PDA

View Full Version : Faire!

CMOTDibbler
2010-05-13, 04:44 AM
Here in Missouri, the local Renaissance Faire is starting this weekend! As a member of cast, I get to be there every day, too! Yay! Who else goes to Renaissance Faires, SCA events, or something like them?

Serpentine
2010-05-13, 04:46 AM
...they really spell it with an "e"? :smallconfused:

Lycan 01
2010-05-13, 04:48 AM
I was the Alchemist at my college's Shakespear Festival/Ren Fair last year. It was so much fun! :smallbiggrin:

Until I blew my English professor's drink up. :smalleek:

Sadly, we won't be putting another one on until 2012, since the big SP plays are easier to put on instead of the actual festivals. :smallfrown:

Starscream
2010-05-13, 05:32 AM
We had a couple of these when I was in college. I never got involved. Did score a sweet deal on a katana though. Not sure what those have to do with the Renaissance, but whatever, katanas are cool.

Quincunx
2010-05-13, 05:56 AM
Lucky you. I got to the first St. Louis area renfaire, but never any others. (People weren't quite familiar with the idea of a renfaire being. . .interactive, that year. I was wandering around in corset and skirts, gnawing on a turkey drumstick, cheering at the jousts, heckling, etc. . Other attendees were sitting quietly in neat modern clothing and giving me odd looks.) It's been years since I have heard about a local renfaire, let alone attended one.

I was the Alchemist at my college's Shakespear Festival/Ren Fair last year. It was so much fun! :smallbiggrin:

Until I blew my English professor's drink up. :smalleek:

Oh c'mon, you HAVE to give us more detail than that! :smallbiggrin:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-13, 06:18 AM
Never been, I just don't the attraction to them.
Speaking of which, what is the attraction?

Brother Oni
2010-05-13, 06:34 AM
I quite like knowing about the history and reading from a book or playing a video game is nothing like going out and seeing it for yourself (though they don't capture the smell due to modern sensibilities).

It's nice to see what life was back in those days and it's both (mostly) educational and entertaining.

Plus serving wenches. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-13, 06:50 AM
I go to LOADS of fairs and cons.
Most fairs are medieval/fantasy-ish themed. ^^

Over here, we have loads of them. from once a month to 4 events a month, depending how close to the summer you are.

Cons though, are allll about anime/manga/cosplay.(Though almost everybody goes in a costume to fairs too)

I think I've promised to meet Mauve at a renfaire someday.

Also for events in the USA, go to Pyrian!:smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-13, 06:56 AM
The Maryland Renaissance Festival is good fun. I've gone pretty much every year since high school began. I met my first playgrounders last year at the MD Renfest!

KuReshtin
2010-05-13, 07:31 AM
They have a Viking festival (http://www.largsvikingfestival.com)each year at the end of August - beginning of September where I live.
it's not a really massive one, but they always build a Viking village consisting of about 8-10 huts with different kinds of things on show, like a smithy, a wood carver and stuff like that. They usually also have exhibitions on swordfighting and archery and stuff.
It's usually pretty nice. lasts for a little over a week.

At the end of the festival, they have a large battle between a bunch of re-enactore and then they have a funeral ship set on fire and pushed out into the bay to serve as an end of the festivities.

EmeraldRose
2010-05-13, 08:00 AM
We go pretty well annually to the MN Ren Fest. Opening weekend is Andre's birthday, so it's a pretty fun time. Didn't make it last year though, no money...

ForzaFiori
2010-05-13, 11:43 AM
To my knowledge, there's never been a Renaissance fair anywhere near me. Guess the upstate is just to sparsely populated. We do have an active Civil War reenactment group though. They did the battle of Anderson just like... a week or two ago. I was sick and didn't get to go though. :( It's very similar to a Renaissance fair. All of the members, obviously, are dressed as either confederate or union soldiers, or as camp followers. They would usually have a camp for both sides set up, showing how they lived, and then they would have the battle. The next day, they do it over, but the other side wins. Mainly because once you get to battles this far south, the confederates were loosing, and no one that lives here wants to reenact that over and over again.