PDA

View Full Version : PF ranger/archer/mounted help

Guilliaume
2010-05-13, 06:22 PM
Hello all. I will be brief. The scrappy in my group is playing an archer build ranger and we just hit 4th level so he get his animal companion. He wants a baby Roc (which he wants to just appear and everyone else says No that's about as exotic as you can reasonably get, go find the damn thing; but that's besides the point) that will grow as we level and eventually use it as his mount. Looking through the mounted archery feats and the things that one can do are RIDICULOUS. Full Move and Full Attack, at only a -4 penalty or -2 with a feat. I'm I wrong at thinking this is overpowered? Let alone on a flying mount? I mean, yea we'll be inside most of the time, but where is the downside to this?

Greenish
2010-05-13, 06:28 PM
Looking through the mounted archery feats and the things that one can do are RIDICULOUS. Full Move and Full Attack, at only a -4 penalty or -2 with a feat. I'm I wrong at thinking this is overpowered? Let alone on a flying mount? I mean, yea we'll be inside most of the time, but where is the downside to this?Some things to consider:

Archery isn't that strong, and it's strongest point is that you can often reach the enemy for full attack without moving.
Can't be done indoors or any restricted spaces.
If you can fly and enemy can't, you've already won (in most cases).
Inability to move and full attack is one (of the many) reasons why casters are superior to non-casters.
If he is riding the pet (at range), the pet can't attack.
But yeah, mounted archery is pretty effective if you have space for it.

Mythestopheles
2010-05-13, 06:38 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) may help. Unfortunately it's 3.5, not pathfinder, but it should help at least somewhat.