PDA

View Full Version : Character Idea: A bit Exotic, Need help!

Jane_Smith
2010-05-12, 04:45 PM
I have a idea for a character for a dnd game. However, I have played with people who have attempted this kind of character in the past and failed at it to the point I myself was disgusted with it before the session was over.

Now, however, the urge has struck me to play something I have never tried, had an urge to try, or even think of before - A angel. I dont think I have ever played a paladin, let alone a honest-to-goodness, well, good angel.

She will be a playable angel of course for lower-levels, a homebrewed/nerfed Monovic Deva. A angel from MM2-3 i think, or fiend-folio, i forgot, that has an ECL of 4. Im removing her racial hit dice, her special sword, and LA, and nerfing her ability score bonuses, spell-like abilities, etc, to be more on par with a aasimar with wings. Still within the LA range of +1 to +2, but much easier to sqeeze into a game then a ECL 4-5 for a race, right?

Anyway.

My only issue is, I fear giving this proposal to a dm.

Its like having someone joining a game as a troll or a half-ogre, people will -automatically- asume your going to suck, your a munchkin, or your going to disrupt gameplay with a mary-sue character. Or that they are a drizzt-wannabe. "Facepalm" syndrome quickly follows suit.

Its understandable, people will always feel that way about -really exotic- monster-races. Their is no cure for it, you have to simply earn their trust. Especially if the race is not one of the more apparent weaker ones like goblins, etc. I mean, its a ****ing -angel- for deitiy's sake. Im pretty sure their is at least one or more christians/religious folk on this site that has to feel like its sacrolidge to even play such a thing (Even moreso if all doesnt go as planned), and other people are going to simply think "Oh, she just wants to mary-sue some semi-godlike/divine being."

Im trying to avoid that, as best I can. Ive been in the "facepalm" chair before. If im going to attempt this, then im going to attempt it at my best and try not to get slapped around by a mob of angry roleplayers with FAIL-flails.

My only thoughts on making it merge well with a low/mid-level game, and not 'raise the ire' of other players are these, and id like more opinions from you guys if possible on how to make her more 'groupl friendly'/accepted.

1: Disguise her. Make her wear a heavy cloak/etc. She doesnt wish to draw attention to herself most likely because she doesnt want a mob trying to rip her feather's off for blessing trinkets. This is especially true in games where a plague, famine, or other large-scale "oh crap" event is happening where people are in histaria over a blessing or miracle of some kind to deliver them. She doesnt want to cause a scene, and while she would love to help, making a angry mob when her healing/etc power runs out and people want more is a well known way to make matters worse. Maybe not even the other players will discover her 'heritage' until later in the game (In-game of course, they will know OOC), after she has proven herself to the others and/or gained their trust.

2: Simple, beleivable, logical (if a bit heavy magic/celestial-filled) backstory. I need to make one, but i have no clues as to how right now except maybe she got lost from a larger group of angels who were in the mortal realm for some specific event, and she missed out on the Gate spell the leader used to go back to the celestial realms? Whatever made her come to the mortal realm, she has no way back except death of her current form, and im pretty sure she isnt to 'excited' about that concept.

In the future, by the time she has another oppurtunity to go back, which could be months, years, or several decades (based on DM whim), or another, continued campaign after the first, she might have found an attraction to a mortal player or maybe has a sense of duty about her current mission (if any), or has seen what has transpired with her time on the mortal realm and beleives, honestly, she will do better work in the mortal realm then back at celestia? If she dies, she will just go back anyway, so be a hero, even a hidden one, for as long as possible.
Anyway - purpose of the backstory must be clear, easy to understand, beleivable, and entertaining/well thought out as to releive other players/dm of the thought im not a complete nitwit trying to play a imba mary sue.

3: Limit skills? Biggest issue with this kinda character is, i need to show the other players im, ironically, NOT TRYING to be an all-powerful-god-bitch of allmighty divine intervention/dues-ex-machina purposions who will always be their to save their ass and capable of healing (as above stated in 1) famines, plagues, or BBEG attempts to conquer the world with a wave of my bloody hand. If I attempt to, then they will be confirmed in their suspicious i am just a munchkin/mary sue trying to get away with playing an angel for purely statistical reasons.
While i will ADMIT to being a munchkin, and a rules-whore? I REALLY, for rp-reasons, want to play an angel. Its an exciting idea to me. Make sense? My little roleplayer inside finds the idea... interesting, cute in a way, and I think a well-played angellic character in a group of mortals who sees/and is seen as equals would be a very fullfilling experience. I want to poke the idea!

But if i combine my munchkin/rules side with this really 'exotic' roleplaying idea... aka, playing anything but say, a evoker-caster or a fighter/paladin, such as a cleric or the like? Then she will get the kinda stigma people get towards say, pun pun or a half-ogre orc with a spiked chain just because of her added celestial heritage.

Lets face it, I want to play an angel for the flavour, but I still want to play -well- and optimize my character. While alot of hardcore rp'ers are fine with fully-randomized stats and weak ones at that, or even playing with commoner levels? That stuff makes me cringe. And even though, I know in my heart I can actually try to pull off both, and succeed on some level... other players will still likely feel intimidated/resentful/"facepalm" towards a good, exotic character and blame it on being imba/munchkin/rule-bendy, when the only thing i really want to "bend" the rules on is -nerfing- the race to be balanced and playable for lower levels.

So, my options are effectively - A: Play an angel and play well, and have people hate me for it even if im not as good as them, B: Play and angel and play it badly to prove im not mary-sueing/power-mad/munching and really want to rp, and have people mostly find me 'decent' but also im more prone to die/be hated for my weakness. Go figure. Or lastly, C: Play something else. But that hardly seems like a valid option at this point, cause I would still have the urge to play it and it would nag me until I did. :smallsigh: What to do, fellow playergrounders? What to do...

Any suggestions?
Any thoughts/tips/advice/etc?

Greenish
2010-05-12, 04:50 PM
Winged (template) Aasimar is +3 LA, which can be bought off (if you use that rule). Why doesn't it work?

You didn't have to homebrew stuff (homebrewing your own race as a player?), so that ought to be okay.

Alternatively, tell your DM that you want to play an angel and see what he comes up with.

Jane_Smith
2010-05-12, 05:32 PM
Main issue of the winged aasimar is, I actually want her to be a true outsider, with the same (general) system of abilities/weakness/strengths angels actually innately have (they go back to celestia if they die, only 'really' die if their killed there - at least, this is how it works in most settings outsiders). If any template im considering, is the Bounded template that makes outsiders stuck to the mortal realm and immune to banishments and the like unless they die (sometimes not even then), and thats -only-, and -only- if I decide to go with a background of "Summoning Gone Wrong/Haywire", which is one of my options im rolling over in my head.

(You know, person X tries to summon angel Y for event Z, X dies/distracted during Z and Y's summoning spell goes off at a cruical moment that makes a tiny 'oh****' of reality and simply teleports/gates instead of properly summoning her to the mortal realm? Seem reasonable any? x.x. "awizardidit" is a reasonable excuse in dnd games!!!)

That, and the winged template sucks. I dont want the dex-boost, the con-penalty I dont care about [as a sorcerer, meh. Its good, but it aint a vital stat in my eyes], and just flight for +2 la? I wanted to be able to play her in lower-level, 1-3 games. Plus, their is a -feat- that gives aasimar (or tieflings), flying speed of 50 with good maneuverability from races of faerun, and a few other sources (divine/fiendish heritage feats). Why waste LA on it?

If i did make it 'like a aasimar' and took the feat for wings/etc, id still want the dm to make me a full outsider with the angel subtype, so either way im gonna ask for a homebrew of sorts. I beleive in dnd and its infinite choices and vareities, when you play something, you should be a real something, not a copy-cat. :P Even if that something is nerfed the hell and back to be playable. (Like I said, i may want to play a angel for flavour, and i dont want to step on [many] toes, i am still a rules-whore. So while story-wise, a aasimar with wings would act/be a angel in character, in my eyes, it just wouldnt be the same. Im odd like that.)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-05-12, 05:37 PM
Hmmm...here's a thought, which also might help with the "exotic race" stuff.

Make an Aasimar feat that turns you into an angel (with another feat for the Tongues ability and another for the Aura). Maybe two feats (one with resistances, later advancing to immunities with the second feat).

Play an Aasimar angel, fluffed as an angel tethered to the mortal realm in human form. Some of the angelic glory shines through, but she cannot fly, is deprived of much of her unearthly power, and has no escape save for death.

Anyway, just thoughts.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-12, 06:17 PM
Racial advancement via Monster Levels maybe? Of course, you're talking a +6-ish LA & 6 HD.

Half-Celestial (+4 LA) seems more friendly to what you're doing. Reduce it to +3 LA by removing the Spell-like Abilities. Also note that the Daylight Effect is SU, but is "like the spell", so could qualify you for entry into anything that requires "able to cast 2nd level Divine Spell".
Perhaps even remove the Spell Resistance & DR (and overcoming magic DR with natural weapons) to reduce the LA by another point.

