PDA

View Full Version : How many Star wars references in the current arc?

JonestheSpy
2010-05-13, 05:51 PM
Let's see, the ones that come immediately to mind:

"I am your y-chromosome bearing parent", the big one of course.

The twins bit (too bad she's not called Princess Ekul, oh well).

Empress Jabba.

Haley's point that they really aren't the droids PC's they're looking for.

Tarquin/Tarkin

I actually don't buy into the Ganjii/Boba Fett thing; bounty hunters do not automatically = Boba, and really the two are nothing alike.

Am I missing any?

Silencer
2010-05-13, 06:00 PM
Desert slavers!

Oh wait, that's a Fallout reference.

Or Araby, possibly.

Dark Matter
2010-05-13, 06:02 PM
The Lizard in Black (who is 'pasty' looking, even for his race) could be the Emperor behind the scenes and he certainly has magical powers.

Kish
2010-05-13, 06:06 PM
I actually don't buy into the Ganjii/Boba Fett thing; bounty hunters do not automatically = Boba, and really the two are nothing alike.
Please tell me you mean Gannji has a personality and Boba's just a goon in a fancy helmet.

No? The EU can bite me. And that goes double for the prequel movies.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-13, 06:17 PM
Lizard cleric wearing a black cloak which is half the Sith lords in Star Wars.

Bongos
2010-05-13, 06:20 PM
This many...

Empire of Blood = The Empire
Boba Fett / Bounty Hunters = Gannji and Enor
Darth Vader / Grand Moff Tarkin = General Tarquin
Empress = Jabba the Hut
Minister Malack = Emperor / Senator Palpatine?
Princess Leia = Haley
Luke Skywalker = Elan the bard
Empire of Blood = Tatooine
Chancellor kilkil = Watto?
Han Solo in Carbonite = Varsuvius
Stormtroopers = Guards
Palace of Blood = Death Star

JonestheSpy
2010-05-13, 06:50 PM
Please tell me you mean Gannji has a personality and Boba's just a goon in a fancy helmet.

That is pretty much went I meant. It's amazing the cult following a guy with four lines and a fancy costume can garner, though I suppose the fact that he showed some spine to Vader accounts for some of it, and the general air of mystery that the 3rd movie completely failed to build on.

No? The EU can bite me.

I'm dying to know how the European Union fits into all this, but I sadly suspect you were referring to something else...

sihnfahl
2010-05-13, 06:56 PM
Minister Malack = Emperor / Senator Palpatine?
Ever play Knights of the Old Republic (1)?

I'm dying to know how the European Union fits into all this, but I sadly suspect you were referring to something else...
Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Darakonis
2010-05-13, 07:00 PM

Just a guess, but I suspect Expanded Universe, ie all the novels, games, etc. that exist outside of the movies.

I don't know why, but as a child, I had fond memories of Boba--I thought he was one of the most awesome characters. And this was before internet, EU, or anything else could have influenced me to believe so. When I watched the movies again when I was older, it was a disillusioning experience--Boba Fett is a crappy bounty hunter who fires off a couple shots before falling into a big hole in the ground.

...And yet I still think he's awesome :smallfrown: Must be the armor.

On topic... Can you clarify how Chancellor kilkil = Watto?

Peace,
-Darakonis

Orzel
2010-05-13, 07:05 PM
Blade Barrier looks a little too much like super fast swords if you know what I mean

Szilard
2010-05-13, 07:42 PM
Malack could be Bib Fortuna. Or perhaps Darth Malak. I think that's a darth anyway.

derfenrirwolv
2010-05-13, 07:55 PM
Bib Fortuna

Huh. Thats a starwars name. Met someone in wow with that name. I always wondered why anyone would eat so much tuna they'd need a bib.

jere7my
2010-05-13, 08:08 PM
Tarquin/Tarkin

I really don't think Tarquin is a Star Wars reference. It's not pronounced the same, and Tarquin is a real-world name, with plenty of famous examples to draw from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarquin

At a guess, I'd say it refers to the last king of Rome. Unless it's Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-13, 08:18 PM
Palace of Blood = Death Star

It can destroy a planet?

Red XIV
2010-05-13, 09:11 PM
On topic... Can you clarify how Chancellor kilkil = Watto?
Being a small semi-humanoid reptile that flies with disproportionately tiny wings?

Szilard
2010-05-13, 09:21 PM
I really don't think Tarquin is a Star Wars reference. It's not pronounced the same

It sounds the same to me. Though I guess different people pronounce it differently.

Falconer
2010-05-13, 09:29 PM
It sounds the same to me. Though I guess different people pronounce it differently.

