PDA

View Full Version : Do half-celestials live forever?

gooddragon1
2010-05-12, 11:30 PM
More specifically, would a half-giant/half-celestial live forever as most outsider do?

Seffbasilisk
2010-05-12, 11:36 PM
No, IIRC there are printed age categories for half-celestials. 150 middle aged, 375 old, or somesuch.

gooddragon1
2010-05-12, 11:43 PM
No, IIRC there are printed age categories for half-celestials. 150 middle aged, 375 old, or somesuch.

Oh well, thanks.

arguskos
2010-05-12, 11:44 PM
Source? I cannot find such, but, I also don't have access to everything printed.

Mastikator
2010-05-12, 11:49 PM
Can't you just double or quadrouple their lifespan or some such? Seems logical that an elf-halfcelestial would outlive a goblin-halfcelestial.

hamishspence
2010-05-13, 04:11 AM
I've seen printed age categories for aasimar, but not half-celestials.

That said- as Native Outsiders, it seems reasonable that they would age.

Do all Extraplanar Outsiders not age? I've seen text in FC1 and FC2 stating demons, and devils, are immortal- but does this apply to others?

Yora
2010-05-13, 04:17 AM
Except that "native" is a subtype that depends on the fact if you are on your home plane or not. And as it's assumed that the game takes place on the material plane with material plane characters, they have the native subtype.
They would loose it when they are on another plane, and creatures native to the abyss also have the native subtype while in the abyss.

hamishspence
2010-05-13, 04:25 AM
Don't some outsiders not have either the Native subtype or the Extraplanar subtype? (Ones native to the Inner Planes?)

I'm not sure if they should count as immortal or not.

Maybe only ones that are aasimar/tiefling analogs (like the Chaond or the Zenthyri) should be assumed to be mortal unless proven otherwise.

hewhosaysfish
2010-05-13, 07:36 AM
People keep confusing these two and my vexation has almost reached the point of "pet peeve"...

Native: The "Native" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#nativeSubtype) sub-type indicates an outsider with mortal heritage (or otherwise strong connections to the Material Plane).
Only outsiders may be Native.
An Outsider which is Native (I infer) remains Native regardless of the circumstances*.

Extraplanr The "Extraplanar" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#extraplanarSubtype) subtype indicates a creature which is on a plane to which it is not native.
Precisely what "native" means is potentially debatable, although given the lack of capitalisation or any reference to other types and subtype I would assume that it is merely using the dictionary definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/native) rather than any specific.
Note than any creature (outsider or otherwise) may be Extraplanar.
Since this sub-type indicates the relationship between the creature the the plane it is currently on, it may be gained or lost when moving between planes.
Interestingly, nothing has the Extraplanar sub-type when on the transitive planes. It could be argued that this means all creatures are "native" to the transitive planes although it is unclear what this means or effects this would have.
The sub-types listed in the Monster Manual assumed the creatures listed are encountered on the Material Plane.

Interaction: The "Native" sub-type indicates that Outsiders with it are "native" to the Material Plane ("Hence the name") and thus are not Extraplanar when on it. This could indicate that those which are of mixed Outsider/mortal ancestry are not native to the home plane of their Outsider ancestors. Then again, it might not; nothing explicitly precludes being "native" to 2 planes.

OT: Half-celestials have not been given the "PC treament" as the races in the PHB, XPH and (I believe) Races Of X have.
That is to say, there are no canon age tables** for them and their lifespans must therefore be determined by a combination of common sense, Rule of Cool, player whininh, DM bloody-mindedness, random die rolls and/or pepperoni.

"Quotation Marks": There are probably for more of them in this "post" than can be justified.

*Except maybe time-travel to kill his own grandfather and thus remove his own mortal heritage :smalltongue:

**Unless, of course, someone else find some and proves me wrong.

gbprime
2010-05-13, 11:24 AM
Well an aasimar lives roughly 1/3 longer than a human, according to the age charts. So extrapolate. a half celestial would be similar, 1/3 to 1/2 again as much lifespan.

If you're a PC, that is. If you're the DM, then the correct answer is "they live as long as the plot demands that they do." :smallbiggrin:

Bogardan_Mage
2010-05-13, 09:09 PM
D20 Modern (Urban Arcana) claims that Aasimar and Tieflings "reach maturity by age 20 and can live up to 300 years" but doesn't elaborate, nor does it give age data for more Outsider-heavy hybrids.

Maryring
2010-05-14, 06:54 AM
People keep confusing these two and my vexation has almost reached the point of "pet peeve"...

Native: The "Native" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#nativeSubtype) sub-type indicates an outsider with mortal heritage (or otherwise strong connections to the Material Plane).
Only outsiders may be Native.
An Outsider which is Native (I infer) remains Native regardless of the circumstances*.

Extraplanr The "Extraplanar" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#extraplanarSubtype) subtype indicates a creature which is on a plane to which it is not native.
Precisely what "native" means is potentially debatable, although given the lack of capitalisation or any reference to other types and subtype I would assume that it is merely using the dictionary definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/native) rather than any specific.
Note than any creature (outsider or otherwise) may be Extraplanar.
Since this sub-type indicates the relationship between the creature the the plane it is currently on, it may be gained or lost when moving between planes.
Interestingly, nothing has the Extraplanar sub-type when on the transitive planes. It could be argued that this means all creatures are "native" to the transitive planes although it is unclear what this means or effects this would have.
The sub-types listed in the Monster Manual assumed the creatures listed are encountered on the Material Plane.

