PDA

View Full Version : Which words do you like?

CWater
2010-05-13, 06:59 PM
Hi! An idea/(question) popped into my mind when I was watching multilanguage Disney songs on youtube. Hmm...not sure what that's got to do with anything... anyway, my question here is:

What words do you like/find beautiful/think is fun to say/etc.?

They can be of any known language, but if they're not English, please indentify the language and tell what the word means. :smalltongue:

A few that I find likeable:

(English):
-Paradox
-Aqua

(Finnish):
-Aamu =Morning
-Aava =Wide, open
-Tunturi =*one type of mountain, found in Lappland*
-Uni =Dream
-Routa =*frost in the ground*

(English, again):
-Unicorn
-Unique
-Dream

(Swedish):
-Krigare =Warrior
-Kväll =Evening

(Italian):
-Dolore =Pain
-Volare =Fly

(Japanese):
-Neko =Cat
-Ame =Rain

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-13, 07:03 PM
Well, first:

Balsamic Vinegar. :smalltongue:

But let's see here:

English:
Plunk
Sploosh
Aluminum
Dadaism

Yarram
2010-05-13, 07:42 PM
I like the words crisp and guttural, because they sound like their meanings. Smooth and other similar words are nice too.

wojonatior
2010-05-13, 08:04 PM
All:

Anything where I can roll an R. :smallbiggrin:

Astrella
2010-05-13, 08:08 PM
I like crescent.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-13, 08:21 PM
Explosion!!!

druid91
2010-05-13, 08:23 PM
Neko, Cat, either one is good. Mechanical, Sniper, Android, Abomination. Also Grotesque, Horrific, Did I mention FUN? Magma and dwarf-y.

onthetown
2010-05-13, 08:23 PM
"Pandemonium" is my absolute favourite word ever. Except maybe "poranges".

Erloas
2010-05-13, 08:39 PM
I just thought that I would point out that aqua is a spanish word that we have just stole from them. And I mean more recently then all the other words we've stolen from every other language. At least the usage for water, the color I think we've had for longer.

Tirian
2010-05-13, 08:53 PM
Pandemonium and Paradox are both great words. I will add:

Quintessence
Consequential
Idiosyncrasy
Disingenuous
Penultimate
Impervious

But I'm sure we can all agree that the greatest word of all time is...
Phenomenon! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA90IlymdZ4&feature=related)

Cobalt
2010-05-13, 09:00 PM
'Tanzen wir,' German for 'Let's dance.'

It has sparked an inside joke so full of hilarity that it brings me to tears just thinking about it.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-05-13, 09:03 PM
I've always liked exsanguination and anachronism.
And of course Malamanteau (Yay, XKCD!)
And I agree with Yarram in that onomatopoeic words rock.
And I don't feel very much for the word but I love using *****rdly around people who don't know what it means and automaticly assume the worst just to see their reactions. Does that make me a bad person?

Edit: Apparantly, the first half of this word (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/*****rdly) is censored. Note: the word is unrelated to the slur it resembles, any similarities are coincidental.
Edit 2: Okay, that URL gets interrupted by the forum censors, I'll just say it's a synonym for stingy that sounds like a racial slur derived from the latin word for the colour black.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-13, 09:10 PM
I believe he meant bastardly.

Edit: Or, dastardly, which is even better.

Edit Edit: But it doesn't censor dastardly.

mucat
2010-05-13, 09:13 PM
Edit: Apparantly, the first half of this word (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/*****rdly) is censored. Note: the word is unrelated to the slur it resembles, any similarities are coincidental.
True enough. But when you use it intentionally to bait people as you just described, so you can bask in a sense of smug superiority while making them think you're throwing racial slurs around, you're acting like a douche.

EDIT: And on a more on-topic note, I love the word "ansatz", and propose them on a regular basis just so I can use the word.

Tirian
2010-05-13, 09:14 PM
No, it's "the n-word" that is being censored. And, um, I'll take a pass on whether that makes you a bad person. It stirs up bad feelings whether the two words are linguistically related or not, and there are plenty of other synonyms for "stingy".

Cleverdan22
2010-05-13, 09:15 PM
Qualm and gambit are two of my favorite short words that are fun.

Cobalt
2010-05-13, 09:19 PM
Ooh, ooh! Just thought of another one: Aaricia. It just rolls off the tounge, doesn't it?

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-05-13, 09:21 PM
Well I wouldn't use it around people likely to be offended, just to make a point to the people I'm talking to to not jump onto the first thing they hear before thinking aout it.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-13, 09:24 PM
I've always liked exsanguination and anachronism.
And of course Malamanteau (Yay, XKCD!)
And I agree with Yarram in that onomatopoeic words rock.
And I don't feel very much for the word but I love using *****rdly around people who don't know what it means and automaticly assume the worst just to see their reactions. Does that make me a bad person?

Edit 2: Okay, that URL gets interrupted by the forum censors, I'll just say it's a synonym for stingy that sounds like a racial slur derived from the latin word for the colour black.

Malamanteau, malamanteau. I like it. Screw if it isn't notable, There Is No Notability! :smallbiggrin:

ForzaFiori
2010-05-13, 09:34 PM
spelunking. discombobulate. kumquat.

@Erloas: I believe the word your thinking of is Agua, not Aqua. Aqua is an english color. Agua is the spanish for water.

Szilard
2010-05-13, 09:46 PM
Every few hours I think of a word that sounds funny. Currently the word is "Mollified."

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-13, 09:47 PM
My friends love walking in the room and announcing that they are very gruntled. Everyone goes "aaaw, what's wrong?" and then we laugh at them.

thorgrim29
2010-05-13, 09:56 PM
I like flabbergasting and all the variations.

Fii
2010-05-13, 10:16 PM
Flumen. It's Latin, and means 'river.'

Fii
2010-05-13, 10:22 PM
I just thought that I would point out that aqua is a spanish word that we have just stole from them. And I mean more recently then all the other words we've stolen from every other language. At least the usage for water, the color I think we've had for longer.

Actually the origin of aqua comes from Latin. Spanish is Latin's daughter, in essence. As are French, Romanian, Italian, and Portuguese. ^.^

Weezer
2010-05-13, 10:24 PM
I have a tendency to get words stuck in my head a lot, they randomly pop in and won't leave. Currently I've had moiety stuck in my head for a few days, it's kind of getting irritating because I keep wanting to use it even though it never actually fits in the conversation I'm having.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-13, 10:29 PM
My favorite German word is verschnörkelt. It means "squiggly" or "baroque"!

And in english, malapropism.

Milskidasith
2010-05-13, 10:33 PM
Eeeenteresting is my favorite, just because I put on a really strange accident when I say it (well... it sound like how I spelled it.)

Also, lexicon. And quintessence. Not that I ever get to use them, since at school using either of those would get blank stares. Go high school!

absolmorph
2010-05-13, 10:38 PM
Tokidoki.
It's a Japanese word, and it means "sometimes".
I use it as "sorta". Because I can.
Example: "Is your essay going well?" "Tokidoki."

mucat
2010-05-13, 10:39 PM
I think I'm in love with your word, Mauve. May I steal it?

Partof1
2010-05-13, 10:44 PM
Forsooth is one I've not yet gotten to use really.
Indeed is a fun one.
I also use nifty from time to time.

Cealocanth
2010-05-13, 10:46 PM
I like words that roll off the tounge with few crisp sounds and that repeat sounds.

English:
Unnunium (No longer an element but still a word :smalltongue:)
Amoeba
Sassafras

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-13, 10:50 PM
I think I'm in love with your word, Mauve. May I steal it?

Deutch is full of fun words.

For example, Schreibmaschinenschreiben. You know what it means?

Typing.

the doomed one
2010-05-14, 12:20 AM
Shenanigans, indubitably, bumbershoot, ahoy-hoy, words that you don't hear very often.

Moonshadow
2010-05-14, 12:32 AM
Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak!

*flees*

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-14, 12:39 AM
Yakamoz, which means this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctiluca_scintillans).

It's officially the most beautiful word in all of natural languages of the world.

Seriously, there was a contest.

WalkingTarget
2010-05-14, 01:23 AM
Mamihlapinatapai

It is a word in the Yaghan language, of which there is but a single remaining native speaker.

It means "a look shared by two people with each wishing that the other will initiate something that both desire but which neither one wants to start."

It gives me no end of amusement/happiness that there's at least one language that has a word for that phenomenon and regret/sadness that it'll probably be a dead language soon (or already is dead if one requires that there be at least 2 speakers so that they may have a conversation).

Otherwise, I've been a fan of "susurrus" which I like to describe as "the sound you get by getting a large room full of people to whisper 'susurrus' at the same time."

Thajocoth
2010-05-14, 01:42 AM
I'dn't've

Definition: I would not have.

I like it because it's my own "Frankenstein's monster" of a word... The quadruple contraction.

A few triple contractions:

wouldn't've - Would not have
we'd've - We would have
she'dn't - She would not
they'd've - They would have
you'ren't - You are not

I'm hoping to get these into wide enough general use to get them into the dictionary eventually. They've got definitions, after all.

The formula is simple: Take two contractions with the same middle word, like He's = He is and Isn't = Is not. "Is" is the center word. Use it as a pivot to join the two contractions together. Letters dropped from the center word on either side are dropped, and the rest is pieced together in the way you'd expect. He'sn't.

_Zoot_
2010-05-14, 01:54 AM
My friends love walking in the room and announcing that they are very gruntled. Everyone goes "aaaw, what's wrong?" and then we laugh at them.

Yay, some one else that uses that word!

My favorite words are:

Technical
Hypothetically
Theoretically

And any variation on Imperial. Empire, Imperium (Latin for control) etc.

Dogmantra
2010-05-14, 02:04 AM
P'rhaps is the greatest contraction ever.
Perchance is equally good.
Kibitz is delicious also.
Defenestrate is just brilliant.

As for other languages, one really stands out:
Lebensmittelvergiftung, German for Food Poisoning. It's so fun to say.

Zaggab
2010-05-14, 02:10 AM
English:
Procrastinate
perturbed
indolent

Latin/medicalese:
Polydipsia induced polyuria - it's when you pee alot because you drink a lot.
Borborygmia - onomatopoeia for rumbling stomach
(os) zygomaticum - cheekbone
Symphysis
Xiphoideus - sword-like
Coracoideus - crow beak-like
Icterus

Swedish:
Lagom
afton - evening
snarstucken - quick-tempered
burdus - blunt

mucat
2010-05-14, 02:16 AM

For example, Schreibmaschinenschreiben. You know what it means?
Typing.

Lebensmittelvergiftung, German for Food Poisoning. It's so fun to say.

See, this is one of the things I love about the German language. Whenever someone tells me their favorite German word, a large part of my brain is convinced they're making it up, even when I know they're not.

For example, the German word for "cat" is "einfubrungalfriesischenspraakuntworterbuchgegenwar t". It can take two days to order lunch in German.
OK, sometimes they're making it up.

(Also, he is not suggesting ordering a cat for lunch.)

Gadora
2010-05-14, 02:23 AM
Spanghew: to cause a frog or toad to fly into the air
Defenestrate: to throw through a window
Qiviut: the soft, woolen undercoat of a musk-ox
Cornhobble: to hit with a fish, especially in the face
Banana(nana): an elongated usually tapering tropical fruit with soft pulpy flesh enclosed in a soft usually yellow rind
Pingüino: Spanish for penguin

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-14, 02:28 AM
I like contréfument (French, spelling may be wrong), which I'm assured means "conceptually".

In Japanese, I like haraheta and okinomiyaki (again, spelling may be off) - which mean "I'm so humgry!" and "honourable-fried-food-that-you-like" (a kind of omlette dish, exceedingly yummy).
Okinomiyaki got mixed up into "ominomiyaki" by our jet-lagged brains.

English is my native language. I like lots of words, but none is leaping out to make itself known right now.

thubby
2010-05-14, 02:29 AM
Soliloquy

no one ever knows what one is but its so fun to say ^,^

Dogmantra
2010-05-14, 02:35 AM
Spanghew: to cause a frog or toad to fly into the air
Defenestrate: to throw through a window
Qiviut: the soft, woolen undercoat of a musk-ox
Cornhobble: to hit with a fish, especially in the face
Banana(nana): an elongated usually tapering tropical fruit with soft pulpy flesh enclosed in a soft usually yellow rind
Pingüino: Spanish for penguin

Someone's been reading rinkworks :smallsmile:

Also thubby: there are people who don't know what a soliloquy is? Man, I thought you had to know for English classes.

UnChosenOne
2010-05-14, 02:42 AM
Finnish:
"Juoksentelisinkohan"
"Tilpehööri"
Most of finnish swear words.

English:
"Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" (real english word) Sadly, even though this has a real meaning I cannot take it seriously and thus I've started to like it quite lot.

thubby
2010-05-14, 03:11 AM

Also thubby: there are people who don't know what a soliloquy is? Man, I thought you had to know for English classes.

i also had to know the articles of the confederacy, how to convert to and from moles, and the life's history of edgar allen poe. and those are just a few of the things i know I've forgotten.

Dogmantra
2010-05-14, 03:26 AM
Good point. I guess I'm the kind of person who keeps words in the back of his mind forever.

Ranna
2010-05-14, 03:30 AM
all the words I like I cannot spell :smallfrown:

Galileo
2010-05-14, 05:14 AM
I like verily, forsooth, and egads. Especially when combined into one exclamation.

Factotum and scrofulous are excellent words too.

CWater
2010-05-14, 05:29 AM
spelunking. discombobulate. kumquat.

@Erloas: I believe the word your thinking of is Agua, not Aqua. Aqua is an english color. Agua is the spanish for water.

No, I do mean Aqua. But you have right, I probably should have put it under Spanish.:smallwink:

Oh, and I remembered a new fun word, it's Finnish. "Ritaritar", it means "female knight". And if you decline(:smallconfused:?) it you can get "ritarittaritta", which means "without female knights".
Not excatly something you'd use in casual sonversation, though...:smallbiggrin:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-14, 05:32 AM

You spelt *****rdly incorrectly. :smallamused:
Edit: I cannot believe that an incorrect spelling of a racial slur would get censored. This isn't happening. I should wake up soon.

My favourite German word is etepetete, a slightly old-fashioned word meaning snooty or persnickety, because it sounds like a northener saying "ate a potato"; hilarity ensues. :smallbiggrin:

Grimlock
2010-05-14, 07:40 AM
Buttock! Wastrell and Feckless three wonderful words

smellie_hippie
2010-05-14, 08:45 AM
I enjoy saying the word fluffy. The connotation is irrelevant, because the word is just fun to say.

Circuitous.

I also love the words coffee and beer. Mostly becasue I say them in the context of getting ready to consume them... which makes me very happy. :smallbiggrin:

mucat
2010-05-14, 08:46 AM
Oh, and I remembered a new fun word, it's Finnish. "Ritaritar", it means "female knight". And if you decline(:smallconfused:?) it you can get "ritarittaritta", which means "without female knights".
Not excatly something you'd use in casual sonversation, though...:smallbiggrin:
Alternatively, you could use the "ritarittaritta" one in almost every conversation; how often are there knights hanging around?

(Until all your friends go out and earn knighthoods, just to make you stop using the word!)

lord pringle
2010-05-14, 08:48 AM
in latin:
appropingquabamus
we were approaching:smallbiggrin:

onthetown
2010-05-14, 08:50 AM
Ohh, "tubular," is another fun one. Hasn't been used since the 80s but god, do I love using it to embarass my friends. :smallamused:

"Kyrielle," is my favourite word in French (meaning a sort of stream or river) just because it sounds so pretty. Also, "comme ci, comme ça," as in when you're asked how you're doing, it's a way of saying, "So-so." I believe the literal translation is, "Like this, like that." It's just bloody fun to say.

Gadora
2010-05-14, 12:39 PM

What's this that I've been reading?:smallconfused: I don't think I've ever heard of rinkworks.

I'm also rather fond of the contraction: e'er.

poisonoustea
2010-05-14, 01:08 PM
Tokidoki.
It's a Japanese word, and it means "sometimes".
I use it as "sorta". Because I can.
Example: "Is your essay going well?" "Tokidoki."
Maamaa would be the correct form for that :)

Zocelot
2010-05-14, 01:23 PM
I'm a fan of technobabble, with "quantifyable" and "secondary" being my favorites.

Nomrom
2010-05-14, 05:20 PM
I don't really have any favorite words in English, but I really like to say the word "existiesen" in spanish, which is the third person plural imperfect subjunctive form of the verb "to exist."

Arakune
2010-05-14, 05:23 PM
Zombie is a nice word. Also, explosives.

Nevitan
2010-05-14, 05:39 PM
The only one that really comes to my mind is Validity.

Eldan
2010-05-14, 05:43 PM
Nice english words:

Verily. Sanguine. Discombobulate (I can't remember what it means, but it sounds awesome). Sarcophagus. Schadenfreude (not funny in german, but hilarious when english speaking people say it.)

