PDA

View Full Version : On-line Job Search

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-05-12, 11:56 PM
I've been looking for a summer job, part time is my main focus, for about a week on-line using various job searching websites. I've been around my neighbourhood, and no one seems to be hiring, so I've been applying to places farther from home. The trek out to these places could take 1-2 hours for one application, and requires bus fare, which I am reluctant to spend because I'm Scotch. I have not had one call or e-mail for about a half dozen submissions.

So, I have two questions.
1. Is this unusual? (for those that have done this sufficiently)
2. Is this method actually likely to find me a job?
2a. Should I make the trek out to apply in person?

thubby
2010-05-13, 05:50 AM
1) not in the least
2) as much as anything else will.
2a) throwing the kitchen sink it can't hurt.

Ranna
2010-05-13, 05:52 AM
reed.com temp job site

that is if uir a brit

Hazkali
2010-05-13, 06:59 AM
I feel your pain- for all my three summers at University I only ever got a fortnight's worth of "proper" job. No, it's not unusual at all, especially in the middle of this recession. My suggestions are:

Put your CV into all of your local agencies, if there are any. Check back at least three days a week to see if they have anything for you, and make sure to give them your mobile number as temporary positions can be very short notice.
Be prepared to take anything, especially from agencies. Unless you have moral qualms about particular work, they're not going to look favourably on you turning down jobs "just because".
Ask your parents, aunts, friends and so on if they or anyone they know needs work doing. I spent two of my summers painting people's houses, but there might be gardening or odd jobs that people might pay you for.

Coplantor
2010-05-13, 09:59 AM
I spent six months looking for a job on-line, I got 0 answers, I must have send over 200 aplications, you know how I got my current job? They needed an extra hand where my cousin used to work.

So I strongly recomend you asking around your relatives and friends.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-05-13, 10:07 AM
I've been looking for a summer job, part time is my main focus, for about a week on-line using various job searching websites. I've been around my neighbourhood, and no one seems to be hiring, so I've been applying to places farther from home. The trek out to these places could take 1-2 hours for one application, and requires bus fare, which I am reluctant to spend because I'm Scotch. I have not had one call or e-mail for about a half dozen submissions.

Assuming that "I am reluctant to spend because I'm Scotch" means that you are in the very north of the UK, you might want to see if there is a local branch of Manpower.

I registered with them when I was at University (until my sister gave my name to her boss as a possible temp CA).

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-05-13, 01:34 PM
Assuming that "I am reluctant to spend because I'm Scotch" means that you are in the very north of the UK
Actually I'm Canadian, Scotch lineage though, I follow the stereotype well enough though, dower and thrifty. Thanks for the replies. My search will continue.

Catch
2010-05-13, 02:02 PM

Let me respond to your questions with another question - what's your approach when applying for a job, in this case, online? How's your resume look and what do you include in your cover letter?

Considering how many young people are search for work these days, and pouncing on every job available, simply being available doesn't cut it any more. Working on a degree in writing, I've learned that inquiring after a job isn't much different than pitching a story to a magazine or journal - you're selling yourself, in essence. The stronger your approach, the more likely you are to get a call back, and representing yourself well starts with a good cover letter.

Miklus
2010-05-13, 05:39 PM
I spent six months looking for a job on-line, I got 0 answers, I must have send over 200 aplications, you know how I got my current job? They needed an extra hand where my cousin used to work.

So I strongly recomend you asking around your relatives and friends.

I've been there, my friend. In my experience, applications only work when unemployment is low. In a recession, you are better off "networking", which is a fancy word for jumping the queue. I don't like the concept myself, but I have gotten two jobs this way. If you are unemployed, what can you do? Principles will have to slide.

You would think that a firm would want to hire the best possible employees, but no. They would rather hire someones cousin.

If you really want to get to the top, you have to do some prof networking. This means joining the right clubs. One favor earns another and all that.

Have you ever met someone high up in a firm and thought "How did this moron get to be my boss? He does not even have an education!" That's networking. And it could work for you too! :smallamused: