PDA

View Full Version : Kapu Ku'ialua?

Froogleyboy
2010-05-13, 07:05 PM
Can anyone here help me learn Kapu Ku'ialua ? There are no schools around here and I'd love to learn it

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-13, 07:20 PM
Froogleyboy, I worry about you, you know that? :smalleek:

Froogleyboy
2010-05-13, 07:29 PM
I'm confused . . . why do you worry?

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-13, 07:30 PM
Well, whenever you make a thread of something, it's either bad, or odd.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-13, 07:31 PM
oh, okay :(

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-13, 07:48 PM
No, no, not to discourage you. If you want to learn, fine by me. I just found it odd.

Lycan 01
2010-05-13, 08:01 PM
Is it a martial art or something? Cuz that is what it sounds like, and I bid you luck in learning that online...

Icewalker
2010-05-13, 08:24 PM
Here: Kapu Kuialua (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Kapu+Kuialua).

Yeah, that's gonna be a hard one to learn. Not common, so it's probably not really going to be around in books or online, so if you can't get yourself a teacher I'm not sure you'll be able to pull it off.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-13, 08:25 PM
Is it a martial art or something? Cuz that is what it sounds like, and I bid you luck in learning that online...

You are correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapu_Kuialua).

I was going to use 'let me google that for you', but the number one result is actually this thread.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-13, 08:39 PM
You are correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapu_Kuialua).

I was going to use 'let me google that for you', but the number one result is actually this thread.

Hm. I'm not getting this thread until result #20.

Kiren
2010-05-13, 08:42 PM
Is this what you are searching for, after studying a bit, it may be known by differen't names, I am not familiar with the subject, but this is the closest I can find, only royalty were allowed to be taught the art, teaching outside the circle was punishable by death at some point. http://www.olohe.com/

Froogleyboy
2010-05-13, 09:34 PM
No, no, not to discourage you. If you want to learn, fine by me. I just found it odd.

Well all of my friends are like "Oh yeah, I do Muay Thai" or, "I'm a black belt in ninjitsu" that kind of stuff. So I want to learn a cool martial arts, and lua seemed the coolest

Icewalker
2010-05-14, 02:54 AM
It's definitely a winner for obscure ones. Depends on what you're going for. If you just want obscure, sure, this seems a fine choice, albeit a very difficult one to find a teacher for. If you want brutally effective, go for Krav Maga. If you want stylish, personally my favorite on that side of consideration is Capoeira. Middle ground you get all variety of awesome things like Baguazhang, although generally more on the use than the art side of things.

Dispozition
2010-05-14, 02:56 AM
Well all of my friends are like "Oh yeah, I do Muay Thai" or, "I'm a black belt in ninjitsu" that kind of stuff. So I want to learn a cool martial arts, and lua seemed the coolest

Then you're doing it wrong.

thubby
2010-05-14, 03:16 AM
does it have to be that martial art in particular? there are tons of grappling disciplines, one you could probably find schools for.

Coidzor
2010-05-14, 04:02 AM
does it have to be that martial art in particular? there are tons of grappling disciplines, one you could probably find schools for.

Say, Aikido.

Starshade
2010-05-14, 04:15 AM

Find a martial arts club you like, not the one with the coolest name. Find a good teacher, with a style of teaching you like, and your trip to the MA dojo will last longer than the 3 months most boys sometime train Muai Thai or something to impress friends. :smallwink:

ForzaFiori
2010-05-14, 06:20 AM

where on earth do you live that has a Ninjitsu and Muay Thai dojo?

Also, I gotta agree with Dispozition. If you wanna have something equal to Muay Thai and Ninjitsu, Kapu Ku'ialua is not gonna work. Try to find a Krav Maga or Aikido dojo instead. It would also probably be about... a million times easier to find a master of Aikido or Krav Maga than a Kapu Ku'ialua, especially since in your location, you don't say Hawai'i, which is where I'd assume most practitioners are.

Brother Oni
2010-05-14, 06:38 AM
Then you're doing it wrong.

I agree with this statement.

You shouldn't be choosing a martial art to practice just because it 'sounds cool'. You should be picking one that suits your body shape, your personal fighting preferences and demeanour, and one you'll actually enjoy committing to.

It's perfectly fine to turn up for a few sessions - you're assessing the style, to see whether you'll like it or if you're suited for it. It's another thing entirely to turn up for 3 months, get bored and never show up again - that's disrespectful to your teacher and the class/style in general.

Sure you've picked up one or two 'cool moves', but without the conditioning or the knowledge in its proper application, the first time you try and use it in a fight with a false sense of confidence, it's all going to go horribly wrong, possibly with extreme consequences.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest... /soapbox

Anuan
2010-05-14, 07:09 AM
Let me get this straight.
You say you want to learn a martial art. This, in and of itself, is a good thing.
But then you say you don't want to learn this particular martial art. Not a bad thing.
Then you say you picked this martial art 'because it seemed coolest.'

