PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Metamorph (Base Class)

Iun
2010-05-13, 02:50 PM
I have been disappointed by any shapeshifter class or prestige class out there, as basically all of them revolve around variants of the polymorph spell plus a few combat gimmicks, so I decided to make my own.

The metamorph uses the same magic as a sorcerer, but instead of channeling it into casting the spells of wizards, the metamorph uses his powers to alter his body into basically anything he finds useful. In game terms this means mixing a number of known mechanics (polymorph, spells) with new ones like changing only parts of the body into different items, including magical ones. For orientation I used the master of many forms and warshaper prestige classes for the morphing and the artificer (mainly the xp pool) for the item emulation.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the power level of this first draft in comparison to the phb classes, as well as on the placing and naming of the special abilities. I don't know how to handle the fact that a metamorph would have a lot more money left than other characters, but that could potentially solved by in game situations instead of specific rules. By the way, I calculated the craft xp pool by cutting 1000 gp (high quality standard gear) from the wealth by level table's entries and dividing that by 25 (magic items cost 1/25 of the gp in xp). Also, by "studying" a creature, I mean either interacting with it for at least one hour, or succeeding in an appropriate knowledge check, DC 10 + creature's hit dice.

Metamorph

d6, 4+Int Skill Points: Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge(All), Profession, Psicraft, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Survival, Use Magic Device

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Craft XP|Spell/Power Level
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Mutable Features|0|-
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Polymorph(Objects)|0|0
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Craft Self, Mutable Body (+1)|68|1
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Polymorph I, Mutable Mind (+1)|176|1
5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Diehard|320|1
6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Immunity to Disease|480|2
7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|Polymorph II, Mutable Body (+2,+1), Morphic Immunity|720|2
8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+6|Mutable Mind (+2,+1), Fast Change|1040|3
9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+6|Mutable Reach|1400|3
10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+7|Polymorph III, Mutable Healing|1920|4
11th|+8/+3|+7|+3|+7|Mutable Body (+3,+2), Extraordinary Polymorph|2600|4
12th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|Mutable Mind (+3,+2)|3480|5
13th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|Polymorph IV|4360|5
14th|+10/+5|+9|+4|+9|Chimeric Form I|5960|6
15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+5|+9|Mutable Body (+4,+3)|7960|6
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Polymorph V, Mutable Mind (+4,+3)|10360|7
17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Sleepless, Chimeric Form II|13560|7
18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Immunity to Poison, Supernatural Polymorph|17560|8
19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Polymorph VI, Mutable Body (+5,+4)|23160|8
20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Mutable Mind (+5,+4), Immortality|30360|9[/table]

Mutable Features(Su):
At 1st level, the metamorph gains a supernatural ability similar to the Alter Self spell. He can use this ability at will; it only effects the metamorph's body, which in addition to the spell description can be changed to look as if he was wearing clothing and can also emulate mundane weapons and armor. The ability actually changes the metamorph's body, so it provides all the properties of the changed body. Only a True Seeing spell reveals the metamorph's true form. As with all the metamorph's abilities, he must have seen and studied a person or creature to take their exact appearance, and he must have seen and studied a piece of clothing before he can imitate it accurately. For more complex pieces of clothing, as well as any other manufactured items, the metamorph must succeed at an appropriate craft check with the same DC it would take to make the item.

Polymorph(Objects)(Su):
As he gains levels, the metamorph's shapechanging abilities become more powerful and diverse. At level 2, he gains the ability to change into inanimate objects or different types of terrain at will. As with all his abilities, the metamorph must have studied the object or terrain to accurately assume its shape. If the object is manufactured, he must succeed at an appropriate craft skill check against the DC needed to craft the object. If he fails the metamorph will not be able to accurately imitate the desired object. Changing into an object takes a full-round action.