Jane_Smith
2010-05-12, 08:15 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8482064#post8482064

This was my idea for the variant "Deva" playable race. Please check it out/rate. ^..^

I had some friends of mine look at it already - its weaker then half-celestial (+4 la), stronger then aasimar (+1), weaker then half-dragon (+3), but slightly stronger then a drow (+2). So, we put it threw some very basic scenario's, etc, and decided it was a +2 la, though rimming along +3 (a good 2.7ish overall). That was just our opinions though, so hopefully more reveiws will have it narrow'ed down.

demidracolich
2010-05-12, 08:20 PM
You could also try one of the celestial monster classes in savage species or here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8029656&postcount=154.

gbprime
2010-05-12, 09:35 PM
Savage Species has a 20 level build for an Astral Deva. Page 155. It's exactly what you're looking for. You just have to fill in the feats. (I recommend light armor proficiency at level 1.)

Jane_Smith
2010-05-12, 09:54 PM
er... no thank you. Im sorry I did not mention this here, I just realized my mistake - I posted it on my deva-idea on the homebrew section.

I do not wish to use the savage species progress for any deva, including astral deva, due to their abilities focusing on weapons. You cant change them for something else without that also becoming a variant. That, and I really would prefere to take class levels as normal characters do, even if 2-5 levels late. A full 20 level progression for anything just kinda takes the fun out of it. If I wanted to be a fighter deva or a sorceress deva, id be effectively screwed. Well.. not so much on the FIGHTER part, but you get my point. I hate racial hit dice and all that as well, and I avoid it whenever possible. Ya, im picky. >.>

(Plus, just me, or is savage species kinda... whats the word for it? Underdeveloped? Seems to me their are alot of flaws in that book from other players ive talked to. Lots of little issues in it. Id rather not touch it.)

JeminiZero
2010-05-13, 07:50 AM
Suggestion:
1) Start with a Deep Imakari, Evermeet Elf or Ashane Spirit Folk
2) Apply the Dragonborn Template, with the Wings Aspect.
3) You still qualify as your original race for feats. Take the Otherworldly Feat (PGtF pg 41) at level 1. Your type now changes to Native Outsider.
4) Refluff your appearance to be angelic.

You now have Wings, Outsider type, and no LA, at the cost of your level 1 feat.

Greenish
2010-05-13, 08:06 AM
You now have Wings, Outsider type, and no LA, at the cost of your level 1 feat.But that's not special (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IJustWantToBeSpecial)!

Reynard
2010-05-13, 08:23 AM
I find it mildly depressing that someone wants help roleplaying as an angel, not a variant Aasimar, not a Dragonborn Elf/Deep Imakari/Ashane Spirit Folk, an angel. And people tell her not to and make fun of her, offering no actual help.

To try and not make myself a hypocrite, I'll try to help. You seem to be on the right lines already, but consider having your character make a vow, I don't mean taking an Exalted Vow Feat, just making a vow for roleplaying purposes and following it in-character.

Greenish
2010-05-13, 08:30 AM
I find it mildly depressing that someone wants help roleplaying as an angel, not a variant Aasimar, not a Dragonborn Elf/Deep Imakari/Ashane Spirit Folk, an angel. And people tell her not to and make fun of her, offering no actual help.She wants to play an angel, but not to be seen as a munckin, so people have been suggesting on how to make one within the bounds of rules. You don't need to have a class called "Samurai" to roleplay a samurai, after all.

Quietus
2010-05-13, 08:55 AM
If you want to be seen as something more than "Woo, I'm an Angel, look how awesome I am!", then you need to have something of substance behind that. So, ask yourself this : Outside of its race, WHAT and WHO is the character you're wanting to play?

Ultimately, the HOW of creating it... doesn't matter. "I used the Winged template, and got my DM to give permission to be an Outsider[Angel]" is just as valid as "I'm an Aasimar with wings", and "I'm a refluffed nomadic deva with most of its abilities stripped". Your crunch requirements seem to be : You want wings, and the natural tie to Celestia than Angels have. That stuff, you'll have to talk to your DM about. If a player came to me with a SOLID CHARACTER, who happened to be an Angel, and wanted those? I'd be willing to bargain. But if they come to me with "Woo, Angel!", I'd toss them out the window and deny them their wings.

Doc Roc
2010-05-13, 09:25 AM
But that's not special (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IJustWantToBeSpecial)!

Deep Imakari, Evermeet Elf or Ashane Spirit Folk are:

Nearly Extinct.
A Ruined Race.
Rare Kami Half-breeds.

urbanpirate
2010-05-13, 12:41 PM
if you can get the dm to take off the racial hd (perhaps you came as part of a party sent to kill a shadow dragon or some other energy draining bad dude) the problem gets much easier.