Not because you want to defend yourself effectively.
Not because you want to protect someone effectively.
Not because you want to improve yourself on a physical, emotional or spiritual level.

But because this particular art 'seemed coolest.'

This attitude is...I cannot even express with words. If the sun were a huge, huge creature, and we suddenly suffered an eclipse from it facepalming, that's how I feel right now.
We're talking stellar levels of Facepalm.

Why is this one coolest? Because it's obscure? Because it's old? Because of the history behind it? Muay Thai has a history of being used by elite soldiers to kill anybody who came near the elephant-cavalry. Elephant. Cavalry. Capoeira was created by slaves using african dance. Wing Chun's history is so shrouded in mystery the closest approximation we have to its actual beginnings are legends about a Shaolin Nun. Pankration is from ANCIENT GREECE.

There are literally hundreds of styles and subschools to pick from offering a wide range of skills and ideals, with varied histories and intents, ranging from pure self-defence, use in war, or a desire to become unified with the universe and its workings.

And you pick one because 'it seemed coolest.' To be fair, it's pretty amazing, looking at its history and the sociological and even religious (which we won't talk about) connections. But picking it for its 'coolness' trivialises not only the aforementioned connections, but the art's effectiveness at what it is; a tool for survival and personal growth. I'm tempted to say it trivialises all martial arts, but that may be personal bias.

Dispozition
2010-05-14, 07:13 AM
Let me get this straight.
You say you want to learn a martial art. This, in and of itself, is a good thing.
But then you say you don't want to learn this particular martial art. Not a bad thing.
Then you say you picked this martial art 'because it seemed coolest.'

Not because you want to defend yourself effectively.
Not because you want to protect someone effectively.
Not because you want to improve yourself on a physical, emotional or spiritual level.

But because this particular art 'seemed coolest.'.

Thisssssss. Exactly what I meant.

I'll be honest, I don't practice a martial art. I feel I don't have the mindset to fully commit myself to it. I admit it's an amazing thing, and indeed quite cool, but that alone is hardly a reason to do it.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-14, 07:30 AM
where on earth do you live that has a Ninjitsu and Muay Thai dojo?

Nowhere, since Ninjitsu does not exist, as jitsu is not a valid suffix. There is Ninjutsu, the authenticity of which is disputed, and even if it did historically exist, it is supposed to be far, far more extensive than a single fighting style. The unarmed combat style that is supposed to be taught by ninjutsu is called taijutsu, so you might claim you are learning that. [/rant]

I will go along with the rest of the crowd and say that choose a martial arts that fits you, rather than an obscure one with a weird name. Unarmed martial arts are wildly varied, even without going into ridiculously obscure ones.

Though in any case, do not try to use them in a fight unless you absolutely have no other choice (including just giving up your wallet / cell phone / whatever). Fights are dangerous, and even if you have years of experience in a dojo with full-contact sparring. And if the offender has a knife or a gun, run. There is no such thing as a "knife fight" outside of fiction and possibly tournaments.

Tyrandar
2010-05-14, 08:12 AM
I have to admit, if I were to get back into the martial arts, I'd rather it be one that made people go "WHOOOOOOOA, AWESOME!!!!" as opposed to *snicker* "That'll be great if you get mugged by a plastic sparring dummy" (Arigato, Cracked). I'd go with Krav Maga, personally, both for the sheer effectiveness and the cool factor.

TSGames
2010-05-14, 09:22 AM
Why is this one coolest? Because it's obscure? Because it's old? Because of the history behind it? Muay Thai has a history of being used by elite soldiers to kill anybody who came near the elephant-cavalry. Elephant. Cavalry. Capoeira was created by slaves using african dance. Wing Chun's history is so shrouded in mystery the closest approximation we have to its actual beginnings are legends about a Shaolin Nun. Pankration is from ANCIENT GREECE.

And don't forget. Krav Maga was invented by a Czechoslovakian during World War II to fight Nazi's, and is now used by the second most bad-ass military on the planet.

Also, Karv Maga is well known for delivering users to a high level of functionality within a relatively short timespan: you will be able to use it effectively and reflexively with comparatively little training(although that's not always a good thing).

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-14, 09:26 AM
And don't forget. Krav Maga was invented by a Czechoslovakian during World War II to fight Nazi's, and is now used by the second most bad-ass military on the planet.

United States? :smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2010-05-14, 09:31 AM
Muay Thai has a history of being used by elite soldiers to kill anybody who came near the elephant-cavalry. Elephant. Cavalry.

I suddenly feel about 10 times more badass.

Jack Squat
2010-05-14, 09:36 AM
United States? :smalltongue:

Heh, I was going to say the same thing. The IDF is much more badass than the US Military. I might be able to find it again, but there's a video somewhere of IDF guys getting in an ambush, where a grenade was thrown at them. One grabs the guy who threw the grenade and uses him as a shield.

That's not really Krav related, but still.

Fake-edit: Video (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd6_1232019761)

RabbitHoleLost
2010-05-14, 10:22 AM
Say, Aikido.

My best friend does this and Iaidō. It is most badass to watch =)

Froogely, if you want to be obscure and badass, I suggest one of those two. Aikido or Iaidō.
Its fairly common in the US, but a lot of people are still "...Whuuut?" when you bring it up.
Plus it might do you some good.

Icewalker
2010-05-14, 11:40 AM
I suddenly feel about 10 times more badass.

Well, there's Muay Thai, and there's Muay Boran. Muay Boran was the original old military fighting style, which was designed to be lethal, Muay Thai is more of the modern martial art as a sport/art (although still a very very effective style). I believe Muay Boran adds striking with your head, and a lot more strikes to the crown of the head and I think temples and some other spots.

Rutskarn
2010-05-14, 11:45 AM
It's definitely a winner for obscure ones. Depends on what you're going for. If you just want obscure, sure, this seems a fine choice, albeit a very difficult one to find a teacher for. If you want brutally effective, go for Krav Maga. If you want stylish, personally my favorite on that side of consideration is Capoeira. Middle ground you get all variety of awesome things like Baguazhang, although generally more on the use than the art side of things.

Of course, if you want an effective self defense measure, buy a can of mace or something.

DemonicAngel
2010-05-14, 11:59 AM

Also, Karv Maga is well known for delivering users to a high level of functionality within a relatively short timespan: you will be able to use it effectively and reflexively with comparatively little training(although that's not always a good thing).

As an Israeli who's going to be in the IDF in two years, and have an older brother in one of the elite units, I gotta ask... who's the first bad-ass army? :P

As for the topic, I find Krav Maga the be the most effective fighting style. but if you just wanna show off, it really isn't for you (Krav Maga is all about naturalizing the threat. dirty tricks are played all around and it isn't an art or a sport as much as a way to knock your opponent hard.)

dehro
2010-05-14, 12:23 PM
sweet tapdancing zombie jesus...

this is so wrong it's making my eyes bleed for having read it.

as an ex martial artist and still an afictionado I must admit that I honestly hope for your own sake that you will focus on school, profession, sex, knitting, baking cakes, computers, football, tennis, swimming, rock climbing...hell..take your pic..
just..for the love of vampire carebears, do please forget about martial arts!

you're doing it for the worst possible motive, and you're going about it in the worst possible way. this means there are good chances that you land yourself in the hands of some unscrupulous tosser who is a selfstyled grandmaster of "kick-fu" or something..who will teach you entirely the wrong things and put you in danger...
or worse, you'll find a good one who happens not to notice what is happening and learn a trick or two to show off to your friends..it will make you cocky, and the first mugger you'll come across and try to defend yourself against will stab/shoot/rape you to death.

EDIT: can we please for once in our lives avoid the endless and useless debate about what martial art is more effective/kick ass/cool/stronger?? it's a question that has no answer.
there are stronger or weaker athletes, good or bad masters/sifu/coaches, good or bad days, real life situations that put us to the test in wartime/streetbrawl/riots/drunken fights as there are properly sanctioned and "supervised" fights on rings, with referees and all. every martial art has good and bad things and is only as good as it's practitioner

Pyrian
2010-05-14, 12:59 PM
:smallbiggrin: What is it about martial arts that brings out the worst - and most judgmental - in people? So far in this thread we've had your choice is wrong, your method of choice is wrong, your motivation is wrong, your spelling is wrong, you should take up knitting, several variations of "you should do what I do", and of course the inevitable arguments about which is most effective and its opposite.

Alright, here's my advice:

Learn to fall. Pick a martial art that teaches you how to fall (and roll). Statistically, that is BY FAR the most useful skill you can pick up from any martial art, and BY FAR the most likely to actually save your life at some point.

Brother Oni
2010-05-14, 02:56 PM
:smallbiggrin: What is it about martial arts that brings out the worst - and most judgmental - in people?

Because someone taking it for the wrong reason is liable to get himself injured or killed in a dangerous situation where he is over confident because of his supposed martial art 'prowess'.

There are other personal reasons for discouraging someone who appears to have a lack of commitment, but personal safety would be a reason that nobody should dispute.

Asta Kask
2010-05-14, 03:08 PM
Because then people do things like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64pViKg9Rcg)

Blood is spilled.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-14, 03:41 PM
Nowhere, since Ninjitsu does not exist, as jitsu is not a valid suffix. There is Ninjutsu, the authenticity of which is disputed, and even if it did historically exist, it is supposed to be far, far more extensive than a single fighting style. The unarmed combat style that is supposed to be taught by ninjutsu is called taijutsu, so you might claim you are learning that. [/rant]

Thank you. Because God forbid I misspell something, someone might not realize what I'm talking about. Even though there is only one art (as far as I know) even close to that spelling, let alone with a simply one letter (a switch of one key on a standard QWERTY keyboard, btw) difference. I would hate for anyone to screw up and think "Oh, wait, he wasn't talking about ninjutsu, cause there's an I there. He must be thinking of Krav Maga or Muy Thai instead" [/rant].

In addition, I never claimed anything about ninjutsu, other to ask where someone would find both a dojo for Muy Thai and Ninjutsu, so get off my case about whether or not it is a real style. Afaik, its neither of our choices.

Asta Kask
2010-05-14, 03:44 PM
Would Piratojutsu be even better than Ninjutsu, seeing as Pirates are better than Ninjas?

Pyrian
2010-05-14, 03:51 PM
Because someone taking it for the wrong reason is liable to get himself injured or killed in a dangerous situation where he is over confident because of his supposed martial art 'prowess'.That happens a lot, but not so much to people who take martial arts because it's "cool" (and you'd be hard put to find anybody who studies martial arts that doesn't at least secretly think it's cool) but precisely because they're taking it to be able to defend themselves fight better.

There are other personal reasons for discouraging someone who appears to have a lack of commitment...Commitment is stressed by teachers not for your sake, but for their own. I think people should feel free to study what they like until such time as they don't want to any more, for whatever reason. The notion that you should be able to make a long-term commitment on a couple-day trial is silly. The notion that leaving after a few months is "disrespectful" is technically correct but also nothing more than a lingering bit of traditionalism that isn't really relevant to the modern era - the student is the customer, now, and a couple months has probably given them a much better idea of what's going on than a couple days does.

...but personal safety would be a reason that nobody should dispute.As I said earlier, the biggest contribution to personal safety is in learning to fall/roll safely. While "4th kyu syndrome" is a real effect that gets stupid people in trouble, stupid people find excuses to get into trouble regardless.

Blood is spilled.Give the guy some credit; he believed his own patter and was willing to test it on film. That's more than a lot of teachers can say.

Anuan
2010-05-14, 04:12 PM
Learn to fall. Pick a martial art that teaches you how to fall (and roll). Statistically, that is BY FAR the most useful skill you can pick up from any martial art, and BY FAR the most likely to actually save your life at some point.

"You should learn what I learned!" :smalltongue:
In seriousness though...
Pyrian is in fact correct. Again.

Learning to fall properly and utilize breakfalls and rolls is an incredibly important thing. It helps even outside of martial situations. Especially outside martial situations, really, since you shouldn't utilize your martial arts unless physical altercations have already begun, and you're generally far more likely to fall over than to have someone throw a punch at you if you can comply with their wishes.

Would Piratojutsu be even better than Ninjutsu, seeing as Pirates are better than Ninjas?

No. :smalltongue:

Worira
2010-05-14, 04:34 PM
Because then people do things like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64pViKg9Rcg)

Blood is spilled.

Oh, that's a common mistake. What he did was, after he got into Iron Body Stance, he also focused his chi into a slash that could cut through iron. Force of habit, you know.

dehro
2010-05-14, 04:53 PM

my reply can only be thus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZWqhr-Nj8&feature=related)

SurlySeraph
2010-05-14, 05:13 PM

By the way, if you want another martial art with a history of being used to fight off European colonizers, focus on weapon use, and decent level of practicality (well, practical if you're dumb and/or unlucky enough to be involved in a club and/or knife fight), try Filipino martial arts.

There is no such thing as a "knife fight" outside of fiction and possibly tournaments.

There is, it's just that they are very unlikely to last more than 15 seconds, and even if you come out better off than your opponent you'll likely be seriously injured and will definitely be cut. As Rose said, if someone has a weapon you should a) run, b) do what they tell you, or c) have a gun yourself. Fighting someone with a weapon unarmed will never, ever turn out well.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-14, 10:39 PM
There is, it's just that they are very unlikely to last more than 15 seconds, and even if you come out better off than your opponent you'll likely be seriously injured and will definitely be cut. As Rose said, if someone has a weapon you should a) run, b) do what they tell you, or c) have a gun yourself. Fighting someone with a weapon unarmed will never, ever turn out well.

That's not a fight, that's attempted murder. :smalltongue:

Well, that's what the courts in Turkey will rule it as, as far as I know.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-14, 10:49 PM
That's not a fight, that's attempted murder. :smalltongue:

Well, that's what the courts in Turkey will rule it as, as far as I know.

I think in the US it depends on where they try to stab you or shoot you. If they don't actually try to kill you, its just aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon, MAYBE assault with intent to kill. Its only if you aim for the head or chest that you might get attempted murder.

TSGames
2010-05-14, 11:25 PM
There is no such thing as a "knife fight" outside of fiction and possibly tournaments.

Yeah... a knife fight never lasts very long, and, once started, it rarely ends without at least one stabbing. However, one unskilled opponent with a knife is hardly any threat to an individual trained to proficiency in disarming and knife fighting. I'm not saying that anyone could do it, rather it's quite the opposite.

That's also what I found so appealing about Krav Maga. At least when I was training, I was taught to always assume that my opponent had a concealed weapon. Personally, I find knife and gun disarming techniques are essential for any modern fighting style. I mean, who is going to try to mug you without a weapon? Indeed, to even assume that your opponent is unarmed(excepting very limited circumstances) is a fatal and foolish mistake.

dehro
2010-05-15, 08:04 AM
I struggle a bit with the notion of "knife fight"... to me, a knife fight is a fight where both parties involved have knives..
the times for "knife duels of honour" is long past, and the only way you can get in a knife fight is by carrying a knife in the first place..and if that's what you're doing, you're doing it wrong.
you're looking for trouble the moment you arm yourself when you get out of the house. not only that.. in most countries I know of, it's illegal to carry a weapon of that nature. it's even illegal to carry a "tool" like a screwdriver, if you have it conceiled and don't have a reasonable reason to carry one in the first place.

so...knife fights are definitely something off the past... or good for hoodlums, petty criminals and such... and if that's your choice of life, I'd rather hope you get into all the trouble you deserve to get. (generic "you" of course)

any other configuration, for me, is assault. whilst I agree that we all should know how to defend ourselves from an unprovoked agression and how to deal with a weapon carrying menace..we should not forget the facts. an assault is an assault, and there is a chance for whoever carries it out to be better prepared for it than we are. on that assumption, the best course of action is either to run or to look for the least damage and for personal safety.
after all, for all we know, the knife wielding agressor may have a friend around the corner, wielding something far more deadly.

practicing martial arts with weapons such as knives should be just that..practice. a responsably approached activity, in an environment as controlled as possible. if you're not in the military, that's all you really will ever need. yes, learning to defend yourself when you're unarmed CAN be a life saver...but the simple fact is that it very rarely is.
it's much more likely to hurt yourself when you practice, when you take your "skills" out of the practice ring, and when you're trying to show off..than it is likely for martial arts to save your life.
(yes, I agree with the tuck and roll...god knows I would have broken a lot of bones falling of horses over the years, had I not learned how to fall...but that's only a minor part, however important, of what martial arts are made off... and one doesn't need to practice muai thai, karate, savate or kali, to learn the basics of how not to fall on your butt. basic phis ed at school used to teach that, in my time)

the genuine facts are that martial arts can have a direct impact on the safety of their practitioners, those who are not practitioners but who may end up suffering the consequences and those who can be directly preyed upon by people who have had some martial arts training. (the silly assumption that all martial artists are good guys and none of them will use the acquired skills to do harm is all to often belied by the news)

now a genuinely passionated martial arts practitioner knows this, puts it into the balace of what may happen... and acts responsibly. people who just approach the martial arts for their "cool" factor, do not.
that's the only reason I cringe when I read about people who approach martial arts to look cool.

TSGames
2010-05-15, 09:34 AM
in most countries I know of, it's illegal to carry a weapon of that nature. it's even illegal to carry a "tool" like a screwdriver, if you have it conceiled and don't have a reasonable reason to carry one in the first place.

This is a major difference between America and most other nations. In the great majority of states, and vast majority of cities, it is not illegal to carry a concealed knife. Gun control is similarly lax. In fact, a majority of states allow for "open carry,"(though many require a permit to do so)[1], and a majority of states will also issue concealed carry permits[2]. As far as weapons go, you should never carry one if you aren't ready, willing, and able to use it.

If someone pulls a knife or a gun, it's always best to do whatever is necessary to survive the encounter; more often than not, this may mean forking over cash. However, if you are reasonably certain that you're going to be attacked, or the mugger/attacker is hopped up on something, it may not make sense to just stand there and get shot/stabbed to death. Those are the times when you need martial defense or a weapon. If you can't have a weapon, you need to learn how to take it from your attacker; in modern times, if a fighting style can't or won't teach you how to do that, then it's not good for much.

