PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Video Game

Maxios
2010-05-13, 12:00 PM
Ideas for an OOTS adventure!:elan:
Imagine playing Elan on the Xbox 360, cutting through ranks of goblins as Roy, and casting fireball as V!

Maxios
2010-05-13, 12:07 PM
There's multiple ways an OOTS game could be done.
1. A Text Adventure! Yeah no one really makes text adventures anymore, but it could be downloadable from the giantitp.com!

2. A Baldur's Gate style adventure or a Titan Quest like adventure!

3. A game like Oblivion. It's a rpg, and you can switch control between the various members of the Order of the Stick!

4. An action adventure game where you can switch.

I'm hoping if Rich Burlew is to make a OOTS video game, it is done like either 3 or 4, but I'm favoring 3.

Maxios
2010-05-13, 12:18 PM
Ideas for talking in the game
To avoid getting actors for the various characters, they could use talking balloons or a Banjo and Kazooie style.

Ideas

* I have an idea for replicating the 'railroad plot' joke comic strip. Maybe after standing up to Miko and the following unseen battle, the Order could try to flee, but the problem is Miko has Windstriker.
As one possibility, maybe Miko could do a jump attack where she lands on top the character and does like a slashing attack where the players have to quickly press buttons to turn the tables on Miko, knocking her off. Or the players could have a good old fashioned battle royale with Miko. But if they win the battle, what would happen?
Maybe the Twelve Gods zap the Order with lightning!

* How could one do the whole being beaten thing here? Perhaps if you're done to -10 Hit Points, Durkon has to find a diamond to resurrect, with the penalty of the person who was resurrected has maybe -1d20 hit points!
Or perhaps you have to go to a Resurrection Column to bring back the defeated!

Maxios
2010-05-13, 12:32 PM
I think an Elder Scroll style game is the best bet. But, I wonder what the achivements would be for a Xbox 360 game!! Some of These achievmetns could be for either playing 1 hour as a certain character, or beating their how-to level at the beginning.

:belkar: Beat the Belkar how-to level or play 1 hour as everyone's favorite midget with deep-seated emotional problems.

:durkon: Beat the Durkon how-to level or play 1 hour as everyone's favorite dwarf who writes with his accent!

:elan:Beat the Elan how-to level or play 1 hour as everyone's favorite worshipper of Banjo, clown god of Puppets!

:vaarsuvius: Beat the Vaarsuvius how-to level or play 1 hour as everyone's favorite ambiguous elf!

:haley: Beat the Hayley how-to level or play 1 hour as everyone's favorite rouge who at one point talked only in cryptograms!

:roy: Beat the Roy how-to level or play 1 hour as everyone's favorite fighter who does NOT follow the 'all fighters are morons' cliche.

Sexy Shoeless God of War: Beat 50 foes.

Divine Ascension: Beat 100 foes.

Edgucated Idiot: Equip a piece of armor that boosts intelligence on Elan.

hihidude
2010-05-13, 01:08 PM
That would be totally frigging awesome. I've played and beaten Oblivion multiple times. I can see it all. Achievements....

:xykon: Avenge the death of Roy's father.

maybe the game could go book by book?

Darius1020
2010-05-13, 01:10 PM
Is... was it really necessary to post four times in a row? There's a magic little "Edit post" button...

ANYway, it would have to be an RPG, but not a turn based one, even though D&D has rounds, it just wouldn't feel right...

Maxios
2010-05-13, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the tip. And yeah, the game should be in real time. In other news, for those who don't know what this topic is for:
This topic for those who really have no clue, it's ideas for an OOTs game. An elder scroll style truthfully would be the best way.
I can see it now...Haley firing an arrow in a 'Fallout 3 VATS mode) style sequence.
Ragdoll Physics should exist in the game, and destructible objects. But how could one do armor? That could mean V might be wearing plate armor (despite in Dnd Wizards cannot wear plate) or Elan wearing a helmet like his father.
It is quite a conundrum indeed. Maybe there could an option that the new armor you put on is invisible and your guy looks normal. Also, achivments edited!

Thant
2010-05-13, 01:30 PM
Did...you...just...say...ELDER SCROLLS STYLE?!?! :smallfurious:

Raging Gene Ray
2010-05-13, 01:35 PM
But if they win the battle, what would happen?

Rich Burlew (the DM) would make a cameo appearance and personally drag the Order to Azure City, Raise Miko, and tell the Order to stick to the script.

Or maybe you unlock an alternate ending, like in Chrono Trigger if you beat Lavos as early as possible.

The cameo would be an Easter Egg, so Miko should be impossible to beat without either New Game+, flawless hit and run tactics for about 2 straight hours, or 10-15 hours of level grinding on the first playthrough (making the rest of the game boringly easy).

Hann
2010-05-13, 01:36 PM
As one possibility, maybe Miko could do a jump attack where she lands on top the character and does like a slashing attack where the players have to quickly press buttons to turn the tables on Miko, knocking her off.

For the love of all the little green apples, NO QUICKTIME EVENTS.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-05-13, 01:37 PM
For the love of all the little green apples, NO QUICKTIME EVENTS.

But everyone loves quicktime events! If they didn't, why would developers keep putting them in their games?

Zevox
2010-05-13, 01:40 PM
ANYway, it would have to be an RPG, but not a turn based one, even though D&D has rounds, it just wouldn't feel right...
Quite the contrary, anything but turn-based just wouldn't feel right. It's a D&D-based comic, the comic itself is already turn-based.

Zevox

Maxios
2010-05-13, 01:42 PM
I'm not talking Morrowind (in which the combat stunk) I'm talking Oblivion, but without all the blood and gore. I mean the characters aren't oblivion style. In this game, they'd be virtual versions of themselves. I can actually see it.
I also did not mean it should be a complete rip off of Oblivion.
It would just be similar in some spots.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now, maybe expansion packs for the diffrent arcs. The base game would be either at the end of "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools" but with nearby towns and forests and stuff for the interpid heroes to explore. The next expansion pack would be "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" and would have more free roaming envirements and side quests. The next expansion would be "War's and XP" and later "Don't split the Party" where the player would have to choose either to play Elan, Durkon, and V or Haley, Celia, and comedy gold Belkar.
Also maybe when Elan and Haley start to go out, when together they do more damage and get more xp.
===============================================
Also, the Handhelds would be turned base while the Main Consoles such as the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 would be in real time.

Maxios
2010-05-13, 01:50 PM
Also, Rich Burlew could narrate the game! And he could appear as a seer or an Oracle or something.
Also when the party leaves the Kobold Oracle and forgets what he looks like, maybe Elan or Belkar says either "he looks like that Rich Burlew guy" or a description of Rich's appearence of what they remember the Oracle to look like.
Also, Miko would be made tough to beat, but if you beat her, wouldn't be cool to see the Twelve Gods zap your heroes?
Actually, maybe Rich Burlew zaps the Order and says "Stick to the Strip!" Yeah, that'd be funnier.

The Recreator
2010-05-13, 02:10 PM
How 'bout something like this (http://tempupload.ngfiles.com/2681799_Leet_Wars_v0.1.swf)? It's a game based on my webcomic, which is in turn artistically based on Order of the Stick. I doubt I'll use the OotS-Zero Punctuation hybrid style in the final version, but it's a simple enough Flash game for anyone to build. Give characters an assortment of weapons and an array of enemies to plow through, and add a leveling system and magic bar (ala Castle Crashers) for flavor.

Optimystik
2010-05-13, 02:10 PM
Just do a mod for NWN (2). It would even be multiplayer at that point.

http://rooc.offtopicproductions.com/Images/OOTS_NWN2.jpg

Aren't they cute?

The Recreator
2010-05-13, 02:11 PM

Aren't they cute?

Okay, you win. 3D mod > 2D Flash prototype.

goldgecko4
2010-05-13, 02:14 PM
Nah, nah, it's got to be a BG/IWD/NWN style game. Ideally, it would be a modified Baldur's Gate 2 engine game, as that game allowed you to control every member separately, or to control them all as a team. It was strategy at it's max, and I can imagine that with a few tweaks (to get it up to 3.5), it would be an epic adventure... hmmm... I wonder if a custom OotS party would work in BG2?

Maxios
2010-05-13, 02:24 PM
In Icewind Dale I made a Party modeled after the Order. And yes, a Baldur's Gate 2 style game would work, but if you were to do a elder scroll-style game, you could more immerse yourself in the OOTs word, whatever the name of it is.
See now, in OOTs Elder Scroll Style, there's more detail in it you see. And for the gamers who *gasp* dislike Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, this would be it. Really, there's possibily limitless ways of how Rich Burlew could do it.
When I say an Elder Scroll's Style Game, I mean that's the way I'd picture it. And it seems from some of these posts others agree. :amused: The first day and already over 160 people looking! :biggrin:

The Recreator
2010-05-13, 02:52 PM
Really, there's possibily limitless ways of how Rich Burlew could do it.
There's the hitch. Burlew is so busy that he's unable to work on the existing OotS board game, let alone work out the issues involved in producing a video game.

The real question is are we just trading ideas, or does everyone actually want to make an OotS game for real? For the kind of game you're talking about, a fan-made mod of BG or NWN 2 is definitely your best bet, though I'd prefer to see an OotS game done as a 2D affair. I've definitely seen this kind of thread before, but I don't think anything came of it. Mostly they carried the tone of "why doesn't Burlew make an OotS game?", though, so maybe this is different.

I'd love to see it happen, but it takes commitment to get a game of BG-caliber made.

(Sorry to be the party pooper. I just got through a course on game production that can be summarized as saying "manage your expectations".)

Zevox
2010-05-13, 02:56 PM
The real question is are we just trading ideas, or does everyone actually want to make an OotS game for real?
Anyone who thinks anything more than trading ideas will come of a thread like this is living in their own fantasy world, no matter what people want.

Zevox

Maxios
2010-05-13, 05:43 PM
THE ORDER OF THE STICK
Level Cap: 10, 1 more level with every expansion pack.
Free Roaming

See the castle above the dungeon of Dorukan! Explore nearby fortests! Explore mountaians! Find hidden mines! Buy and sell in towns!

Battle goblins! Fight evil twins! And EARN HORDES OF GOLD!

Prowl
2010-05-13, 05:52 PM
In Icewind Dale I made a Party modeled after the Order.

I did this with Icewind Dale II... needless to say, the party promptly got utterly wrecked out of the starting gate.

Moral of the story: RPGs are balanced for optimized characters.

KeybladePalidin
2010-05-13, 05:56 PM
I'd go with an adventure game option #3. Then they'd iterally be PCs.

Acero
2010-05-13, 05:59 PM
the only way i could see this work would be small-scale.

Play it like Reign of Swords

Optimystik
2010-05-13, 06:30 PM
Nah, nah, it's got to be a BG/IWD/NWN style game. Ideally, it would be a modified Baldur's Gate 2 engine game, as that game allowed you to control every member separately, or to control them all as a team. It was strategy at it's max, and I can imagine that with a few tweaks (to get it up to 3.5), it would be an epic adventure... hmmm... I wonder if a custom OotS party would work in BG2?

You can do that with NWN2, just separate the group via scripted events. And unlike BG2, NWN2 OotS would be multiplayer.

(Also, 3.5 rules and stuff.)

The last, secret, hush hush forum level is...TITAN IN THE PLAYGROUND (I think. I saw one guy with that title, and since it's not in the FAQ as a level, I believe it's the last!

The FAQ hasn't been updated in a while :smalltongue:
Also, it's against the rules to double- and triple-post; use the edit function at the bottom of your post if you have more to add.

grassy
2010-05-13, 07:16 PM
I once had an idea for a Warcraft III map that re-enacts the battle for azure city. But like so many ideas I had for Warcraft III maps, I never followed through with it.

For those of you that don't know, the Warcraft III map editor is so good, it's almost like creating your own small game.

Optimystik
2010-05-13, 07:43 PM
For those of you that don't know, the Warcraft III map editor is so good, it's almost like creating your own small game.

Trust us, we know. :smallwink:
*Fires up DotA again*

Maxios
2010-05-13, 08:27 PM
Back to OOTs, anyone have ideas for the Dungeon or side quests or foe stats? Maybe leveling ideas.

drengnikrafe
2010-05-13, 09:56 PM
I feel like I've seen at least 4 threads based on this topic, and that all of them meet with vastly different responses. The last one I saw eventually led to a link to a poorly crafted flash game with characters who looked like OOTS members, and then the thread promptly died.

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-13, 11:03 PM
If Rich is to create an OOTs game, really, he could become a very rich man.
He'd become a very rich man by being a famous rapper, too, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Or that it's a good idea.

There is nothing to indicate that Rich has any experience whatsoever with designing video games, and in any case he's kinda busy at the moment writing the actual comic. Either he'd have to wait until after the story has ended to be able to commit to it properly, or the comic would have to go on a very long hiatus. Which would suck.

Or of course, he could just hand it over to another developer and leave them to deal with it... in which case it isn't OotS, it's just another random RPG with the rights to use the character likenesses. Which, again, would suck.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-14, 02:09 AM
I don't think there'd be enough in dungeon crawling fools to cover one game. It would also get old fast having to buy an expansion for each new book. That's what, five or six different expansions?

Maxios
2010-05-14, 10:20 AM
Maybe the Base game would include "No Cure for the Paladin Blues"
The game would also have it's own fair share of free roaming, more forests, hidden mines, etc.
The game would also have some small towns like shown in the beginning of NCFTPB.
The game would also include named areas from the comics "Cliffport, Anywhere, Weary Traveler's Inn, The Wooden Mountains, etc."

SlayerScott
2010-05-14, 10:25 AM
I like the idea of a cel-shaded Paper Mario graphic style with Final Fantasy modeled gameplay. The game would have to be very short and played mostly for laughs.

Zevox
2010-05-14, 10:27 AM
I like the idea of a cel-shaded Paper Mario graphic style with Final Fantasy modeled gameplay. The game would have to be very short and played mostly for laughs.
Just plain Paper Mario style would sound great to me, actually (unless you're talking FF10 for the Final Fantasy gameplay, rather than the ATB system).

Zevox

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-14, 10:32 AM

Aren't they cute?

Hey! I did something like that!

Maxios
2010-05-14, 03:08 PM
Back to the main topic...
In this post I hereby discuss Bows and Crossbows.
Maybe when you fire one you can choose to go in a Fallout 3 VATS mode sequence where you choose the exact spot where to aim (but withought the dismemberment)
And when you fire an arrow or bolt that does major damage or beats a foe or something the game could go into slow motion.
The problem is, what would you do if you ran out of arrows? Does the game give you a continous supply or do you have to find them or perhaps like Oblivion, get them back from beaten foes.
Now, when you beat foes spectculary in slow motion, you should be able to upload the video onto the game website for a contest where you can win an order of the stick collection!
Now, if the game is turned based combat like Final Fantasty or Pokemon or that one Lord of the Rings game with the Balrog on the cover, it will turn off gamers who disliked TBC and think it's repetitive.
Turned Based would probably be in the handheld versions and probably real time on the Main Consoles.
______)))___________________________--------------------____
The characters in the game probably would just be virtual versions of themselves, and there probably would be a Cel Shade option to turn on or turn off.

Optimystik
2010-05-14, 04:12 PM
Hey! I did something like that!

The pic comes from these boards, so it might even be yours :smalltongue:

And it shouldn't be too hard to make a mod simulating Dorukan's Dungeon or the Bandit Forest or even the Cliffport Fight.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-14, 04:26 PM
Rich isn't going to do this because he doesn't have the time. Even if he did what you'd want to do is PM him about this, not post it on the boards. PLus there's probably a ton of copyright problems with an OOTS game since it's set in D&D which is owned by the wizards of the coast.

PM him about this and see what he says. If he doesn't respond then it's probably a no.

The Recreator
2010-05-14, 04:42 PM
Rich isn't going to do this because he doesn't have the time. Even if he did what you'd want to do is PM him about this, not post it on the boards. PLus there's probably a ton of copyright problems with an OOTS game since it's set in D&D which is owned by the wizards of the coast.

PM him about this and see what he says. If he doesn't respond then it's probably a no.

I think the OotS board game worked around the D&D copyright issues quite nicely. That would be an excellent starting point for designing a video game.

I would guess that the best way to create game levels at this point would be to base them off of each level in the Dungeon of Dorukan, populating them with enemies and traps based on the comics. You could create an epic, free-roaming RPG, but I think that would lose some of the charm that comes from the comic's storytelling and style.

Also, a tower defense game set in Azure City could be quite fun.:smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-05-14, 07:25 PM
Mini Games would be interesting in the game.

In the game, there should be Alignment scores. Roy would start out Lawful Good (20 or higher) but should he say...attack civilians or finally kick Elan's butt, he'd lose points and possibly go from 20 to 10 or something becoming chaotic good. Then should it go to 0, he's netutral, -10 chaotic evil, -20 lawful evil.
And should Roy commit some sinister crime, either the Cliffport Police or the Paladins will chase the party to capture him.

Also, I think in the battle of Azure City, the hobgoblins (hobbies) and zombies and ghouls and other monsters should be very weak and give barely XP, because if they're tough bad guys no player would make past it or get 10 levels.
The battle should be as awesome and intense as it is in the comics. Also, named characters who don't be beaten in the comics (Hinjo, O-Chul, Daigo, etc) should only be knocked out to prevents problems in the game later on.
Also, in the game, Azure City should be how it was in the comics, big and giant, as part of the game's free roaming envirement so in the Invasion and subsequent 0Fall of Azure City, players somewhat know their way around.
Later, if they choose to play Celia, Hayley, and Belkar, they could try to retake various parts of the city.

Erts
2010-05-14, 07:55 PM
Maxios...
I'm not trying to sound offensive at all, but I think you might be going a little bit to fast. You are posting at rapid speeds, double and triple posting, and in your enthusiasm I don't think you are listening.

Ask Rich Burlew on the site. Go to the most recent comic right [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152309" here[/URL]. Click on his name, go to PM, send him a message about your idea.

I have to be honest, I do not think this will work though. Best of luck.

grassy
2010-05-14, 10:05 PM

PM him about this and see what he says. If he doesn't respond then it's probably a no.I doubt anyone is serious about the idea of making a game. This thread is mainly just for having fun tossing ideas around.

Maxios
2010-05-14, 10:10 PM
I can possibly make a game if i can find a free text adventure creator. It may not be as good as a virtual game, but hey, a fan-made OOTS game is a game none the less.

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-15, 12:11 AM
Here's Rich's reply when asked if there would be a video-game version of the board game:

No, there are no plans for such.

I tend to think any PM to him would get that same response, at best.

Sarahsuke
2010-05-15, 01:40 AM
I was thinking of something akin to the Quest for Glory games (essentially an adventure/RPG hybrid), perhaps with different "chapters" focusing on one character at a time.

Kurald Galain
2010-05-15, 04:46 AM
There's multiple ways an OOTS game could be done.
1. A Text Adventure! Yeah no one really makes text adventures anymore,
On the contrary, there is a whole community making Interactive Fiction (http://ifarchive.org/), complete with yearly contest.

4. An action adventure game where you can switch.
I think this one would work best. There was a flashgame a year ago that more-or-less did this, IIRC.

Maxios
2010-05-15, 01:17 PM
My game idea is not just a version of the board game. It's a version of the comic.
Now, all Rich Burlew would have to do is find a game company such as Activision, EA Games, Rocksteady, or that company that made Oblibion and Fallout 3, and monitor their making of the game and make sure they stick to the comics and get the characters and stuff right, so Rich still has the time to work on the comic.
Also, no text adventure creator success. Perhaps a Rougelike game creator (like Nethack) will work.

Arcane Hoplite
2010-05-15, 04:03 PM
How about a game made with RPG Maker XP? It is easy to use.

The Succubus
2010-05-15, 04:30 PM
My game idea is not just a version of the board game. It's a version of the comic.
Now, all Rich Burlew would have to do is find a game company such as Activision, EA Games, Rocksteady, or that company that made Oblibion and Fallout 3, and monitor their making of the game and make sure they stick to the comics and get the characters and stuff right, so Rich still has the time to work on the comic.
Also, no text adventure creator success. Perhaps a Rougelike game creator (like Nethack) will work.

I'm going to be a little harsh here.

The Order of the Stick has a loyal group of fans to be sure but it is, in game industry numbers, far too small to be worthwhile making game for. Development costs for making even a basic game can run into tens of thousands of dollars assuming of course that the publishers would even be interested. As for "remaining true to the spirit of the comic" - forget it. Game publishers are there to sell games, not cater for fans and certainly any attempt at a game by one of the publishers you've listed would result in the source material being shoe-horned into an unsuitable medium (perhaps some dreadful hack and slash game with none of the humour of the comic). If you're hoping for an Order of the Stick MMO, that's as likely as me winning the lottery while being struck by lightning as a meteor hurtles straight for my head. Not going to happen.

A home made game would be more likely but again, I'm extremely doubtful as to whether it would be any good. Writing game code, developing graphics engines and testing for bugs and compatibility would take *years*. An adaption of the board game would probably be the most simple thing, with the illustrations lifted directly from the cards but even this has one major obstacle - the game is designed to be multiplayer and developing the code to co-ordinate the different game instances, through firewalls, routers, etc would be pretty challenging for most home developers.

Personally, I'd just buy the boardgame. It's a great way to pass an evening with friends and it also has the advantage of you being able to punch the annoying guy that's playing Belkar. You can't do that over the internet.

Maxios
2010-05-16, 11:48 AM
Anyway...maybe for the game, when fighting the giant summoned creature the imp summonded, the fight should be a little bit tougher.
Vaarsuvius just did Prismatic Spray or something, but in here the battle should be more action filled.

Lord Loss
2010-05-16, 11:54 AM
An RPGMaker 2 Campaign of this would be awesome. UIf Anyone knows how to operate that darned thing, that is...

Comet
2010-05-16, 11:55 AM
A good point n' click adventure game of OOTS would be all kinds of ace. You'd have plenty of time for story, character work, jokes and surreal solutions to even more surreal problems.

The Succubus
2010-05-16, 02:14 PM
A good point n' click adventure game of OOTS would be all kinds of ace. You'd have plenty of time for story, character work, jokes and surreal solutions to even more surreal problems.

The guy with the spicemuncher avatar is right on the money here. From a programming point of view, nice and straightforward to do, or at least compared to some of the other ideas here. Action games and RPGs come and go but a good point and click like Monkey Island & Day of the Tentacle stick in the mind for years.

Cealocanth
2010-05-17, 10:40 PM
I'm having trouble visualizing it. Would it be a 2d flat game like Mario? if it were 3d it's kinda mangle thwe whole stick figure art style. good idea though, I wonder if Rich'll go through with it.

Beankyu
2010-05-17, 10:44 PM
The games really addicts me. Wanna play it again and again.

Zevox
2010-05-17, 11:03 PM
I'm having trouble visualizing it. Would it be a 2d flat game like Mario? if it were 3d it's kinda mangle thwe whole stick figure art style.
Somebody not too long ago suggested Paper Mario style, which seems perfect for it to me.

Zevox

TheEndWasHere
2010-05-19, 05:52 PM
Final Fantasy:OoST Anyone?

xelliea
2010-05-30, 06:29 PM
good and evil missions

achivements

True Fighter: complete "xykon's lair" and unlock Roy in multiplayer.
True Bard: complete "land of the banjo worshipers" and unlock Elan in multiplayer.
True Wizard: complete "soul spliced" and unlock V in multiplayer.
True Ceric: complete "tree attack" and unlock Durkon in multiplayer.
True Ranger: complete "sexy shoeless god of war" and unlock Belkar in multiplayer.
True Rouge: complete "rouge's guild" and unlock Haley in multiplayer.
True Lich : complete "attack on azure city" and unlock Xykon in multiplayer.
True Goblin: complete "the dark one" and unlock Redcloak in multiplayer.
True Heretic: complete "the linear guild" and unlock Nale in multiplayer.
True Half-Orc: complete "battle of blood" and unlock Thog in multiplayer.
True Devil: complete "devils trials" and unlock Sabine in multiplayer.
Goblin of the people: heal 50 goblins as redcloak.
Red mage: defeat 50 enemys as V.
Great singer: buff 20 people as Elan.
Not true power: defeat V as Xykon.
Revenge at last: defeat Xykon as Roy.
Shades of red: defeat Redcloak as V.
True duty: defeat Roy as Redcloak.
Evil vs Stupid: defeat Elan as Nale.
Battle of the non-brainers: defeat Thog as Elan.
Gr8axe: defeat Haley as Thog
Gods and devils: defeat Sabine as Belkar
Pure evil: defeat Durkon as Sabine
The right choice: defeat the black dragon as V in under a minute.

Thats all of them.

ocdscale
2010-05-30, 06:45 PM
I think the combat should be turn based like D&D.
If it was real time, it would turn off people who disliked Oblivion and other real time combat games.
If it's turn based, then everyone will like it.

xelliea
2010-05-30, 07:04 PM
I think the combat should be turn based like D&D.
If it was real time, it would turn off people who disliked Oblivion and other real time combat games.
If it's turn based, then everyone will like it.

The kind of syle of play as LOTR: Conquest would work, that was fun or a turn based RPG is nice.
if conquest then here is the classes
archer
warrior
mage
scout

heros are
Good:
Roy: warrior
V: mage
Haley: archer
Belkar: scout
Durkon: mage
Elan: warrior with buffing song.
Evil:
Xykon: mage
Redcloak: mage
Thog: warrior
Nale: scout with some sort of AI charm.
Sabine: archer

Maxios
2010-05-31, 01:45 PM
The turn-based/real time situation is a problem. Make it turned based, then people who like real time won't play it. Make it real time, the people who like turned based and Dnd won't like it.
Perhaps console version would be real time then the DS and PSP would be turn based.

paladinlady
2010-05-31, 02:54 PM
good and evil missions

achivements

True Fighter: complete "xykon's lair" and unlock Roy in multiplayer.
True Bard: complete "land of the banjo worshipers" and unlock Elan in multiplayer.
True Wizard: complete "soul spliced" and unlock V in multiplayer.
True Ceric: complete "tree attack" and unlock Durkon in multiplayer.
True Ranger: complete "sexy shoeless god of war" and unlock Belkar in multiplayer.
True Rouge: complete "rouge's guild" and unlock Haley in multiplayer.
True Lich : complete "attack on azure city" and unlock Xykon in multiplayer.
True Goblin: complete "the dark one" and unlock Redcloak in multiplayer.
True Heretic: complete "the linear guild" and unlock Nale in multiplayer.
True Half-Orc: complete "battle of blood" and unlock Thog in multiplayer.
True Devil: complete "devils trials" and unlock Sabine in multiplayer.
Goblin of the people: heal 50 goblins as redcloak.
Red mage: defeat 50 enemys as V.
Great singer: buff 20 people as Elan.
Not true power: defeat V as Xykon.
Revenge at last: defeat Xykon as Roy.
Shades of red: defeat Redcloak as V.
True duty: defeat Roy as Redcloak.
Evil vs Stupid: defeat Elan as Nale.
Battle of the non-brainers: defeat Thog as Elan.
Gr8axe: defeat Haley as Thog
Gods and devils: defeat Sabine as Belkar
Pure evil: defeat Durkon as Sabine
The right choice: defeat the black dragon as V in under a minute.

Thats all of them.

here are a few level ideas based on the achievments posted by xelliea:
good:
dungeon of dorukan (is that spelt right): no boss play as roy
xykons lair: V beats redcloak
starmetal: semi boss V beats black dragon
walking the road: roy beats miko
land of the banjo worshipers: no boss play as elan
cliffport: elan beats thog
tree attack: durkon beats the druid (forget name)
Gods and devils: belkar beats sabine
battle of azure city: no boss play as haley
sexy shoeless god of war: belkar beats jirx (the hobgob leader)
the broken stick: no boss play as durkon
escape azure city: no boss play as haley
rouge's guild: haley beats crystal
soul spliced: super V beats big black dragon
roys return: roy beats Xykon

evil:

the linear guild: nale beats elan
xykons lair: xykon beats belkar
clifport: no boss play as nale
battle of blood: thog beats haley
taking the tower: no boss play as redcloak
attack on azure city: xykon beats soon's ghost
the dark one: redcloak beats roy
devils trials: sabine beats durkon
True power: xykon beats super V

Hawgh
2010-05-31, 04:56 PM
Wasn't there a flash game at some point?

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-31, 07:42 PM
The turn-based/real time situation is a problem. Make it turned based, then people who like real time won't play it. Make it real time, the people who like turned based and Dnd won't like it.
Perhaps console version would be real time then the DS and PSP would be turn based.

*Sigh*

As said before, a fan-made flash game would be the closest to OotS ever getting a game. Personally, I would think that would be a really cool idea. But for me, it would have to stay in 2D Stick Figure-Paper Mario Style to work.

Anyway, calm down a whole lot. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but seriously, you're getting ahead of yourself.

ocdscale
2010-05-31, 07:51 PM

Actually, I think the Xbox version should be first person ala Oblivion.
PS3 should be third person almost-over-the-shoulder ala God of War.
Wii should be third person birds-eye-view ala Diablo (or whatever the Wii equivalent is).
DS should be a menu driven JPRG like traditional Final Fantasy games.
PSP should be an action RPG more like Crisis Core.

I also think we should start discussing button mappings, because the consoles are very different in how they handle it.

Also, should touch screen functionality be relatively limited, or ingrained into the gameplay? This is especially important when we start thinking about iPhone/iPad apps. (Which should be a tactics style turn based RPG)

Edit: Obviously the PC game would either be a port of the consoles, or a MMO set in the stickverse. Should we start discussing the development cycle for this, or put it off until the other games build an audience?

xelliea
2010-05-31, 08:15 PM
Actually, I think the Xbox version should be first person ala Oblivion.
PS3 should be third person almost-over-the-shoulder ala God of War.
Wii should be third person birds-eye-view ala Diablo (or whatever the Wii equivalent is).
DS should be a menu driven JPRG like traditional Final Fantasy games.
PSP should be an action RPG more like Crisis Core.

I also think we should start discussing button mappings, because the consoles are very different in how they handle it.

Also, should touch screen functionality be relatively limited, or ingrained into the gameplay? This is especially important when we start thinking about iPhone/iPad apps. (Which should be a tactics style turn based RPG)

Edit: Obviously the PC game would either be a port of the consoles, or a MMO set in the stickverse. Should we start discussing the development cycle for this, or put it off until the other games build an audience?

PS3 and Xbox would have to be the same gameplay but good ideas.

Maxios
2010-05-31, 08:22 PM
The game should have changeable perspectives. So you can switch from third to first person.
Now '360 Controls
RT Trigger:: Attack
LT Trigger: Shield (if possible)
RB: Next Avaible Spell
LB: Previous Avaible SPell
A: Jump
X: Character Screen and Invertory
the Four Sqaure thing you press down: Swap character

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-31, 08:39 PM
The game should have changeable perspectives. So you can switch from third to first person.
Now '360 Controls
RT Trigger:: Attack
LT Trigger: Shield (if possible)
RB: Next Avaible Spell
LB: Previous Avaible SPell
A: Jump
X: Character Screen and Invertory
the Four Sqaure thing you press down: Swap character

...Are you even listening to us?

Maxios
2010-06-02, 12:09 PM
Now, I think for the game it should include areas and side quests NOT seen in the comic so that way if you're a huge fan of the comic and read it through many times, you get bored with the game because you know already what will happen.
The areas should have forests to explore, abadonded gold mines, and new towns to buy and sell items
I also think the game should have a dynamic physics system so that way you can use Bixby's Grasping Hand or whater spell V used on that imp you can lift a guy, throw him, poke him, etc.
The game should have a fallout 3 VATS mode style arrow launcher as Haley. You hold down a button as Haley and you get dynamic aiming with arrows where you can choose each part individually.
The game also shouldn't have to-many quick time event, only once every few hours.

DrGonzo
2010-06-02, 01:25 PM
...Are you even listening to us?

Probably not.

But that doesn't really matter, does it? There's nothing wrong with speculating and fantasizing about how an OOTS videogame would look like, and how it would play.

I like the idea of playing a first person Belkar, chopping away, Heretic style.. :smallsmile:

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-02, 01:33 PM
Probably not.

But that doesn't really matter, does it? There's nothing wrong with speculating and fantasizing about how an OOTS videogame would look like, and how it would play.

I like the idea of playing a first person Belkar, chopping away, Heretic style.. :smallsmile:

I guess not...

The_Admiral
2010-06-06, 11:26 PM
why don't you fire up the warcraft 3 map editor

Maxios
2010-06-10, 10:40 PM
I think the game should have a weaponry so you don't go through the whole game with 1 weapon in the case of the heroes.
You should be able to pick up weaponry from fallen foes and chests. Also, for some characters, their starter weapon should level up with them so it wouldn't make since if a dagger did more damae then Greenhilt.
The starter weapons should also be unbreakable while the picked up weapons can shatter if hit tough enough armor or swung to many times or subject to a spell or something.
If a weapon breaks a Spell should be able to fix it "Repair" or you could use a repair hammer (like the Elder Scrolls series) to fix up your broken weaponry, but if your weapon shatters and pieces fly everywhere you have to pick up every shard in order to fix it.

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-10, 11:15 PM
oots already has a game

The Succubus
2010-06-11, 10:17 AM
I guess not...

OoohS After the full blown RTS section made by the guys that did command and conquer we could have a 3d racing game where elan rides an dinosaur against v on a huge purple worm and don't forget we need to have a platform section where Ochul has to fight his way out of xykon's dungeon whileredcloak tries to stop him with a series of puzzle based spells which could be controlled by using wiimote to move his arms or on the ds you could draw magic goblin runes but for xbox and ps3 you'd have to do a series of quick time events and then once ochul makes it out he could lead a small group of ninjas against the army like a metal gear solid stealthy bit with gears of war shooting but instead of guns you have bows and arrows and special magic bows that look like guns with chainsaws bu this would be later on after the final fantay stage in the dungeon of durokon

Maxios
2010-06-11, 04:10 PM
I think in the times the group splits up (Don't Split the Party) the player should have a choice of which side to play.
You can either choose the side with the Azure Fleet or the side of the rebellion so that way it doesn't automatically have you control one side. If you choose, the game would be more fun to play.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-11, 10:48 PM
OoohS After the full blown RTS section made by the guys that did command and conquer we could have a 3d racing game where elan rides an dinosaur against v on a huge purple worm and don't forget we need to have a platform section where Ochul has to fight his way out of xykon's dungeon whileredcloak tries to stop him with a series of puzzle based spells which could be controlled by using wiimote to move his arms or on the ds you could draw magic goblin runes but for xbox and ps3 you'd have to do a series of quick time events and then once ochul makes it out he could lead a small group of ninjas against the army like a metal gear solid stealthy bit with gears of war shooting but instead of guns you have bows and arrows and special magic bows that look like guns with chainsaws bu this would be later on after the final fantay stage in the dungeon of durokon
Okay, that was good.

The rest of this thread gives me a peculiar Twilight Zone sort of feeling though.

Maxios
2010-06-12, 11:21 AM
I think if a character loses all his hit points, to be resurrected you have to pay either a sum of GP, use a diamond, or reach a Resurrection Point area.
But in order to bring the character around after being beaten (so you can get a diamond, more GP, or to a resurrection point in a video gmae that requires one of those to resurrect)
When you carry a HP-less guy around, you also carry all the objects on him, so you may end up being encumbered. So if you find a wagon like in Don't Split the party, it'd be a lot quicker.

Eloi
2010-06-12, 11:24 AM
It'd probably be best if it were officially licensed by Wizards of the Coast so as to avoid legal issues, however, its unlikely they'd be able to get licensing because OOTS uses 3.5 and WotC is focusing solely on 4.0 products. Thus I find an OOTS game very unlikely.

PallElendro
2010-06-12, 12:14 PM
Achievements
Letting Roy's Father Rest:
Adventurer: Beat the game on any difficulty. 20G
Easy as Pie: Beat the game on Easy. 15G
Appropriate Level Encounter: Beat the game on Normal 20G
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Player: Beat the game on Hard. 25G
Inappropriate Level Encounter: Beat the game on Epic. 40G
zOMG! How'd we do that? Beat the game on a New Game+ file. 20G

Questing:
Newbie: Complete a sidequest. 10G
Gotta Love the XP and Gold: Complete 5 Sidequests. 20G
Subplot-Runner: Complete all sidequests. 50G
Advenchurers 4 Hir3: Complete the Village Idiots quest. 20G
Dungeon of Dorukan: Complete the Dungeon of Dorukan Quest. 20G
Job's been filled. Complete Village Idiots Part 2. 20G
I See Water, Where's the Town?: Complete the Azure City Quest. 20G
What was I Saying?: Complete the Oracle Quest. 10G
You're Fixed!: Secret. 10G
Breaking the Stick: Complete the Battle of Azure City quest. 30G
Mending the Stick: Complete the Reunion of the Order quest. 30G
DADDY!: Find Elan's Father. 5G
(Remaining Quests detailed per storyline)

Fighting:
Linear Fail: Defeat the Linear Guild. 10G
Goblinthwacker: Kill 125 Goblins or Hobgoblins 20G
Undead Turner: Kill 100 Undead. 20G
Angel: Kill 25 Demons (or devils, you know?) 20G
Sexy Shoeless God of War: Complete the Belkar's Dream Death of 1000 Hobgoblins without retrying. 10G
I Drömmarnas Land: Complete the Vaarsuvius' Dream Gladiator Fight without retrying. 10G

Miscellaneous:
I Found It!: Secret. 100G
Do I get XP for killing this moment? Skip all cutscenes. 50G
It started at the dawn of time... Don't skip any cutscenes. 50G
Stick to the script, dude. Beat Miko in the Battle Royale, defeat Xykon as Darth Vaarsuvius, and find The Room That Never Appeared in the Comic. 50G

Multiplayer
Gimme Gimme GIMME!: Secret 10G
Brains vs. Brawn: Defeat Roy as Vaarsuvius or vice versa. 5G
I Love You, But I Have to do This: Defeat Elan as Haley, or vice versa. 5G
Smackin' Ye Upisde yer Fool Head: Defeat Elan as Durkon. 5G
We're Still a Team: Beat a Co-op game with 4 PCs. 5G
5 Rounds from Now: Beat a Co-op game in under 5 minutes. 5G

All future achievements will be edited.

The Succubus
2010-06-12, 07:59 PM
I'm enjoying the terrific two-way dialogue we're having with the OP. He has a good, realistic sense of what to expect from a potential Order of the Stick game and I would certainly trust his hand at the helm when the creative directors, game designers, UI development team and even the Giant himself all turn to him for his sage wisdom.

I think I'd better stay away from this thread in future otherwise my inner troll is going to go into overload.

Maxios
2010-06-12, 08:22 PM
:smallsmile:
I think 2d20 days after
the Star Metal Side Quest is when Miko should appear. That shoud be enough in game days to explore a few dungeons. If you're in a dungeon after the 2d20 number, than as soon as you exit Miko attacks.

Balain
2010-06-13, 04:10 AM
An OOTS video game would be cool. Oblivion style, adventure style, RTS, all don't work for OOTS though. OOTS game has to be 2D, They are stick figures, going to any sort of 3D engine would ruin it I think. Never really played paper mario, but from what I remember seeing of it that might work.

There actually is a way to play board games on a computer, and I believe even multiplayer. If someone wanted to make a module for http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php you could play the board game on the computer

Maxios
2010-06-13, 10:30 AM
Now, there's another problem with 2D vs 3D situation.
Make it 2D, paper mario style, people who dislike paper mario will not want to play it.
Make it a 3D video game like Oblivion, people who wanted paper mario style won't play it.
Solution: Consoles 3D. Handhelds: 2D
So that way the console gamers get their virtual OOTS video game and the handheld gamers or guys who like Paper Mario style adventures get their 2D game.

Stmr5000
2010-06-13, 04:09 PM
This reminded me of an idea I had.

Failing the making of a game by a big league company, I can't help but think that a very good OOTS game could be made using the Warcraft 3 map editor, implying that someone skilled in the program was at the helm.

Maxios
2010-06-14, 02:42 PM
I think the Order of the stick game should include swimming. I don't think it should be a video game where if you go to far in water, you automatically drown. I think you should be able to swim, but if you carry to much you sink.
You should also be able to smash objects. For example, a troll grabs Roy and throws him. If roy hits a door or a wooden crate, it should smash.
Ragdoll physics should also be in the game so you don't get bored when every goblin is beat the same way, and instead each defeat is diffrent like in the Force Unleashed.

Maxios
2010-06-15, 10:24 AM
I think the first Miko fight should be have special fighting conditions
The rain heavily lowers the chance of V's spells
The wind causes Haley's spells to shoot and go in all kinds of directions.
Durkon in unusable due to his staying out of the fight.
The fifth hit causes Miko's hood to fall off.
Miko focuses on attacking the weakest.
After everything is resolved, the rail roading begins!

I think after the fight Miko should join as a member that only stays until Azure City's reached. But if you control Miko, you can choose where to go! If Miko's defeated, she get's back up in one minute with one fourth of their hit point total.
Also, when Miko levels up and you go through leveling up and edit her, whenever you fight Miko that's how she is. So when Miko is a party member for a short time, if you make her focus on ranged, when you fight her she'll use ranged weapons, but if you make her focus on the game's worst weapon on purpose, you can beat her very quickly later on.

Maxios
2010-06-18, 05:01 PM
I think the game should have an in depth multiplayer system where you can explore the area, quest, loot, and level up.
And when player two is done, and they have to do is drop out and the game goes back to normal one player mode.

DrGonzo
2010-06-19, 10:41 AM
Editing instead of double posting isn't really your thing, is it?

sol-decentguy
2010-06-20, 12:15 PM
I definitely think a beat em up like castle crashers would work as a great medium to make an OOTS game. Hook it up with some net play and it would become an easy way to get all the characters playable:smallbiggrin:

Maxios
2010-06-25, 01:10 PM
Perhaps the game could have unlockable mini games. Maybe a guitar hero style one for when Elan plays hit Lute titled "Lute Hero", a game with the Belkster where you jump high and you have to keep landing on bird to go ups and try to stay real high. When you land, you end up beating a goblin. This mini game would be titled "The Belkster's Jump".
The next for Haley could probably be a Super Mario style game where at the end of every level you get a bag of loot titled "Loot Dash."
Roy's could be a Castle Crasher style game.
Vaarsuvius' mini game could be a Bejewled Style game where the symbols, instead of being jewlels, are elvish runes.
Durkon's could be an Space Invaders, style game, where instead of asteroids or aliens, the foes are trees, and the space ship is instead Durkon using Thor's Lightning.
Let's say in the game you're playing as Elan. You like the costume he has now, but you find some armor. This armor gives you a big defense bonus, but you don't want to have to took off the cool costume you have for Elan. You can set the costume to the appearence, then the armor for the stats.
The same should be for weapons, so if you like Haley's sword thing she took from Crystal, but if you find a better weapon, you can do that.
Also: Does anyone have ideas for side quests or new areas or something in that area?

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-26, 11:46 PM
All in all, I do believe you've described the most convoluted, disjointed, joyless video gaming experience possible. I bet Rich can't wait to get this into development.

Maxios
2010-06-29, 02:38 PM
The Star Metal Quest
If you decide to skip the Star Metal quest, you should pay 100 GP to fix the sword.
Or you can get the Star Metal and loot, and sell the Star Metal for a high amount and get Greenhilt normally fixed.
If you get Greenhilt fixed with Starmetal, you do +5 DMG with all hits, and +10 against all forms of undead (Skeletons, Zombies, Shadows, Liches, Ghouls, Ghasts, and Vampires)
Also, the Forest would also have to be more fleshed out. Some more encounters and bad guys.The Black Dragon should be a very tough fight, especcialy since Vaarsuvius is in Lizard Form and only has Suggestion.
Suggestion would have a 1/10 chance of working on the Dragon. As soon as it works, the fight is over. You can then control the Dragon (for the 5 minute duration), slay it with Disintergrate (after Vaarsuvius is normal), or take it to the nearest town and sell it for big GP.
When Vaarsuvius is in Lizard Form he has very low HP, can't talk to any party member, can't talk to any NPC, and only has Hold Portal and Suggestion. If Vaarsuvius slayed while in Lizard Form, if Resurrected he is also in Lizard Form. While in Lizard form, others must carry everything that Vaarsuvius had before his turning to Lizard.
The Lizard Turning is a set event that always happens and never can be skipped if this quest is ran.

Inhuman Bot
2010-06-29, 09:50 PM
All in all, I do believe you've described the most convoluted, disjointed, joyless video gaming experience possible. I bet Rich can't wait to get this into development.

Just what I was thinking! Now excuse me as I break out the disjointed text.

Don't.

Double.

Post.

Once or twice? Sure.

The odd bump? Fair enough.

But you've done it how many times? Five. Really. Is it that hard to just use the edit button? I don't mean to come off as overtly rude, but really, it's simple, it's rules-friendly, and it's polite.

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-29, 09:53 PM
Just what I was thinking! Now excuse me as I break out the disjointed text.

Don't.

Double.

Post.

Once or twice? Sure.

The odd bump? Fair enough.

But you've done it how many times? Five. Really. Is it that hard to just use the edit button? I don't mean to come off as overtly rude, but really, it's simple, it's rules-friendly, and it's polite.

Don't bother. He doesn't even seem to notice posts like this, for some reason.

blunk
2010-06-29, 11:25 PM
I think the Order of the stick game should include swimming. I don't think it should be a video game where if you go to far in water, you automatically drown. I think you should be able to swim, but if you carry to much you sink.
You should also be able to smash objects. For example, a troll grabs Roy and throws him. If roy hits a door or a wooden crate, it should smash.
Ragdoll physics should also be in the game so you don't get bored when every goblin is beat the same way, and instead each defeat is diffrent like in the Force Unleashed.I feel stupid that it took me four pages to realize what was going on in this thread, but now I have to tip my hat to you. Very nice.

Erts
2010-06-30, 12:02 AM
MAXIOS.
THIS IS DIRECTED AT YOU.

EDIT: Damn, this entire post came off as harsh, really, I'm not trying to be rude or cruel, (I'm actually more polite on the internet than off it, cause I'm paranoid I could be the person to push someone over the edge.) I'm just trying to get your attention. Really, I think so eo f your ideas might have some merit, but I think you should listen too our feedback, and the rest of this post.

You have some ideas, yes, but please, don't double post.
2nd, I think you should share your love of this comic with one of the 40,000 other fans on this forum right now.

Look, you won't be the first to make beginners errors, and you won't be the last.
However, you look, how should I say, less and less intelligent or even able to be communicated with the more you IGNORE OUR POSTS.

This is not meant to come out rude, just, please man, I'm begging you, listen to all of the people in this thread.
And, there have been ideas like this before. Rich would not want to do this for several reasons
1. It would be hard to adapt a friggin stick figure comic based on DND into a non turnbased game.
2. He wouldn't be able to secure the rights with Wizards of the Coast, who own DND, and he would be making money of a similar like game to one WOTC already has. (DND Online.)
3. What publisher would finance this idea? Yes, this is one of my favorite stories, but I cannot see it as a live action video game.
4. Who would buy it? 40,000 fans, yes, but most video games usually go over 100,000, and any successful one over a 1,000,000.
5. What if it is not a good game? Would Rich really want it to be associated with his comic?

Rich is the kind of man who wants to stay in charge of his own work, that way, if it sucks, it is his fault, and if it is amazing, it is his doing.

Overall, MAXIOS PLEASE READ THIS.

Maxios
2010-06-30, 04:32 PM
I won't double post. Now, I think either Activision or EA would make the game. Probably nearly every OOTs fan would buy the game. The game would also attract those who never heard of the Order of the Stick, causing more people to read the comic and buy the merchandise. The game would not use the DnD system, and would tweak some DnD stuff or get WOTC's permission. The game would be well worked on and stay as true to the comic as possible so it'd go well received.
The Handheld version would be turn based.
The game would be a CGI adaption that looks like the comics, so no "realistic" Force Unleashed adaption. The game would be an Action RPG style game where players control the Order of the Stick through and open world where they can explore newer dungeons, and follow the main plot.
The game would be published on the PS3, XBOX 360, DS, and possibly PSP.
The game would try to secure a T rating. A demo would be made including a level cap, a small area, and up the third floor of the dungeon, to see if the Demo is well received. If the demo is received well by fans and reviewers, then more of the game would be made.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-30, 11:06 PM
No offence, Maxios, but your imagining of how the video games industry works is VERY different to the reality. Developers don't take on licenses in order to stay perfectly true to the source material and keep the über-fans happy. They do it to appeal to as many people as possible, and they will not hesitate to change things in order to do that. There isn't going to be a true-to-the comic OotS video game, ever. It's just far too much of a niche thing to bother with, and I absolutely guarantee neither EA or Activision (or any of the other big names) would touch it with a barge-pole.

Also if the game were to follow the plot of the comic, the developers would have to wait until Rich is done writing it; I wouldn't bother worrying about which machines it'll be released on, 'cause we'll be onto the next generation of consoles by that point. :smallwink:

A demo would be made including a level cap, a small area, and up the third floor of the dungeon, to see if the Demo is well received. If the demo is received well by fans and reviewers, then more of the game would be made.
That's not how demos work. If the game isn't in a very advanced state of production, if not already finished, then any demo made of it is going to be practically unplayable. Demos only exist as a teaser for a forthcoming product; I very much doubt there has been a single game in history that had a fully-functioning, playable demo merely as a way to gage the public's interest and see if the programmers should bother continuing with what they've already done.

I mean, what a huge waste of time and money if it turns out no one cares, eh?

Trazoi
2010-07-01, 12:06 AM
Also if the game were to follow the plot of the comic, the developers would have to wait until Rich is done writing it; I wouldn't bother worrying about which machines it'll be released on, 'cause we'll be onto the next generation of consoles by that point. :smallwink:
These hypothetical OotS games would have to aim for the next generation regardless, given the amount of content that's been planned for them. :smallwink:

Given its niche appeal, a OotS game would only be made by a smaller developer, much in the same way as the Penny Arcade game or the Strong Bad adventure game. Or alternatively as a series of Flash or iPhone mini-games completely separated from the main plot.

Me, I'd like to see some OotS card games along the lines of Munchkin. That could be pretty sweet.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-01, 01:34 AM
No offence, Maxios, but your imagining of how the video games industry works is VERY different to the reality.
...That was all my last post said originally, then I thought I'd edit and go into more detail.

I see I needn't have bothered; that one sentence will suffice.

EDIT: This post seems rather unnecessary since Maxios deleted his previous reply.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-01, 01:47 AM
Maxios, do you actually expect this to happen?

If not,that's fine. You can make up whatever you want.

If so, You're really going to be let down.

The Succubus
2010-07-01, 06:30 AM
Maybe the Mouth of Sunken Valley and Maxios should have a talk off competition.

Roc Ness
2010-07-01, 07:02 AM
Personally, I would expect it to be a Kingdom of Loathing style game. Just saying.

I mean, stick figures, pop culture references, general cheesiness, turn-based combat, a war-where-you-fight-one-guy-at-a-time-with-stuff-happening-in-the-background... it just seems to tie in with OotS in a wierd way.

DrGonzo
2010-07-01, 08:06 AM
But you've done it how many times? Five.

Methinks you mean eight..

Erts
2010-07-01, 01:11 PM
... I'm pretty sure that NOT every OOTS fan would buy it. Really.

Most people don't buy the supplementary prequel books, do you really think that more than a few thousand would really consider this game?

Rich is the kind of man who wants to stay in charge of his own work, that way, if it sucks, it is his fault, and if it is amazing, it is his doing.

Look, I'm sorry, but I suggest you talk with Rich about this, not just posting on and on in this thread.

The Succubus
2010-07-01, 04:02 PM
Look, I'm sorry, but I suggest you talk with Rich about this, not just posting on and on in this thread.

Let us know how that turns out. Seriously, I'd be interested.

imp_fireball
2010-07-04, 12:16 AM
Honestly, if OotS ever were to make money as a videogame, it'd probably appear in something like XBL marketplace (which penny arcade, another stoner webcomic about gamer geeks, did). Nothing more.

It's a stick figure webcomic. Not the next prince of persia, or dragon age, or halo or final fantasy.

That said, I wouldn't count it as turn based. Maybe side scroller with some slight 3d elements and, at the very best, physics (which is something I'd like to see). Very little of the D&D system would actually be noticeable in anyway to attract the attention of wizard's lawyers (just call it 'generic fantasy' like warhammer or warcraft; the D&D elements might be hidden in the code), although the fluff and inspiration could still say (like ie., Roy has a big sword swinging attack that is sort of like power attack and then there's great cleave).