PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Batman Animated episode...

TinSoldier
2006-06-26, 12:19 AM
I don't have an actual favorite, but I'm watching Batman on TV right now and the episode "Mad Love" is on.

It is definitely one of my favorite episodes. It has Harley Quinn's origin story as well as an in-depth view of Harley and Joker's abusive relationship. It's pretty deep for what is nominally a kid's cartoon.

Two of my other favorites are where Harley tries to buy a dress after going straight, and when she kidnaps Bruce's girlfriend and the girlfriend goes after her anime style with tanks and everything.

I may be remembering things wrong, but "Mad Love" is definitely one of the greatest Batmans of all time. What's your favorite.

Beleriphon
2006-06-26, 12:38 AM
I'm going to have to go with the origin of Mr Freeze. That is a terrific episode.

CelestialStick
2006-06-26, 12:38 AM
I don't have an actual favorite, but I'm watching Batman on TV right now and the episode "Mad Love" is on.

It is definitely one of my favorite episodes. It has Harley Quinn's origin story as well as an in-depth view of Harley and Joker's abusive relationship. It's pretty deep for what is nominally a kid's cartoon.

Two of my other favorites are where Harley tries to buy a dress after going straight, and when she kidnaps Bruce's girlfriend and the girlfriend goes after her anime style with tanks and everything.

I may be remembering things wrong, but "Mad Love" is definitely one of the greatest Batmans of all time. What's your favorite.
I actually don't like that episode. The Harley Quinn who was a psychiatrist was a cool person, and it was painful to watch her become a psycho.

I'm torn between two episodes. In one, called something like Legends of the Dark Knight, or Tales of the Dark Knight, three kids walking home and catching a glimpse of the Batman tell different stories of what he's like. In the first story, he's the Batman of the 1960s with Robin and all the colorful outfits and schticky dialogue and plotlines. It's hysterical! Batman even calls Robin "Old Chum."

In the second tale, Batman is the psychotic tank-driving monster of the 1980s, with a girl as Robin.

Anyway I love the contrasting versions of Batman (and Robin) and especially the statire of the old, loveable, campy Batman of the 1960s live-action series.

Competing with that is the story, titled "Knight Time," in which it turns out Brainiac has taken control of Bruce Wayne, and Superman comes to Gotham City, disguises himself as Batman, and runs around with Robin (Tim Drake) tracking down clues to Batman's whereabouts. That episode has so many good things in it that I have trouble even remembering them all.

Right from the get-go it's great, with Superman confronting Roxy Rocket who has come to Metropolis because in the absence of Batman in Gotham there's just too much compeititon with other crooks there. Roxy tries to outrun Superman flying through a tunnel, only to find Superman waiting on the far side just to snatch her right off her rocket.

Superman flies to Metropolis to investigate, and finds Robin fighting thugs at the Gotham Baseball Hall of Fame. Robin is outnumbered and the thugs have machine guns. Robin though is doing his best, throwing baseballs at the thugs, although obviously overwhelmed. Superman comes to the rescue but Robin whines that he had things under control.

In one scene Superman says, "I don't like all this skulking around," and Robin replies, "Are you kidding? Skulking around is half the fun!" In another scene Superman precisely immitates Batman's voice, and when Robin later asks him how, he immitates Robin's vioce saying, "Precise muscle control." Robin screeches, "Don't do that!" There are all sorts of other funny little touches, like when Superman goes for the Bat-grapple, only to reach on the wrong side and have to be corrected by Robin. Indeed the whole episode is full of Robin whispering things to Superman who, thanks to his super-hearing, can hear what the others they face cannot.

There's a cool scene where Superman is terrifying an uncooperative Penguin, by zipping around the Penguin so fast that the Penguin can't see him and runs headlong into him. There's another scene where Robin tells Superman to bang the desk to frighten some other non-cooperative criminals, only Superman reduces the desk to splinters. ARound the same time, Bane drops something heavy on Superman (disguised as Batman of course) who then just pushes it casually out of the way before sending Bane flying across the room.

An at the every end, Superman, who sees through Batman's gruff exterior to his heart of gold, says something like, "For a loner, you sure collect a lot of friends."

Edit: Since "Knight Time" is technically a Superman rather than Batman episode, I suppose that makes "Tales of the Dark Knight" my favorite Batman episode.

Beleriphon
2006-06-26, 12:45 AM
I'm torn between two episodes. In one, called something like Legends of the Dark Knight, or Tales of the Dark Knight, three kids walking home and catching a glimpse of the Batman tell different stories of what he's like. In the first story, he's the Batman of the 1960s with Robin and all the colorful outfits and schticky dialogue and plotlines. It's hysterical! Batman even calls Robin "Old Chum."

I need to find this episode. Although the Superman as Batman would be a great episode as well. Do you have a name on that one CS?

Eriol
2006-06-26, 12:45 AM
There's an old series of episodes that was on one of the animated series... the one from the early 90s or late 80s I think, but anyways, it was Batman's battle against an AI named HARDAC (I think that's the name). It made some robots that acted human, with some of them even thinking they WERE human. It... got into your head.

And then later, it found out that Bruce Wayne was Batman, and doubled him... and that clone survived when HARDAC was destroyed, though took it's memories. Then it tried to replace Bruce Wayne.

But the thing that was the most "whoa" of it was when the robot thought that it had killed Bruce by throwing him off a chasm in the Batcave, it couldn't deal with it. It was so much a copy of Bruce, even down to personality, that it couldn't deal with the fact that it had taken a life (which was, in that series at least, a cardinal rule: Batman doesn't take lives). And so it suicided, and then you see that the real Bruce was still alive (he'd caught onto a ledge in the dark chasm).

Anyways, the AI aspect wasn't bad, and the fact that Batman himself may even go nuts if he were to kill somebody... made it memorable. Maybe somebody else remembers as well, and has a better description.

Beleriphon
2006-06-26, 12:50 AM
Anyways, the AI aspect wasn't bad, and the fact that Batman himself may even go nuts if he were to kill somebody... made it memorable. Maybe somebody else remembers as well, and has a better description.

His Silicon Soul was the name. Thats is a very cool episode.

CelestialStick
2006-06-26, 01:01 AM
I need to find this episode. Although the Superman as Batman would be a great episode as well. Do you have a name on that one CS?

Yes, it is titled, "Knight Time" and you can find a synopsis at http://www.tv.com/superman/knight-time/episode/75386/recap.html
Technically, however, this came out as an animated Superman, rather than Batman, episode.

Beleriphon
2006-06-26, 01:15 AM
I don't really distinguish between the DCAU series since they are so interlinked its nearly pointless.

CelestialStick
2006-06-26, 01:26 AM
I don't really distinguish between the DCAU series since they are so interlinked its nearly pointless.

I agree, but if you want to buy the episode, you'll need to look at DVDs with the Superman series.

Beleriphon
2006-06-26, 02:01 AM
I agree, but if you want to buy the episode, you'll need to look at DVDs with the Superman series.

Buy.... yeah... thats what I was going to do. I'm going to have to go get those shows on DVD at some point.

Holy_Knight
2006-06-26, 02:41 AM
Man... you guys have already mentioned most of the ones that intially came to my mind, and practically in the same order. A couple that haven't been mentioned yet that I think are contenders are "Almost Got Him", where the villains talk about the times when they almost succeeded in killing Batman, and the one which is Barbara's nightmare where Gordon blames Batman for Barbara's death and hunts him down. Of course, that whole series was phenomenal, and I'd be hard-pressed to think of a bad episode.

Oh yeah, I just remembered! I also particularly like "Christmas With the Joker"--especially the awesome touch where Joker actually sings the "Batman Smells" version of Jingle Bells! :D

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-26, 03:15 AM
There are many I enjoy, but my brothers and I all agree on "Judgement Day". It presents an interesting development in Two-Face's already damaged psyche, which splits further into a third person, making him a living example of Freud's id, ego, and superego. His third self, The Judge, may have killed off The Riddler in this episode (this, and the Bat-Embargo, made him unavailable for any appearances in Justice League).

