PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Race for a Living Suit of X and related Warforged Questions

balistafreak
2010-05-12, 09:14 PM
Pretty quick request.

A suit of clothes/armor/robes/whatever comes to life and wants to take class levels.

Is there a race that covers this sort of thing? I was thinking this could be simply answered with Warforged with some specific feats (the specific bodies), but if there's a cooler way to do it let me know.

Warforged gives the Living Construct subtype which is very much the goal I'm shooting for here, but I just wanted to see if there were more creative ways to accomplish the same goal.

Somewhat related though are some Warforged questions. Although you're supposedly a "living" construct, what falls under your abilities as one? Can you (with some preparation) extensively overhaul your own body? Amputate a limb to escape a fallen pillar without additional harm (beyond the missing limb, obviously)? After all, you've already taken the damage from getting hit by it.

Does immunity to fatigue and exhaustion imply the ability to run forever?

Are Warforged immune to massive damage?

NEO|Phyte
2010-05-12, 09:26 PM
Somewhat related though are some Warforged questions. Although you're supposedly a "living" construct, what falls under your abilities as one? Can you (with some preparation) extensively overhaul your own body? Amputate a limb to escape a fallen pillar without additional harm (beyond the missing limb, obviously)? After all, you've already taken the damage from getting hit by it.

Does immunity to fatigue and exhaustion imply the ability to run forever?

Are Warforged immune to massive damage?

Warforged are capable of modifying their bodies, not sure exactly how extensively, but they can do things like remodel their faces and stuff. I do know that pain is limited to actually being damaged, which is part of how they can do so. How well an amputation-type deal would work is iffy, since they are still living, with goop flowing around keeping their wooden bits alive.

They should indeed be able to run forever, and unless the living construct subtype says otherwise, would be immune to massive damage by virtue of being a construct.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-13, 03:13 PM
unless the living construct subtype says otherwise, would be immune to massive damage by virtue of being a construct.

Living Constructs are subject to crits, effects that target Fort, massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage/drain, and death effects like other living creatures. They also lose the standard Construct's immunity to mind-affecting.

Reynard
2010-05-13, 03:39 PM
But there's a PrC that makes a Warforged more construct-y and less living.

Greenish
2010-05-13, 03:45 PM
Raggamoffyn is a monster made of living clothes. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_104.jpgYeah, it's weird.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-13, 03:54 PM
Raggamoffyn is a monster made of living clothes. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_104.jpgYeah, it's weird.

Rats. Someone beat me to it. It's in the MM2. Even if it's not conrtolling the host, a wrapped creature gains the benefit of having damage split between it and the rags. However, they can attack the Raggamoffyn to hit you and it looks as though you're both still considered in a grapple which tends to be bad news.

If it succeeds at dominating the host, the host gains the 'Captured One' template from the appendix of the same book. The system/creature might be adapted to the OP's purposes.

obnoxious
sig

Thurbane
2010-05-13, 10:38 PM
Dread Guard, also in MM2, is a sentient, animated suit of armor, but not really well suited for taking class levels, or use as a PC.

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 01:22 AM
Warforged don't bleed, if you wish to extrapolate from the information on 0 hit points and below given....

—A warforged responds slightly differently from
other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points.
A warforged with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a
living creature. He can only take a single move action
or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity
does not risk further injury. When his hit points
are less than 0 and greater than –10, a warforged is
inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot
perform any actions. However, an inert warforged
does not lose additional hit points unless more
damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that
is stable.

I'd take this as no bleeding for Living Constructs since they're given automatic stabilization, but it's not really spelled out as such anywhere. Note that all warforged also have Light Fortification as well, so even though they're not immune to critical hit effects, they're 25% likely to avoid them.

Now that I think about it, it means that since 3.0 (maybe 2nd Ed, didn't look) the Sword of Wounding will affect them, since it now does Con damage instead of causing a bleed effect.

Just my 2 copper pieces....