PDA

View Full Version : WFRP - Karzad Ironfoot

littlebottom
2010-05-12, 06:51 PM
you dont have a last name so i made one up, you can keep that one or you can give me another and i will change the thread title

you quicken up your pace as you hear a scuttering echo from the distance behind you. you carry a vitally importanat message to be taken from the dwarven stronghold of Karak-Hirn in the edge of the black mountains to Karak-Norn in the grey mountains.

you have made it most of the way there, but the tunnels are long and your dark vision doesnt help you see much further than if you were carrying a torch anyway. the message is to be delivered to the stronghold to inform them of a possible attack from skaven. inteligence says that they have atleast 1 grey seer in their midst.

you have never run these tunnels before, but you have had no trouble finding your way around. you know that you are but 15 minutes or so of getting to the stronghold of Norn, but that scurrying and scuttering noise seems to be getting slightly louder. you pick up your pace yet again, remembering your honour is first and foremost to deliver this message, by any means nessisary.

after another minute, the tunnel splits, you can go either left or right, both head off in the general direction of Karak-norn, but your not sure which would be quicker. your heart pounds at the thought of what could be behind you, and that this desision may lead to your failiure.

Bowerbird
2010-05-13, 02:13 AM
Karzad does not slow down, hoping instead to rely on his instincts, lest the skittering hordes gain ground on him during his hesitation. He plunges down the right-hand fork, maintaining a swift pace. The message must get through, the fate of this Hold and the honour of he and his depends on it. His free hand reaches for his trusty axe just in case.

littlebottom
2010-05-13, 06:02 AM
as you run down the right path, you feel slightly reassured by the obviously dwarvan craftmanship in the tunnel starting to appear.

you notice the sound of movement behind you stop for a moment. you hear a squeak or two echo down the tunnel before scurrying starts up again, they are gaining on you and it seems they went down the right path.

after a few minutes you spot in the distance ahead of you a light, marking the entrance to the dwarvan stronghold of Karak-Hirn. but at that same moment you look behind you and notice the glinting of metal coming out of the darkness. you notice the eyes of a group of rats now glowing from the slight reflection of the light in the darkness. SKAVEN!

you are not but seconds away from the gate now, and a pair of shieldbreakers wait on the gate ahead of you. which is shut.

Bowerbird
2010-05-13, 07:39 AM
Seeing the glinting rodent eyes in the darkness behind him, Karzad redoubles his speed, pulling his axe out as he runs. He shouts a warning down the tunnel to the Shieldbreakers in the Dwarfen tongue, "Intruders! Attack! Make ready! Skaven!!" in the hopes that the warriors ahead may help him in the inevitable battle, or at least open the gate to allow him entrance.

littlebottom
2010-05-13, 05:22 PM
The shieldbreakers notice your hurried pace but quickly understand why when they see the skaven for themselves. "quick! skaven!" the one calls to the other, as they ready themselves and run towards the skaven.

after but a moment they pass you and clash with the skaven. hacking and stabbing from both sides ensues.

now that they have all come out of the darkness you can see there are about 8 skaven in total. this is no skaven army, but more likely assassins sent to chase down and kill the dwarf carrying the message of their plans.

the gates remain shut.

Bowerbird
2010-05-13, 10:27 PM
Seeing the gates still shut Karzad skids to a halt, turning and looking to where the shieldbreakers fight the skaven assassins, then looking back to the gates. He cries out in Khazalid, "I am Karzad Ironfoot, Runebearer of Karak-Norn! I bear a message for this hold, and Skaven are at your door!" he waits a few moments, to see whether this gets the door to open, if not he turns back to the fight, axe in hand, and prepares to wade in and help the shieldbreakers.

littlebottom
2010-05-14, 02:55 PM
the gate does not open. but by the time you had finished yelling the shieldbreakers had killed several of the skaven, although one broke off from the others and started running straight for you. he throws a dripping blade at you as he runs.

BS 41 [roll0]
damage [roll1]

which misses and bounces off the wall beside you. (your within range to move in and attack if you want)

Bowerbird
2010-05-14, 10:20 PM
Karzad roars a dwarfen curse as he hefts his axe and charges the rat-man, bringing his axe down as hard as he can towards it.

WS: [roll0] vs 47 +10 for charging = 57
Damage: [roll1]

littlebottom
2010-05-15, 09:11 AM
act as if it was a 10 on damage for this case, so that means ulrics fury, you roll again against WS (not including any pluses or minuses) if you succeed you roll another d10 worth of damage, if thats a 10, you get another d10 and again and again. you just need to pass your WS when you first do it after that, 10 just rolls over.

to make things quicker, i will do the roll myself, i hope you dont mind.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
ouch sorry, it didnt happen, but you got a 10 for damage first time anyway.

you deal 14 damage to the skaven, after TB and armour though thats only 9. his still standing.

on his go. he squirts the musk of fear and turns tail and runs away, fearing death from the mighty power of this dwarfs axe.

Bowerbird
2010-05-15, 11:13 AM
Karzad shouts a dwarven battlecry, charging after the injured Skaven, hoping to either hit it, or one of the Skaven fighting the shieldbreakers, whichever meets his axe first!