What level is the party?
are there any other exotics in play?
is the world you play in highly superstitious or high magic enough to accept winged chicks cruising thru town?

TimeWizard
2010-05-13, 02:18 PM
I don't have the nitty-gritty knowledge to help you make an angel, but can help you become accepted into your party. The answer is surprisingly simple- other players. Human greed being what it is no one wants to not be special or weak because we don't want to be taken advantage of, we are inherently selfish. However, you can use selfishness to your advantage if you liberally employ the "super sneaky make-others-special-stratagem". In a word: Buff them.

Oh yeah. Everyone loves buffs. Find any way to make Johnny Powerattack's greatsword catch on fire and he'll really like you for it. Go out of your way to set up flank for Billy Backstabber and he'll toss you the nod in between his smug smirking. Intercept the charge aimed at Fiona Fireball'em and you get #1 fan club status. Is it deep, reciprocated trust? No. But if your group is eye-rolling to the extent that you don't feel comfortable playing your idea, you probably weren't going to build that trust with them anyhow.

Jane_Smith
2010-05-13, 03:51 PM
I found a game, i havent been 'offically' accepted yet, but the dungeon master has approved of my ideas so far (3.5 Hell on Earth on this site, pair-of-dice-lost is running it). Also, im using my varient deva race and a slightly modified one-winged-angels (From wotc forums) variant paladin. Everything seems balanced so far. Level 12 game.

Also, everyone else thats trying to get recruited have some kinda paragon path... Nearly -every-, single, one of them. I suddenly feel less exotic/'special'. :P Thats a good thing, right?

@Timewizard: Basically, she has more aura's then... a.. aurian? >.> Devotion aura, aura of courage/faith/etc, and spells like magic circle against evil, so on. So thats a nice start for group buffing...

As for the other things for helping out, all those fit perfectly fine within her abilities and attitude. Also, i do have some plain, non-statistical/exalted vows that, according to my sources, all angel's follow - cannot tell a lie, they cannot let another being suffer, they exsist to serve and protect, to show humility in all things, so on. So, in character, she would easily sacrifice herself to protect even someone in the group that despises her in-game/oocly. And everybody loves a well time lay on hands, right? ^.^

Greenish
2010-05-13, 04:02 PM
…cannot tell a lieThat's what they said about Aes Sedai…

So, jedi truths then? :smallbiggrin:

Jane_Smith
2010-05-13, 04:10 PM
Shes restricted from lying. She isnt restricted to having to answer. :P

hamishspence
2010-05-13, 04:17 PM
How about the Protectar from Miniatures Handbook? It's a 2 Hit Dice winged humanoid Celestial, that can be of any Good alignment, and is LA +3: so it's ECL 5.

Critical
2010-05-13, 04:31 PM
{Scrubbed}

Jane_Smith
2010-05-13, 05:28 PM
Is that really necessary?

urbanpirate
2010-05-13, 08:16 PM
I found a game, i havent been 'offically' accepted yet, but the dungeon master has approved of my ideas so far (3.5 Hell on Earth on this site, pair-of-dice-lost is running it). Also, im using my varient deva race and a slightly modified one-winged-angels (From wotc forums) variant paladin. Everything seems balanced so far. Level 12 game.

Also, everyone else thats trying to get recruited have some kinda paragon path... Nearly -every-, single, one of them. I suddenly feel less exotic/'special'. :P Thats a good thing, right?

@Timewizard: Basically, she has more aura's then... a.. aurian? >.> Devotion aura, aura of courage/faith/etc, and spells like magic circle against evil, so on. So thats a nice start for group buffing...

As for the other things for helping out, all those fit perfectly fine within her abilities and attitude. Also, i do have some plain, non-statistical/exalted vows that, according to my sources, all angel's follow - cannot tell a lie, they cannot let another being suffer, they exsist to serve and protect, to show humility in all things, so on. So, in character, she would easily sacrifice herself to protect even someone in the group that despises her in-game/oocly. And everybody loves a well time lay on hands, right? ^.^

sounds like you didn't need so much help after all

Runestar
2010-05-13, 09:16 PM
Alternatively, consider a LA+0 lesser assimar variant (PGTF) with the outsider wings feat (races of faerun). Or maybe play a PC with the savage progression of the half-celestial, which lets you slowly take it as and when you wish. It should be somewhere on wotc's website.

I would personally advise that you stay away from the astral deva monster class as well, mainly because it is fairly weak in combat.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-14, 09:19 AM
She wants to play an angel, but not to be seen as a munckin, so people have been suggesting on how to make one within the bounds of rules. You don't need to have a class called "Samurai" to roleplay a samurai, after all.

Try telling that to my old gaming group. :smallsigh: