PDA

View Full Version : Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar

tuesdayscoming
2010-05-13, 06:02 AM
So I want to get an imp as an improved familiar, but the build I have in mind doesn't have the requisite Arcane Spellcaster level 7.

Practiced Spellcaster (CD82) says, "Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by +4).

I know that this feat has its limitations (doesn't affect spells known, for instance), but the wording implies that if my character was, say, a Wiz 3 / Rogue 4 with Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar, I would be able to have a little demon buddy.

Does anyone know if this is actually the case?

Ashram
2010-05-13, 06:04 AM
By RAW, it affects everything BUT spells known/spells per day, so I'd say go for it; when in doubt ask your DM. My DM said it counted for item creation feats as well.

tuesdayscoming
2010-05-13, 06:14 AM
Oh, and what about classes like the hexblade and paladin, who gain the ability to cast spells later on in their career? That is, at level 4 (when both of these classes gain the ability to cast spells) do they technically have a spellcaster level of 1 or 4?

Greenish
2010-05-13, 06:21 AM
Oh, and what about classes like the hexblade and paladin, who gain the ability to cast spells later on in their career? That is, at level 4 (when both of these classes gain the ability to cast spells) do they technically have a spellcaster level of 1 or 4?They don't have a caster level before they gain their spellcasting ability.

Runestar
2010-05-13, 06:36 AM
Arcane spellcaster lv refers to the actual number of lvs in that spellcasting class you have. This is not affected by practiced spellcaster.

Caster lv is well, simply your caster lv.

For example, a paladin4 would have spellcaster lv4, but a caster lv of only 2.

So practiced spellcaster would not affect when you qualify for an improved familiar.