05-12, 07:27 PM
Here's hoping the download hassle is worthwhile. Figures it would take 1-4 hours.

I keep hearing good things about Portal, but my instincts tell me that there isn't much to it (for the admittedly rare person like myself) beyond the Physics gimmicks (here's betting that university courses in Kinematics will feature the cubes as projectiles) shown in the demonstration video and some internet memes (go to the store and buy your stupid cake already). So now I guess I'll test my instincts.

To be honest the puzzles are interesting and though they do make use of the 'physics gimmicks' they are challenging enough to where you will continue to play it.

The storyline is rather intriguing as you find out more and more along the way as well.

It is probably taking so long to download because EVERYONE is downloading it that doesn't already have it.

Nevitan
2010-05-12, 07:38 PM
:biggrin:
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, I very well may have missed it!

Tavar
2010-05-13, 10:48 AM
Well, I downloaded it last night, but now I'm stuck on Map 15. Got through the first...3 areas, but now I can't get through one of those fields.

SparkMandriller
2010-05-13, 11:20 AM
Some of the challenge maps in this were pretty fun. The rest, not so much. But hey, I guess making good levels in a game like this would be pretty tricky, and it's not like I paid anything for it, so...

Muz
2010-05-13, 12:08 PM
Awesome! I shall spread the word to the uninfected... :smallbiggrin:

...Great, now I've got that damned song in my head. :smalleek:

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-13, 12:21 PM
Valve is pretty ingenious when it comes to getting people to download Steam.

Volatar
2010-05-13, 12:52 PM
By the way. All you guys going the hard route with Portal...

If you hit download on portal, what it really does is "buy" Portal for $0.00, then install it. Just hit download on one computer, even if it can't play it, then delete. You then own it on Steam and can download it at will like any other game you own.

Totally Guy
2010-05-13, 12:55 PM
All I'm getting is a Steam program that tells me I can't connect to a server...

Rockphed
2010-05-13, 01:00 PM
All I'm getting is a Steam program that tells me I can't connect to a server...

I got that a lot yesterday too. I have since managed to connect and get the thinger working.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-13, 01:00 PM
Usually that just means that the steam servers are being slammed and you should try again later.

Totally Guy
2010-05-13, 01:12 PM
I'll try again when I inevitably wake up at 5:00 on Saturday morning.

Gamerlord
2010-05-13, 01:44 PM
Even as I am typing this, I am downloading it.

It will be my first steam download.

Breltar
2010-05-13, 02:26 PM

Welcome to a new realm of not even having to go to a store to buy a new game on sale.... it is scary as much as it is glorious.

AlterForm
2010-05-13, 02:32 PM
By the way. All you guys going the hard route with Portal...

If you hit download on portal, what it really does is "buy" Portal for $0.00, then install it. Just hit download on one computer, even if it can't play it, then delete. You then own it on Steam and can download it at will like any other game you own.

You don't even need to install Steam or login to your account through it either, I don't think. I managed to get it on my second account simply by logging in through the Steam Store in firefox.

Lord Seth
2010-05-13, 03:20 PM
Huh. Here I was thinking I'd have to use CrossOver to play Portal on my Mac, but now it works natively? Cool...

EDIT: ...but opening the steam.dmg file doesn't do anything. Am I missing something obvious?

EDIT2: Never mind, now it's opening. No idea what happened there...

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-13, 05:19 PM
Thanks to everyone that helped me with the connection issues I had. Portal downloading now, and set to finish about 9:30.

Just in time for me not to be able to play it because I have to go to sleep for school tomorrow, but at least I have it now. :smallsmile:

YPU
2010-05-13, 07:45 PM
Dell doubled the gaming power of my spanking new laptop for free, and portal is free now. THERE IS A GOD!

sorry, I'm not sure but whatever happened to my body there usually takes a lot more panorama photos to reach.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-13, 07:54 PM
Portal? Free?

Yes please. Looks like I finally get to play it! :smallbiggrin:

Makensha
2010-05-13, 09:34 PM

Bingo

Me too!

I will now bravely go where I've never gone before... Own a game less than 4 years old. Now the question is if my computer will run it.

AlterForm
2010-05-13, 09:35 PM

Being a corporate shill never felt so good.

Breltar
2010-05-14, 09:24 AM
Bingo.
I will now bravely go where I've never gone before... Own a game less than 4 years old. Now the question is if my computer will run it.

The main reason they are doing this is to get more mac users into steam. With the new interface for steam and now games available for mac this is the perfect way to get word spreading so they can maximize their efforts.

deuxhero
2010-05-14, 09:33 AM
Meh. Already got it.

Totally Guy
2010-05-14, 10:13 AM
I get it now... It's like an iTunes but for games...

I've got it working. It's pretty good so far. But I mistimed a jump and the death water killed me.

JediSoth
2010-05-14, 10:28 AM
Such awesome news. And unlike Mechwarrior 4, I was actually able to get the game to download and install in less than 20 minutes! (Still haven't been able to get the Mechwarrior 4 free download started).

Yay Valve!

Now....get back to work on Half-Life 2: Episode 3 and finish the darn thing!

Breltar
2010-05-14, 11:48 AM
Such awesome news. And unlike Mechwarrior 4, I was actually able to get the game to download and install in less than 20 minutes! (Still haven't been able to get the Mechwarrior 4 free download started).

Yay Valve!

Now....get back to work on Half-Life 2: Episode 3 and finish the darn thing!

Mechwarrior had a patch the other day that may fix your issues. I would suggest a full uninstall and reinstall of the MTX program if you do it.

They have a few other games available for mac users like torchlight and world of goo.

Totally Guy
2010-05-14, 12:31 PM
I'm not happy that it can't be used offline.

Right now (and every day between 16:00 and 24:00) my connectivity is limited to browsing websites only. That's why I couldn't log onto Steam.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-14, 02:19 PM

Yes it can. I just played up to the penultimate level, and at least half of that way offline.

AlterForm
2010-05-14, 02:28 PM

Right now (and every day between 16:00 and 24:00) my connectivity is limited to browsing websites only. That's why I couldn't log onto Steam.

Main Window --> "Steam" menu --> "Go Offline"

Gamerlord
2010-05-14, 02:48 PM
Welcome to a new realm of not even having to go to a store to buy a new game on sale.... it is scary as much as it is glorious.

Or buy it from amazon and wait foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever for it to come....it is a new era of awesome.

Rockphed
2010-05-14, 06:57 PM
Dag! Level 18 was hard. Also, the final test was insanely annoying. One of the spheres was stuck hanging in the air in a really hard to get to spot. I did finish with a minute left, though I am unsure what happened to my character afterward. Also, death stinks.

Cristo Meyers
2010-05-14, 09:08 PM
Guess I don't have any excuse anymore.

Only about 4 and a half hours to go...:smallwink:

Mando Knight
2010-05-14, 09:19 PM
I did finish with a minute left, though I am unsure what happened to my character afterward.

No one's quite sure. That's what a good deal of the Wild Mass Guessing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/Portal) is about...

Breltar
2010-05-15, 08:54 AM
Dag! Level 18 was hard. Also, the final test was insanely annoying. One of the spheres was stuck hanging in the air in a really hard to get to spot. I did finish with a minute left, though I am unsure what happened to my character afterward. Also, death stinks.

Yes, death does stink.

Portal 2 is supposed to come out in the near future, also portal is linked to the Half Life 2 series as well.

Makensha
2010-05-15, 10:37 AM
Well, I found my answer. My computer hates Portal. Every time a portal comes in to view, the frame rate drops to about 2/s. Everytime a large area comes to view, the framerate drops to about 1/s. A combination of the two causes sounds to go on repeats while the game changes frames every once in a while. And yes, this is playing at minimum settings :(.

This is probably because I'm currently relying on integrated graphics. My graphics card died a few months ago and I don't think the computer will last much longer, so I'm stuck till I get a new one.

