PDA

View Full Version : Rules on Discussion of Violence

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-13, 12:15 PM
Two questions about forum policies on posts about violence.

1) While the Inappropriate Topics involve discussion of graphic violence, it does not mention advocating or suggesting use of violence, even if jokingly or mild. Would it be safe to assume that this is an oversight? Or is it covered by another rule?

((I notice the Hate Speech part now, but it still doesn't seem extensive enough, as it only covers advocating violence as a result of prejudice.))

2) What are the limits of violence in PbP games? While I assume we should not go into too much detail on decapitations, debowelizations and defenestrations, most action games will naturally include some violence at some point. Considering the PG-13 rating of the board, what would be a good limit for what we can post in these games?

Thank you in advance.

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-13, 12:49 PM
First, discussion of graphic violence includes suggesting and advocating but is, of course, much broader. Please don't do it. There's a certain amount of milder violence that is fine, but any violent comments directed at another poster is unacceptable.

In PbP, it's hard to specify because it's a shared fiction, but let me say this: try for PG-13, don't fetishize/dwell on/focus on the violence or gore, don't exceed the agreed upon level of description of violence/gore among the players, and when in doubt, tone it down or don't post.