Charge action on the nearest Skaven I can erach, if none are in range then a move towards the fight.
WS: [roll0] vs 57

littlebottom
2010-05-15, 05:34 PM
you charge into battle missing the fleeing skaven. fortunately the shield breaker had a fine aim, and with a well placed throwing axe takes down the fleeing skaven. 3 are left standing.

Bowerbird
2010-05-15, 11:32 PM
Karzad swings his axe at the nearest Skaven, praying for a quick resolution to this battle.

WS: [roll0] vs 47

littlebottom
2010-05-16, 12:00 PM
the swing misses as the skaven hops out the way. at this moment, the shield breakers kill another skaven, the 2 remaining skaven decide to run.

the shield breakers continue to chase the skaven, hacking them down as they run.

they return a few moments later "well that takes care o' them then. you say your a runebarer from karak-hirn? well you best get inside quickly and deliver your message."

the shieldbreaker speaks into a pipe and a few moments later the gate begins to open "in yer go. and quickly incase more skaven come!"

Bowerbird
2010-05-16, 01:52 PM
"Thank you sirs, was a bit touch an' go before I got here, those bugger'd been trailing me for quite a ways," Karzad says as he heads into the gates, "Good fortune to ye!" he shouts to them as the gates swing closed behind him. Once inside he makes his way to his message's destination.

littlebottom
2010-05-16, 05:33 PM
you head to the heart of the stronghold, where the current ruler of the peak is situated.

a dwarf stops you from seeing him directly and asks what business you have here.

Bowerbird
2010-05-16, 11:32 PM
Karzad stops obediently, "I am Runebearer Karzad Ironfoot, of Karak-Hirn, I have a message for the ruler of Karak-Norn, from the stronghold of Karak-Hirn."

littlebottom
2010-05-17, 09:35 AM
"of what importance is the message? if it is not that important i will take it and relay it to him when he is less busy"

Bowerbird
2010-05-17, 10:15 AM
"The message is of the utmost urgency, and importance. Time is of the essence." Karzad says, standing resolutely at attention.

littlebottom
2010-05-17, 10:34 AM
"well we wernt expecting the message so i suppose it is of some importance. wait here one momet" he hurries off and wispers in the ear of the senior looking dwarf and walks back over to you "he will see you now"

as you approach you can tell he looks concerned but is also clearly busy, so he hopes its worth his time.

Bowerbird
2010-05-17, 10:55 AM
Karzad approaches the Head Dwarf with repect, bowing before handing over the message he had risked life and limb to deliver.

littlebottom
2010-05-17, 12:26 PM
he looks over it. his face changes from confusion to fear to absolute terror.

"no this cannot be! the skaven have amassed an army? they intend to take down Karak hirn first, then move swiftly onto karak norn before word got out... thank god you made it here. i wonder if we are still in time. infact. i have a job for you runebarer... sorry what was your name?"

Bowerbird
2010-05-17, 06:27 PM
"Karzad, milord, Karzad Ironfoot." says Karzad, patiently awaiting new orders.

littlebottom
2010-05-17, 06:31 PM
"Karzad? well Karzad Ironfoot, you are to go to nuln and warn them of the impending skaven invasion, there is some information about plans of attacking some human cities nearby after the holds have been attacked. i recon it best that we warn the humans now, so that they can help us if the need arises."

"but for now, please sleep the night here in the safety of karak-norn, rest your feet for soon you will be traveling far and wide."

Bowerbird
2010-05-17, 06:35 PM
"Thank you, milord." Karzad excuses himself to go and rest. heading towards the nearest inn.

littlebottom
2010-05-17, 06:38 PM
you are shown to a highly impressive... almost hotel like building, you are waited on hand and foot by dwarfs who have been informed of your important work and that you are to be given what you want.

Bowerbird
2010-05-18, 03:50 AM
During his downtime, Karzad checks around for some supplies to help make the trip to Nuln. Heavier armour, for when the Skaven again try and stop him. Some mail and heavy leather perhaps, and a shield. Extra rope is always handy, you can never have too much rope. Finally if he can wrangle it a horse and saddle to speed the journey, an transfer the customary ache in his feet to his backside. He lists these off to the Dwarf assigned to serve him, "Do you know if and where I could get a hold of such things?"

littlebottom
2010-05-18, 06:27 PM
"that is alot of stuff... but i think we can manage, that, it will be ready by your time of departure." he hurries off to start getting them ready.

its getting late now and your feet are still awfully tired.

Bowerbird
2010-05-18, 07:24 PM
Karzad grunts, "Good.." Now to take a load off my feet, and enjoy sleeping in a good Dwarfen bed while I can.. he thinks to himself, before lying back and relaxing. Eventually drifting off to sleep.

littlebottom
2010-05-18, 07:33 PM
the next morning you are awoken to a knock on your rooms door. and a muffled voice says "hi, im greta, ive been asked to give you your brekfast and... anything else you might want."

Bowerbird
2010-05-18, 07:47 PM
Karzad sits up with a grunt, "Ah excellent, breakfast! Now, do you know if they found me that horse yet?" he asks, seemingly oblivious to the underlying offer, as he accepts his breakfast.