PDA

View Full Version : Headphone hunt!

wojonatior
2010-05-13, 04:48 PM
I have been using These (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665376501)for a while and recently they died. So, I was wondering if you any of you forumites knew of any similar models made by a company other then Sony. I think I also had a different model by Sony that was almost identical. I would greatly appreciate the help, I have tried looking before on the internet, but to no avail.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-13, 04:50 PM
Monster Beats by Dr. Dre. Get the older, bigger model, since the smaller ones tend to break. They run about $315. They are literally orgasms for your ears.

EDIT: Derp, didn't actually read that right. Either way, get the Beats. XD

Legoshrimp
2010-05-13, 04:56 PM
I would suggest looking on amazon they have a good selection and good prices normally. No specific suggestions.

Deth I somehow doubt he plans on upgrading from $15 headphones to $315 :smalltongue:

Edit: is something like This (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS5200-Reflective-Neckband-Headphones/dp/B000QS2XS8/ref=pd_cp_e_0) what your looking for?

wojonatior
2010-05-13, 07:49 PM
Yea, that looks good, thanks. I have seen those before...

But deth, If I had the money, I would totally get some nice headphones. These are just the replacements for my Ipod headphones, I still need to get some better ones for my computer

Legoshrimp
2010-05-13, 09:49 PM
I prefer actual in ear ones for my ipod. such as these (http://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Earphones-Travel-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B002RWJD7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273805268&sr=8-2-catcorr) I have never used these specific ones but just as an example of the type.
And for my computer I am using these (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM30-ATH-M30-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273805343&sr=1-7)

wojonatior
2010-05-13, 10:47 PM
Well I had some skullcandy in ear headphones, but they fell apart. I got the over ear headphones next and I liked them much better. Becuase I have tons of earwax. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-05-14, 12:44 AM
Oh, I'm not saying the Beats are necessarily a realistic thing, but it should be something you work for. ^_^

Superglucose
2010-05-14, 12:52 AM
If you're going to spend $300 on headphones get Bose noise canceling headphones.

arguskos
2010-05-14, 12:53 AM
If you're going to spend $300 on headphones get Bose noise canceling headphones.
Have 'em. Love 'em. Recommend 'em. :smallcool:

Deth Muncher
2010-05-14, 01:47 AM

I contest this. The Beats are both noise cancelling, and better at bass. I say this not only from my amateur experience trying them out in the store side by side, but also from my father's experience, who used to work as a sound technician in a recording studio and told me that the Beats were "the best sounding headphones [he'd] worn since [he] worked in the studio."

Archonic Energy
2010-05-14, 04:04 AM
I contest this. The Beats are both noise cancelling, and better at bass. I say this not only from my amateur experience trying them out in the store side by side, but also from my father's experience, who used to work as a sound technician in a recording studio and told me that the Beats were "the best sounding headphones [he'd] worn since [he] worked in the studio."

i constest this.
i work in a Datacentre and the active noise cancelling on my Bose QC3 headphones coupled with their snug fit on the ears block out the background and allow me to listen to my music, the bass is strong but not overpowering and the Mid and high range are sharp and crisp.

and this'll be the problem you come across when asking about headphones. everyone has their own opinion, what you should do is go and test as many as possible and find the ones that are right for you.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-14, 04:29 AM
i constest this.
i work in a Datacentre and the active noise cancelling on my Bose QC3 headphones coupled with their snug fit on the ears block out the background and allow me to listen to my music, the bass is strong but not overpowering and the Mid and high range are sharp and crisp.

and this'll be the problem you come across when asking about headphones. everyone has their own opinion, what you should do is go and test as many as possible and find the ones that are right for you.

OHAI. Y'know what? I rescind my contestation. Reason being, I tried the $100 Bose. I have no idea what they are though...but point being, if there's a $300 model of Bose, it's probably +/- the same level as Beats.

Dispozition
2010-05-14, 04:43 AM
I'm going to be different and offer what are generally regarded as the best sub $100 pair of headphones currently selling. The Koss KSC-75's (http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=173). If you talk to anyone who knows what they're talking about and say "what's the best pair sub $100 headphones?", that's your answer. There's also a pair that's the 'around teh back of the head band' sort, but generally regarded as not as comfortable as that pair. I also don't know the model number off the top of my head and I don't think that store sells them...Not that you'd be buying them from there since it's an Aussie store.
I will admit sony makes good headphones in that range though. I have a pair that cost about the same as those KSCs, and they give my Shures a run for their money, but I'd take the Shures every time since they're closed not open and slightly more comfortable.

On the noise canceling...Honestly, unless you're actually going to be in very noisy environment, closed headphones are good enough. I have a pair of Shure SRH 440s, use them on public transport and they cut the noise a lot, but keep some of it there for awareness, which is what you want most of the time.

On bass. More =/= better. You want an even mix of bass, mid, and highs. Too much bass and it gets muddy or overpowering which ruins the music. There again, that depends on what you listen to as well.

I say go for the KSC-75's for under $100, but if you're going to spend more, look into lots of reviews, try out as many as you can, and form your own opinion.

Emlyn
2010-05-14, 12:36 PM
If you want an excellent pair of earbuds for cheap, then I'd recomend these, the J3 (www.amazon.com/Atomic-Earphones-Travel-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B002RWJD7A/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1273858428&sr=8-1) may catch your eye. $30, and I can vouch for the quality. Also its older brother, the J2's are $15 so either is a great deal.

Erloas
2010-05-14, 01:00 PM
I'm sure the Aussies don't want to here it, but those Koss headphones are $15 here in the USA. I have used another set of Koss headphones for quite a while and I really like them. The ones I have the material is all worn out on them but the sound quality is still good.

And since this will probably draw more audiophiles I'll post a related but different question here. I'm looking at replacing my Creative 7.1 system for my computer and I'm trying to decide what to get. The system I have now the speakers are still good, but the amp is going out and I get a lot of static on it (I keep meaning to open it and see if I can fix anything, I fixed a problem a few years ago because the volume pot was coming loose). But it seems that pretty much no one makes 7.1 systems any more. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything real expensive, in the $100-200 range. I think I only paid about $120-150 for the system I have now probably 6ish years ago.

Sholos
2010-05-14, 01:07 PM
I've been using these (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=11035219) for about a year now and have enjoyed them.

Lord of Syntax
2010-05-14, 01:34 PM
The Logitech Z-x500 series is made of so much win, I have the Z-2500, it is the best speaker system I have bought for under US$600.

Dispozition
2010-05-14, 06:40 PM
I'm sure the Aussies don't want to here it, but those Koss headphones are $15 here in the USA. I have used another set of Koss headphones for quite a while and I really like them. The ones I have the material is all worn out on them but the sound quality is still good.

Yeah, I saw that when I was doing research on what to buy. I was tempted, but shipping only made it about $20 cheaper, but it would take somewhere near a month to get to me.

And since this will probably draw more audiophiles I'll post a related but different question here. I'm looking at replacing my Creative 7.1 system for my computer and I'm trying to decide what to get. The system I have now the speakers are still good, but the amp is going out and I get a lot of static on it (I keep meaning to open it and see if I can fix anything, I fixed a problem a few years ago because the volume pot was coming loose). But it seems that pretty much no one makes 7.1 systems any more. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything real expensive, in the $100-200 range. I think I only paid about $120-150 for the system I have now probably 6ish years ago.

I agree with Lord of Syntax. I have a set of X-530, great speakers. If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Z-550Ds have absolutely astounding quality. One of my friends has them and we've had many a music blasting night with them.

Erloas
2010-05-14, 06:48 PM
I agree with Lord of Syntax. I have a set of X-530, great speakers. If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Z-550Ds have absolutely astounding quality. One of my friends has them and we've had many a music blasting night with them.

I was hoping to stay with a 7.1 system, but it seems that absolutely no one is making them any more. Its just too bad the amp is going out in mine, the speakers themselves are still in great shape.

Dispozition
2010-05-14, 07:11 PM
I was hoping to stay with a 7.1 system, but it seems that absolutely no one is making them any more. Its just too bad the amp is going out in mine, the speakers themselves are still in great shape.

7.1s are sort of useless anyway. Even Blu-Ray don't support it, instead using high quality 5.1 channels. I honestly don't see the need for the two side speakers.

But yeah, finding a 7.1 speaker set is impossible outside of home entertainment systems that cost quite a bit of cash, so certainly out of your range.

