PDA

View Full Version : Oh god I am feeling materialistic

Ranna
2010-05-12, 03:45 PM
So I have never started a thread before its a little scary..

Anyway the reason I am starting said thread is a futile attempt to ignore the many clothing pages I have up on my browser.. book marked at my key items that I am SURE will make my life better.

Problem: I haz no moniez!!!!!

So how do you guys get over the agonising wilt of the materialistic want in your life... and what is it that you agonise over?

Me... I want a pink Louis Vutton scarf... and a bag.. and this cute dress that will never be worn again after this summer, and a top and lots of knickers and some sling back shoes, and a hat (i never ever wear hats, still have a collection though) also could do with some new jeans more tops omg and swimwear!!! (no I have no holidays planned but you never know....)

Alteran
2010-05-12, 04:21 PM
...oh. I was expecting a schism over the acceptance of consciousness as a product of purely physical phenomena.

While clothes have never really been what brings out the materialist in me, I'm certainly familiar with this kind of situation. For me, it's things like video games, electronics, along with all sorts of things that I can't really fit into a few simple categories. We're surrounded by so many things that we're told we need, it's not hard to find ourselves agreeing. The best solution I've found is to force myself to be pragmatic. Whenever I have an irrational desire for something I don't really need, I make myself reason out just how little I would get from owning it. This may not help you, but I've always found it to help me. This kind of materialism runs mostly on gut reaction, and by forcing myself to think and evaluate, I find that I'm more able to overcome my automatic reactions. It also like to think of the money I'd be wasting if I bought whatever thing I'm pining over. I like having things, but I also like having money.

And of course, sometimes I cave. It's fine to do that at times, as long as you keep it in moderation.

Totally Guy
2010-05-12, 04:42 PM
I always thought I'd be struggling for money so I have formed a habit of quelling my desires for worldly goods.

Now I have to tell myself that it's ok to spend money on things I want. It's not as if I'll go hungry or anything... I've been more confident in my ability to make more.

I do make sure I'm not buying things I'll regret owning though. I don't want to waste my time surrounding myself with items that are unworthy of my ownership. It might sound a little crazy but I like to turn marketing upon its head, I'll not have a product say "Buy me and be fulfilled", it has to say "I'm worthy of your ownership". They sound similar but I make it so I'm the boss, not a physical object.

pinwiz
2010-05-12, 04:45 PM
Guitars and Cars are my materialistic vices. Of course, i'm a poor college student, so i can't even contemplate having enough money for my wish list of either of these. I have the car i want right down to the year and color, and there are just so many awesome guitars that i couldn't just pick one.

Though my girlfriend does know what you're talking about. I've had to pull her out of expensive clothing stores while practically dragging her. She can be very stubborn. :smallcool:

Quincunx
2010-05-12, 04:53 PM
Hobbies help. First you get the fun of selecting and buying, and then of owning the raw material to make something! Extra thrills for the same purchase price! (Plus tools and accessories.) And if I can't get exactly what I want now, I can go back to the item I bought which was exactly right for when I bought it and bask in a remembered glow of all things being as they were meant to be. Also, fabric just lends itself to being admired and petted. It's harder to pet and admire a dress.

Would you believe you can get authentic-trademarked-luxury name brand fabric if you look online? In itself it's still expensive, but a fraction of the price of the ready-made garment, and even if you can't sew a stitch you can still finish the edges of a piece and have yourself a Pucci item at $89/yard. . .and 30% off if the Mother's Day sale is still running. Ooo, shouldn't've looked. Not at all.

SurlySeraph
2010-05-12, 05:34 PM
Focus on the stuff you already have. Go through your possessions, find the great stuff that you forgot you had or never really use anymore, and wear/ turn on/ otherwise utilize it. Or, if you don't have any old stuff you like, sell the old stuff you don't like on Ebay, give it to a thrift shop or charity, or just throw it out.

Or throw yourself into a non-shopping-related pursuit, like... well... damn near anything.

Or read up on statistics from charities to determine exactly how many children could be vaccinated for the price of that dress.

