Level: Clr 3, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Effect: 5-ft. square stone wall
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a wall of rock that merges into adjoining rock surfaces. The wall is 1 inch thick per four caster levels and is 5ft square. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.

The wall must always be a flat and featureless plane and must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone.

Like any other stone wall, this one can be destroyed by a disintegrate spell or by normal means such as breaking and chipping. Each 5-foot square of the wall has 15 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8. If a creature tries to break through the wall with a single attack, the DC for the Strength check is 20 + 2 per inch of thickness.

The idea is for a fun and flavoursome take on Wings of Cover, that will give the party archivist something good to do with his spell slots, and his swift actions. :smallsmile:

This is a spell which truely sacrifices power for flavour.

Eurus
2010-05-13, 05:02 PM
Well it's powerful, but like you pointed out, so is Wings of Cover. This has the advantage of letting you guard allies instead of yourself if you want and the wall remains, but isn't as foolproof. The requirement to merge with existing stone is a decent limitation too, since it narrows down the environments it can be used in. I'd call it weaker than Wings of Cover for that alone, but it's still a nice looking spell. Probably relatively balanced.

Myou
2010-05-13, 05:05 PM
Well it's powerful, but like you pointed out, so is Wings of Cover. This has the advantage of letting you guard allies instead of yourself if you want and the wall remains, but isn't as foolproof. The requirement to merge with existing stone is a decent limitation too, since it narrows down the environments it can be used in. I'd call it weaker than Wings of Cover for that alone, but it's still a nice looking spell. Probably relatively balanced.

Awesome, thanks for your feedback! :3

Dvandemon
2010-05-13, 05:57 PM
If its like a weaker Wings of Covers, then it should be a lower level in case you want to use the Wings spell slot for something else.

arguskos
2010-05-13, 06:39 PM
This is a spell which truely sacrifices power for flavour.
Do you have to give up your familiar too? I seem to recall you hated those references with a burning passion, and yet, here one is, in your post. Funny, that.

As for the spell, Eurus got most of it down for me. Question though: why is the stone spell a higher level for Druids, the natural world casters? Drop it to Druid 3.

DracoDei
2010-05-13, 06:44 PM
If you are sure about the 1 inch thickness, then apply that to the last paragraph of the spell itself so it ends up thus:

Like any other stone wall, this one can be destroyed by a disintegrate spell or by normal means such as breaking and chipping. It has 15 hit points and a hardness 8. If a creature tries to break through the wall with a single attack, the DC for the Strength check is 22.

Myou
2010-05-14, 01:49 AM
If its like a weaker Wings of Covers, then it should be a lower level in case you want to use the Wings spell slot for something else.

Actually, I think that it's about as good as wings, more flexable but not quite as powerful, but wings is a 2nd level spell. I just think this is too good for 2nd level.

Do you have to give up your familiar too? I seem to recall you hated those references with a burning passion, and yet, here one is, in your post. Funny, that.

As for the spell, Eurus got most of it down for me. Question though: why is the stone spell a higher level for Druids, the natural world casters? Drop it to Druid 3.

Well hated with a burning passion is putting it too strongly, it's just a stupid meme. :smallconfused:
I'm sick of seeing them, but if I hadn't said it someone else would have, after reading the paragraph where I talked about flavour.

Because it's based on Wall of Stone, which is higher level for druids. :o

If you are sure about the 1 inch thickness, then apply that to the last paragraph of the spell itself so it ends up thus:

Ah, but it's 1 inch per four caster levels. And I left that four out of the spell text, oops. XD

sigurd
2010-05-14, 03:40 AM
I think its dangerous that you are balancing this against only one spell. Access to this spell would change all mining, tunneling and fortress building.

Is the stone of any particular colour etc?

What are its material requirements?

Its too powerful for level 3 IMHO.

deuxhero
2010-05-14, 08:22 AM
I'd make the wall packed dirt (that would go down the instant something worth bothering with hits it), rather than stone.

Myou
2010-05-14, 10:45 AM
I think its dangerous that you are balancing this against only one spell. Access to this spell would change all mining, tunneling and fortress building.

Is the stone of any particular colour etc?

What are its material requirements?

Its too powerful for level 3 IMHO.

I'm sorry, can you elaborate? How does it change mining, tunneling or fortress building?

I didn't give it material components.

I'd make the wall packed dirt (that would go down the instant something worth bothering with hits it), rather than stone.

Well, dirt wouldn't really stay up though, would it?

deuxhero
2010-05-14, 01:59 PM
That's the point.

Myou
2010-05-14, 02:07 PM
That's the point.

Oh, right, yeah. Sorry, having a bit of a 'special' day.

I like the stone theme though, what if it was just a fragile stone wall? Not gaining bonus HP or thickness for caster level?