The way I figure it, if I can't talk my way out of it, I'm probably fighting for my life; and if I'm not fighting for my life, then why am I fighting? It's for life or death situations that you need martial training and disarmament training, especially if you're not legally allowed to carry a weapon. If, however, you can open or conceal carry a gun, that's much better protection; just make sure you're trained and willing to use it.

1. http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html
2. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

dehro
2010-05-15, 11:16 AM
oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with most of what you say.. I am after all passionate about martial arts even if life has taken me in different directions. (I've always wanted to get back into it and maybe one day I'll do just that)

what I say is that it's one thing to be prepared for when things go wrong..which I am an advocate of
it's quite someting else to get into something (martial arts) for a flimsy reason as to "look cool"..
if you want to look cool, buy some clothes, get a nice haircut, hell..a tattoo if you want to.. there's no need to get into something that yes, "may" make you look cool, but also comes with a set of skills that can cause yourself or somebody else harm.
personally I wouldn't trust somebody with those skills, if all that mattered to him was "do they make me look cool".

as for confrontations. to be quite honest, I find that one's lifestyle, intelligence, caution and capacity of observation are far mor relevant in today's world, to keep oneself out of a scenario that can lead to a confrontation in the first place.
yes, having skills that make you come out on top in a confrontation is good. I cherish the few I have and would have been in quite some trouble on several occasions in the past..(I haven't always been the placid person I am now)
but truth is, very often, it's the situation we work ourselves in that puts us in danger, not a D&D style random and unavoidable encounter.

if you go to see a match, stay clear from the most loud and possibly drunken fans..if you walk alone in a street, try to keep in well lighted areas or to find a route that is not so deserted. keep your purse well close to yourself and possibly out of sight. if you have expensive jewelry try to wear a scarf or a hat or other ways to conceil them if you're in the wrong neighborhood. at parties, don't get out of control/drunk... keep your drinks to yourself. don't get into arguments because you're not prepared to back down if you don't know your opponent.
if there is a potential for confrontation brought ON you, try and put distance between you and the potential agressor..involve bystanders, avoid putting yourself in a position where you can't reach for your mobile and call the cops..
there are tons of different situations..and almost all of them there's a way out that doesn't involve panicking or getting into a fight. primarily though the important thing is to think, so you can avoid such situations to arise in the first place

maybe my coolheadedness is only now that I'm typing...I think not, but don't ask anybody to believe the words of a random guy on the internet...maybe the cool head comes from training in martial arts and being aware of how things can go wrong in an instant, no matter how much one might be trained.
but I stand by what I believe.
nobody should get involved into martial arts for the wrong reasons.
what are wrong reasons is debatable.."purists", military, sporty guys, people interested in history/philosophy or the orient or the middle ages, or indeed live roleplay or whatever..we all have different reasons.
my personal judgement says that "looking cool" is a reason most martial artists will agree with to being entirely wrong.

P.S. one minor observation..yes it may be legal to carry a knife...but let's be honest...how many people who actually do carry a knife really do so for personal defence? and of those, how many actually know how to use one when it comes to it? it's very much more likely that whatever thug they walk into might be able to take it away from them...and then you can only hope he doesn't decide to give it back to you blade first

Froogleyboy
2010-05-15, 06:37 PM
Just to clear it up,maybe I shouldn't use the term "cool" I was talking about how, in all the dexcriptions of it, it seemed graceful, yet brutal, and I love it's history, how only the kings could learn it. Also, the weapons used are just awesome. And, on the topic of "where did they find dojos?", their fathers knew it. They were special forces and the like. My father, on the other hand, is not

TSGames
2010-05-16, 12:01 AM
P.S. one minor observation..yes it may be legal to carry a knife...but let's be honest...how many people who actually do carry a knife really do so for personal defence? and of those, how many actually know how to use one when it comes to it? it's very much more likely that whatever thug they walk into might be able to take it away from them...and then you can only hope he doesn't decide to give it back to you blade first

You're quite right, actually. In my experience, there are generally two types of people that carry concealed knives: the first type, is the kind that you wouldn't want to meet anywhere near a dark alley, and the second is a panzy who couldn't even use the knife if he somehow managed to work up the courage to pull it out. Just my experience; I've met many of each type, but have yet to meet exceptions to this classification system.

It all goes back to the heart of matter: you should not carry a weapon unless you are ready, willing, and able to use it. In my experience, most non-criminal knife carriers meet none of those criteria, and instead seem to carry a knife as a conversation piece(although they will always say something about how 'cool,' 'deadly,' 'sharp,' or 'badass' their knife is, and reiterate these points as justification for carrying the weapon). Don't carry a gun if you are untrained and/or you could never see yourself shooting someone else under any circumstance; the same applies to knives, and certainly to martial training. If a man carries a weapon that he can't use or is not willing to use, then he is a fool and deserves what ever consequences may result from his decision.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-16, 01:48 AM
You're quite right, actually. In my experience, there are generally two types of people that carry concealed knives: the first type, is the kind that you wouldn't want to meet anywhere near a dark alley, and the second is a panzy who couldn't even use the knife if he somehow managed to work up the courage to pull it out. Just my experience; I've met many of each type, but have yet to meet exceptions to this classification system.

Well, I carry knife everywhere I go (except school, of course) because I realize what kind of messed up world we live in. and on the fact of knives as conversation peices. People don't see my knife untill they pull one on me, so . . . yeah. If I'm going out into public, I've got a knife on me, not to be cool, but because I want to make sure I don't go down without a fight. this is the reason I want to learn martial arts. If I get jumped, I want them to be sorry. The reason I picked this particuler martial art, though, is because of it's sheer awesomeness.
Furthermore, to all of you people who keep saying "No, you shouldn't learn martial arts !", I've got a friend in the hospital right now because a drug dealer stabbed him in the gut. If I get put in his position, I want to protect my self.

dehro
2010-05-16, 03:41 AM
Well, I carry knife everywhere I go (except school, of course) because I realize what kind of messed up world we live in. and on the fact of knives as conversation peices. People don't see my knife untill they pull one on me, so . . . yeah. If I'm going out into public, I've got a knife on me, not to be cool, but because I want to make sure I don't go down without a fight. this is the reason I want to learn martial arts. If I get jumped, I want them to be sorry. The reason I picked this particuler martial art, though, is because of it's sheer awesomeness.
Furthermore, to all of you people who keep saying "No, you shouldn't learn martial arts !", I've got a friend in the hospital right now because a drug dealer stabbed him in the gut. If I get put in his position, I want to protect my self.

well..that's a much more reasonable approach..self defence is a more than valid reason to get involved in martial arts
however, let me ask you this... would you carry a bow and arrow for selfdefence if you had never tried to fire at a target? would you carry a gun if you had no idea how to load one? would you jump in a lake if you didn't know how to swim?
assuming the answer to the above to be no...let me ask you: have you ever had any kind of training, or otherwise experimented with knife wielding? tried to pull your knife in a quick movement from whatever pocket you keep it in and flip the blade out with one hand(I assume you're not carrying a dagger or a combat knife)? have you tried doing so whilst sitting or lying on the ground, or running?have you ever actually stabbed a target (any kind of target) or tried out various positions of the blade in your hand, and of your weapon in a defensive stance? have you had any guidance in doing so other than movies and videogames?
if the answer is yes, then..well... I hope you know what you're doing. if your answer is no...then for your own safety I urge you to leave your knife at home. using one effectively in a fight really isn't as straightforward as you may think it is... and you really stand a higher chance to hurt yourself or be hurt by somebody who actually knows what he's doing. thugs and muggers may have practiced martial arts too... or worse, they may have a friend who carries a gun and call him if they see you pulling a knife.
really..without proper training, carrying a knife is irresponsible and will only get you into more trouble
ask yourself this...your friend..if he had pulled a knife..would he have known how to use it? and if not, had he challenged his attacker...what makes you think that he would have left the "job" unfinished? the last thing you want to do when you're being attacked is to give reason to your opponent to do you more harm than he is prepared to inflict on you on his own volition.

from your writing I get that you're a teenager. I started martial arts as a teenager too so I understand where you're coming from. but if self defence is your reason to carry a weapon..be aware that the chances of you surviving a real danger situation with somebody who may have be living on the streets since before you were born, and who might have had his share of fights already...well.. I wouldn't bet on them..and believe me, I am not being condescending.
you might scare away some random junkie, pulling your knife...but in life it's not up to you to decide who you'll be facing..you might stumble on somebody who is tougher, stronger and more experienced and determined than you are... somebody who could use his bare hands to beat you..and if you pull a knife on him he might just decide to use it on you.
am I trying to scare you away from carrying a knife? you bet I am..but for good reason.
leave your knife at home until you know how to use it and are prepared to do so.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-16, 05:38 AM
You frighten me, Froogleyboy. You really do.

Quincunx
2010-05-16, 06:56 AM
I'll save my 'being frightened' to those (count on my fingers) we're up to three Playgrounders who have expressed their intent to kill most or all of us, sans provocation, should the occasion arise--and I read it. Constant vigilance, etc.

That being said, wouldn't armor be better for keeping you out of the hospital? If nothing else, that would take effect immediately instead of after months of training and the confidence it brings may change your demeanor enough to defuse a fight before it starts. Survivalist forums would have discussions on how to armor yourself cheaply and martial arts forums on which armors are ineffective. I don't have info at hand other than "Kevlar in itself is insufficient protection against stabbing wounds".