As for stuff I want, I have a survivalist bent. Camping equipment (especially backpacks and small winter tents), water filters, and the ever-present temptation to get a bunch of MREs or buy some rice and beans to store in bulk even though I know I'd never eat through them. And weapons, of course, but I don't want a gun enough to go through the numerous hassles it would entail. And while a 1970 Gerber Mark II would be totally awesome, I have enough knives and have far better uses for that $700.

Starscream
2010-05-12, 05:47 PM
I've been broke for most of my life, so even though I'm making good money now I tend to not buy very much.

It's not that I'm cheap or anything, I just tend to forget that it's an option now. I'm so used to thinking "Maybe I'll get one of those someday" that it can take a while for me to realize "Wait, I can just get it now."

Also, I hate shopping. Despise it. I only shop if I know exactly where I'm going and what I'm buying. The internet is a boon there, as I can find the item I'm looking for almost immediately, and either order it or find a place to buy it just as quickly. And even shopping online annoys me if it takes more than a few minutes.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-05-12, 07:28 PM
Have you tried looking for stuff in thrift stores/ValueVillages? The stuff is older but there's some pretty nice stuff there.

And Seraph, buy a supply of new beans that will keep for six months* and that you'll be able to live off for 3 months if you ration yourself. Then work them into your food as sidedishs or whatever for the next six months, buying more at the end of each week so you always have about 3 months of food. Once you have stuff that will expire at different times eat the oldest beans first. Ta-da! Now you'll aways have a few months of canned food.

*These numbers are made up (I don't have the exact shelflife of canned beans) but it should work.

Coidzor
2010-05-12, 08:30 PM
I put my focus on music and girls. I either lose myself in listening to music or I'll just sing.

The girls thing usually bites me in the ass though, considering that it either leads to misery or spending money.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-12, 08:59 PM
Being pretty much poor, I've gotten really good at telling myself that there is no way I'm getting something I want. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that I don't still want it. What's worse is that I always want really expensive things. I want a new bass, but rather than a simple 4 string, I would kill for a 5 string bass so I can finally learn some songs by skillet. I'd like to fix up my car, but what I REALLY want is a Lotus Exige ($80,000 2 seater ftw). I can't stay away from new video games either (Currently, I'm wanting Halo: Reach and ODST, Gears of War 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Starcraft 2, Forza 3, and Madden or NCAA 11)

Thankfully, I don't have to tell myself not to buy these things because I simply can't. I don't have enough money to even think that it might be a possibility.

Zocelot
2010-05-12, 09:03 PM
Some people choose a life of asceticism, and they can be quite happy. I hope one day to join their ranks, or alternatively become filthy rich. Either way, I don't have to worry about money.

I spend money here and there, and eventually I run out. I decide to go to a concert, and buy some hobby stuff online and suddenly I have no money left.

Pocketa
2010-05-12, 09:05 PM
Photoshop will become your best friend. Also, borrow clothes from friends. And, get gifts from friends, and be friends with people with expendable cash, if that's a big deal for you. Not to judge, just saying.

Moff Chumley
2010-05-12, 11:03 PM
Do what I do: steal clothes from your friends. Alternatively, sell clothes you don't want to fund new ones.

Also, what Pocketa said.

Coidzor
2010-05-12, 11:44 PM
Have you tried looking for stuff in thrift stores/ValueVillages? The stuff is older but there's some pretty nice stuff there.
Takes a bit of work, but then, when has looking good not taken work? I can attest that there is a man in my choir who is quite dapper on a regular basis and who has acquired most of the clothing I have seen him in at a local thrift store called St. Vincent de Paul's. They don't have them where I'm from originally so I have no idea how widespread they are. Might be something in the region of the country I'm in now, or even just the state.

And Seraph, buy a supply of new beans that will keep for six months* and that you'll be able to live off for 3 months if you ration yourself. Then work them into your food as sidedishs or whatever for the next six months, buying more at the end of each week so you always have about 3 months of food. Once you have stuff that will expire at different times eat the oldest beans first. Ta-da! Now you'll aways have a few months of canned food.

Canned beans can last for years, if you eat them at any rate all, then you don't have to worry about them going bad in your life time. They can drop from optimum quality, but then, what canned foods are at optimum quality to begin with? Dried beans can be more readily acquired in bulk and as long as they're stored in a safe, dry environment, they'll keep as well. Especially if they're in a more contained environment. But even just in the sack as long as it's not open to vermin and not in a humid place, they'll stay good for at least a couple of months, and more likely into the year or so.

Large sack beans and rice, say in the 20 pound varieties can add up to about 30-40 dollars and provide a complete protein (with proper bean selection... I believe red beans and rice form a complete protein) for many meals for a single person.

pinwiz
2010-05-13, 01:21 AM
I want a new bass, but rather than a simple 4 string, I would kill for a 5 string bass so I can finally learn some songs by skillet. I'd like to fix up my car, but what I REALLY want is a Lotus Exige ($80,000 2 seater ftw).

Both of those things are awesomesauce. 5 string basses are a kick to play, even though for my style it's usually just a novelty, and Lotuses are just win.:smallbiggrin:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-05-13, 05:49 AM
So how do you guys get over the agonising wilt of the materialistic want in your life... and what is it that you agonise over?
Well, I look carefully and my WANTS and NEEDS. I want a place of my own, new furniture, lots of new clothes, lots of "toys," such as console games and many, many books. My needs include silly things like insulin and food. As a result, I can easily forgo my desires with the thought, You can get the things you want...or die. It's pretty easy after that. :smallwink:

thubby
2010-05-13, 05:58 AM
i drool over games, mostly.
and audio equipment, because that stuff is just stupidly expensive 0,o

i usually get over it by going really in-depth into some new subject.

Graymayre
2010-05-13, 06:27 AM
I don't really care about one particular item. What I really want is the capacity to have whatever item I wish at anytime.

it's a good thing replicators will exist in the next 50 or so years.

Da Beast
2010-05-13, 06:50 AM
So I have never started a thread before its a little scary..

Anyway the reason I am starting said thread is a futile attempt to ignore the many clothing pages I have up on my browser.. book marked at my key items that I am SURE will make my life better.

Problem: I haz no moniez!!!!!

Me... I want a pink Louis Vutton scarf... and a bag.. and this cute dress that will never be worn again after this summer, and a top and lots of knickers and some sling back shoes, and a hat (i never ever wear hats, still have a collection though) also could do with some new jeans more tops omg and swimwear!!! (no I have no holidays planned but you never know....)

You buy underwear over the internet :smallconfused:?

Pyrian
2010-05-13, 01:53 PM
In risk of getting lynched by the rest of you...

I have a ton of miniatures I've never assembled, nevermind painted. I have movies I've never watched. I have games I've never played. I have artwork - some of it fantastic - sitting around waiting for a frame or wall space. When I go to buy something new, I often find myself thinking, "Really? Am I really going to use that, enjoy that, get any worth out of that beyond the momentary satisfaction of taking it home?"

Cleverdan22
2010-05-13, 02:01 PM
The thing I tend to do, though I don't know why it helps, is make lists. I frequent places like Thinkgeek, and there are tons of cool things on there. I have a bookmark folder marked "cool stuff" and I hold everything cool from the internet I want there. When I purchase something, I delete the bookmark and move on. I do the same with video games when I feel I'm getting behind. I guess it just makes it more manageable to have a clear list in front of me.

arguskos
2010-05-13, 02:07 PM
I feel unusual. My only real vice anymore is food, to which I am shamelessly addicted. Not just because without it I would be dead, but because I am a gourmet without shame. I love diverse and good food, and will happily throw good money after bad in the pursuit of it. :smallsigh:

I am an embarrassment to my family and friends because of this habit at times. Still, it's delicious, so I don't mind overmuch.

deuxhero
2010-05-13, 02:22 PM
I think "designer" clothes are stupid. I could replace my entire wardrobe for the cost of one of those things, and what are the benefits of them? None!

GolemsVoice
2010-05-13, 03:54 PM
Finding myself enormously wealthy for a 20-year old soon-to-be student at an university, and being, at the same time, a person who doesn't like to spend large sums but is prone to spending many small sums every day, I have set myself a limit. I will not get under this limit unless I know I either need the thing I want to buy for something (like photographs for my passport, moving if it should get to this, rent etc.) or I know that I will fill it up again soon, for example at the end of the month when my paycheck comes in.

Linkavitch
2010-05-13, 03:58 PM
Guitar at the end of the summer and video games are the two things I'm buying right now. Otherwise, saving for college.

Pyrian
2010-05-13, 04:11 PM
...I have set myself a limit. I will not get under this limit unless......Wait, you set yourself a lower limit? :smallconfused:

Quincunx
2010-05-14, 04:29 AM
Cash reserve, not budget.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-05-14, 04:50 AM
...Wait, you set yourself a lower limit? :smallconfused:
Well, hey, it is hard being rich, but you do have to force yourself to spend once in a while so you don't suddenly end up with a last season Ferrari. That would make you the laughingstock of the whole Hamptons.

potatocubed
2010-05-14, 05:00 AM
It's video games for me. Because I typically pick up RPGs and other games with hours and hours and hours of gameplay, it's rare for me to finish one before the next shiny thing comes along.

I've got lots of things I do to curb this tendency: whenever I go to buy something online, for example, I always open my online banking first and stare at the very small number in my current account. I never pay full price for a game, either: I'm patient enough to wait for most of them to fall in price or to pick up a second-hand copy later on. Ebay is my friend. :smallsmile:

Or there's the other trick: buy a game, make a concerted effort to play it through in a day or two, then sell it again before it depreciates too much. (Again, Ebay is my friend.) I got the full Batman: Arkham Asylum experience for ~£10 that way.

...and then sometimes I just say "sod it" and spend a few hundred quid on games and books and anime and comics and food. Life is short, and I want to enjoy it.

Tyrandar
2010-05-14, 05:18 AM
Officially have Madonna's "Material Girl" stuck in my head. Hope you're happy. :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, my vice tends to be any (relatively) big impulse purchases. I'm like a magpie, but for electronics.

GolemsVoice
2010-05-14, 05:52 AM
...Wait, you set yourself a lower limit?

Hm? I set myself a limit of how much cash I want to save for studying and all the costs it will bring with it, and for a visit to the USA as well. Where's the problem with that?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-05-14, 10:47 AM
It's all about willpower. There's a good bit of things I'd like to have but can't afford to get a the moment. I usually go walk around whatever store I want something at, and usually have an internal conversation saying, I really want it, but I shouldn't get it. More often than not common sense prevails and I decide not to get whatever item I'd like to get, and leave. It's all about having enough self restraint to not get whatever you want, even though you'd like to.

Pyrian
2010-05-14, 12:46 PM
I set myself a limit of how much cash I want to save...Ah. :smallbiggrin: Sorry, I'm so used to people talking about their budget in terms of how much they allow themselves to spend that your strategy completely escaped me.

Trog
2010-05-15, 09:47 AM
Things that help:

Limit television or anything with ads in it. No ads, no Joneses to compare yourself to that are usually in the top 1% of the world's income earners. To that end, Install an AdBlocker plug-in on your preferred browser.

Limit your blog reading. If you have an RSS feed which sends you more than you can read in a half hour... or you visit more sites daily on your own... you need to trim back so you aren't overwhelmed. Many blogs post a LOT of times a day simply to keep you there and keep you reading... usually about products. Cut the ties with those that abuse the privilege of your time. Many times it's the equivalent of subscribing to an advertisement service. See above.

As for what to do when I do want something... or many things... beyond my means... or even within my means... I simply remind myself that a glut of stuff does not happiness make. The things you own end up owning you... so own less and be free.

And remember this:

An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. –Pliny the Younger (he was an ancient Greek, if you're not familiar. Funny how things don't change, eh?)

Thousands upon thousands are yearly brought into a state of real poverty by their great anxiety not to be thought of as poor. –Robert Mallett

That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. –Thoreau
*rolls plastic dice and imagines battles occurring with his friends* :smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2010-05-15, 12:12 PM
Well, hey, it is hard being rich, but you do have to force yourself to spend once in a while so you don't suddenly end up with a last season Ferrari. That would make you the laughingstock of the whole Hamptons.

I love you.