Breltar
2010-05-15, 03:10 PM
Well, I found my answer. My computer hates Portal. Every time a portal comes in to view, the frame rate drops to about 2/s. Everytime a large area comes to view, the framerate drops to about 1/s. A combination of the two causes sounds to go on repeats while the game changes frames every once in a while. And yes, this is playing at minimum settings :(.

This is probably because I'm currently relying on integrated graphics. My graphics card died a few months ago and I don't think the computer will last much longer, so I'm stuck till I get a new one.

Yeah the portal renders what the other end is showing and the large rooms are probably killing your integrated card.

Volatar
2010-05-15, 10:38 PM
The source engine will pretty much run on any dedicated graphics card in the last 5-6 years quite well, but integrated graphics not so much.

Lord Seth
2010-05-16, 12:36 AM
Well, thanks to the Mac port, I've finally been able to play through Portal. Woohoo! It wasn't as amazing as I've seen some people make it out to be but it's still a very good game, and of a good length too.

Apparently Valve is planning to release the Half-Life series for Mac also; really looking forward to that.

Such awesome news. And unlike Mechwarrior 4, I was actually able to get the game to download and install in less than 20 minutes! (Still haven't been able to get the Mechwarrior 4 free download started)How the heck did you get it in 20 minutes? It took me hours, and it was downloading at 250 KB/s minimum (sometimes it would go much higher, pretty sure it hit 600 KB/s for a while).

Draconi Redfir
2010-05-16, 12:56 AM
i shall use my portal gun to go inside eavy Mac computer, and break it from the inside! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* hahahahaha!.... ha...

but yeah, protal. free. best way of getting pepole to buy a sequal i've ever seen :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2010-05-16, 02:32 AM
How the heck did you get it in 20 minutes? It took me hours, and it was downloading at 250 KB/s minimum (sometimes it would go much higher, pretty sure it hit 600 KB/s for a while).

Presumably he has a faster connection than you? The download speed given in the Steam client is a bit of a con, incidentally, because it doesn't match the actual transfer rate over the connection--I assume the data is compressed and the speed given in the client is how fast it's getting the uncompressed data. (For instance, the Steam client claimed I was downloading at 450kB/sec on my 3Mbit connection--the Windows network monitor showed a much more achievable 180kB/sec download rate).

Breltar
2010-05-16, 04:37 PM
Presumably he has a faster connection than you? The download speed given in the Steam client is a bit of a con, incidentally, because it doesn't match the actual transfer rate over the connection--I assume the data is compressed and the speed given in the client is how fast it's getting the uncompressed data. (For instance, the Steam client claimed I was downloading at 450kB/sec on my 3Mbit connection--the Windows network monitor showed a much more achievable 180kB/sec download rate).

I get a 1.2mb/s download connection rate to steam with my connection, which is almost my maximum bandwidth allocation.

Fri
2010-05-17, 01:07 AM
how do this work again? do you need internet connection to play after you download the game?

Rutskarn
2010-05-17, 01:28 AM
Nope, not really. You can start Steam in offline mode and run the game just fine.

JediSoth
2010-05-17, 09:04 AM

Well, I don't know what my connection speed actually is. We have a cable modem, and I think I downloaded it at off-peak hours. Generally, I get very good throughput where I am.

Zen Master
2010-05-17, 11:02 AM

Now also works on Macs.

I didn't read through the thread to spot if anyone pointed this out. I'm just going to post, to make sure:

Portal is free for download, because - Portal 2 is right around the corner. Which is even more awesome.

JediSoth
2010-05-17, 01:54 PM
For some odd reason, I never felt compelled to purchase Portal when it was released. Possibly because Team Fortress 2 didn't appeal to me and I couldn't justify buying the Orange Box since I had Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 already.

Then Portal was released by itself, and I still didn't buy it because it was $20 and I heard it was a very short game (indeed, I got through all the test chambers in less than 3 hours in my first playthrough, not counting the Advanced Chambers).

It's not that I doubted Valve. I was just....foolish.

I just hope Portal 2 will run on my current PC. I'm not sure I'll have a new one before its release.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-18, 06:07 PM
Yeah, beat it!

That was a fun game - not worth $10 or however much they're charging for it, but it was fun.