PDA

View Full Version : Variant Movanic Deva - Play Project

Jane_Smith
2010-05-12, 08:09 PM
For a character concept im working on, I am wanting to play a angel. Not a powerful one, or one with a awesome starting magic sword or anything mary-suey like that. I just like the concept of them, and ive been itching to play one for a while.

I enjoy lower-level games, as such, I am attempting to sqeeze a CR 9 creature, with 6 racial hit dice and a unknown LA (it was never stated, but not because the race is overly op or anything) - the Movanic Deva from page 55-57 of the Fiend Folio.

This little angel is, supposedly, the weakest of all angels. The foot soldier, the fodder-unit, and the basic messenger/carrier/labourer of the divine realms. These poor, and little known angels are tasked as celestial 'guards' for the mortal realm, positive energy plane, and the negative energy plane, to see to the balance of exsistance and all that jazz. Sense so many games dont have 'positive or negative' energy planes of exsistance, my variant will not included any refrences to these or any specific traits or the like based on them. Instead, this version is purely a overseer to the mortal realm, and thus makes them the most 'human' of all angels in their attitude and personalities. This makes them much more likely to become currupt, or to basically tell overseers 'fawk you, ill do what I think is right'. Sounds fun already, eh?

Original stats -

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2084/bathkolbygenzoman.jpg

Movanic Deva
Medium-Size Outsider (Extraplanar, Good)
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft., fly 90 ft. (good)
AC: 22 (+4 Dex, +8 natural); touch 14, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: +1 flaming greatsword +11 melee
Full Attack: +1 flaming greatsword +11/+6 melee
Damage: +1 flaming greatsword 2d6+5 plus 1d6 fire
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Celestial Traits, DR 10/+1, divine equilibrium, fire resistance 20, heavenly deflection, immunities, outsider traits, protective aura, soothing pressence of nature, SR 19
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +10
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 18.
Skills: Balance +13, Concentration +11, Diplomacy +15, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (any three) +12, Listen +12, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +12, Spot +12
Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Weapon Focus (Greatsword)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground (upper planes)
Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: -
Alignment: Always good (any)
Advancement: 7-12 HD (medium size); 13-18 HD (large)

As the most numerous and weakest of their kind, movanic devas serve proudly as infantry against the hordes of evil. Tasked with serving the needs of the Positive Energy Plane, the Negative Energy Plane, and the Material Plane, some movanic devas consider themselves more wordly than their astral and monadic counterparts, since their travels grant them a better grasp of mortal affairs.
Slender and exceedingly agile, movanic devas have milky white skin and silvery hair and eyes. When at peace among mortals, they prefere to take the form of a humanoid or animal.

Spell-like Abilities: At will- Aid, Consecrate, Continual Flame, Create Food or Water, Death Ward, Detect Evil, Discern Lies, Polymorph Self, Prayer, Protection from Arrows; 3/day - Atonement, Bless Weapon, Cure Serious Weapons, Daylight, Divination, Ethereal Jaunt, Hallow, Holy Smite, Neutralize Poison, Plane Shift, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Remove Fear; 1/day - Commune, Raise Dead. Caster level 9th, save DC 14 + spell level. Charisma based.

Divine Equilibrium (Ex): Movanic devas are immune to the effects of negative-dominant or positive-dominant planar energy traits.

Heavenly Deflection (Su): Once per round as a free action, a movanic deva can deflect ranged attacks and certain spells by batting them away with its +1 flaming greatsword. When a ranged attack, ray, or single-target spell would ordinarily hit or affect the deva, the deva can make a Reflex saving throw against a base Dc of 20. If the ranged weapon has an enhancement bonus, the Dc increased by that amount. If the attack is from a spell, the spell is added to the base DC. If the deva succeeds, it deflects the attack. Deflected spells are negated as if counterspelled. The devam ust be aware of an attack in order to have a chance to deflect it.

Soothing Presence of Nature (Ex): Movanic deva have a calm spirit that is pleasing to inhabitants of the natural world. Unless magically compelled to do so, no plant or animal will attack a movanic deva.

As you can see, its a fairly decent sub-species of angel even if only weildly for mid-level and above gameplay (and that being without class levels). My goal is simply to 'chip a few peices off' so to speak, to water it down, keep the basic flavor (minus a few things like the flaming sword), and make it suitable for level 1-5 starting games for my purposes. Another thing to note is, i would make this simply savaged-species'ed, except many things cant be done that way, such as the sword/deflection ability. Maybe i dont want to use a sword? :P

My Attempt -

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7299/serraavenger.jpg

Note: I left out any mention of 'movanic' deva or anything relating to positive or negative energy. This is just sortof a "playable deva" generic race, that can fit nearly any campaign.

~~~Deva Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
- Medium size.
- Deva are outsiders with the Angel, Extraplanar and Good subtypes, and as such have outsider traits (see below).
- A deva's base land speed is 30 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60 feet (good).
- Darkvision out to 60 ft.
- Low-Light Vision.
- Resistance to acid and cold 5.
- +2 racial bonus on saves against poison and petrification.
- Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +1 deflection bonus to AC and a +1 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the deva. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals deva’s hit dice). This aura can be dispelled, but the deva can create it again as a standard action on its next turn.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At Will - Guidance, Purify Food and Drink, Resistance; 3/day - Aid, Consecrate, Elation; 1/day - Dispel Evil. Caster level is equal to the deva's character level. Spell dc's are Charisma based.
- Soothing Pressence (Ex): Unless magically compelled to do so, no plant or animal will attack a deva. A deva also receives a +2 racial bonus on any Charisma-based checks made towards good-aligned living creatures.
- Deva gain a +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.
- Languages: Deva begin play speaking Celestial and Common. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Paladin.
- Level Adjustment: +2
- CR: +1

Outsider Traits
An deva possesses the following outsider traits.

Unlike most other living creatures, a deva does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When a deva is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an deva. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. Note that outsiders on the mortal realm are returned to their home plane upon death, and reform their. The only way to truely kill a outsider is to slay it on its home plane.

Like other outsiders, deva breathe, but do not eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish).

hamishspence
2010-05-13, 04:35 AM
The Protectar in Miniatures Handbook isn't strictly an angel (it doesn't have the bonuses that all angels get)- but it is a celestial with Any Good alignment.

Maybe it could be the low end of divine servitors- (it's CR2) and thus a good basis to start from when constructing bottom-rank angels?