As a latin geek, I can tell you that it's the name of a line of ancient Roman kings. The Giant apparently knows the classics.:smallsmile:

EDIT: curses, ninja'd by quite a bit.

Bongos
2010-05-13, 09:40 PM
It can destroy a planet?

Yes, yes it can.

jere7my
2010-05-13, 11:14 PM

In the real world, people named Tarquin are pronounced "TAR-kwin". Grand Moff Tarkin is "TAR-kin". I've never heard of a Tarquin pronounced like Tarkin.

Szilard
2010-05-13, 11:29 PM
Like I said, different people pronounce things differently. Every five feet in England there's a different accent, and in the US, there's like five different accents per state, so there's a lot of different ways to say a lot of different things. I pronounce quin as kwin, but when I saw Tarquin, I either immediately jumped to Star Wars, or didn't accentuate the u enough, so the q sounds more like a k.

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-13, 11:32 PM
The only one that seems intentional to me is the Vader line from the latest strip. Everything else is pretty incidental.

I don't know why, but as a child, I had fond memories of Boba--I thought he was one of the most awesome characters. And this was before internet, EU, or anything else could have influenced me to believe so.
Boba Fett's always been a fan-favourite. Lucasfilm made a big deal from the get-go of merchandising him way out of proportion to his role in the story (the scrapped "rocket-firing backpack" action figure (http://theswca.com/textf/toydeath.html) that was heavily promoted before being deemed a safety risk is a prime example). In fact, I expect he'd have had a much lesser role in the EU - and probably been absent from the prequels altogether - if it wasn't for the fact that Boba was already hugely popular before they came about.

jere7my
2010-05-13, 11:38 PM
Like I said, different people pronounce things differently. Every five feet in England there's a different accent, and in the US, there's like five different accents per state, so there's a lot of different ways to say a lot of different things. I pronounce quin as kwin, but when I saw Tarquin, I either immediately jumped to Star Wars, or didn't accentuate the u enough, so the q sounds more like a k.

That's as may be — the people who are actually named Tarquin (and there are quite a few alive today) are the ones who get to decide how their name is pronounced. Personal names are not subject to linguistic variation — there is an authoritative source for proper pronunciation. Every time I've heard it pronounced, by someone with that name or a reporter or other authority talking about them, it's been "TAR-kwin."

You're welcome to pronounce it "TAR-kin." You're also welcome to pronounce "Yacht" as "Yatch-it," as long as you don't mind being wrong. But, unless Rich also mispronounces the name, it's unlikely to be a Star Wars reference.

If you'd like a citation, here (http://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/boy/tarquin): "Pronunciation: TAHR-kwin"

Szilard
2010-05-13, 11:42 PM
Apparently I pronounce my own name wrong as well, so yeah, it's probably just me. :P

jere7my
2010-05-13, 11:43 PM
Apparently I pronounce my own name wrong as well, so yeah, it's probably just me. :P

Well, no — I'd say you pronounce your own name correctly, by definition.

Volthawk
2010-05-14, 01:10 AM
It can destroy a planet?

Is the Empress hungry enough?

Dark Matter
2010-05-14, 08:41 AM
It can destroy a planet?I was thinking about it... and... maybe. Keep in mind what was in the thrown room of the last palace we saw.

doodthedud
2010-05-14, 09:24 AM
It can destroy a planet?

I think the likelihood of planetary destruction is very large should the throne manage to break.

dehro
2010-05-14, 09:30 AM
it seems to me that there are a few funny references, but most of the things listed either are cross references (of which the validity is in several ways negated by the "cross" bit of the reference) or at best..wishfull thinking.
equating the palace guards with the stormtroopers for instance... any halfassed group of military nature could be associated with them as well, if an uniform and no individual names is all you need.
it doesn't seem like the Giant to suddenly embark in a full scale fanzine/spoof crossover... he might have another 2-3 quips about characters expecting elements of the future narrative to follow the pattern of "that other great saga"...for comedic effect, but I don't think we'll see much more than that. the "I'm your father" line is strong enough to stand alone.
as for the tarquin, why tarquin... then...why roy? why haley? why belkar?... mind you, I don't know if in any of the books there is a reason explicitly given, for their names...(I'd be surprised).. and I know that the giant puts a lot of layers and thoughts into his work, but what if he has chosen the name tarquin because he thought it was a cool name, has read it somewhere, it's the name of his cat/hairdresser/friend/uncle??
seriously... there is just no way, from a single pannel or two for us to speculate about the motives behind naming this caracter tarquin...hell...there is indeed no reason for us to think there is anything, any "reference" or reason behind this name being chosen at all.

doodthedud
2010-05-14, 09:34 AM
it seems to me that there are a few funny references, but most of the things listed either are cross references (of which the validity is in several ways negated by the "cross" bit of the reference) or at best..wishfull thinking.

You just summed up at least 99.8% of forum speculation. Congratulations. You win. :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2010-05-14, 09:36 AM
You just summed up at least 99.8% of forum speculation. Congratulations. You win. :smallbiggrin:

yay for me!
can I get an icelolly?

doodthedud
2010-05-14, 09:40 AM
yay for me!
can I get an icelolly?

Yes.

*gives icelolly*

:D!

paddyfool
2010-05-14, 09:50 AM
As I pointed out in the main thread, Tarquin's a 3-in-1 deal:

- Lines from Darth Vader
- Name from the Grand Moff (slightly modified)
- Helmet from Boba Fett (accessorised with spikes).

slayerx
2010-05-14, 10:00 AM
That is pretty much went I meant. It's amazing the cult following a guy with four lines and a fancy costume can garner, though I suppose the fact that he showed some spine to Vader accounts for some of it, and the general air of mystery that the 3rd movie completely failed to build on.
Not as amazing as the cult following you get when all you are is a fat pilot that sucks and dies

Ya don't know how those cult followings start... People can quote EU all they want and my response will always be... gee would have been nice if that stuff could made it into the movies

Darakonis
2010-05-14, 11:17 AM
what if he has chosen the name tarquin because he thought it was a cool name, has read it somewhere, it's the name of his cat/hairdresser/friend/uncle??

I once wrote a novella that included a character named General Veers.

I face-palmed when I realized the character already existed (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maximilian_Veers).

Accidental plagiarism FTL.

Peace,
-Darakonis

Kranden
2010-05-14, 11:42 AM

Actually I kind of got a Cowboy Bebop feel from the bounty hunters with food and cynicism. Not to mention the same blue colored clothes.

AyuVince
2010-05-14, 02:26 PM
Unless it's Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel.

Silly Party, naught!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FFTx6AKmU&feature=related

Morgan Wick
2010-05-14, 05:27 PM
Princess Leia = Haley

Hopefully Haley and Elan don't turn out to be brother and sister...

Can I add Roy = Obi-Wan (think the Wanted poster Haley left)?

krossbow
2010-05-14, 08:57 PM
Not as amazing as the cult following you get when all you are is a fat pilot that sucks and dies

It wasn't actually the torpedos that destroyed the death star, it was jek porkins enormous mass colliding with it.

feltex
2010-05-14, 10:23 PM
Is it stretch to say that Ganji kinda resembles Jar Jar Binks.

I'll probably get banned just for using the J - word in any context.

JoseB
2010-05-17, 01:07 PM
Is it stretch to say that Ganji kinda resembles Jar Jar Binks.

I'll probably get banned just for using the J - word in any context.

Resembles *who*...?

Never heard that name. That name does not exist. That name has never existed. No creature in the multiverse responds to that name. And Oceania has always been at war with Estasia.

Please report to room 101.

Kish
2010-05-17, 01:12 PM
Resembles *who*...?
You know, Sally's first character. The genius.

Reverent-One
2010-05-17, 01:14 PM

Wait, that guy has a cult following? Really?

People can quote EU all they want and my response will always be... gee would have been nice if that stuff could made it into the movies

And my response to that will always be, if movies are the only format for fiction you pay attention to, then you are missing out on a LOT.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-17, 01:40 PM
Not to mention that now we have a thermal detonator soup can.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-17, 01:42 PM
Not to mention that now we have a thermal detonator soup can.

That should be a card in (Star) Munchkin.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-17, 01:45 PM
Oh man, it really should. Take note, Munchkin creators.

J.Gellert
2010-05-17, 01:51 PM
I really don't think Tarquin is a Star Wars reference. It's not pronounced the same, and Tarquin is a real-world name, with plenty of famous examples to draw from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarquin

At a guess, I'd say it refers to the last king of Rome. Unless it's Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel.

I recall that a certain "black knight" that Lancelot faced in one of his stories was called Tarkin/Tarquin (in Greek they'd be written the same, I guess?). I just assumed the name was taken from that, at first. Haven't seen much of Star Wars outside the films.

Zevox
2010-05-17, 01:59 PM
Haven't seen much of Star Wars outside the films.
Then you've seen Grand Moff Tarkin. He was the guy in charge of the Death Star in the first movie.

Zevox

mucat
2010-05-17, 02:03 PM
Can we consider the fact that the strips are actually good to be a reference to the original trilogy?

Cleverdan22
2010-05-17, 02:04 PM
I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned that Malack is most evidently Bib Fortuna. The complexion, the clothes, the whispering force behind The Empress, it all fits very well.

Irenaeus
2010-05-18, 05:21 PM
Instead of trying to find who represents who in general, I think it is much more fun to consider just the single panel with the thermal detonator line and find out who is supposed to take on a role of which SW character in that panel. I'll consider Tarquin's and Elan's roles carried over from the last reference, and everyone else as characters in the Jabba throne room scene.

Empress - Tarquin - Elan - Ganji - Varsuuvius - Dragon-Ogre-guy - Malack
Jabba ------Vader ---Luke--Leia----Han Solo ----Gaemorrean------Bib Fortuna

Varsuuvius was even recently presented as a frozen bounty to the Empress.

Puns de León
2010-05-20, 06:57 PM

For the record, "qu-" is pronounced as "k" in close descendants of Latin such as French and Spanish, since "k" is very seldom used. Lucas probably anglicized the name to make it a little harder and fitting of an evil commander - the actor who played Tarkin already wore slippers on the set.

There have been a couple of other examples that could have inspired The Giant, but none that has had as much influence on pop culture as Star Wars. I also don't think Rich is blind to all the references he's made to this point, and of other potential references.

FeanorFireHeart
2010-06-11, 02:28 AM
As I pointed out in the main thread, Tarquin's a 3-in-1 deal:

- Lines from Darth Vader
- Name from the Grand Moff (slightly modified)
- Helmet from Boba Fett (accessorised with spikes).
the first one I agree the next two not so much. The name for reasons already stated. The helmet looks like a standard medieval style helmet we have seen in this comic several times (like the muscle from the rogue's guild that would yell his moved, or even Tarquin's original helmet replacing the horns with spikes)

Ancalagon
2010-06-11, 02:53 AM
Darth Vader / Grand Moff Tarkin = General Tarquin

Wuh? Last time I looked, those character were quite different.

Chancellor kilkil = Watto?

Where in Star Wars does such a character appear? Please tell me don't talk about those deluded fan fic movies some guy made a bunch of years ago. ;)

Dr.Epic
2010-06-11, 05:56 PM
Given the latest strip is in a tavern I have a feeling we're about to experience the Mos Eisley Cantina scene from A New Hope.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-11, 10:56 PM
No offence, but there were plenty of people who "had a feeling" that the whole comic was going to morph gradually into a retelling of Dune when it turned out that Belkar had blue eyes for more than one strip. I think we're probably done with the Star Wars references for the time being.

PallElendro
2010-06-11, 11:14 PM
There's:

"Strike me down, and I will become more powerful than you can imagine!"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0524.html

Prowl
2010-06-16, 03:18 PM
How many Star Wars references?

Too.

Thor Person Guy
2010-06-17, 03:06 PM
Didn't tomato soup thermal detonators come from Star Wars?

Detrinex
2010-06-17, 03:20 PM
Boushh = Gannji (with the "I'm holding a thermal detonator, 50k credits/gp, etc, plus the fact that Boushh was a bounty hunter too")

Morph Bark
2010-06-20, 05:40 AM
For the record, "qu-" is pronounced as "k" in close descendants of Latin such as French and Spanish, since "k" is very seldom used. Lucas probably anglicized the name to make it a little harder and fitting of an evil commander - the actor who played Tarkin already wore slippers on the set.

Of course, it could just be a case of Xtreme Kool Letterz (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XtremeKoolLetterz).

Also for the record, "c" in Latin was pronounced "k". So yes, pronouncing Caesar as "seesar" is actually wrong. OH SNAP.

Procyonpi
2010-06-20, 06:27 AM
Is the Empress hungry enough?

This = Win

Morph Bark
2010-06-20, 06:34 AM
How many Star Wars references?

Too.

No more than too.

Procyonpi
2010-06-20, 06:42 AM
I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned that Malack is most evidently Bib Fortuna. The complexion, the clothes, the whispering force behind The Empress, it all fits very well.

Malack's character bears no resemblence to Bib Fortuna. Bib Fortuna had, like, no influence over Jabba, and was just his current chief lackey who would propbably wind up dead within a couple of years when Jabba decided he didn't trust him anymore. Malack Basically runs the empire.

FeanorFireHeart
2010-06-20, 11:21 PM
the empress is more of a figure head...and form of execution. just dont get all up in her business.