Erloas
2010-05-14, 07:26 PM
7.1 seems to work fine for games because sound isn't defined to a set channel like it is on a movie. So you get a more obvious rotating of the sound around you when you turn and such.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-14, 07:35 PM
Anyone know any good noise-cancelling ones? I have two pairs of headphones, one a pair of earbuds where the right earbud has just stopped working, and a pair of noise-cancelling ones that, while still functional electronically are falling apart physically (the piece that connects the left phone to the extendable top is breaking, which is causing the end of the extension to dig into my head, which is painful and irritating).

Dispozition
2010-05-14, 07:41 PM
Anyone know any good noise-cancelling ones? I have two pairs of headphones, one a pair of earbuds where the right earbud has just stopped working, and a pair of noise-cancelling ones that, while still functional electronically are falling apart physically (the piece that connects the left phone to the extendable top is breaking, which is causing the end of the extension to dig into my head, which is painful and irritating).

See: This thread.

Why do you want noise-canceling in particular? They give a worse sound than open headphones at a higher cost. Unless you're using them in a particularly loud environment, closed headphones normally offer enough isolation at a lower cost but with a higher sound quality. Then open have the best quality but offer no isolation.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-14, 07:48 PM
Well, mainly because that's the kind my folks keep getting for my brother and me. I think its because of our autism and our dislike of background noise when we're trying to listen to something. Come to think of it though, the noise cancelling doesn't really help if my other brother starts practicing the piano or bagpipes when I'm on the computer, and that's really my biggest noise issue when I'm on the computer.

Dispozition
2010-05-14, 07:50 PM
Well, mainly because that's the kind my folks keep getting for my brother and me. I think its because of our autism and our dislike of background noise when we're trying to listen to something. Come to think of it though, the noise cancelling doesn't really help if my other brother starts practicing the piano or bagpipes when I'm on the computer, and that's really my biggest noise issue when I'm on the computer.

Well, technically noise canceling headphones cancels most things. Proper ones can almost fully cancel airliner engines, same with good earbuds. Closed headphones can cancel a fair bit but not everything.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-14, 08:07 PM
Then they must not be very good headphones, since the sound of my brother playing the piano loudly can still overpower whatever I'm listening to. :smallannoyed:

Dispozition
2010-05-15, 12:18 AM
Then they must not be very good headphones, since the sound of my brother playing the piano loudly can still overpower whatever I'm listening to. :smallannoyed:

By good, I meant $500+ for the headphones, about $200+ for earbuds. You have to pay for isolation.

Superglucose
2010-05-15, 12:29 AM
Bose. That is all.

(No, seriously, if you want noise cancelling get Bose)

Ashery
2010-05-15, 04:14 PM
I'm going to be different and offer what are generally regarded as the best sub $100 pair of headphones currently selling. The Koss KSC-75's (http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=173). If you talk to anyone who knows what they're talking about and say "what's the best pair sub $100 headphones?", that's your answer. There's also a pair that's the 'around teh back of the head band' sort, but generally regarded as not as comfortable as that pair. I also don't know the model number off the top of my head and I don't think that store sells them...Not that you'd be buying them from there since it's an Aussie store.
I will admit sony makes good headphones in that range though. I have a pair that cost about the same as those KSCs, and they give my Shures a run for their money, but I'd take the Shures every time since they're closed not open and slightly more comfortable.

On the noise canceling...Honestly, unless you're actually going to be in very noisy environment, closed headphones are good enough. I have a pair of Shure SRH 440s, use them on public transport and they cut the noise a lot, but keep some of it there for awareness, which is what you want most of the time.

On bass. More =/= better. You want an even mix of bass, mid, and highs. Too much bass and it gets muddy or overpowering which ruins the music. There again, that depends on what you listen to as well.

I say go for the KSC-75's for under $100, but if you're going to spend more, look into lots of reviews, try out as many as you can, and form your own opinion.

This.

It's been years since I really looked into any type of audio equipment, but I definitely remember the KSC-75's being recommended as one of the best <100$ headphones.

Bose, in general, tends to be overpriced from the sound quality perspective.

wojonatior
2010-05-22, 12:27 PM
So I spent $15 on the Koss KR-75's, and they FINALLY got here. And I have only had the m for an hour or so, but I love them immensely. Thank you all incredibly for the amazing recommendations.