PDA

View Full Version : Recipes in the Playground

Water-Smurf
2010-05-12, 10:53 PM
After someone gave a (very tasty-sounding) recipe for Variable Speed Corn Muffins on the OotS forum, something occurred to me: most people have a favorite recipe of theirs. So why don't you share your favorite, personal, original, and/or family recipes so the rest of the playground can try them out?

I'll start the ball rolling with this recipe for Mexican cookies I've kept since elementary school (which I try to bake for my friends for their birthdays each year):

1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened

1/2 c. powdered sugar

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 c. unbleached white flour

and for rolling:

1 c. powdered sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

-

Instructions:

1. With an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar to make a smooth, creamy mixture. Add cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Fold in flour, making a stiff dough. Chill for an hour or two. (Note: Since there're no raw eggs, no danger of salmonella if you eat the dough. In fact, I've just made the dough and eaten that in the past.)

2. When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a baking sheet.

3. Form the dough into 1-inch balls.

4. Mix together 1 c. powdered sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

5. Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Then eat them and wait for the heaven-induced heart attack.

Personally, I feel that the dough can be just as good as the cooked product, and since there aren't any raw eggs in it, you don't need to be worried about salmonella. Also, I do not suggest trying to replace the ingredients with things like apple sauce or margarine. (My mom tried that once.) There are some things where you can mess with the ingredients and get the same basic taste, and these cookies aren't one of them.

Anuan
2010-05-12, 11:03 PM
I think we have a thread for this, but it may have finally died...

Serpentine
2010-05-12, 11:08 PM
If people are interested, I'll ask Roland permission to resurrect it. Also, if anyone wants to track down old recipes and index them, I'll add them to the front page index.

edit: Turns out it's not threadomancy yet. Feel free to post it there, if you wanna :smallsmile:

Water-Smurf
2010-05-12, 11:15 PM
Seriously? Huh, I thought that this was obscure enough so that there wouldn't be another thread. My mistake--go ahead and delete this, whichever Mod sees this thread.

Serpentine
2010-05-12, 11:18 PM
Nah, it's come up a bunch, though not so much recently as in the months before I posted that thread (which is why I did it in the first place).

Cleverdan22
2010-05-13, 02:07 PM
I know I have an awesome peach cobbler recipe for those of you who can get good southern peaches lying around here somewhere, I'll post it when I find it.

Linkavitch
2010-05-13, 04:02 PM
Best Brownies Ever!

One box of your fav brownies that you can get at a store.
Mini Marshmellows
Any kind of small baking candy (Chocolate Chips, mint chips, butterscotch, you get the idea.)

Make brownies accordingto the recipe on the box. Before you put it in the pan, put a cup of mini marshmellows and about a third cup of baking candy in the batter and mix*. continue with recipe.

*if you are so inclined, you can put as much as you want in, but this is a good amount, as mini marshmellows and baking candies are kinda expensive.

Zanaril
2010-05-14, 02:23 PM
I really must get around to trying that cookie recipe, I'm sure I'll love anything with both vanilla and cinnamon. Although first I'd have to work out what the measurements are in ounces...