Froogleyboy
2010-05-16, 10:48 AM
Never mind, guys, I'll forget it. It's obviously not worth it
EDIT oh, and FYI, I'm not new to martial arts, I took Karate for a long time until we had to move away from where the dojo was. I'm just looking to learn a different martial art. I thought that the playground would be a good place to ask because you guys are usually supportive/helpful.

TSGames
2010-05-16, 11:13 AM
Never mind, guys, I'll forget it. It's obviously not worth it
Don't just 'forget it' if you need self defense lessons. Personally, I'd say go with Krav Maga because you can find teachers for it, it is brutally effective, and it plays well with knives. Throw in a little bit of ground training too, if you can.

No one's telling you to give up on something you need. It's just that every time you've posted you make it sound like you want to learn for all the wrong reasons, which is a good way to get killed. Learn how to fight for necessary self defense, or betterment of the self, or to protect people, not because it's cool. If one of your friends was stabbed by a drug dealer, you may, in fact, need to learn some kind of self defense.

Part of the reason I support Krav Maga is that it is extremely practical. For me, from day one of training, I was taught to always assume my opponents had concealed weapons, and I was always trained under the assumption that I was fighting multiple people. Krav Maga is realistic in its assumptions and brutal in its effectiveness. Fortunately, I've never had to use it against multiple opponents because the of brutality of it:every fight that would have had multiple opponents has resulted in one being quickly and brutally defeated, and the others losing their resolve to fight. The moral of the story is take it if you need it, and if you do take it, walk softly and be ready to use the big stick.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-16, 12:20 PM
Krav Maga does seem very useful, I'll look into it

Boo
2010-05-16, 02:30 PM
I'll save my 'being frightened' to those (count on my fingers) we're up to three Playgrounders who have expressed their intent to kill most or all of us, sans provocation, should the occasion arise--and I read it. Constant vigilance, etc.

That being said, wouldn't armor be better for keeping you out of the hospital? If nothing else, that would take effect immediately instead of after months of training and the confidence it brings may change your demeanor enough to defuse a fight before it starts. Survivalist forums would have discussions on how to armor yourself cheaply and martial arts forums on which armors are ineffective. I don't have info at hand other than "Kevlar in itself is insufficient protection against stabbing wounds".

Froogley should just dress up as Batman every day. No one messes with Froogleyman.

More seriously, armour probably won't be efficient. Most knife attackers IIRC attack from the sides, and the weight/structure (even if a light armour) would both restrict movement and speed (and quicken exertion). In the end, when faced with a knife, it's better to know how to run than anything else.

Asta Kask
2010-05-16, 02:43 PM
Krav Maga does seem very useful, I'll look into it

Don't you have a killer pig to protect you?

As an Israeli who's going to be in the IDF in two years, and have an older brother in one of the elite units, I gotta ask... who's the first bad-ass army? :P

Sweden. We haven't been at war for 200 years. No one has dared.

dehro
2010-05-16, 03:06 PM

Sweden. We haven't been at war for 200 years. No one has daredbothered.

edited that for you :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

sorry, couldn't help myself, lol

guys..seriously..armour?

Froogleyboy
2010-05-16, 03:23 PM

Funny story, actually, the other night, my step dad had been drinking and he started screaming at me. And here comes Willa (my pot-bellied pig) charging from my bedroom, squealing as loud as she could. I thought she might have bit a mouse trap again, but she rammed right into my stepdad, knocking him over. I'm not sure if she meant that, or what, but it was hilarious

The Glyphstone
2010-05-16, 03:25 PM
I would have said Switzerland...they got out of WW2 simply by reputation. Plus, the Pope hires their soldiers as his own personal muscle, you don't get much more badass than that. :)

DemonicAngel
2010-05-16, 03:31 PM
I have to say that the only reason the pope doesn't elect from the IDF is because most of the people here aren't really followers of his way ;P

also, the IDF wasn't around at ww2. and have already been in more then enough wars to show how tough they are.

but yeah, Krav Maga. practiced, analyzed, and there's more then enough evidence that it works.

Asta Kask
2010-05-16, 03:33 PM
Funny story, actually, the other night, my step dad had been drinking and he started screaming at me. And here comes Willa (my pot-bellied pig) charging from my bedroom, squealing as loud as she could. I thought she might have bit a mouse trap again, but she rammed right into my stepdad, knocking him over. I'm not sure if she meant that, or what, but it was hilarious

When do we get to see pictures of Willa? Standing upon a mound of skulls...

Froogleyboy
2010-05-16, 04:24 PM
When do we get to see pictures of Willa? Standing upon a mound of skulls...

Well, I don't have any skulls, but I'll take some pics