PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity Killed the Catfolk?

Pelfaid
2010-05-13, 04:40 PM
Now that I have drawn you in...

I am looking at running the RHoD this summer and one of my players has expressed interest in being a Catfolk. Specifically, she wants to be Dragonborn Catfolk Binder. I have no problem with this but I was wondering what the playground thinks of Catfolk as the base race for Dragonborn since they have the LA.

The way I understand it, the only thing she would keep would be the move speed and stat adjustments and everything else would disappear. So is that right and then what do you all think about that combo?

Pelfaid

PId6
2010-05-13, 04:55 PM
The LA makes it pretty meh. +4 Dex/+2 Cha and some extra speed is not worth a lost level, but it's not horrible. Definitely not even close to an optimized choice though. I'd suggest allowing LA buyoff so it's at least a better choice.

Greenish
2010-05-13, 05:15 PM
The way I understand it, the only thing she would keep would be the move speed and stat adjustments and everything else would disappear. So is that right and then what do you all think about that combo?That's right, and it's not a terribad option if LA buyout is allowed.

Humans are still probably better for almost anything.

Tao the Ninja
2010-05-13, 05:30 PM
Unfortunately, I really like the Catfolk flavor... ( I have a comic series about a cat ninja (named Tao) ), so unless I homebrew a Catfolk at 0 LA, Im kinda stuck with the LA.

PId6
2010-05-13, 05:36 PM
Humans are still probably better for almost anything.
Not for becoming dragonborn! :smalltongue:

Pluto
2010-05-13, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately, I really like the Catfolk flavor... ( I have a comic series about a cat ninja (named Tao) ), so unless I homebrew a Catfolk at 0 LA, Im kinda stuck with the LA.
:smallconfused:
Ability score increases are the only things that justify their LA.
Dropping those numbers is hardly an intensive process.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-13, 05:51 PM
Well... they also have access to the Catfolk Pounce Feat... :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-05-13, 05:57 PM
Well... they also have access to the Catfolk Pounce Feat... :smallbiggrin:Access to racial feats, even powerful ones, doesn't warrant LA.
*cough*dragonwrought*cough*
*cough*able learner*cough*

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-13, 06:03 PM
If you can buy off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) (spend 3,000 xp at your third class level and it goes to +0) it's definitely playable, especially since you'd get to keep most of what they get. I would even consider allowing the character to keep the racial +1 natural armor bonus, since it would definitely fit the appearance of a Dragonborn.

Thurbane
2010-05-13, 10:34 PM
Hellbred are another race that make decent Binders.

Dragonborn Catfolk should be OK, if LA buyoff is allowed. That extra 10ft movement will be nice for binding Paimon.

..it always struck me as a bit naff that Dragonborn lose natural AC bonuses. "Hey, I'm covered in scales, which provide less protection than my old skin did." :smallconfused: