PDA

View Full Version : Batman v. Roy

CelestialStick
2006-06-23, 01:59 AM
I've got to give this one to Batman. Roy is smart but not at the level of Batman, and he has a nice sword but not the plethora of Bat-gadgets to help him out. Plus Batman's got to be at least a 20th level monk, whereas Roy is only about a 7th-9th level fighter, according to Rich.

What about Batman v. the whole OOTS?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-23, 02:06 AM
Roy and/or the OotS wins in a straight-up fight, but Batman wins with preperation.

;D

Holy_Knight
2006-06-23, 02:36 AM
Aren't the OoTS like level 12 by now? I think the 7-9 thing was at the beginning of the strip.

And I agree, Batman beats Roy. Especially if Elan defects and joins him as "Chickadee". If he ever encountered the whole order, it would probably go something like this:

The OoTS and Batman somehow mistakenly think each other are bad guys, and end up fighting. Batman disables Elan with minimal damage done (painless nerve pinch or something), incapacitates Vaarsuvius with some kind of flash bomb that temporarily deafens and disorients him, and uses evasive fighting techniques to make Belkar, Roy, and Haley keep crashing into each other and not be able to get clean shots in. (Durkon tries a few turn undead attempts, mistakenly thinking Batman is a vampire. When he realizes he's not one, he can't decide whether to help the Order or surrender, because he's no longer sure that Batman is an enemy.) Somewhere in the course of all this, the Order explains that they aren't really bad guys. Even though Batman is a hardass, he's still way more reasonable than Miko, so he listens, and everything gets explained. They all team up, and Batman comes up with a plan that uses everyone's abilities to maximum effectiveness, even Elan's. Finally, Belkar makes some quip about how this comic was mostly a ripoff of their first Miko fight, and Elan writes a great new "Batman" song that sounds parodically similar to the Adam West Batman theme.

reorith
2006-06-23, 08:02 AM
whats up with this "with preperation" nonesense? how come no one ever admits that batman could be beat hands down by anyone tougher than him?

this is why roy beats batman
1. good bab progression
2. power attack chain
3. weapon specialization
4. good ac
5. bag of tricks

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-06-23, 09:00 AM
Batman vs. the OotS is almost identical to Miko vs. the OotS. Gizmos to immobilize, crazy moves to take em down, and...runs Belkar over with the Batmobile.

Beleriphon
2006-06-23, 09:44 AM
whats up with this "with preperation" nonesense? how come no one ever admits that batman could be beat hands down by anyone tougher than him?

Largely becasue thats one of Batman's defining traits. He's very, very good at explointing his oppenents weaknesses. That being said if he's nevery fought an opponent before he needs time to learn about them and prepare for the fight. That being said I think that in any first encount, except against a pathetic mook type, Batman will generally lose the fight or use it to test his opponents abilities. Thus the OotS is a pretty easy target after the first fight.

Also for fun you could actually have them fight. Using Mutants and Masterminds we could build Roy et al. in that system. The M&M boards have a wide selection of very, very good character builders. One poster has 200+ super heros that are as close as a RPG system can get to representing them. Batman ends up about PL11 (that would be about the same as an 11th level D&D character), so he already starts off slight more powerful than Roy. That being said Roy would be something of a weapon master type, and thus would be able to dish out the damage and take it in return, but would likely be unable to avoid Batman's array of gizmos, feints and other trickery.

It comes down to Roy being able to hit Batman, if he can then its going to hurt. By the same token Batman relies largely on stealth and sneak attacks (they do not work the same way as in D&D when using M&M due to the damage system) to surprise and defeat his oppents.

Really Batman doesn't even need to get the drop on an opponent, it helps though. He succeeds because he's pretty darn scary, and he can use surprise and trickery in a fight. He isn't a stupid fighter, but neither is Roy. This is one fight I would pay to see.

Kontonshin
2006-06-24, 07:31 PM
I think it would really depend on how much Bruce Wayne looked like Elan.

Beleriphon
2006-06-25, 11:55 AM
I think it would really depend on how much Bruce Wayne looked like Elan.

Thats only true if we wanted Roy to take levels in barbarian.

turkishproverb
2006-06-26, 06:47 PM
If Elan go's down first, this'd be a tough fight. If not, Batman takes them all down sheerly because of Elan's screwing up the orders plans.

Steward
2006-06-26, 06:50 PM
If Elan go's down first, this'd be a tough fight. If not, Batman takes them all down sheerly because of Elan's screwing up the orders plans.

It's Batman vs. Roy, not Batman vs. the entire Order.

Holy_Knight
2006-06-26, 08:53 PM
It's Batman vs. Roy, not Batman vs. the entire Order.

What about Batman v. the whole OOTS?
It's both.

Santiago
2006-06-27, 10:46 AM
Hello! First time poster, long time reader.

I think Batman with preparation is unbeatable. 8)

Otterella
2006-06-27, 02:22 PM
Batman relies largely on stealth and sneak attacks (they do not work the same way as in D&D when using M&M due to the damage system) to surprise and defeat his oppents.

And we all know how abyssmal all the OotS's spot/listen checks are. And Batman is too smart to fall for the goblin ninja trap.

Axl_Rose
2006-06-27, 08:07 PM
You people are terrifyingly obsessed with Batman.

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 08:22 PM
You people are terrifyingly obsessed with Batman.

I am Batman.

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 08:39 PM
Aren't the OoTS like level 12 by now? I think the 7-9 thing was at the beginning of the strip.

And I agree, Batman beats Roy. Especially if Elan defects and joins him as "Chickadee". If he ever encountered the whole order, it would probably go something like this:

The OoTS and Batman somehow mistakenly think each other are bad guys, and end up fighting. Batman disables Elan with minimal damage done (painless nerve pinch or something), incapacitates Vaarsuvius with some kind of flash bomb that temporarily deafens and disorients him, and uses evasive fighting techniques to make Belkar, Roy, and Haley keep crashing into each other and not be able to get clean shots in. (Durkon tries a few turn undead attempts, mistakenly thinking Batman is a vampire. When he realizes he's not one, he can't decide whether to help the Order or surrender, because he's no longer sure that Batman is an enemy.) Somewhere in the course of all this, the Order explains that they aren't really bad guys. Even though Batman is a hardass, he's still way more reasonable than Miko, so he listens, and everything gets explained. They all team up, and Batman comes up with a plan that uses everyone's abilities to maximum effectiveness, even Elan's. Finally, Belkar makes some quip about how this comic was mostly a ripoff of their first Miko fight, and Elan writes a great new "Batman" song that sounds parodically similar to the Adam West Batman theme.
ROFL! Good parady of the whole "Mikos defeats OOTS while Durkon does nothing" storyline. Extra points for the idea of a new Batsong written by Elan. Now what would be some good words?

Beleriphon
2006-06-27, 09:41 PM
Bat, bat, bat, bat the Batman perhaps. Knowing Elan he'd end up written the lute version of the 60s TV show theme.

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 09:48 PM
Bat, bat, bat, bat the Batman perhaps. Knowing Elan he'd end up written the lute version of the 60s TV show theme.
Those do sound like words Elan would create, but they don't fit the tune.

Batman
her name is Mary Sue and she's
Batman
Makes a Belkar stew and she's
Batman, Batman, Batman!