Swiss german dialect words:

Struub (weird), gängeretalpli (feet), trischaagge (annoy, bully), Auwää (This one's difficult. Can mean "I don't believe it"; "probably" as in "they probably aren't coming" (si chöme auwää nee), "You don't say", and probably half a dozen other meanings. It's probably a general answer to pretty much any statement.)
Most of them bernese, which I don't actually speak, but it's an awesome language.

Castaras
2010-05-14, 05:50 PM
Yoink, Defenestrate, Methinks.

Tirian
2010-05-14, 07:48 PM
Discombobulate (I can't remember what it means, but it sounds awesome).

It's somewhere along the line of confusing or disorienting someone. Unfortunately, I don't think you can recombobulate people, because that would also be awesome.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-05-14, 08:42 PM
I just remembered another one. Titular, but only when it's not used as a synonym of eponymous but rather by its older meaning of "holding a title in name only". Like the titular king or somesuch.

And I agree that p'rhaps is awesome.

KilltheToy
2010-05-14, 08:45 PM
Gegangen.

German for "to go". It's just so much fun to say.

Cobalt
2010-05-14, 09:21 PM
Soliloquy

no one ever knows what one is but its so fun to say ^,^

We literally just stopped talking about these(this?) in school. I really should know what this/these is/are right now.

EDIT:

Gegangen.

This, too, in my German class. Creates for me many hardships in sentence making.

Cealocanth
2010-05-14, 10:56 PM
A few triple contractions:

wouldn't've - Would not have
we'd've - We would have
she'dn't - She would not
they'd've - They would have
you'ren't - You are not

I'm hoping to get these into wide enough general use to get them into the dictionary eventually. They've got definitions, after all.

Believe it or not, I hear wouldn't've, we'd've and they'd've all the time. It's used like slang, but really should be in the dictionary. more often it's actuallt wouldn't'a shouldn't'a they'should'a we'should'a meaning: Wouldn't've, shouldn't have, they should have, and we should have. I guess this is one of the things that make a Coloradan accent if there even is one.

Thajocoth
2010-05-15, 01:03 AM
Believe it or not, I hear wouldn't've, we'd've and they'd've all the time. It's used like slang, but really should be in the dictionary. more often it's actuallt wouldn't'a shouldn't'a they'should'a we'should'a meaning: Wouldn't've, shouldn't have, they should have, and we should have. I guess this is one of the things that make a Coloradan accent if there even is one.

This is good. This trend now needs to integrate into the written to become acceptable for dictionaries.

Occasional Sage
2010-05-15, 01:22 AM
I'm currently fond of syzygy (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/syzygy).

The Extinguisher
2010-05-15, 02:33 AM
One of these days I'll find one of those most commonly used word things and be completely terrified by the results.

On a unrelated note, I absolutely love the word portmanteau. Just because it's an interesting word.

Eldan
2010-05-15, 06:36 AM
Gegangen.

Not just "to go". To go is "gehen". It's the Partizip Perfekt of "gehen", as in "Ich bin gegangen".

Dogmantra
2010-05-15, 06:43 AM
Now I think about it, I also rather like the word Kartoffeln, German for "potatoes".

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-15, 06:48 AM
Not just "to go". To go is "gehen". It's the Partizip Perfekt of "gehen", as in "Ich bin gegangen".

That's the Past Participle for English-speaking grammar nerds. :smallcool:

Symmys
2010-05-15, 10:32 AM
Kabloom.
Whenever I try to say "kaboom" or "kablooie" I can't make up my mind in time on which to use, and so it comes out as "kabloom". Kabloom is an awesome word which I frequently use when talking about Mythbusters.

Also "umami", a Japanese word meaning "savory" and used to indicate the taste group (sweet, salty, bitter, etc.) containing meat, cheese, and other such tastes. I think Japanese is a pretty cool-sounding language on the whole.

GolemsVoice
2010-05-15, 02:35 PM
Weltenbrand. It was used to refer to World War I and literaly means World on Fire, roughly.
Donauschifffahrtskapitänsmützenherstellungsgesells chaftsvorsitzender just for the hell of it. It means chairman of a company that produces hats for captains of ships that sail on the Danube.
Eldritch for an English example.
Abomination is another good one.
Jawohl! whenever we want to put on some 50s Nazis cliches.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-16, 12:41 PM
Oh man, agreed on kabloom. Great word.

The Demented One
2010-05-16, 05:30 PM
Thickness. Scrumptious. Candy-Colored. Titanomachy. Haggard. Lotus.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-16, 08:57 PM
I just love saying "mein Gott!" in german. it's fun.