Interaction: The "Native" sub-type indicates that Outsiders with it are "native" to the Material Plane ("Hence the name") and thus are not Extraplanar when on it. This could indicate that those which are of mixed Outsider/mortal ancestry are not native to the home plane of their Outsider ancestors. Then again, it might not; nothing explicitly precludes being "native" to 2 planes.

OT: Half-celestials have not been given the "PC treament" as the races in the PHB, XPH and (I believe) Races Of X have.
That is to say, there are no canon age tables** for them and their lifespans must therefore be determined by a combination of common sense, Rule of Cool, player whininh, DM bloody-mindedness, random die rolls and/or pepperoni.

"Quotation Marks": There are probably for more of them in this "post" than can be justified.

*Except maybe time-travel to kill his own grandfather and thus remove his own mortal heritage :smalltongue:

**Unless, of course, someone else find some and proves me wrong.

Extraplanar is important because it defines if you can be subjected to spells like Banishment. No one is Extraplanar on the transitive planes to prevent people from being banished from there.

Why? Now that's a plothook. :smallbiggrin:

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 10:12 AM
Outsider Type: An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.
Features: An outsider has the following features.
—8-sided Hit Dice.
—Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
—Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
—Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
Traits: An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
—Darkvision out to 60 feet.
—Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
—Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
—Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
—Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

No mention of Ousider lifespans based on the Outsider type. Additionally, Native differences are noted in bold. This is from the 3.5 SRD, so it may differ from what's actually in print.

Here's the template from the SRD:

HALF-CELESTIAL
No matter the form, half-celestials are always comely and delightful to the senses, having golden skin, sparkling eyes, angelic wings, or some other sign of their higher nature.
CREATING A HALF-CELESTIAL
“Half-celestial” is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or higher and nonevil alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
A half-celestial uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. Half-celestials are normally native outsiders.
Speed: A half-celestial has feathered wings and can fly at twice the base creature’s base land speed (good maneuverability). If the base creature has a fly speed, use that instead.
Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).
Special Attacks: A half-celestial retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special abilities.
Daylight (Su): Half-celestials can use a daylight effect (as the spell) at will.
Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a half-celestial can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against an evil foe.
Spell-Like Abilities: A half-celestial with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has two or more spell-like abilities, depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table below. The abilities are cumulative
Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.
HD Abilities
1–2 Protection from evil 3/day, bless
3–4 Aid, detect evil
5–6 Cure serious wounds, neutralize poison
7–8 Holy smite, remove disease
9–10 Dispel evil
11–12 Holy word
13–14 Holy aura 3/day, hallow
15–16 Mass charm monster
17–18 Summon monster IX (celestials only)
19–20 Resurrection
Special Qualities: A half-celestial has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
—Darkvision out to 60 feet.
—Immunity to disease.
—Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10.
—Damage reduction: 5/magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more).
—A half-celestial’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
—Spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35).
— +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4.
Skills: A half-celestial gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) x(HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-celestial gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.
Challenge Rating: HD 5 or less, as base creature +1; HD 6 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.
Alignment: Always good (any).
Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +4.

From the bolded sentence I'd say that lifespan is as the base creature.

I'm not a fan of other-planar creatures being by definition immortal. Imagine how crowded the multiverse would get.... Though I could go for very long lifespans and very low birth rates.

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 10:42 AM

On any given plane I would treat the creatures native to that plane the same as one treats creatures on the Prime - they can die, be raised, all that jazz. The PC's are "special" in that they remain normal everywhere. I think it would be funny to treat Prime creatures as Outsiders while on other planes though - "What do you mean Raise Dead doesn't work?!?"

I'll go with more pepperoni.

WoodenSword
2010-05-14, 11:53 AM
I'd double their lifespan personally, expecting that a Half-Giant Half-Cesestial would be "essentially" immortal, as in he lives so long he may as well be...

Greenish
2010-05-14, 11:56 AM
On any given plane I would treat the creatures native to that plane the same as one treats creatures on the Prime - they can die, be raised, all that jazz. The PC's are "special" in that they remain normal everywhere. I think it would be funny to treat Prime creatures as Outsiders while on other planes though - "What do you mean Raise Dead doesn't work?!?"You seem to be confusing "Outsider" type with "Extraplanar" subtype. The PCs do gain the latter, should they venture out of their native plane.

Flickerdart
2010-05-14, 11:57 AM
If Celestials live forever, then Half-Celestials live half-forever. Durr.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-14, 11:58 AM
Anything in D&D lives until it encounters the PCs. :smallcool:

The PCs live until the DM gets tired of them. :smallbiggrin:

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 12:38 PM
Anything in D&D lives until it encounters the PCs. :smallcool:

The PCs live until the DM gets tired of them. :smallbiggrin:

Yes.

And, yes - I had forgotten about Outsider vs Extraplanar - but in my defense, I've played under many different incarnations of these rules... alot has changed since I was a kid.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-14, 12:46 PM
Except that "native" is a subtype that depends on the fact if you are on your home plane or not.

I really don't know why people keep making this mistake. Really, it's spelled out quite clearly in the Monster Manual list of subtypes.

lightningcat
2010-05-14, 03:49 PM
I would say that half-celestials would live 150% to 200% as long as the mortal parent, but they would become an adult at the same time as other members of the mortal parent's race. While all other age categories would be delayed by the appropriate amount.