Craft Self(Su):
At level 3, the metamorph gains the ability to take Item Creation feats (Caster Level = Class Level) and utilize them to mimic magic items like he can already mimic mundane items. To do that he must succeed at a Use Magic Device skill check for each spell that is needed to create the magic item, the DC being the same as if trying to cast it from a scroll using UMD. If the checks succeed, the metamorph successful mimics the item, including all its magic properties until he changes into a shape which wouldn't fit the emulated items, until he changes the items themselves, or until the emulated items are destroyed or removed from the metamorph's body. To mimic a magic item, the metamorph must have seen and studied the item (including an identify spell, either cast by the metamorph or someone else while the metamorph is present). The maximum number and kind of items is determined by the Craft XP pool. The sum of xp needed to create the magic items utilized may not be higher than the current Craft XP pool. For every UMD check required, emulating an item takes one full-round action.

Spell/Psionic Transformation:
The metamorph can "cast/manifest" any spell/power that he has watched being performed, and has properly identified with a Spellcraft/Psicraft check. In addition the spell must either have the range personal or touch, or its area must include the metamorph when it is being cast/manifested (potentially damaging him in the process). If, during the spell's duration, the requirements are not longer met, the spell ends immediately. Casting/Manifesting a spell/power in this manner requires a standard action and a successful Use Magic Device check DC 20+spell level. The caster level is equal to (half the metamoprh's class levels) + (umd check result - umd DC) with a maximum equal to the metamorph's class levels. All casting/manifesting is charisma-based.

Mutable Body(Su):
At 3rd level, the metamorph gains a +1 bonus to a physical attribute of his choice, which he might redistribute as a standard action at any time. At 7th level the bonus increases to +2 for one attribute and an additional +1 for another. The bonuses increase further according to the table.

Mutable Mind(Su):
At 3rd level, the metamorph gains a +1 bonus to a mental attribute of his choice, which he might redistribute as a standard action at any time. At 7th level the bonus increases to +2 for one attribute and an additional +1 for another. The bonuses increase further according to the table.

Polymorph I to IV(Su):
At the appropriate levels the metamorph chooses a creature type. He can now transform into any creature of that type as of the rules of the polymorph spell, but at will, with unlimited duration, no regaining of hit points, and the metamorph must have seen and studied and studied a creature to assume its form.

Diehard:
The metamorph gains the Diehard feat without having to meet its prerequisites.

Immunity to Disease(Su):
The metamorph can negate any disease he catches by spending a full minute constantly changing his shape.

Morphic Immunities(Su):
The metamorph gains immunity to stunning and critical hits.

Fast Change(Su):
The metamorph's abilities (except for his spellcasting/manifesting abilities) now require less time to perform. Reduce the time needed by one step: Move Action < Standard Action < Full Round Action < One Minute

Mutable Reach(Su):
The metamorph gains the ability to suddenly stretch his limbs, giving him 5 more feet of reach.

Mutable Healing(Su):
The metamorph gains fast healing 2.

Extraordinary Polymorph(Su):
When changing shape, the metamorph also gains any extraordinary special abilites of the assumed shape.

Chimeric Form I and II(Su):
The metamorph gains the ability to combine the form of two creatures. He gains the higher ability scores of each physical attribute, the higher damage value for each of the new creatures natural attacks of the same type of limb, and all special abilites according to the polymorph spell's description. If any abilites contradict each other (e.g. vulnerability to fire and immunity to fire) they cancel each other out. Assuming such a form is far more taxing than a normal change of shape. After a number of rounds equal to his constitution modifier the metamorph must return to non-chimeric form. At 17th level the metamorph can combine the characteristics of three creatures. This abiliy may be used once per encounter.

Sleepless(Su):
The metamorph loses the ability to sleep. He also doesn't require any sleep anymore.

Immunity to Poison(Su):
The metamorph's anatomy becomes too unusual for any poison to have any effect on him.

Supernatural Polymorph(Su):
When changing shape, the metamorph also gains all supernatural abilities of the assumed shape.

Immortality(Su):
The metamorph no longer ages, and will no longer die of old age. Aging bonuses still accrue.