"Feat of Clay" was a great two-part episode, and if you're willing to overlook the fact that he looks like a seven-foot-tall sentient bowel movement, Clayface is a great villian. His transformation into a monster is suitably gross and disturbing.

Mad Hatter, voiced by the late Roddy McDowall, was also disturbing, but for different reasons: he was a stalker proficient with electronics. "Mad as A Hatter" and "Perchance to Dream" were possibly his best appearances.

And I simply adored Roxy Rocket. You gotta love a girl who rides around on an obviously phallic conveyance. The first time I saw "Ultimate Thrill", and her capture by Batsie, I'm all, "Ohmigod, that chick's gettting off!" :o

AmoDman
2006-06-26, 04:53 AM
Gosh, I haven't seen that series in so long, I don't actually remember any of the particular episodes, just vague memories. Though all the ones mentioned brought images and vague dialogue flashing through my head. I bet if I watched them I'd recall seeing most all of them before. Darned good ol' cartoons...I actually liked the X-men one, as well, as un-related as that is.

aaronbourque
2006-06-26, 07:42 AM
There cannot be only one. Batman: The Animated Series was as close to batting 1000 as any animated series could get.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; even the kind of lame ones like "The Lost" or whatever the sewer king total rip-off of Oliver Twist one was had really cool stuff in 'em.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-26, 08:11 AM
I don't remember the title but I recall an episode where he has to travers a large hedge mage and confront the Minatour in the center.

Honestly I never liked B:tas because as younger kid I just rememer seeing the the intro song and scaring the crap out of me if I was alone(the Scobby doo theme song beginning had the same effect)

Tarlonniel
2006-06-26, 09:22 AM
Heart of Ice,mentioned above, is probably my favorite. But I also loved both parts of Robin's Reckoning.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-26, 10:03 AM
My personal favorites are as follows, though I can remember them only vaguely;

First, the episode in which Batgirl has a nightmare about Commish Gordon hunting down Batman and Nightwing et. al. as vengeance for her death, if I recall.

Second, not sure why, but the episode where Poison Ivy seemingly attempts to settle down in suburban life. I just liked the tone of it.

Third, if I recall...this one's the most vague memory wise, since I haven't seen the show in forever...Ras Al'ghul (or however you spell it) in the wild west, fighting a pre-batman-batman on a giant airship, in flashback? Can't think of the details.

And of course, HARDAC.

That show was amazing. I'm a huge fan of old.

TinSoldier
2006-06-26, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I don't think I've seen the one where Gordon hunts down Batman and the others...

I remember that "Legends of the Dark Knight" episode. It was very good. CS, the Batman with the tank and the girl Robin is straight out of Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns."

Oh, I think I've seen the Superman Episode "Knight Time" which I liked as well.

Eriol
2006-06-26, 12:17 PM
The one where The Penguin tries to go straight is also quite interesting. He's out on parole, goes to dinner with a woman, and is attempted to be mugged outside the restaurant. He defends himself and her, then Batman comes in, basically saying "I knew you couldn't go more than 24 hours w/o commiting a crime again." And of course, she defends him, and Batman lets him go... but basically The Penguin isn't left alone so he CAN go straight, and by the end of the episode, it's more tragic than anything that he IS drawn back in to crime, with the implication that in a small way, Batman, through his assumption that Penguin would re-offend, is responsible for it too. Penguin was very much the protagonist in that episode, and you felt sorry that he couldn't stay clean, mostly through little fault of his own.

And as others have said, this show was one of the best, and it very-nearly did bat 1.000 on quality episodes. It was done exquisitely. Can anybody here mention the exact name of the series? I honestly don't remember, and I may want to go out and rent these sometime if they're on DVD. ;)

Beleriphon
2006-06-26, 12:45 PM
In the second tale, Batman is the psychotic tank-driving monster of the 1980s, with a girl as Robin.

This is actually one of the scenes from Dark Knight Returns. The whole Batman is crazy is played way up, but the tank like batmobile is there. Without context it seems way more violent and nuts then it is, but still they used the scene nearly panel for panel and line for line. I was very impressed with this episode. Very cool stuff.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-26, 01:16 PM
Third, if I recall...this one's the most vague memory wise, since I haven't seen the show in forever...Ras Al'ghul (or however you spell it) in the wild west, fighting a pre-batman-batman on a giant airship, in flashback? Can't think of the details.

Ah, yes, "Showdown". This episode is notable for two reasons: it's the first animated appearance of Jonah Hex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex), and the final role of the late Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched), as a barmaid. I recall seeing this one around the dorm, and the reaction of a cleaning lady who was a bit unnerved by Hex's grotsque disfigurement.

SilverKnight is referring to "If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?"--Riddler's debut. "Bat...something-or-other, isn't it?" ;D

WampaX
2006-06-26, 01:26 PM
Tough to decide.
Over the Edge, Heart of Ice, House and Garden, and Growing Pains all spring into my mind at once, each for different reasons. If forced, I'd have to go with Over the Edge.

My favorire Harley episode is . . . ummmm . . . all of them really. Harley's Holiday, Mad Love, Harlequinaide, Harley and Ivy all snap for me, even when she is just there as a supporting character, she shines.

I also like the ending of Perchance to Dream. If the rest of the episode had been as solid as the Hatter's final speech, that episode would be up in my top 5.

Idiotbox90
2006-06-26, 02:19 PM
I think my favorite episode was titled Joker's Millions. In it the Joker inherited a lot of money from a rival crime boss. He used this money to go straight and lived eccentrically for a while. However, it turned out that he inherited some real money, but most of it was fake. The best line was where the Joker said that he was willing to fight Batman, but not the IRS.

Ing
2006-06-26, 02:44 PM
the one where Arkham inmates put Batman on trial for ruining their lives. hillarity insues as each witness inadvertantly damns themselves under oath. Joker's the judge, 2 face the prosectuer. best part was the end where they find him not guilty, Joker announces that he's proved they really are just screwed up and twisted on their own...and to prove it they're gonna kill batman anyway.

Steward
2006-06-26, 06:46 PM
that in a small way, Batman, through his assumption that Penguin would re-offend, is responsible for it too. Penguin was very much the protagonist in that episode, and you felt sorry that he couldn't stay clean, mostly through little fault of his own.

Some of the blame has to go to Veronica Vreeland for toying with him like that.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-26, 06:50 PM
Ah, yes, "Showdown". This episode is notable for two reasons: it's the first animated appearance of Jonah Hex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex), and the final role of the late Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched), as a barmaid. I recall seeing this one around the dorm, and the reaction of a cleaning lady who was a bit unnerved by Hex's grotsque disfigurement.

SilverKnight is referring to "If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?"--Riddler's debut. "Bat...something-or-other, isn't it?" ;D

That's the one all right. Jonah Hex is another of my favorite heroes.
I think I may have to join the throng praising
heart of ice; I don't think I need to mention his disastrous recent versions, but the Mr. Freeze of this show we're discussing was multi-layered and interesting.
And reasonably low on horrible cold/ice/freezing related puns.

TinSoldier
2006-06-27, 12:01 AM
Ooh. Legends of the Dark Knight is on Boomerang right now! (*watches tv*)

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 01:00 AM
Buy.... yeah... thats what I was going to do. I'm going to have to go get those shows on DVD at some point.

Yeah, mind-reading is one of my superpowers. ;)

Man... you guys have already mentioned most of the ones that intially came to my mind, and practically in the same order. A couple that haven't been mentioned yet that I think are contenders are "Almost Got Him", where the villains talk about the times when they almost succeeded in killing Batman, and the one which is Barbara's nightmare where Gordon blames Batman for Barbara's death and hunts him down. Of course, that whole series was phenomenal, and I'd be hard-pressed to think of a bad episode.

Oh yeah, I just remembered! I also particularly like "Christmas With the Joker"--especially the awesome touch where Joker actually sings the "Batman Smells" version of Jingle Bells! :D

I have some recollection of all of these. I never remember who it was who had the nightmare about Barbara dying. Was it hers? I thought it was actually Batman's.

The one where they talked about how they nearly got him was funny, but I didn't think it was particularly great, because each of those villains should have killed him at least once, if not on several occasions. The standard Bat-plot goes like this: Batman encounters villain while unprepared and villain hands Batman his butt; villain, a psychopathic murderer who has killed children, for some reason fails to kill Batman but gloats over him and leave him alive instead. Batman returns with new Bat-gimick that allows him to beat villain, and send him (or her) back to Arkum, where the villain gets at least three episodes off before his or her next appearance.

"I nearly got him" would amuse me more of they actually ever really tried to kill Batman instead of just incapacitating him and gloating.

I have a vague recollection of laughing hysterically when the Joker himself started singing the Batman version of Jingle Bells! ;D

Heart of Ice,mentioned above, is probably my favorite. But I also loved both parts of Robin's Reckoning.

What happened in Robin's Reckoning, and which Robin was in it?

Tough to decide.
Over the Edge, Heart of Ice, House and Garden, and Growing Pains all spring into my mind at once, each for different reasons. If forced, I'd have to go with Over the Edge.

My favorire Harley episode is . . . ummmm . . . all of them really. Harley's Holiday, Mad Love, Harlequinaide, Harley and Ivy all snap for me, even when she is just there as a supporting character, she shines.

I also like the ending of Perchance to Dream. If the rest of the episode had been as solid as the Hatter's final speech, that episode would be up in my top 5.
Can you summarize the plots of some of these episodes for those of us who don't know most of the episodes by name?

This reminds me--I do recall one bad episode: Poison Ivy created plants that look liked like real women and lure rich men into marriage. I thought that was not merely stupid, but pathetically stupid. :D

the one where Arkham inmates put Batman on trial for ruining their lives. hillarity insues as each witness inadvertantly damns themselves under oath. Joker's the judge, 2 face the prosectuer. best part was the end where they find him not guilty, Joker announces that he's proved they really are just screwed up and twisted on their own...and to prove it they're gonna kill batman anyway.
That was an excellent episode. I got quite a kick out of Joker announcing that they were all really screwed up on their own. :D

Ooh. Legends of the Dark Knight is on Boomerang right now! (*watches tv*)

Score! What is Boomerang? Is that a Spanish-language network? If they're showing Legends of the Dark Knight t hey should rename it Baterang. ;)

Holy_Knight
2006-06-27, 04:18 AM
"I nearly got him" would amuse me more of they actually ever really tried to kill Batman instead of just incapacitating him and gloating.
That reminds me of another funny episode, actually. Catwoman and Batgirl have teamed up, and the bad guy (Rupert Thorne, I think) has got them trapped. One of them says something like: "So what now, going to put us in some horrible deathtrap?" To which Thorne replies: "No, I've noticed that you types are really good at escaping from dangerous situations. I'm just going to shoot you." They manage to fight the bad guys off, of course, but it was a great self-deprecating line...

I have a vague recollection of laughing hysterically when the Joker himself started singing the Batman version of Jingle Bells! ;D
Yep, my sister happened to be watching it with me when I saw it, and she thought that was great too! Also, after seeing Harley Quinn in some episodes, she fell in love with the character, and now she even collects Harley Quinn comics. Before that, she'd never had any interest in comic books.

This reminds me--I do recall one bad episode: Poison Ivy created plants that look liked like real women and lure rich men into marriage. I thought that was not merely stupid, but pathetically stupid. :D
You know what though? Even though that may not have been the best episode overall, it still had one of the greatest scenes in it. At the end, we see Batman holding onto a rope from a helicopter, flying away from the burning wreckage of the cruise ship where he defeated the plant women. Having realized that his love, marriage, and perfect woman were all a lie, he takes out his wedding ring, and flicks it into the sea. That is so hardcore, it makes up for the rest of the episode. :D

Tarlonniel
2006-06-27, 08:46 AM
What happened in Robin's Reckoning, and which Robin was in it?

As far as I'm concerned, there was only one Robin - **** Grayson. Robin's Reckoning details his backstory and his final showdown with the guy who killed his folks. Part 1 won an Emmy, I believe.

Beleriphon
2006-06-27, 08:51 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there was only one Robin - **** Grayson. Robin's Reckoning details his backstory and his final showdown with the guy who killed his folks. Part 1 won an Emmy, I believe.

But you're missing the awesomness that is Nightwing that way!

I did see Knight Time (the Superman posing as Batman episode) and I agree with CS, its very funny.

WampaX
2006-06-27, 09:48 AM
Can you summarize the plots of some of these episodes for those of us who don't know most of the episodes by name?

Over the Edge - Barbara dies, Gordon goes after Batman full bore.
Heart of Ice - Mr. Freeze's origin
House and Garden - Poison Ivy gets married and settles down
Growing Pains - Tim Drake befriends a young girl and tries to keep her safe from her father

Harley Eps
Harley's Holidy - Harley is released from Arkham but has trouble fitting back into normal life
Mad Love - Harley's origin
Harlequinaide - The Joker has stolen a nuclear bomb and Batman needs Harley's help to track him down
Harley and Ivy - Harley and Pamela team up to take on Gotham

Perchance To Dream - Batman is trapped in a dream world where everything is perfect for him

I had seen most of these mentioned already, but not Growing Pains which has one of those hard and fast lessons for Tim Drake to learn that you can't save people from some things, no matter how much you want to or how hard you try.

WampaX
2006-06-27, 09:59 AM

**** Grayson growing up and finding his own identity as Nightwing is part of the Batman mythos, now. It would have been kind of callous for Bruce Timm to turn his back on the fans and ignore that fact.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-27, 10:23 AM
Ah... Batman tAS. Good times, good times. I'm still partial to The Demon's Quest and just about anything else with Ras Al Ghoul. Who else remembers Batman Beyond? That rocked too, especially Return of the Joker (the unrated version's better, more killing)

TinSoldier
2006-06-27, 10:30 AM
Score! What is Boomerang? Is that a Spanish-language network? If they're showing Legends of the Dark Knight t hey should rename it Baterang. ;)I've got DishNetwork. Boomerang is a channel owned by Cartoon Network that shows older cartoons. Flintstones, Scooby Doo, etc. A lot of really old stuff too, but some more recent ones like the Batman and Superman and shows like that.

I'ts a great channel. In between shows they often show the cheesy old superhero cartoon shorts from the '60s and '70s. I've seen the Wondertwins, Aquaman, and others.

Here's a link to the schedule. (http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/servlet/BoomerangServlet?action=selectBMDay)

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-27, 10:48 AM
That reminds me of another funny episode, actually. Catwoman and Batgirl have teamed up, and the bad guy (Rupert Thorne, I think) has got them trapped.
It was Roland Dagget, actually. He was a corrupt local businessman (voice of Ed Asner) responsible for both Matt Hagan's mutation into Clayface and Catwoman's near-fatal illness in "Cat Scratch Fever". Roland Dagget was a local crime boss who looked remarkably similar to Jonathan Winters. He was responsible for Harvey Dent's disfigurement and hiring Bane to crush Batman.

Oh, who could forget "Beware the Creeper", in which Joker actually begs Batman to save him from a monster he's created. "He's crazy!"

Steward
2006-06-27, 10:48 AM
I'ts a great channel. In between shows they often show the cheesy old superhero cartoon shorts from the '60s and '70s. I've seen the Wondertwins, Aquaman, and others.

I remember those.

"Aquaman, urgent news! The ocean is on fire!"

Eriol
2006-06-27, 11:54 AM
Another that just occurred to me that hasn't been mentioned yet was the one in which Catwoman is kidnapped, taken to an island, and actually turned INTO a humanoid cat by a mad scientist. He basically wanted to "let her be herself" (as he saw it), while also providing a companion for the cat-man that he created. It was strange, since in the end, the cat-man (name was Tigress IIRC) DID love her, but because he did, he gave her the antidote to turn her human again, since he saw that she couldn't be happy the way she was. After he gives her the vial, an exchange between them (as he is slowly walking away) ensues:

Catwoman: Tigress! Come with us! There's nothing for you here!
Tigress: There's nothing for me... anywhere. (and he doesn't look back either as he says it)

I always remembered that line. In the end, the cat-man was far more human and understanding than the scientist who created them. He accepted the burdon of sorrow, since otherwise he would only be creating even more sorrow in Catwoman.

Anybody know the title of this one? Was a multi-parter... I think.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-06-27, 12:17 PM
Who else remembers Batman Beyond? That rocked too, especially Return of the Joker (the unrated version's better, more killing)

Terry: "How did you know you were still sane?"
Bruce: "Because the voices were calling me Bruce."
Terry: "What did you expect them to..."
Bruce: *significant glance*
Terry: "...oh. (Batman voice) But that's my name now."
Bruce: "Tell it to the voices."

WampaX
2006-06-27, 12:27 PM

Tyger, Tyger
Tygrus was the cat-man.

It was a relatively poor Island of Dr. Moreau/Most Dangerous Game mad scientist story until the third act.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-27, 12:36 PM
That was "Tyger, Tyger", and it was a single episode. This one has created some debate, because when the series revamped Catwoman was a brunette, and it was said (in an accompanying comic book) she quit dying her hair blonde after finding out her hair products were tested on animals...but the fur that covered her body was blonde, which would imply she is actually a true tow. So there is some inconsistency here.

Tygrus somehow escaped the island and appeared in Gotham in a B:TAS comic book story, "House of Dorian." Duped by his "father" Emil Dorian, along with fellow mutants Man-Bat (who here was not Langstrom, but another unfortuante doctor) and Anthony Romulus ("Moon of the Wolf"), he attempted again to kidnap Selina.

It's also worthy to note that Selina is completely naked as a cat-girl...so shouldn't she have multiple sets of breasts like a real female cat?

Eriol
2006-06-27, 12:56 PM
It's also worthy to note that Selina is completely naked as a cat-girl...so shouldn't she have multiple sets of breasts like a real female cat?
Hey, it's genetically altered already to be bipedal, intelligent, etc, so let's just "accept" that a numerical reduction was part of it as well. ;)

Thanks for telling me the title guys. Where are you guys getting your info anyways? Some episode list somewhere?

WampaX
2006-06-27, 01:08 PM
Thanks for telling me the title guys. Where are you guys getting your info anyways? Some episode list somewhere?

Memory for me (I own them all on DVD).

Wikipedia has an episode list/synopsis as well for both B:TAS and The New Batman Adventures.

Eriol
2006-06-27, 01:44 PM
Wikipedia has an episode list/synopsis as well for both B:TAS and The New Batman Adventures.
Ya, I found the article on that after I posted before. For the benefit of others: Episode list for Batman: TAS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_episodes_of_Batman:_The_Animated_Series) on wiki.

Might be worth it for me to buy those DVDs. I really liked that show when it was on.

WampaX
2006-06-27, 02:00 PM
Ya, I found the article on that after I posted before. For the benefit of others: Episode list for Batman: TAS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_episodes_of_Batman:_The_Animated_Series) on wiki.

Might be worth it for me to buy those DVDs. I really liked that show when it was on.

And don't forget The New Batman Adventures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Batman_Adventures#Episode_list) which is what the show was called after its redesign and move off of Fox.

I think that The New Batman/Superman Adventures had a really nice credits sequence blending both musical themes together.

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 03:23 PM
But you're missing the awesomness that is Nightwing that way!

I did see Knight Time (the Superman posing as Batman episode) and I agree with CS, its very funny.
I have to agree with Beleriphon and WampaX; the transformation of Robin into Nightwing has a special place in Bat-continuity (unlike the perverse antics of Batman Mary Sue the gloater). It makes sense that Robin would grow up and become independent, and while I basically missed both Jason Todd and Stephanie Brown (from the Dark Nut Returns), I liked the Tim Drake Robin as portrayed in The New Batman/Superman adventures. I understand, however, that he's really an amalgam of Jason Todd and the comic book Tim Drake, who was a great detective in his own right. From what I hear of the comic book Tim Drake, he's probably the best Robin of them all, at least in terms of skills, and as with the various Doctors, I'm willing to give a chance to ones who take over from the version I first knew.

There's an excellent scene in one of the New Batman/Superman Adventures episodes in which Batman and Robin, holding vigil on a rooftop, run across Nightwing. Batman makes some critical comment about how Nightwing's skills are deteriorating as Batman heard him all the way across the rooftop. Later Tim Drake comments on how stubborn Nightwing is--just like Batman. Like father, like son? ;)

Knight Time is not only funny, it's touching, especially at the end where Superman recognizes that Batman's grumpiness is at least part a cover for the heart of gold. But the very fact that Superman will don the mantle of the Dark Knight demonstrates Superman's profound virtue, itself one of the virtues of this particular episode. :)

I've got DishNetwork. Boomerang is a channel owned by Cartoon Network that shows older cartoons. Flintstones, Scooby Doo, etc. A lot of really old stuff too, but some more recent ones like the Batman and Superman and shows like that.

Here's a link to the schedule. (http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/servlet/BoomerangServlet?action=selectBMDay)

Gah! I'd better not even look as I'm too poor to afford satellite or a bigger cable package. I might be tempted to try to get government to impose taxes on people who actually work most of the time in order to pay for more leisure-time activities for me. :D

Another that just occurred to me that hasn't been mentioned yet was the one in which Catwoman is kidnapped, taken to an island, and actually turned INTO a humanoid cat by a mad scientist. He basically wanted to "let her be herself" (as he saw it), while also providing a companion for the cat-man that he created. It was strange, since in the end, the cat-man (name was Tigress IIRC) DID love her, but because he did, he gave her the antidote to turn her human again, since he saw that she couldn't be happy the way she was. After he gives her the vial, an exchange between them (as he is slowly walking away) ensues:

Catwoman: Tigress! Come with us! There's nothing for you here!
Tigress: There's nothing for me... anywhere. (and he doesn't look back either as he says it)

I always remembered that line. In the end, the cat-man was far more human and understanding than the scientist who created them. He accepted the burdon of sorrow, since otherwise he would only be creating even more sorrow in Catwoman.

I don't recall the title, but it was indeed an excellent episode. In fact this thread is excellent because it's a reminder of just how many excellent episodes that they made!

Someone mentioned that Batman Beyond rocks, and that combined with the discussion of the Batman episode "Tyger, Tyger" reminds me of one of the absolute best moments in Batman Beyond. Terry has just had to make a decision whether to turn over his new girlfriend, a member of the Royal Flush gang, to the police, or let her escape even though she's a criminal. At the very end he talks to Bruce about it, and he says, "Let me tell you about a woman named Selina Kyle." It was so touching--the first time that Bruce really accepts Terry as I recall--that it brings tears to my eyes. It's funny how something so small can be so good. :)

WampaX
2006-06-27, 04:02 PM
I don't recall the title, but it was indeed an excellent episode . . .

with the discussion of the Batman episode "Tyger, Tyger"

Wow. I'd heard of selective memory, but I never thought I'd see it in action not 5 lines of text apart. ;D

Epilogue, though an episode of JLU, is the best capstone the Batman side of the DCAU could have. It was a thing of beauty to witness every thread of continuity handled with such care and precission.

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 05:14 PM
Wow. I'd heard of selective memory, but I never thought I'd see it in action not 5 lines of text apart. ;D

I think you're rather confused. I wrote the portion about not knowing the name in response to an earlier post. Then when you identified the name of the episode, I used the name in an edit to my post. That has nothing to do with "selective memory," a phenomon in which someone remembers only what he wants to.

Epilogue, though an episode of JLU, is the best capstone the Batman side of the DCAU could have. It was a thing of beauty to witness every thread of continuity handled with such care and precission.
Yes, another one of the many excellent episodes in the Dini continuity, which, from what I can tell, utterly surpasses the offical current comic book continuity.